Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)

7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Discussion pertaining to the flagship BMW here.

Old 10-31-2006, 09:48 AM
Meet You There

Mein Auto: 2003 745i
Adding subwoofers

I am trying to find a way to put subwoofers into my car, i have went to a couple of different stores (Tweeter, towson and columbia) and all of them have said they dont know how too.... I was just wondering if anyone has added a subwoofer to they're car and know how it was done???? Thanks
Ads by Google
Old 10-31-2006, 01:04 PM
Master of the Universe

Mein Auto: 2004 745Li
That's sad that stereo install shops can't figure it out. If you have the LOGIC 7 you can steal the signal from the factory subs and run that to the trunk. I've heard of people taking the signal from the rear speakers as well(I think in that case you would want to run a crossover to only allow bass frequencies) Just a thought. Good luck....I'll be in your shoes soon but DFW has alot of good custom shops.
Old 10-31-2006, 01:11 PM
///M for Motor Sports!

Mein Auto: No More 6 Series
Ouch...

Just make sure you stay away from the small shops that say they can do it...

You need a Warranty my friend or you will be up the creek should something happen and BMW voids your warranty.

I say, come up to NY and choose Unique Whips! They do this stuff with EASE!

2008 Alpine White, Portland Brown ///M5 (SMG)
2008 Alpine White, Fox Red ///M3 (6MT)
2008 Sapphire Black, Black 750Li
Old 10-31-2006, 01:27 PM
Master of the Universe

Unique whips is amazing but they'll probably want your first born after the press they've been getting.
Old 10-31-2006, 02:45 PM
what?

Mein Auto: e65
unique's quality doesnt look all that fantastic when I watch the show...
Old 10-31-2006, 08:49 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1998 740IL
WCC makes Unique whips look like baby sh*t. Unique whips are crappy.
Old 10-31-2006, 09:25 PM
Master of the Universe

okay back to helping this guy get his subs installed. He lives in baltimore...go with it.
Old 11-01-2006, 06:25 AM
Meet You There

It looks like more than likely I will have to take the trip...But nobody knows anywhere in B-more, with a good reputation.
Old 11-01-2006, 07:59 AM
Banned

Mein Auto: 745i
If you have logic 7, I would leave it alone. That's funny that tweeter said they could not do it. I got mine done at tweeter. I don't really like it, but it could be because ot the cheap crap I put in it. I will upgrade later, but right now it's not really on my mind. Have the installer call the tweeter in Frisco TX. It took them a while, but they got it figured out. They will have to use the cigarettle lighter outlet down by the passerger foot as a remote. Took my guy like 2 hours for that. Hell I did not even know it was there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JA 7 View Post
That's sad that stereo install shops can't figure it out. If you have the LOGIC 7 you can steal the signal from the factory subs and run that to the trunk. I've heard of people taking the signal from the rear speakers as well(I think in that case you would want to run a crossover to only allow bass frequencies) Just a thought. Good luck....I'll be in your shoes soon but DFW has alot of good custom shops.

Last edited by black_ace; 11-01-2006 at 08:02 AM.
Old 11-01-2006, 12:49 PM

Mein Auto: 2005/745il
relpy regarding the Subwoofers

Subwoofers on the E65/E66 are located on the front outer sides of both front seats( below the seat bolt). You have to remove the front seats to get to the subs. The power feed to the speaker is easy to remove once the seat is out of the way. If you want to retro fit the current 8"speaker, you my be able to custom fit a 10" speaker with higher output. It may require additional power and amp.
Locating the speakers in the interior would be better sound quailty then the trunk.

Let me know how it works, i may take the same path.

P.S. Currently looking for a BMW TECH. For engine modification or overhaul on n62 2005745il, please reply.
Old 11-02-2006, 12:39 PM
what?

the logic 7 amp is not even going to come close to powering a 10" sub so forget about it.

This is a very simple add on folks I dont know why everyone is so confused. If you are super anal about sound quality like myself, then get the components that I listed in my "sound system installed" write up. If you just want some bass and u arent really picky then do this:

1) buy a 2channel LOC that has a signal sensing remote turn lead option.

2) remove left panel in trunk, Logic 7 amp is the big silver box that has "L7" logo on it. Look at the harness. You will see twisted pairs of wires. These are output speaker wires. You will see that two pairs are thicker than the other pairs. These are the subwoofer speaker wires. So now you have 4 thick wires, twisted together as two pairs, each pair consists of the +/- wire going to each sub. there are two factory 8" subs, hence there are two twisted pairs of wires coming from the amp. Splice these 4 wires.

