Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > General BMW

General BMW
Use this forum to talk about general BMW news/stories and to chat with fellow enthusiasts about the direction that BMW is going in for their cars and/or motorcycles!

Old 12-16-2002, 01:50 PM
TD

Mein Auto:
Thumbs down In light of the coupe facelift pics, this spy shot of the new 5er looks legit

Advertisement
Old 12-16-2002, 01:55 PM
Car Junkie

Mein Auto: '88 M3, Ex-'99 M3
Re: In light of the coupe facelift pics, this spy shot of the new 5er looks legit

Quote:
Originally posted by TD

I still think it's Photochopped, but perhaps in an effort to predict the headlight design.

'88 M3
Conforti chip, Evo airbox/K&N filter, UUC short shift kit, oil pan baffle, Hella H4 lights, OEM glass sunroof
sold: '99 M3 Coupe
Cosmos Black
Airbox baffle removed, ZKW ellipsoid headlights, UUC short shift kit, BMW x-brace, debadged

'96 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo V8
(Support Vehicle)
Old 12-16-2002, 01:58 PM
Account closed at users request

Mein Auto:
Take a very close look at the headlights..not the fine brush light source on the outside, but the headlite "light source" itself. Its quite evident that the headlites are photoshopped.
Old 12-16-2002, 01:59 PM
fahrer

Mein Auto: doesn't have rear fogs!
P-shopped. The reflection in and on the bezels is a dead giveaway.
(and lack of grain, and angle, and feathering, and that tape marks, etc.)
Old 12-16-2002, 02:00 PM
King of Rear Clunks

Mein Auto: 01 325iT, 88 M6
...but the parking lights/signals remaining in their 'conventional' positions will save it from the one feature that makes the E65/E85 front ends look so odd.
Old 12-16-2002, 02:01 PM
Missing

Mein Auto: 2003 330i SP 6sp
That and the cleanliness of the light area does not match the general mud spray on the rest of the car.
With that black masking stuff, it does look like some sort of test car.

I'm SteveM and I approve this post.
Old 12-16-2002, 02:13 PM
Lap Dog

Mein Auto: '08 Z4 M Coupe, '01 325i
The best indication that it's been P-shopped is the front fender - just look at the middle of it. At any rate, the more they extend the headlights toward the back, the less I like them. The headlights look like they are bruised and bleeding from the side. Horrible...

'01 325i: Orient Blue/black, SP, M stress bar, UUC sways, TMS camber plates, TMS rear sub reinf kit, CAI, Shark, Borla, Dunlop Direzza 245/40/17 on 17x8 O.Z. Superleggeras

HPDE instructor, Boston Chapter Autocross Co-chair, Boston Bimmer columnist www.boston-bmwcca.org/bimmer/online.aspx

My performance driving site: www.OneHotLap.com
Old 12-16-2002, 02:19 PM
I like cookies.

Mein Auto: 328Ci
Those headlights are grafted on.

The body just looks like the normal E39/E65 shape. It has rubber moldings though!
Old 12-16-2002, 02:27 PM

Mein Auto: 330/540/318is/MB190SL
Pay attention. Clearly PSd. How'd those headlights get so crystal clear when the car has a mask on and is filthy dirty besides?
Old 12-16-2002, 03:00 PM
Here since day one

Mein Auto: 550ix, GL450, 991S, R8
Quote:
Originally posted by johnlew
Pay attention. Clearly PSd. How'd those headlights get so crystal clear when the car has a mask on and is filthy dirty besides?
Good point John and welcome back . . .
Old 12-16-2002, 03:03 PM
TD

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally posted by johnlew
It's obvious that Brendy Priddy or whomever PSed the headlights on based on the shapes visible throught the tape (or whatever it is) covering the nose of the car.

PSed or not, it looks like a good indicator of what the actual 5er will look like. That's all I ever suggested.

The spy shot shops all tend to edit their pics to make them clearer in terms of what they show. Sometimes the guess right. Often they are wrong.
Old 12-16-2002, 03:26 PM
A sudden sense of liberty

Mein Auto: 535xiT, Golf R, 987S
I kind of like this one, aside from the Pontiac-ness of the nose. It has an integrity of line that the E65 is missing. It's radically different from the E39, but this looks much more like the jump from E30 to E36 than the jump from E38 to E65.
Old 12-16-2002, 04:55 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 330i
Here ya go!

Old 12-16-2002, 04:56 PM

http://www.bmwm5.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=25722

Let try this!
Old 12-16-2002, 05:03 PM
Lap Dog

I guess trolls still haven't heard of the internet

'01 325i: Orient Blue/black, SP, M stress bar, UUC sways, TMS camber plates, TMS rear sub reinf kit, CAI, Shark, Borla, Dunlop Direzza 245/40/17 on 17x8 O.Z. Superleggeras

HPDE instructor, Boston Chapter Autocross Co-chair, Boston Bimmer columnist www.boston-bmwcca.org/bimmer/online.aspx

Old 12-16-2002, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by brave1heart
I guess trolls still haven't heard of the internet
No I haven't. Care to teach me.

