Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > European Delivery

European Delivery
The place to share your experiences and tips related to "ED"... View the ED Wiki -- View the Pick-Up Date Calendar -- Add Your Pick-Up Date to the Calendar

Old 02-12-2014, 04:27 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Awaiting delivery
July Itinerary

I didn't realize it until today, but apparently I have a delivery time, which means the last bit of my schedule has fallen into place. Here's the itinerary for myself, my wife, and my two kids (7+9). Everything's booked; all hotels are refundable but the VRBO flats are not:

July 15 Arrive Frankfurt 11AM --> train to Munich. Stay at Hotel Eder in Munich.
July 16 delivery at 10:30AM. Arrive early for check in, stay after for factory tour (the museum doesn't really interest me I'm afraid). --> Drive to Bio-Hotel Rupertus, Leogang, Austia.
July 17 early start for Grossglockner (weather permitting) over and down to Venice. If the weather is bad on the Grossglockner I'll either go back through Innsbruck or the eastern route and try to stop at Bled.
July 17-18 Venice flat via VRBO --> Drive to Menaggio, Lake Como (time permitting through Modena).
July 19-20 Menaggio flat via Airbnb --> Drive to Interlaken to stay at Hotel Tell
July 21 Eiger/Kleine Scheidegg --> Drive to Bern to stay at Novotel Bern
July 22 --> Colmar (to see Isenheim Altar) --> Le Haut Koenigsbourg Hotel
July 23 --> Heidelberg --> Frankfurt to drop the car. Stay at Airport Meininger
July 24 early morning flight home

Any restaurant recommendations for Interlaken, Bern, Venice or Menaggio?
Ads by Google
Old 03-05-2014, 02:14 PM

Mein Auto: 1999 M-B ML320
What are you buying? The 3 & 4 are slated to have just started MY15 production in June. Is that what you are getting?
Old 03-05-2014, 03:19 PM
Driving 'en Plein Air'

Mein Auto: 435i vert ED July 2014
I'll be ahead of you by a couple of days on the Grossglockner, Venice and Menaggio. I'll likely post my itinerary in the next couple of days as I need to firm up plans from the Cote d'Azur to Paris. But I know I will be spending more time on lake Como than you will. One full day does not seem like enough time to spend in such a beautiful place

It's great you will have your kids with you. They will remember this trip forever! I'll be taking my 17yr old on a 'Grand Tour' Oh, Mrs. Poc is coming too

Preparing for July 2014 ED campaign: 435i Cabrio M/Sport ~ with Mrs. Poc's blessings for some twisty roads
F33 435i M-Sport | Mineral Grey | Oyster/Black/Estoril | 441M 18" Wheels | Driver's Assistance | Premium | MDHP | M-Sport Brakes | MPPK for added weight | MPE to round it off

RETIRED: 2008 E92 335i Coupé
ED 2008: Click here to view ED report
PCD Re-Delivery: Click here for PCD Report
BMWCCA Nº. 383753
Old 03-05-2014, 06:35 PM

Mein Auto: 11-335i e93;14 Hybrid 3
Venice Restaurants

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjcruiser View Post

Any restaurant recommendations for Interlaken, Bern, Venice or Menaggio?
Venice is my favorite place in the world. Based on 5 visits, here are my suggested restaurants for Venice:

Restaurants:
Fiaschetteria Toscana: www.fiaschetteriatoscana.it
Review: http://www.frommers.com/destinations/venice/D41728.html

Locanda Montin: http://www.locandamontin.com/

Antica Besseta: http://www.anticabesseta.it/

Al Covo: http://www.ristorantealcovo.com/Default.aspx
http://www.frommers.com/destinations/venice/D41726.html

La Furatola : Address: Dorsoduro 2869, Calle Lunga San Barnaba; Phone: 041 520 8594
Review: http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restauran...ce_Veneto.html

Gelato: Gelateria Paolin, San Marco 2962/A, Campo Santo Stefano 041.522-5576 (Closed Monday, always open in summer.) From Frommers Guide: Paolin makes what many locals feel is Venezia's finest gelato. There are only twelve flavors, all creamy and naturally flavored. Outdoor tables in the campo Santo Stefano provide a ringside seat for some of Venezia's best people-watching, all for the price of a gelato. It's open till midnight in the summer.
Old 03-05-2014, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BXL4 View Post
What are you buying? The 3 & 4 are slated to have just started MY15 production in June. Is that what you are getting?

328. My CA says I can't get a 2015 on my current timeline.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 03-05-2014, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luxun54 View Post
Venice is my favorite place in the world. Based on 5 visits, here are my suggested restaurants for Venice:

Thanks!!

