Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > European Delivery

European Delivery
The place to share your experiences and tips related to "ED"... View the ED Wiki -- View the Pick-Up Date Calendar -- Add Your Pick-Up Date to the Calendar

Old 01-13-2015, 09:47 PM

Mein Auto: G35 Coupe
ED Process Timeline

May be this information is on here somewhere but I didn't find it on the wiki.

I am doing European delivery for June and was wondering what the timeline would be for various things.

When do I get a confirmed pickup date?

When do I get a production number? VIN?

Till when can I make changes to the build?

When do I reserve pickup time?

When do I reserve factory tour?

When and what paperwork needs to be signed?

When do I need to have financing arranged?

When should I get a drop off appointment?

When do I find out about performance center redelivery? Do I get to choose dates?

How much time is typical from drop off in Zurich to delivery at the Performance Center?

Thanks
Advertisement
Old 01-13-2015, 10:48 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 335i Msport sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotM2 View Post
May be this information is on here somewhere but I didn't find it on the wiki.

Thanks
When do I get a production number?
If your dealer has an allocation , you can get the production number at that time. If they do not, then they are essentially guaranteeing you one that meets your production timeline. I set up my Mid-May delivery at the end of December.

After you and your CA have discussed a build and confirmed what is in it, they will ask you for your top three delivery dates. They submit the build, some other paperwork, and those dates to the BMW NA ED department. Approval should come back within 3-4 business days, and this far out you should have no problem getting your preferred date.

When do I get a VIN?
When your vehicle moves into status 150 - which is a couple of weeks before build.

Till when can I make changes to the build?
When your vehicle moves into status 150 - which is a couple of weeks before build.

When do I reserve pickup time?
When you submit your dates you can request a certain pick up time. I wanted an early delivery and so that is what I requested and received 0940. That way I can get the car delivery and then be ready to go on the plant tour at 1145.

When do I reserve factory tour?
Approximately 45 days out. They weren't ready to reserve mine yet

When and what paperwork needs to be signed?
I only know what I have done so far - the ED WIKI is a good source. My dealer is out of state, so we have been doing this all remotely. The only paperwork I have physically had to sign was the ED Purchase Order. Once I signed that then it is sent from the dealer to the BMW NA ED department, and they MUST have it 30 days before delivery.

If you are planning to finance through BMWFS (which is easiest for ED), your dealer may want to have an application in hand to submit the order. You have to pay for your car about a week before you leave for Munich, so financing would have to be done by then.

Since this date determines that length of the insurance coverage, it is requested as part of the Purchase Order preparation. You can change it up to 2 weeks before delivery. Once that time is past you cannot change it.

When do I find out about performance center redelivery? Do I get to choose dates?
The port that the car is being imported into is part of the purchase order, so if you want a combined ED/PCD then you should ask for that up front. It can be added later, but entails a changed purchase order, which is more work for your hard working CA.

How much time is typical from drop off in Zurich to delivery at the Performance Center?
BMW is currently estimating 10 weeks

Best Regards, Robert

2015 ED May 2015 ///M3 SO over full SO with CF Trim, Exec & Light Pkg, Adaptive Suspension, Moon roof, Harman Kardon ,6MT
2013 335i ///M Sport - Estoril Blue/Coral Red - Tech Package- Premium Package - HK Stereo - 6MT FOR SALE!!! http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...45#post8816045
BMWCCA # 471893
Old 01-14-2015, 05:09 AM

Mein Auto: 2015 435i Coupe
Quote:

I knew my drop-off date ahead of time so I e-mailed the LoginOut and made an appointment for my exact time/date. They responded the following day from my request.

Make sure you inform your CA that you desire PCD, then when you get to the Welt and drop-off, make sure your car is tagged to be shipped to Brunswick. Your car needs to clear customs and VPC before your CA can receive a proposed date from the Performance Center. They will give you a date, and if it doesn't work for you, request another one.

My car arrived Brunswick on 22 Nov, and it cleared customs/VPC shortly thereafter. I got the e-mail from my CA on 28 Nov stating my car was awaiting transport to the PC with a proposed date of 18 Dec, which worked for me.

I dropped off in Munich, and it took 7 weeks and 1 day for my redelivery at the PC. Back in 2011, it took exactly 7 weeks. I would guess you would have to add an additional week as your car has to be trucked from Zurich.

Thanks
See above in red.
Old 01-14-2015, 07:52 AM

Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vonmayr View Post
When do I get a production number?
If your dealer has an allocation , you can get the production number at that time. If they do not, then they are essentially guaranteeing you one that meets your production timeline. I set up my Mid-May delivery at the end of December.
Do ED orders also come out of dealer allocations?

Quote:
After you and your CA have discussed a build and confirmed what is in it, they will ask you for your top three delivery dates. They submit the build, some other paperwork, and those dates to the BMW NA ED department. Approval should come back within 3-4 business days, and this far out you should have no problem getting your preferred date.
We did all that a week ago. Hoping to get a confirmed date soon as I would like to book flights and hotels.
Old 01-14-2015, 08:01 AM

Mein Auto: 335i Convertible
A couple comments:

On drop off:

Both ED's I've done I was asked for a drop off date when signing the final PO but then again asked at delivery when I wanted to drop off the car. I've also read stories of people dropping off earlier or later than intended -- they just called or emailed the drop off location to confirm. So I don't think it's etched in stone, they just want a ballpark idea.

