Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > European Delivery

European Delivery
The place to share your experiences and tips related to "ED"... View the ED Wiki -- View the Pick-Up Date Calendar -- Add Your Pick-Up Date to the Calendar

Old 06-15-2015, 03:12 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Hyundai Elantra
Alpenstrasse: Neuschwanstein to Garmisch-Partenkirchen

Finalizing the routes...going the Alpenstrasse from Munich to Salzburg and wondering which route to take after Neuschwanstein:
1) Up: Neuschwanstein -> Schwangu, Steingaden -> Garmish-Partenkirchen: Can visit Steingaden, Echelsbach Bridge, Wieskirche (although we're passing it on a Sunday morning and can't go inside)
2) Down: Neuschwanstein -> Linderhof Palace -> Garmish-Partenkirchen: Well, just to see the Linderhof

(I've attached both routes via Google Maps)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Neu-Lind-GP.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	80.8 KB
ID:	514637   Click image for larger version

Name:	Neu-Wies-GP.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	147.1 KB
ID:	514638  
Advertisement
Old 06-15-2015, 03:47 PM

Mein Auto: 2015 228i Coupe
You can find the official route here:

http://www.deutsche-alpenstrasse.de/...ing-road/info/

Overall the route is pretty well marked by signs like this:

What ever the mapping program calculates for driving time, add at least 30%. We drove the Alpenstrasse in mid May. With slow traffic, agriculture equipment, and road construction, you will get slowed down on parts of the road. You will also want to make many stops for pictures.

Old 06-15-2015, 04:28 PM

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I know about the official website. I've been planning our route based on the website and adding/removing places here and there based on our plans/tastes. The website recommends the Steingaden route but I'm thinking since we won't be able to see the Wieskirche, we take the Linderhof route and see that instead. I'm wondering would we loose any nice beautiful parts of the "official route" by doing this?

Last edited by soheilk; 06-15-2015 at 04:30 PM.
Old 06-15-2015, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sage View Post

What ever the mapping program calculates for driving time, add at least 30%. We drove the Alpenstrasse in mid May. With slow traffic, agriculture equipment, and road construction, you will get slowed down on parts of the road. You will also want to make many stops for pictures.

Thanks also for the tips
Old 06-15-2015, 11:06 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 535i
When I was going back to Stuttgart from Garmish, BMW nav (full Euro maps) put me on B23 past Graineau.

I was going the fast route, but got stuck in traffic and got this cool pic of Ehrenberg Castle.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150413_112609103_HDR.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	151.6 KB
ID:	514711  
Old 06-16-2015, 01:10 AM

Mein Auto: '00 E46 Sedan & '14 6GC
Quote:
Originally Posted by soheilk View Post
Finalizing the routes...going the Alpenstrasse from Munich to Salzburg and wondering which route to take after Neuschwanstein:
1) Up: Neuschwanstein -> Schwangu, Steingaden -> Garmish-Partenkirchen: Can visit Steingaden, Echelsbach Bridge, Wieskirche (although we're passing it on a Sunday morning and can't go inside)
2) Down: Neuschwanstein -> Linderhof Palace -> Garmish-Partenkirchen: Well, just to see the Linderhof

(I've attached both routes via Google Maps)
The beautiful part of Wieskirche is its interior. The exterior is nice but not really worth a detour. So I would take Route 2. The best part about Linderhof is its exterior, IMO, but others have enjoyed the interior.
Old 06-16-2015, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trinitony View Post
The beautiful part of Wieskirche is its interior. The exterior is nice but not really worth a detour. So I would take Route 2. The best part about Linderhof is its exterior, IMO, but others have enjoyed the interior.
Yup, you basically summed up my reasons for leaning towards Route 2. As I said, I'm just worried that we might miss some nice scenes of the official route.
Old 06-16-2015, 09:09 AM

Mein Auto: 2005 Audi A4 Avant 6sp!
I only took the route past Linderhof, but I enjoyed the drive including the twisties east of Ettal. Speaking of Ettal, you can stop to visit the monastery there and pick up their beer from the gift shop (or see the process a few blocks away). If you do visit the brewery, there is a cheese shop across the parking lot that's also worth a quick stop.

ED (on the boat): 2015 M3 6sp (tanzanite, silverstone extended, cf roof/trim, executive, lighting, 19" silver wheels, adaptive M, hk sound)
2005.5 A4 Avant (quattro, 6sp, etc. etc.)

** September 11th, 2001 - Never Forget **
Old 06-16-2015, 09:21 AM

Mein Auto: 2005 Audi A4 Avant 6sp!
One more thing. When we drove the route 2.5 weeks ago, 305 between Ruhpolding and Inzell was closed. Apple maps correctly reflected that. It no longer appears closed but in case it still is, detour north to Seigsdorf and come back down 306.

ED (on the boat): 2015 M3 6sp (tanzanite, silverstone extended, cf roof/trim, executive, lighting, 19" silver wheels, adaptive M, hk sound)
2005.5 A4 Avant (quattro, 6sp, etc. etc.)

** September 11th, 2001 - Never Forget **
Old 06-16-2015, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKA View Post
I only took the route past Linderhof, but I enjoyed the drive including the twisties east of Ettal. Speaking of Ettal, you can stop to visit the monastery there and pick up their beer from the gift shop (or see the process a few blocks away). If you do visit the brewery, there is a cheese shop across the parking lot that's also worth a quick stop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RKA View Post
One more thing. When we drove the route 2.5 weeks ago, 305 between Ruhpolding and Inzell was closed. Apple maps correctly reflected that. It no longer appears closed but in case it still is, detour north to Seigsdorf and come back down 306.
Thanks for the suggestions and the tip regarding the Apple Maps. I've actually found Apple Maps to be quite useful on my business trips out of US.