Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > Site Sponsors & Bimmerfest Group Buys

Site Sponsors & Bimmerfest Group Buys
Looking to get some great BMW parts for your car? Get the latest info on sponsor group buys, new products or simply ask a site sponsor a question here!

Old 11-10-2006, 11:56 AM
european auto source

Mein Auto: BMW
[eas] * New product announcement * DICE High Definition Radio w/ iPod Integration!

What is HD Radio?

Throughout the US, thousands of radio stations have already adapted HD Radio® technology. With the addition of our HD Radio® Integration Kit, you can listen to this "All Digital" HD Radio® broadcast delivering CD-quality sound, higher highs and lower lows, right to your vehicle's existing audio system.

How does it work?
Basically, digital radio works the same as conventional radio. There’s a signal on one end and a receiver on the other. But there are a few key differences:

- Instead of sending out one analog signal, stations send out a bundled signal both analog and digital. Because it is digital, textual data such as traffic, stock info and song titles can be sent out, as well.
- The digital signal layer is compressed.
- The combined analog and digital signals are transmitted.
- Inevitably, radio signals bounce off objects, causing what is called multipath distortions. This is what causes the static in conventional radio receivers. HD Digital radio receivers are designed to sort through reflected signals, reducing static, hiss, pops and fades.
- Finally, the signals reach their destination. Both broadcasts are free, with no subscription fee. To hear the digital broadcast, all you need is our HD Radio receiver!

HD Radio includes artist, album and song information in its broadcasts. Future content may include real time traffic information for your area. The best news, HD Radio is not a subcription service. You get all this content for free!

HD Radio Coverage Map:

Darker areas indicate zones with greater coverage.

Ever wished you could get the same quality of sound from your radio as you do from your CD? Or that your radio signal didn’t fade out just when you wanted to listen to the game? Now you can.

Get the kind of sound that was previously reserved for your HDTV, CD system or MP3 player. Get it on your radio. And get it for free!

- CD-quality sound
- Crystal-clear reception
- No station drop-off
- No static, hiss or audio distortion

HD Radio is on the rise! Are you ready?
Over 1000 radio stations are now broadcasting in HD Radio quality and 1000s more are to come. However, most car manufacturers will not offer HD Radio compatible receivers in their vehicles until 2007 or 2008. Take control and listen now, with HD-DICE!

How Does HD Dice Work?
The radio station that you listen to broadcasts a digital signal. This digital signal contains the data for all the features that HD Radio© technology offers. Your car's factory antenna recieves this data and the HD-DICE Module turns this data into music that you can clearly hear and information that you expected from your radio. HD DICE is capable of receiving HD1 and HD2 broadcasts.

But Wait! There's More!
How can a good product get better? By integrating the best iPod integration kit available into the HD-receiver as one! Yes, our DICE iPod integration kit is now built into the HD receiver box for the best of woth worlds and an unlimited supply of music. Simply plug in your iPod (connector available seperately) and have instant iPod control, charging and text display at your fingertips! More information on the DICE iPod kit features can be found on our site.

Models Supported:

1999-2006 3-series, including M3 (not for i-Drive models)
1997-2003 5-series, including M5
09/1998-2001 7 series
2004-2007 X3
2000-2006 X5
2001-2002 Z3, including M-Roadster/Coupe
2003-2007 Z4, including M-Roadster/Coupe
2000-2003 Z8

Compatible for both Navigation and Business CD vehicles. Installation is simple for the DIY type and should take no longer than 90 minutes.

Compatible with the following iPod versions:

** BONUS REBATE OFFER **

Act now in order to get a $30 rebate for even more savings! A link to the rebate form can be found here:

HD DICE w/ iPod integration kits are schedules to ship on November 20th. Preorder to reserve your kit today!

DICE High Definition Radio w/ iPod Integration
http://www.europeanautosource.com/pr...roducts_id=467

Those that preorder will get free shipping. Questions about installation, features and HD Radio are welcome in this thread.

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM
Ads by Google
Old 11-10-2006, 03:05 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '10 Genesis V8 Tech
OMG, I just bought my DICE iPod integration kit two weeks ago. Will there be an upgrade plan?
Old 11-12-2006, 08:30 PM
Go Gators

Send a message via AIM to BmW745On19's
Mein Auto: 745i
I see, once again, DICE does not support '02-Current 7 Series, but BMW does have HD radio in their cars as an option now. Can I retrofit it to my car?

The Only 745i to Consider
Old 11-12-2006, 08:32 PM

Mein Auto: a steak
WHat about the 2007 M6 convertible... is that supported?
Old 11-13-2006, 09:25 AM
european auto source

Quote:
Originally Posted by BmW745On19's View Post
I see, once again, DICE does not support '02-Current 7 Series, but BMW does have HD radio in their cars as an option now. Can I retrofit it to my car?
Quote:
Originally Posted by BHR4CE1
WHat about the 2007 M6 convertible... is that supported?
Sorry guys, this is not compatible with MOST vehicles.