On PCD + Zurich drop off:

You may want to rethink this. Together it will increase the redelivery time to an unbearable level. (The waiting of redelivery is the toughest part of ED). I'd do one or the other, but not both.

Zurich is close enough to Munich that you might want to consider driving in a loop that starts and ends in Munich. A Munich drop off should get your car back to the States and though VPC in about 4-6 weeks. Add another 2-4 weeks for PDC. If you drop off at Zurich add another week or two.

ED P/U: 5/31/11
On Cargo Ship "Elektra": 6/15/11
Somewhere in NJ: 6/29/11
Redelivery: 7/14/11
Old 01-14-2015, 08:04 AM

Mein Auto: 335i Convertible
Quote:

Do ED orders also come out of dealer allocations?
For most cars no. The only ones I know of that come out of allocation are M cars and brand new models (for a month or so after release).

ED P/U: 5/31/11
On Cargo Ship "Elektra": 6/15/11
Somewhere in NJ: 6/29/11
Redelivery: 7/14/11
Old 01-14-2015, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hound Passer View Post
For most cars no. The only ones I know of that come out of allocation are M cars and brand new models (for a month or so after release).
I am getting an M235i. I think that doesn't come out of dealer allocations now, but I might be wrong.
Old 01-14-2015, 08:40 AM

Mein Auto: 2015 435xi
Bmwna ED dept told me it can be arranged as late as prior to the ship arriving at its first US port of call.

I decided to do PCD AFTER my ED got loaded onto a ship. I had a lease ending and wasn't sure if the timing would work. After seeing how quickly it was loaded on a ship and seeing the approx sailing time I decided the longer redelivery time with waiting for a PCD date would work for me. From the day the ship set sail to my redelivery at PCD it was approx 6 weeks or so.
Old 01-14-2015, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hound Passer View Post
On PCD + Zurich drop off:

You may want to rethink this. Together it will increase the redelivery time to an unbearable level. (The waiting of redelivery is the toughest part of ED). I'd do one or the other, but not both.

Zurich is close enough to Munich that you might want to consider driving in a loop that starts and ends in Munich. A Munich drop off should get your car back to the States and though VPC in about 4-6 weeks. Add another 2-4 weeks for PDC. If you drop off at Zurich add another week or two.
Thanks.

I am wondering about that. I am in no hurry, but a long wait could test my patience. According to the spreadsheet, there is no difference in redelivery time from Zurich vs Munich, though there's not much data for Zurich drop-offs.
Old 01-14-2015, 11:31 AM
Can has cheezburger

Mein Auto: 550 M-Sport und i3
Quote:
Originally Posted by vonmayr View Post
If you are planning to finance through BMWFS (which is easiest for ED), your dealer may want to have an application in hand to submit the order. You have to pay for your car about a week before you leave for Munich, so financing would have to be done by then.
This is not actually true.

Financing is accomplished between you and the dealership (as in BMW ED is not involved) so "when" you pay for it is up to your relationship with the dealership and your negotiating skills. I've heard of dealers wanting paperwork signed/payment received as much as a month out, which is borderline outrageous.

It is critical to understand that your lease (or whatever) starts the day you sign the paperwork or give them a check, ergo you want to push to close the deal as closely to pickup as possible. In the same vein, the dealership gets paid as soon as the deal closes, ergo they want you to sign as early as possible.

A week before delivery is reasonable but by no means a requirement. My last ED I did it 48 hrs before delivery as I was heading to the airport.
Old 01-14-2015, 08:32 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 335i Msport sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by AggieKnight View Post
This is not actually true.

Financing is accomplished between you and the dealership (as in BMW ED is not involved) so "when" you pay for it is up to your relationship with the dealership and your negotiating skills. I've heard of dealers wanting paperwork signed/payment received as much as a month out, which is borderline outrageous.

It is critical to understand that your lease (or whatever) starts the day you sign the paperwork or give them a check, ergo you want to push to close the deal as closely to pickup as possible. In the same vein, the dealership gets paid as soon as the deal closes, ergo they want you to sign as early as possible.

A week before delivery is reasonable but by no means a requirement. My last ED I did it 48 hrs before delivery as I was heading to the airport.
Thanks - I quoted my timeline because I am buying from out of state, all the paperwork has to do the big round trip.

Best Regards, Robert

2015 ED May 2015 ///M3 SO over full SO with CF Trim, Exec & Light Pkg, Adaptive Suspension, Moon roof, Harman Kardon ,6MT
2013 335i ///M Sport - Estoril Blue/Coral Red - Tech Package- Premium Package - HK Stereo - 6MT FOR SALE!!! http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...45#post8816045
BMWCCA # 471893
Old 01-17-2015, 07:19 AM

Got a call from my CA that I got my first choice for pickup date. Wondering if I should book my flight now or wait till I get an email confirmation.
Old 01-18-2015, 08:32 PM
Can has cheezburger

Mein Auto: 550 M-Sport und i3
Quote:
Got a call from my CA that I got my first choice for pickup date. Wondering if I should book my flight now or wait till I get an email confirmation.
For goodness sake, book your flight.

Never trust the airlines...I travel 100-150k a year. Believe me...don't trust them. Book it.