Hey! I can have a signature that long too, check it out;

'02 330i SP manual
roof (Yes my friends, mine has a roof), xenons, heated seats, CD/H-K, OBC (yes indeed), Silver/Leather
steering retrofit (Not really, but sounds like a cool wannabe mod), hardwired V1 with concealed display, a useless R/D front strut brace and a useless ECIS CAI
Old 12-16-2002, 05:30 PM
Lap Dog

Quote:
Originally posted by king of trolls
No I haven't. Care to teach me.

Hey! I can have a signature that long too, check it out;

'02 330i SP manual
roof (Yes my friends, mine has a roof), xenons, heated seats, CD/H-K, OBC (yes indeed), Silver/Leather
steering retrofit (Not really, but sounds like a cool wannabe mod), hardwired V1 with concealed display, a useless R/D front strut brace and a useless ECIS CAI
OK, I'll admit it - I got the steering retro mostly for the looks - the retro styling looks awesome, though!

Old 12-17-2002, 08:55 AM
Ex-Dictator

Mein Auto: Saab
Can you say 'trunk lid' ?

Old 12-17-2002, 09:05 AM

Mein Auto: .
Quote:
Originally posted by Alex Baumann
Can you say 'trunk lid' ?

To clasp the hands in prayer is the beginning of an uprising against the disorder of the world.
Old 12-17-2002, 09:40 AM
A sudden sense of liberty

Mein Auto: 535xiT, Golf R, 987S
Quote:
Originally posted by atyclb

MUCH, MUCH better integrated than the E65. This just illustrates that all of Bangle's crap about needing to do the trunk lid like that for the 7er was just a load. Look at how the character line on the rear quarter sweeps into the tailights, which wrap around into the trunk lid. That line then continues across the top of the license plate void. Look at how the how the top of the trunk fades into the rear quarter, dead in line with the side window line. This car has a high trunk, but no bustle butt.

The more I see of this car, the more I like it. On the right wheels (M parallels?) it will look very aggressive and yet unified and clean.
Old 12-17-2002, 09:47 AM
King of Rear Clunks

Mein Auto: 01 325iT, 88 M6
Why do all these newer sedans seem to have short (length) but extra deep (height) trunks? You could get the same amoung of trunk volume the old-fashioned way with a longer, shallower one (with some sacrifice in reachability perhaps). Then you won't have the J-Lo look that all these cars (look at the new Accord) sport.

Jaguar seems to be about the only ones who are willing to sacrifice a little trunk space for real style.
Old 12-17-2002, 09:52 AM

Mein Auto: .
Quote:
Originally posted by JST
MUCH, MUCH better integrated than the E65. This just illustrates that all of Bangle's crap about needing to do the trunk lid like that for the 7er was just a load. Look at how the character line on the rear quarter sweeps into the tailights, which wrap around into the trunk lid. That line then continues across the top of the license plate void. Look at how the how the top of the trunk fades into the rear quarter, dead in line with the side window line. This car has a high trunk, but no bustle butt.

The more I see of this car, the more I like it. On the right wheels (M parallels?) it will look very aggressive and yet unified and clean.
just note that there is still a lot of tape back there lining the side of the rear from the trunk lid to the lower bumper

To clasp the hands in prayer is the beginning of an uprising against the disorder of the world.
Old 12-17-2002, 10:17 AM
Car Junkie

Mein Auto: '88 M3, Ex-'99 M3
Quote:
Originally posted by JST

Finally someone who agrees on this car. The E65 and Z4 are polarizing, but this car has universal appeal IMO. It will look great if the spy shots are at all accurate.

'88 M3
Conforti chip, Evo airbox/K&N filter, UUC short shift kit, oil pan baffle, Hella H4 lights, OEM glass sunroof
sold: '99 M3 Coupe
Cosmos Black
Airbox baffle removed, ZKW ellipsoid headlights, UUC short shift kit, BMW x-brace, debadged

'96 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo V8
(Support Vehicle)
Old 12-17-2002, 10:33 AM
Ölmeßstabmeister

Mein Auto: '03 530i
Quote:
Originally posted by JST
JST -- I agree completely... In fact that was the exact point I was trying to make in Alex's post of the new S-class spy pic the other day...
Old 12-17-2002, 11:04 AM
Banned

Mein Auto:
That looks like a cross between a Nissan Primera and a SAAB 9-5.

Gulp.

Patrick

Quote:
Originally posted by atyclb