Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)

E36 (1991 - 1999)
The E36 chassis 3-Series BMW was a huge hit among driving enthusiasts from the first moment the car hit the pavement. The E36 won numerous awards over the years it was produced and is still a favorite of many BMW enthusiasts to this day! -- View the E36 Wiki

Old 10-30-2006, 05:34 AM

Mein Auto: 1991 318i
Dash board light out/only the speed and tac.

Is this a normal problem on 91 318i. Where can I find instructions to replace bulbs? Where can I find bulb or what type of bulb do I use? Autohause only has the assembly for the dash board lights. Do you really need to take the steering wheel off to replace the bulbs?
Thank You
Advertisement
Old 10-30-2006, 01:25 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 85 VW Quantum
you can get the bulbs from autozone or napa, and yes take the wheel off to get cluster out. just becareful to leave the power off while the cluster is out so you dont trip the SRS light.
Old 10-30-2006, 02:26 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 540TI,e36325,e30325
http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/...usterbulbs.htm
Old 11-01-2006, 07:44 AM
Couldnt afford a real one

Mein Auto: E36 coupe with 2JZ 3.0TT
It can be done without removing the steering wheel.... but its a very tight fit between the wheel and the centre vents.

Easiest way to get the cluster out is to remove the trim panel above the pedals, then reach up and push the cluster out from behind. The electrical plugs will still be hard to get to afterwards without removing the steering wheel, but its not impossible.