3) tap the LOC into the wires you just spliced. Left and Right channels.

4) wire up your +12v power for your amp and find a place to ground it

5) mount sub and amp in trunk

6) run power and ground to amp. For the remote turn on, take the 5th wire that comes from the LOC and stick it into the REMOTE terminal on the amp. THERE IS NO NEED TO RUN WIRES INTO THE CABIN AND TAP FOR A +12V SIGNAL. THERE IS NO NEED FOR SWITCHES. ANYONE THAT SAYS THERE MUST BE SHOULD NOT BE WORKING ON YOUR CAR.

What this setup is doing is taking the high level output from the factory subwoofer speaker wires and converting it to a low level (RCA) signal via the LOC. The LOC with remote turn on option has a circuit in it that senses input signal then converts it to a +12v signal to turn on the amp. So if the headunit is on, then the amp will turn on. If the headunit is off, then the amp is off. The signal that you are giving to your aftermarket amp is that of the Logic 7 amp giving to the stock 8" subs. Your aftermarket amp is then amplifing that signal to power your new aftermarket subwoofers.

The thing that scares most installers off about the 7series is that the output from the headunit to the L7 amp is a digital optical cable, not traditional analog RCA. This is true, but there is nothing digital about the output from the amp to the speakers. just plain old speaker wires right there.
Old 11-03-2006, 06:11 AM
Meet You There

Thanks Jacksprat thats the most helpful info yet ...appreciate it
Old 11-28-2006, 11:26 AM

Hello everyone, first post! I've got the Logic 7 system in a 2003 - 745i.

Just curious if anyone knows the answer, as I am adding an amp & subs soon... so some specifics would be appreciated.

Is the output from the amp to the 8's filtered with a high pass frequency?

I know it's probably lowpassed somewhere around 80-120 Hz, but if it's high passed at somewhere around 40 Hz then any amp & subs I may add will be receiving a filtered signal and might not be getting the signal from like 20-50Hz which is what my subs would need.

Thanks!
Old 11-29-2006, 01:23 PM

So nobody knows about the existing sub signal filtering?

I wonder if I can get my hands on the complete Logic7 system specs and/or wiring diagram. Where to look?

Thanks in advance!!
Old 11-30-2006, 09:10 PM

Mein Auto: '94 325i
Thumbs up Running from rear speakers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JA 7 View Post
I had a friend help me out, and when we were first looking, we thought that I was going to HAVE TO buy this PAC OEM-2 Universal Sound System Interface unit from crutchfield that splits your current wires from the deck and then adds 2 sets of RCA connectors for amps. But it turns out he's a freaking genious (Because I searched around for about 4 hours the other night for a way around splicing the stereo deck cables and found nothing) and he thought of this way of just splicing into the 2 rear speakers. It was one of those jobs where we figured out each step AS we were doing it, but it turned out great.
I would only suggest doing this if you know how to splice wires, because there is A LOT OF THAT, and I would have been screwed had he told me how to do it and then said "See Ya' Later." Seriously, take the time with someone else to do it, you WON'T regret it. It took us about 3 hours after removing the backseat, center console, panels,etc... and running the remote wire to the deck and splicing into that. If anyone wants more info about this, I think you could maybe find it by searching for "Rear speaker splicing". The sound quality is supposedly SLIGHTLY reduced this way, but if your just hooking up subs...you can't tell the difference. I know I don't think I could have.
I now have 2 DUAL 12" Subs in a fiberglass case hooked up to a DUAL 580W AMP and after tuning it...I love it...other than the HUUUUGE amount of trunk space that I lost, but, oh well. Thanks for all the help guys for me being able to search for other repair things about my bimmer and finding, never would've happened had forums not been created about these things.
Old 12-01-2006, 10:52 AM
what?

Why are you splicing into your REAR speakers for a signal? the rear speaker is high passed by the L7 amp. You are getting high passed frequncies. Splice into the SUBWOOFERS for your signal. Unless of course, you dont have the L7 soundsystem, then dont mind what I just said.

Still, a non L7 soundsystem should still have a small amp in the left side of the trunk, you can get the signal there. No need to take apart everything to get to the rear speakers.