Old 11-13-2006, 09:26 AM
european auto source

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeOut View Post
OMG, I just bought my DICE iPod integration kit two weeks ago. Will there be an upgrade plan?
Yes, we plan on offering an upgrade path for current DICE users.

Old 11-13-2006, 10:58 AM
figuring out my iDrive

Mein Auto: '11 535 GT xDrive
If I understand the wiring diagram, it's either this or Sirius...not both. Correct?
Old 11-13-2006, 11:17 AM
european auto source

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexhair View Post
If I understand the wiring diagram, it's either this or Sirius...not both. Correct?
Not true - you can have both.

Old 11-13-2006, 12:42 PM
jb & ab

Mein Auto: X3 jb F250/5th wheel ab
anyone interested in a used ice-link

OR MAYBE Tom will let us trade them in
Old 11-13-2006, 10:30 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 330i black on black
That sounds sweet! It certainly seems a better deal than the BMW Ipod adapter that is $320 excluding installation cost, and excluding HD Radio

For a 330i 2006 model, what are the installation steps? Is it easy to do yourself, or can you recommend shops in Los Angeles?

Is the extra $39 docking cable necessary, or is it the same as the one that comes with the Ipod (firewire or USB)?

Thanks.
Old 11-13-2006, 10:36 PM
european auto source

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vr00m View Post
That sounds sweet! It certainly seems a better deal than the BMW Ipod adapter that is $320 excluding installation cost, and excluding HD Radio

For a 330i 2006 model, what are the installation steps? Is it easy to do yourself, or can you recommend shops in Los Angeles?

Is the extra $39 docking cable necessary, or is it the same as the one that comes with the Ipod (firewire or USB)?

Thanks.
The iPod interface cable is specific to the DICE kit, it will be required if you want iPod integration. The installation is very simple and can be completed in a little over an hour.

Since you are in the LA area, we can perform the installation for you if needed. Contact me via email and we can set up an appointment as soon as the kits arrive in stock.

Old 11-13-2006, 11:24 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 330i black on black
Tom. Thanks for the quick reply.

Some more questions, and I apologize if you have already answered them in other threads.

If you install it, how much extra is it? Where does the kit go? Where does the ipod go? Completely out of sight I hope.

From the telephone number I am guessing Orange County. What city?

Cheers!
Old 11-13-2006, 11:33 PM
european auto source

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vr00m View Post
Tom. Thanks for the quick reply.

Some more questions, and I apologize if you have already answered them in other threads.

If you install it, how much extra is it? Where does the kit go? Where does the ipod go? Completely out of sight I hope.

From the telephone number I am guessing Orange County. What city?

Cheers!
I'm a huge fan of stealth appearances. You can take a look in my own 3 and I'll list off 10 items you won't see unless its pointed out.

Contact me via email or phone tomorrow morning and we'll get your location so I can get you an estimate and an appointment availability.

Old 11-14-2006, 10:10 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 330cic
Tom, as you know I'm about to Ipod my 330cic (waiting on the eurotray cupholder piece). Now I have to decide on the HD Dice versus the stabdard Dice. Do either kits require extra parts (wires) for Ipod intergration? Thanks.
Old 11-14-2006, 10:24 AM
european auto source

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Down in NYC View Post
Tom, as you know I'm about to Ipod my 330cic (waiting on the eurotray cupholder piece). Now I have to decide on the HD Dice versus the stabdard Dice. Do either kits require extra parts (wires) for Ipod intergration? Thanks.
The HD Dice has an additional mini antenna for reception, otherwise all other connections are the same.

Old 11-14-2006, 09:05 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 X3 28i
I'm a new BMW owner of only a few months ('04 325xi). I've been reading up on Tom's posts on the DICE iPod unit for the past couple weeks now. I think I'm ready to buy one as a nice Christmas present for myself.

Now that I'm ready to buy, there's this new posting that says there's a newer better HD radio version! The price isn't too much higher so I'm not worried about that, but now I'm concerned of the installation. Where does the antenna for this unit go? Is the DICE unit bigger than the previous version? From the pictures it looks huge.

I'm a novice at ripping into the insides of my car (my previous experience was installing the alarm into my car 2 weeks ago). Would this installation have me yelling curses at neighbors walking their dog? Are there any installation guides out there for this new HD Radio/Dice integration unit?

If I lived in SoCal I would have Tom install the thing, but I'm in the other side of the country, so I'm all on my own.

