Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Buyers Guide - Dealers, resources, pricing, tips and trick > European Delivery

European Delivery
The place to share your experiences and tips related to "ED"... View the ED Wiki -- View the Pick-Up Date Calendar -- Add Your Pick-Up Date to the Calendar

Old 06-09-2016, 05:15 PM

Mein Auto: 428xi
7/30- My First BMW & ED

I finally pulled the trigger and bought my first BMW (428). I decided to go ahead with the European delivery even though it was tough to find a dealer that was willing to negotiate on price.

I am in the process of setting up my trip (outlined below). Seeing how I have never been to Munich or Germany before any advice would be much appreciated. I am spending one to two nights in each of the cities listed below.

7/28- Munich
  • IAD-MUC, Arrive at Noon
7/29- Munich
  • BMW Plant Tour 11:30
7/30-Munich
  • Delivery Day - Check in at 10:20
  • Drive to Neuschwanstein Castle
7/31-8/2- Lake Como/ Lugano
8/2-8/4- Nice, France
8/4-8/6- Geneva, Switzerland
8/6-8/8- Zurich via Furka Pass
8/8-8/9 - Munich
Advertisement
Old 06-09-2016, 05:28 PM

Mein Auto: E92
You probably already know this, but get your tickets for Neuschwanstein and nearby Hohenschwangau now if you haven't yet. They are timed admission, and if you buy at the site, you will wait for several hours. Even with a ticket, it will be crazy, crazy busy with crazy tourists.

There are many cool things to see around Fussen if you have some extra time on your way to Italy: Linderhof palace, Ettal monastery and brewery, Ehrenburg ruins.

On the way to Zurich from Geneva are some terrific towns with lots to see: Bern and Gruyeres especially. I personally liked those towns better than Geneva, and even Zurich, and they are easily worth a full day each. Gruyeres has something for everyone: a pretty castle, a French medieval center, a chocolate factory, a cheese factory, and my favorite: the HR Giger Museum and Bar.
Old 06-10-2016, 04:48 AM

Thanks for the suggestions I'll look into those places for sure.

Does anyone know when I'll need to get American insurance for the car?I'm assuming it's when I pick it up from my local dealer.
Old 06-10-2016, 05:37 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '00 E46 Sedan & '14 6GC
Quote:
Originally Posted by NasHokie View Post
Does anyone know when I'll need to get American insurance for the car?I'm assuming it's when I pick it up from my local dealer.
Yes. Time your US insurance to the pickup at your dealer.
Old 06-10-2016, 05:49 AM

Mein Auto: 2016 X3
After reading many recommendations here and on other sites, I have decided to skip Geneva and Zurich, instead spending my time in the Bernese Oberland. I will stop in Zurich to drop off the car and fly out to avoid the extra drive back to Munich. Flights I have seen so far, but not booked yet, are priced about the same whether return trip is out of Zurich or Munich.
Old 06-10-2016, 06:02 AM

Mein Auto: '00 E46 Sedan & '14 6GC
I was underwhelmed by Zurich. It is a great place to drop-off your car but it did not have the charm that I expect of Swiss towns. I prefer Lucerne which is more or less on your route.

If you have not booked a hotel on Lake Como you might consider Hotel La Perla in Tremezzo. It's part way up the mountain and our room had a great view of the lake. Also has secure parking near the entrance and a garage underground. The road to Tremezzo along the west side of the lake is an easy drive. The same cannot be said of the road from Como (the town) to Bellagio. I recommend taking the car ferry if you plan to stay in Bellagio - which is a very pretty place and your wife will love the range of silks offered. Also, do all your touring of Lake Como by ferry - leave your car parked.
Old 06-10-2016, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelers2103 View Post
After reading many recommendations here and on other sites, I have decided to skip Geneva and Zurich, instead spending my time in the Bernese Oberland. I will stop in Zurich to drop off the car and fly out to avoid the extra drive back to Munich. Flights I have seen so far, but not booked yet, are priced about the same whether return trip is out of Zurich or Munich.
I agree, I think I need to rework the Zurich/Geneva Leg. Since I booked my flight with United points I chose to go with the Munich round trip which was 60K Points plus $99 all in.
Old 06-10-2016, 06:16 AM

Mein Auto: 328i M-sport Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by banditca View Post
You probably already know this, but get your tickets for Neuschwanstein and nearby Hohenschwangau now if you haven't yet. They are timed admission, and if you buy at the site, you will wait for several hours. Even with a ticket, it will be crazy, crazy busy with crazy tourists.

