Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 11-15-2006, 02:34 PM
TXSunDvl

Mein Auto: '01 325Ci, ZSP, '08 CR-V
Power steering pump problems

Well, on Friday I will be getting my power steering pump replaced for the fourth time in 5-1/2 years. Fortunately, it's all been under warranty or has been warrantied by BMWUSA. Anyone else have this much problem with theirs?
Old 11-16-2006, 05:47 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '11 335d, '00 540iT
Have 3 BMWs, never a PS pump problem

Have 3 BMWs, never a PS pump problem. Sounds kinda wierd. I do replace the PS fluid on every oil change as preventitive, but still, you should not have had any failures.
Old 11-16-2006, 06:15 AM

Mein Auto: 325CIC, 335CIC
Wow - replacing your PS fluid every oil change - that sounds a little extreme - How often do you change your oil? I certainly would not be changing my ps fluid every 7500 miles, and if your waiting for the BMW oil change interval, you'd be better off changing your engine oil more and PS fluid less. I would recommend doing it occassionally however - every 50000 miles or so or 3 or 4 years - it doesn't really break down like engine oil, more like brake fluid, gets contaminated and should be changed more like brake fluid or tranny fluid etc.
Old 11-16-2006, 06:29 AM

Mein Auto: '11 335d, '00 540iT
A little clarification

A little clarification. I change the engine oil every 7500 miles. When I said I changed the PS fluid, it's sort of. I simply suck out what I can from the resavoire with a turkey baster and refill it. So I'm changing about 1/3 the fluid each time. Only takes a minute and I dump the PS fluid into the oil container for recycling. A $5 gallon of dextron lasts for years. After a few years the PS fluid looked so nasty I figured it couldn't be good.

Did not feel like disconnecting PS hoses to do an true full flush every few years and just decided this was sooo much easier, and like I said, takes only a minute. Also felt it was just easier and less complicated to do it each oil change rather than to keep track of when it was done last.
Old 07-04-2009, 09:39 AM

Mein Auto: 325i
Bill, I have the same problem. My pump just went out for the third time in 3.5 years which is why I am on this blog. It seems extreme to me. I recall the first time it went out I called BMW USA and they told me the original pump may have been faulty. They told me their was a known issue that was fixed. Now I am on the third one my mechanic uses new parts (so he says) now it needs the lines fixed as well. Every time it goes out something else related needs fixing too. They are quoting me $1300
Old 07-04-2009, 10:15 AM

Mein Auto: 325ci
I got the same problem

I got a 05 325ci. I have the power steering pump problem on my way from Dallas to Austin. I parked my car on the roadside for about an hour and when I start my car again, there was noises as I steered my wheel. I got to BMW Austin before they closed door. They said it was power steering problem, but it's safe for me to drive back to Dallas. So I have to cancel my trip and headed back to Dallas.

Very frustrated. I just took my car to a dealer before my trip. Luckily, there are still two days before my original warranty expires. I am going to take my car to the dealership on Monday to verify and fix the problem.

One thing I like to add is the BMW roadside assistance does not live up to the BMW brand. When I called they cannot offer any technical advises nor can they offer me any reasonable solution. They said the only option is have my car towed and left in the nearby dealership which is in Austin. And the dealership closed 2 days for the July 4th. That means I have to leave my car in Austin for 3 nights. And they did not offer my anything like alternative transportation or trip interruption benefit as they claimed in their promotion materials.
Old 07-04-2009, 10:18 AM
Ubergeek

Send a message via AIM to KrisL Send a message via Yahoo to KrisL
Mein Auto: 330i ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by kc1976 View Post
One thing I like to add is the BMW roadside assistance does not live up to the BMW brand. When I called they cannot offer any technical advises nor can they offer me any reasonable solution. They said the only option is have my car towed and left in the nearby dealership which is in Austin. And the dealership closed 2 days for the July 4th. That means I have to leave my car in Austin for 3 nights. And they did not offer my anything like alternative transportation or trip interruption benefit as they claimed in their promotion materials.
I've never seen any of that claimed in promotion materials. Roadside assistance is the same as AAA - both contracted out to local tow companies. That's all.
Old 07-04-2009, 11:59 AM

Mein Auto: 325ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisL View Post
I've never seen any of that claimed in promotion materials. Roadside assistance is the same as AAA - both contracted out to local tow companies. That's all.
check this out

http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Conte...ssistance.aspx
Old 07-04-2009, 12:03 PM
Ubergeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc1976 View Post
Interesting. So it sounds like you can be reimbursed (they don't cover you up front, the brochure says you can be reimbursed). Have you submitted receipts for reimbursement?
Old 07-04-2009, 02:03 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 335i Sport 6MT
Going on 8 yrs on the original pump, something else has to be wrong.

08' E90 335i, Sport, Premium, Logic 7, 6-spd
01' 330i TiAG, ZSP, ZPP, ZCW, 5spd - R.I.P 04/12- gone but not forgotten.
Old 07-04-2009, 02:07 PM
Ubergeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunal_d View Post
going on 8 yrs on the original pump, something else has to be wrong.
+1
Old 12-07-2009, 01:14 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 BMW X3 3.0i
Bumping this thread up to see if anyone has a solution for this issue. my brother-in-law's 2003 325i had it's second PSP failure in 6 months that it has been with him. Here is a little history:
1. PSP dies, we replaced it ourselves with a used PSP.
2. Noise from steering after a couple of months, PS fluid low, topped it up all is well.
3. PSP dies again after another couple of months.

We showed it to a local indy that specializes in BMWs and they told us that the circled rubber part in attached picture is sucked in, so the whole steering gear needs to be replaced. This is more than a thousand dollar part and about 350 in labor. Any ideas guys.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	steering problem.jpg
Views:	474
Size:	26.9 KB
ID:	211026  

(OO \ (|||) (|||) / OO)