Old 03-06-2014, 06:03 AM
Can has cheezburger

Mein Auto: 550 M-Sport
Quote:
July 15 Arrive Frankfurt 11AM --> train to Munich. Stay at Hotel Eder in Munich.
July 16 delivery at 10:30AM. Arrive early for check in, stay after for factory tour (the museum doesn't really interest me I'm afraid). --> Drive to Bio-Hotel Rupertus, Leogang, Austia.
July 17 early start for Grossglockner (weather permitting) over and down to Venice. If the weather is bad on the Grossglockner I'll either go back through Innsbruck or the eastern route and try to stop at Bled.
July 17-18 Venice flat via VRBO --> Drive to Menaggio, Lake Como (time permitting through Modena).
July 19-20 Menaggio flat via Airbnb --> Drive to Interlaken to stay at Hotel Tell
July 21 Eiger/Kleine Scheidegg --> Drive to Bern to stay at Novotel Bern
July 23 --> Heidelberg --> Frankfurt to drop the car. Stay at Airport Meininger
July 24 early morning flight home
Looks like a fun trip.

Just a comment for this leg, as we made the exact one during our first ED - Google says it takes 4 hrs, plan for 6-7. Unless they've updated the roads around Como, expect the last 15 miles taking an hour. It's a 1.5 lane road. Milan is also very apt for significant traffic jams (been there 3 times).

However, Como is amazing. We're going back on ED#3. I'm jealous.

OK, one more suggestion - since you are taking two people and two kiddos in your 3'er, I'd encourage you to validate that all your stuff fits in the trunk of stateside.
Old 03-06-2014, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AggieKnight View Post
Looks like a fun trip.

Just a comment for this leg, as we made the exact one during our first ED - Google says it takes 4 hrs, plan for 6-7. Unless they've updated the roads around Como, expect the last 15 miles taking an hour. It's a 1.5 lane road. Milan is also very apt for significant traffic jams (been there 3 times).

However, Como is amazing. We're going back on ED#3. I'm jealous.

OK, one more suggestion - since you are taking two people and two kiddos in your 3'er, I'd encourage you to validate that all your stuff fits in the trunk of stateside.
Thanks!

Any Como recommendations? Especially for the western edge of the lake?
Old 03-06-2014, 11:13 AM
Can has cheezburger

Quote:
Thanks!

Yeah, we stayed in Bellagio. Gorgeous town. Great for just an afternoon wandering around the town. We ate at two really good restaurants there. When I get home from work, I'll pull up the pics and see if I can find the names.
Old 03-06-2014, 11:29 AM

Mein Auto: '00 E46 Sedan & '14 GC
Quote:
Thanks!

On the west side of the lake check out:
Villa Balbianello. It has a beautiful setting, spectacular grounds/landscaping and the villa itself is quite interesting.
Villa d'Este: Another spectacular setting and landscaping, but this is a hotel and in order to see the hotel and grounds you will probably have to stay or eat there.

Not on the west side, but definitely worth visiting, are Bellagio and Varenna. If you have time for only one, see Bellagio. If you have more time, be sure to take the ferry around the lake.
Old 03-06-2014, 02:01 PM

Bellagio is definitely on the list and we plan to spend our two days on the Lake on the ferry visiting the various towns. I'm hoping to find some tasty local fare that's not too dependent on tourists with Rick Steves guides.

Everywhere we are going we could have spent a week, but there will other trips. This is the trip for zooming around in our new car.
Old 03-06-2014, 03:29 PM
Driving 'en Plein Air'

Mein Auto: 435i vert ED July 2014
On Lake Como: From Menaggio you will have quick ferry access to Bellaggio and Varenna. Perhaps one day can be spent visiting both those towns, planning perhaps to have dinner in one and lunch in the other. You'll be close to your apartment too, should you need a break with the kids.

On your next day you can drive south to Villa Balbianello and Villa Carlotta. For lunch you could try Trattoria del Fagiano, a place I am planning to visit with local friends on my own ED in July. And then perhaps have a drink or tea at the Villa d'Este, spending a little time visiting the grounds. That evening, Cernobbio would be a great spot to spend some time ending up for a light dinner at Harry's Bar or even at the Trattoria del Vapore. If you ask for outdoor seating your children can run around in either place with no or light vehicular traffic.

Preparing for July 2014 ED campaign: 435i Cabrio M/Sport ~ with Mrs. Poc's blessings for some twisty roads
F33 435i M-Sport | Mineral Grey | Oyster/Black/Estoril | 441M 18" Wheels | Driver's Assistance | Premium | MDHP | M-Sport Brakes | MPPK for added weight | MPE to round it off

RETIRED: 2008 E92 335i Coupé
ED 2008: Click here to view ED report
PCD Re-Delivery: Click here for PCD Report
BMWCCA Nº. 383753

Last edited by SJAPoc; 03-06-2014 at 03:32 PM.
Old 03-07-2014, 04:45 AM

Mein Auto: 2004 Z4
They seem to be flexible with the delivery times especially if you ask early. Once you take delivery you have to drive your car out. You can park it to retrieve it later. Not sure if you will have your luggage or not but I never feel good with having luggage in a parked car.

