Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > General BMW

General BMW
Use this forum to talk about general BMW news/stories and to chat with fellow enthusiasts about the direction that BMW is going in for their cars and/or motorcycles!

Old 12-10-2002, 12:53 PM
King of Rear Clunks

Mein Auto: 01 325iT, 88 M6
Angry J Mays taking credit for Range Rover interior

Um, hello, BMW sold Ford the Range Rover after it was already done. Any E38/39/46/53 owner will do a double-take when they sit in a Range Rover.

From AutoWeek:

---------------------------
Automotive News:
We've heard Robert Lutz say General Motors will make better interiors a priority. It appears you already have made them a priority, with the Navigator and Range Rover.

Mays:
We are two years ahead of General Motors on our interior program. We identified interiors as a competitive advantage about four years ago. The Navigator, Aviator and Range Rover are really the first fruits of that labor. You will see in the new F-150, when it comes to market (in early 2004), that we've actually managed to bring that quality down into the mass markets as well. And we will trickle down that same type of quality into our other mass-market vehicles, like Mustang, Ford 500 and Ford Freestyle. So I feel strongly that it wasn't luck or something we got lucky on with these vehicles. We put a very disciplined process in place four years ago, and we've been very committed to delivering a much higher quality of materials.

Automotive News:
The Range Rover's interior has received rave reviews for its style and high-quality materials. How will you capitalize on that?

Mays:
We'll use that same design DNA in the new Discovery and new smaller Land Rovers we bring to market over the next few years. That will be a brand characteristic.
Advertisement
Old 12-10-2002, 02:37 PM
Code 66

Mein Auto: .
i saw a list of similar features on some board, it was quite lengthy. Seeing the range rover in magazines and car show, the two most familiar looking BMW accents to me were its navigation system and rims similar to style 44s.
Old 12-10-2002, 02:43 PM
King of Rear Clunks

Mein Auto: 01 325iT, 88 M6
Quote:
Originally posted by Mathew
i saw a list of similar features on some board, it was quite lengthy. Seeing the range rover in magazines and car show, the two most familiar looking BMW accents to me were its navigation system and rims similar to style 44s.
The NAV is the most obvious in small photos. I had a chance to sit in one a year ago. Everything is familiar. All the plastics feel the same; the lock plungers, buttons, lighting, handles, carpet, vents, are all totally BMW, not to mention the M62 under the hood...

Right after it came out, some Ford execs were asked if they planned on changing the drivetrain or suppliers or anything now that it was their product, and said the existing stuff was 'too good' to bother changing.
Old 12-10-2002, 02:51 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 528i
Its too bad that BMW isn't letting that same "design DNA" trickle-down into its own cars. The e65's interior is of far lower quality and design than the Range Rover's. I'd guess that this is due to Reitzle having more influence on the Range Rover before it get sold to Ford.
Old 12-10-2002, 05:10 PM
Code 66

Mein Auto: .
not a great picture, but here's the navi system.

Id like to see a better pic of the shifter, it looks similar to the auto shifter in the Z4 i think. I didnt take notice of it when i sat in the rover
Old 12-10-2002, 05:17 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Nick325xiT 5spd Send a message via AIM to Nick325xiT 5spd Send a message via Yahoo to Nick325xiT 5spd
Mein Auto: M3 & 323i/999 KP
Damn, those are BMW seats, too.
1990 325is Brilliantrot/Tan
1989 325is S50B30US Alpinweiß/Black
1989 M3 Alpinweiß/Black S50B32 (321hp, ITBs)