Last edited by link01; 11-14-2006 at 09:09 PM.
Old 11-15-2006, 01:51 PM
european auto source

Quote:
Originally Posted by link01 View Post
I'm a new BMW owner of only a few months ('04 325xi). I've been reading up on Tom's posts on the DICE iPod unit for the past couple weeks now. I think I'm ready to buy one as a nice Christmas present for myself.

Now that I'm ready to buy, there's this new posting that says there's a newer better HD radio version! The price isn't too much higher so I'm not worried about that, but now I'm concerned of the installation. Where does the antenna for this unit go? Is the DICE unit bigger than the previous version? From the pictures it looks huge.

I'm a novice at ripping into the insides of my car (my previous experience was installing the alarm into my car 2 weeks ago). Would this installation have me yelling curses at neighbors walking their dog? Are there any installation guides out there for this new HD Radio/Dice integration unit?

If I lived in SoCal I would have Tom install the thing, but I'm in the other side of the country, so I'm all on my own.
The dimensions are approximately 9"x3"x2", much smaller than some OEM equipment. The antenna is glass mounted and can be hidden just about anywhere in the vehicle.

We'll have installation guides very soon after release.

Old 11-17-2006, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom @ eas View Post
The HD Dice has an additional mini antenna for reception, otherwise all other connections are the same.
So to be 100% clear, please state exactly what you need to buy (docking wires?) to intergrate an IPod and the costs. Do this for both the HD and non-HD kits. Thanks.
Old 11-17-2006, 10:31 AM
european auto source

Quote:
So to be 100% clear, please state exactly what you need to buy (docking wires?) to intergrate an IPod and the costs. Do this for both the HD and non-HD kits. Thanks.
If you want iPod integration, you need the optional iPod docking cable. Otherwise - you're already set!

Old 11-17-2006, 11:50 AM

Quote:
If you want iPod integration, you need the optional iPod docking cable. Otherwise - you're already set!
So do both the standard IPOD DICE kit and the new HD version require a purchase of the docking wire or does the standard one come with one?
Old 11-17-2006, 01:20 PM
european auto source

Quote:
So do both the standard IPOD DICE kit and the new HD version require a purchase of the docking wire or does the standard one come with one?
Standard DICE kit comes with the iPod Dock cable already. The HD DICE requires the additional dock cable if you want iPod integration.

Old 11-17-2006, 05:41 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 X3 28i
Quote:
The dimensions are approximately 9"x3"x2", much smaller than some OEM equipment. The antenna is glass mounted and can be hidden just about anywhere in the vehicle.

We'll have installation guides very soon after release.
I guess I'll have to give up the preorder free shipping cause I'll feel more confident when I see the installation guides.

Considering it is 9" x 3" x 2", where would the best place for the module to be located. Will this still fit inside the center console? I'm still a little confused on where the antenna wire would thread to and from to make it seamless.
Old 11-17-2006, 05:53 PM
european auto source

Quote:
Originally Posted by link01 View Post
I guess I'll have to give up the preorder free shipping cause I'll feel more confident when I see the installation guides.

Considering it is 9" x 3" x 2", where would the best place for the module to be located. Will this still fit inside the center console? I'm still a little confused on where the antenna wire would thread to and from to make it seamless.
Typically this can be placed underneath the front seat or behind the glovebox. The antenna can be placed on the inside of the glass for HD reception.

Old 11-19-2006, 12:11 PM
Ubergeek

Send a message via AIM to KrisL Send a message via Yahoo to KrisL
Mein Auto: 330i ZHP
Quote:
Typically this can be placed underneath the front seat or behind the glovebox. The antenna can be placed on the inside of the glass for HD reception.

So the HD-DICE control box, like the regular DICE, is on the ipod end of the cable? Seemed much more convenient with the icelink setup, where the control box was on the cd changer end of the cable.

The wire that connects into the ipod dock connector is much thinner and would be easier to run than the large cable between the cd changer connection and the DICE controller box. Would there be signal loss issues around a long dock cable?
Old 11-19-2006, 12:57 PM
european auto source

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisL View Post
So the HD-DICE control box, like the regular DICE, is on the ipod end of the cable? Seemed much more convenient with the icelink setup, where the control box was on the cd changer end of the cable.

The wire that connects into the ipod dock connector is much thinner and would be easier to run than the large cable between the cd changer connection and the DICE controller box. Would there be signal loss issues around a long dock cable?
The ice>Link (not the plus) had 2 control boxes, one on the CD Changer side and another on the end of the cable. This will position the DICE box on the end of the harness like the DICE and the ice>Link Plus and have a port for the iPod docking cable.

The docking cable is approximately 3 feet, with the trunk harness being about 12 feet. This should be more than enough length to reach anywhere in the vehicle.