When we did our first ED they moved our delivery to 2:00. It was perfect, we did the tour at 11:30, had 20 minutes to enjoy a snack at the lounge and then got the car and away we went. That would get you leaving welt a little later but for us it worked out well

Old 03-07-2014, 05:44 AM
Can has cheezburger

In the below pic is the front entrance of the first of the two restaurants I was referencing and it was awesome:

Their website is found here.

No pics of food, but they had about the best table wine I've ever drank in my life. And it was chhhheeeeaaaappp

If I believe the owner, his brother owns the vineyard in Piedmont and makes this vintage just for him.

I couldn't find anything that references the name of the second restaurant...but it was a bar built in the basement of a house up on the hill and there was a warren of rabbits that lived in the garden behind it. I'm sure with that info, only Sherlock Holmes could find it...

Also, since we're talking Como, my favorite pic ever from an ED...

Yes, that's me laying in bed and the view out of my window. We spent an entire afternoon relaxing in bed, drinking wine and staring at the majesty that is Lake Como behind Bellagio.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	60.jpg
Views:	370
Size:	232.7 KB
ID:	426738   Click image for larger version

Name:	61.jpg
Views:	369
Size:	159.8 KB
ID:	426739   Click image for larger version

Name:	64.jpg
Views:	382
Size:	110.9 KB
ID:	426740  

Last edited by AggieKnight; 03-07-2014 at 05:45 AM.
Old 03-07-2014, 06:21 AM
Aviator

Mein Auto: BMWs
Yep, Rosie's Barchetta is a nice place for lunch or dinner

'11 Z4 - mojave over beige • 6 speed manual • Münich delivery

...and a bunch of old English motorcycles
Old 03-07-2014, 10:29 AM

Excellent advice and suggestions, guys, thanks! Both are bookmarked.

Quote:
I couldn't find anything that references the name of the second restaurant...but it was a bar built in the basement of a house up on the hill and there was a warren of rabbits that lived in the garden behind it. I'm sure with that info, only Sherlock Holmes could find it...
Is this it?

http://www.lafagurida.it/index.html
Old 03-07-2014, 10:49 AM
Can has cheezburger

Quote:
No, but the pics look very tasty.

The place literally was in a basement or cellar. I tried to find a website last night and failed. Sorry.
Old 03-12-2014, 02:41 PM
Can has cheezburger

Yo JJ, you owe me a bier.

Happened to stumble upon the other restaurant in Snelldogg's ED writeup:
http://www.luluandlattes.com/2013/09...-pounds-later/

Place is called Bar Pizzeria Balognett.

If you scroll about halfway down his report, you'll find that he and his wife agreed with our assessment.

Cheers!
Old 03-12-2014, 03:24 PM

Fair enough.

Meet you there in July?

Old 03-13-2014, 08:22 AM

Mein Auto: '00 E46 Sedan & '14 GC
Quote:
If you do stop in Bled, the most convenient place for visiting the island (with the church) is Villa Bled. It was Tito's retreat but is now a hotel. It is very close to the island and below the hotel is a small dock where you can board a row boat for the trip over to the island.

The hotel has some interesting "communist" murals that are worth a quick look. Also there is an indoor/outdoor restaurant overlooking the island where you can have lunch. This might be a substitute for going out to the island if you are hungry but pressed for time.
Old 03-13-2014, 07:53 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 528i and 2011 328i
Venice restaurant

Al Gabbiano...mmmmm
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20130701_140901_197.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	107.5 KB
ID:	427917  
Old 03-23-2014, 04:16 PM

Mein Auto: Mercedes C300
Quote:
Also, since we're talking Como, my favorite pic ever from an ED...

Yes, that's me laying in bed and the view out of my window. We spent an entire afternoon relaxing in bed, drinking wine and staring at the majesty that is Lake Como behind Bellagio.
Is this a hotel or an apartment? Great view!
Old 04-14-2014, 04:08 PM

Quote:

We updated our route slightly because I'm on a bit of a Burgundy wine kick lately and determined we need to go through Geneva anyway. Now instead of two nights in Switzerland, we are doing two nights in France. (Beaune and Thannekirch).

Any recommendations for friendly wineries pouring their best for American tourists with kids in tow? We're not likely to make it north of Beaune so they would probably need to be Cote du Beaune or south; and then pretty much anything in Alsace.
Old 04-17-2014, 08:23 AM

Mein Auto: '12 335is; '11 X5d
Quote:
Aggie,
I probably missed it, but where did you stay in Como?

Also, for folks who have booked with Airbnb, where the owners honest about their available parking? For example in Como, aren't many resident parking spots located down the hillside, away from the residence? I would prefer my "baby" to be within eyesight
2011--E70 X5d
2011--E89 Z435is*
2009--E89 Z435i*
2008--E92 335i [ED 2/23/08]*
2007--MkV GTI*
2006--E90 330i*
2005--E83 X3*
2004--E83 X3*
2003--E46 325Ci*
*retired