There are many cool things to see around Fussen if you have some extra time on your way to Italy: Linderhof palace, Ettal monastery and brewery, Ehrenburg ruins.

On the way to Zurich from Geneva are some terrific towns with lots to see: Bern and Gruyeres especially. I personally liked those towns better than Geneva, and even Zurich, and they are easily worth a full day each. Gruyeres has something for everyone: a pretty castle, a French medieval center, a chocolate factory, a cheese factory, and my favorite: the HR Giger Museum and Bar.
Or get in line early before they open.
I was there last month and we were in line before they opened. I think we were in line at 8:45 before the 9:00am opening. We were about 7th in line. Got tix for the 9:40 tour. Really easy.
BUT, it is also possible that the wait may be a couple to several hours.
PCD - December 16, 2009

Old 06-10-2016, 08:57 AM

Mein Auto: 12 BMW 535I MS Alpine Wht
Looks like a cool trip. A tad over 1,300 miles. Not sure if i got the Furka Pass in there. I need these maps to visualize the trip!

[IMG][/IMG]
2007 Mini Cooper S - Sold
1997 Porsche 993 Turbo Sold
1997 Porsche 993 Cab - Sold
Old 06-10-2016, 11:32 AM

Mein Auto: G37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trinitony View Post

If you have not booked a hotel on Lake Como you might consider Hotel La Perla in Tremezzo. It's part way up the mountain and our room had a great view of the lake. Also has secure parking near the entrance and a garage underground. The road to Tremezzo along the west side of the lake is an easy drive. The same cannot be said of the road from Como (the town) to Bellagio. I recommend taking the car ferry if you plan to stay in Bellagio - which is a very pretty place and your wife will love the range of silks offered. Also, do all your touring of Lake Como by ferry - leave your car parked.

I agree with taking the road to Tremezzo. Stay in Bellagio, take the car ferry from Grient. The Il Perlo Panorama up from Bellagio is good base, leave the car parked, take the hotel shuttle into town and explore the towns (Bellaggio, Varrena, Menaggio) by ferry. Back to the hotel to enjoy the view away from the madding crowds!
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1465583515.385334.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	566686
Old 06-10-2016, 01:47 PM

Mein Auto: e46 330CI
Quote:
I agree, I think I need to rework the Zurich/Geneva Leg. Since I booked my flight with United points I chose to go with the Munich round trip which was 60K Points plus $99 all in.
i just flew with UA point. it allows open jaw so you can return from Zurich no problem
Old 06-10-2016, 02:09 PM
just a fool

Mein Auto: 2016 SO M3 (July ED)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTDM View Post
i just flew with UA point. it allows open jaw so you can return from Zurich no problem
I also used UA points, dropping off at Hamburg, because dropping off outside Germany will result in a longer shipping time for redelivery.
Old 06-10-2016, 02:48 PM

Yea, I don't think i'll be able to handle any additional waiting, even if it's just a few days haha. Plus that's really the only autobahn stretch of my drive (thanks for the map chuck), not sure if there is a speed limit on that stretch of road or not though.

Luckily no hotels have been booked yet so I still can make changes.
Old 06-10-2016, 03:06 PM

Mein Auto: E92
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruise_bone View Post
Or get in line early before they open.
I was there last month and we were in line before they opened. I think we were in line at 8:45 before the 9:00am opening. We were about 7th in line. Got tix for the 9:40 tour. Really easy.
BUT, it is also possible that the wait may be a couple to several hours.
But that's still an hour or so in line, at best. And Fussen isn't exactly easy to get around when tour buses are there. Also, the OP said he is picking up his car and then driving to Neuschwanstein, which will put him there in mid to late afternoon. I am sure tickets for that day will be sold out by then.
Old 06-10-2016, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Yea, I don't think i'll be able to handle any additional waiting, even if it's just a few days haha. Plus that's really the only autobahn stretch of my drive (thanks for the map chuck), not sure if there is a speed limit on that stretch of road or not though.

Luckily no hotels have been booked yet so I still can make changes.
from personal experience, id say if you take A96 back to munich, good chance you hit open road. I "only" took a 535xi to 125mph, never full throttle.

Last edited by JTDM; 06-10-2016 at 03:26 PM.
Old 06-10-2016, 04:32 PM

Do you guys know where I can buy the tickets to Neuschwanstein online? I went to their website and it was pretty unclear.

Also, I've read that some people had to service their cars while over in Europe. Is that common or can it wait until it's in the US?
Old 06-10-2016, 04:38 PM
just a fool

Mein Auto: 2016 SO M3 (July ED)
Quote:
Do you guys know where I can buy the tickets to Neuschwanstein online? I went to their website and it was pretty unclear.

Also, I've read that some people had to service their cars while over in Europe. Is that common or can it wait until it's in the US?
https://www.hohenschwangau.de/543.html

You can have the 1200 mile service done on the ED trip, and have the cost reimbursed by your US dealer. My planned trip will run about 1,400 miles, but I really don't want the hassle, so I'll just have my dealer take care of it during the redelivery prep.
Old 06-10-2016, 07:06 PM

Mein Auto: 2015 435xi
Quote:

1200 mile service is only for M cars
Old 06-10-2016, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lionnutz View Post
1200 mile service is only for M cars
Ah okay.... Not quite on that level yet, but I'll get there haha
Old 06-12-2016, 08:17 AM

Has anyone pre-purchased vignettes at the website below? Is it worth doing or should i just wait?

https://tolltickets.com/
Old 06-12-2016, 08:36 AM

I just stop by gas station before cross board. I wasn't in Italy but Swiss vignettes cost 40 Franc.
Old 06-12-2016, 08:46 AM

Mein Auto: 12 BMW 535I MS Alpine Wht
Quote:
Looking at their website, it appears you can buy tickets on line two days prior to going there. This is on my list for my upcoming ED.... thanks for posting this.
2007 Mini Cooper S - Sold
1997 Porsche 993 Turbo Sold
1997 Porsche 993 Cab - Sold
Old 06-12-2016, 11:09 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 320i
Quote:
Thanks for the suggestions I'll look into those places for sure.

Your car has insurance while in Europe for 14 days free, after that you have to purchase insurance. US insurance doesn't work in Europe, when you pick up at your local dealer you should have the car insured when you pick it up state side

2013 320i Jet Black, Venetian Beige Dakota Leather, Premium Package, BMS Stage 1, coded goodies.
Old 06-12-2016, 11:11 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 320i
Quote:
[*]Delivery Day - Check in at 10:20[*]Drive to Neuschwanstein Castle[/LIST]
Are you taking the castle tour or just the photo of your car and the castle? Don't need a ticket for the photo part. There has been some mix reviews of the castle tour, after reading them we passed on it, as there was other things we wanted to do instead.

2013 320i Jet Black, Venetian Beige Dakota Leather, Premium Package, BMS Stage 1, coded goodies.
Old 06-12-2016, 02:49 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle11 View Post
US insurance doesn't work in Europe, when you pick up at your local dealer you should have the car insured when you pick it up state side
This is correct. Your car's effective date on your own car insurance policy should be the same as the date you take redelivery in the U.S. Your lease contract (if this is a BMWFS lease) begins the date you sign the lease agreement (the date shown on the contract) and that's the date the first payment is made. The second payment is due 30 days later but it is paid by BMW as part of their package. The next payment you owe would be the third payment. You usually sign the lease contract a few days before you depart for Munich. When you sign it, you have the option to take whatever BMWFS program is on offer at that time in case you like it better than what you were quoted originally.

You have 14 days of free insurance provided through BMW but you can purchase additional insurance, up to a maximum of five months. Remember that the date you pick up the car at the Welt counts as Day 1 and the date you drop it off at the drop-off point counts as Day 14. Day 14 in your case would be Friday, July 12 but you're dropping it off before then, so you're okay. People who take delivery on a Monday are sometimes under the impression that they have until Monday two weeks later to turn it in but they are mistaken. Their Day 14 is on a Sunday and the drop-off places are officially closed but you can sometimes make arrangements in advance to drop off your car at the Munich Airport place and just park it outside, having done the paperwork in advance with them. It would be so much easier if BMW offered 15 days of free insurance like Mercedes.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Buyers Guide - Dealers, resources, pricing, tips and trick > European Delivery
Today's Posts Search