Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Buyers Guide - Dealers, resources, pricing, tips and trick > European Delivery

European Delivery
The place to share your experiences and tips related to "ED"... View the ED Wiki -- View the Pick-Up Date Calendar -- Add Your Pick-Up Date to the Calendar

Old 12-26-2015, 11:07 AM
SECDEF

Mein Auto: 2013 Melbourne Red 328xi
London & Paris

I have never been to London or Paris, and due to advise on here I have not tried to incorporate them into my last two ED's. I would like to make a trip in 2016 to London and Paris in a year I'm not doing an ED. This would be my first time in either city, as well as my first time in Europe without having the luxury (or disadvantage in some cases) of having my car with me.

My last two ED's have gone perfectly based solely on information from this forum. I would like to solicit some input on a London-Paris trip from all of you to make this equally as successful. Things such as how many days to stay in each city? The best way to get from London to Paris without having my car there? What do see and do in each city? Any nearby "must sees" that are not in the cities, but may require a day trip? I will have about 14 days, as this will be my vacation to get my fill of Europe before my next ED in the fall of 2018.
Advertisement
Old 12-26-2015, 12:21 PM
Aviator

Mein Auto: BMWs & Ram trucks
Having maintained an office outside of London for 20+ years, I may not be the best one to advise on initial trip to London or Paris. You don't say which is your first destination, but as far as transport between the two cities I suggest the EuroStar train from St Pancras in London to Gare du Nord in Paris. You should be able to book online for $60-70 each way.

In London:

Tower of London
National Gallery
Tate Modern
Covent Garden
West End play
Walk the Mall from Trafalgar Square to Buckingham Palace ON A SUNDAY
Harrods Food Halls

In Paris

Musee D'Orsay
Eiffel Tower with dinner at Jules Verne
Notre Dame
A Seine River cruise
Maybe the Louvre
Les Deux Magot
Suggest you find a hotel in St Germain-des-Pres

Day trips

Windsor Castle
Anywhere in the Cotswolds
Versaille
Canterbury
Stonehenge
Chateau de Fontainebleau
Leeds Castle
Hever Castle
Royal Air Force (RAF) Museum - Cosford
Dover Castle - White Cliffs War museum
Track Day at Brands Hatch - let me know if you want to do this and I'll hook you up :-)

Happy to answer questions, especially about UK

...and a bunch of old English motorcycles

Last edited by dkreidel; 12-26-2015 at 12:36 PM.
Old 12-26-2015, 01:13 PM

Mein Auto: '13 320i, occ. use of X3
Things to do should be influenced by your interests. For example, if your interests include aviation, there is plenty to see, such as the Musee de l'Air et de L'Espace (LeBourget Airport, Paris), Imperial War Museum- Duxford, Brooklands, London City Airport, etc. If your interests include land warfare, there's an army museum in both cities.

Hotels outside of Paris are so much cheaper than inside Paris but the trade off is convenience. Once I had a car in Paris so I stayed outside of Paris, seeing things outside the city.

If you're interested in Canadian history, the memorial at Vimy Ridge is not to be missed, I'm told. I've never been there. There's also a South African War Memorial in a small town in northern France that was covered in the news once.
Old 12-26-2015, 01:14 PM

Mein Auto: '13 320i, occ. use of X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkreidel View Post
In London:

National Gallery - worth it and free!

In Paris

Musee D'Orsay - I liked it

Day trips

Leeds Castle - nice castle, drove past by mistake so I stopped to visit.
Comments added
Old 12-26-2015, 02:02 PM
SECDEF

I should clarify then a few things. I really do not have a preference for which city I fly into first, although We have plenty of non-stop flights from Vegas to London and none to Paris. That being said, on the journey East since I will practically lose a day, I'd rather get there quicker by flying non-stop. As far as what I want out of my trip, you can look at my last two ED's in my signature and get a good idea. I want to take in all the touristy sites, but I really want to enjoy things such as eating at good restaurants, shopping and nightlife. I really like exploring the ins and outs of the city, rather than standing in museums all day. Maybe one or two of the "must see" museums in each city at the most.

The other thing I want to know is if the public transportation in London and Paris is as good and clean as in Munich?

Last edited by pawarrant; 12-26-2015 at 02:14 PM.
Old 12-26-2015, 02:47 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 335i
A couple of suggestions. Get Eiffel Tower tickets online in advance to avoid having to wait in long ticket lines, here:

http://www.toureiffel.paris/en.html

I forget how many months in advance the tickets go on sale, but they can sell out quickly, so I'd recommend getting them as soon as your dates go on sale. If your dates are already sold out, more tickets may become available in the last few weeks, keep checking the website daily (this is what happened with us). With the online tickets, we were able to enter at the scheduled time with no delays.

I'd also recommend doing the Seine cruise at night. The boats have bright spotlights that light up the buildings as you pass them, and the Eiffel Tower was also lit up.

The subway systems in London and Paris are comparable to Munich's in that they're extensive and will probably get you near most or all of the places you'll want to go. The systems are larger since Paris and London are larger but (in my limited experience) a lot more crowded so less pleasant to ride. London's underground is very old and so are its cars. We were there in warm weather and the un-air-conditioned cars were pretty uncomfortably warm. (I think most of the lines lack A/C).

Old 12-26-2015, 04:25 PM
Aviator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sactoken View Post
A couple of suggestions. Get Eiffel Tower tickets online in advance to avoid having to wait in long ticket lines, here:

http://www.toureiffel.paris/en.html

I forget how many months in advance the tickets go on sale, but they can sell out quickly, so I'd recommend getting them as soon as your dates go on sale. If your dates are already sold out, more tickets may become available in the last few weeks, keep checking the website daily (this is what happened with us). With the online tickets, we were able to enter at the scheduled time with no delays.

Agreed - but no reservations required if you dine at Jules Verne Expensive, but worth it.

I'd also recommend doing the Seine cruise at night. The boats have bright spotlights that light up the buildings as you pass them, and the Eiffel Tower was also lit up.

Agree, night is best

You really should drop $200-$400 to have dinner on the Eiffel Tower at Jules Verne once in your life; a Michelin Star restaurant.

http://www.lejulesverne-paris.com/en

Last edited by dkreidel; 12-26-2015 at 04:41 PM.
Old 12-26-2015, 04:31 PM
Aviator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawarrant View Post
I should clarify then a few things. I really do not have a preference for which city I fly into first, although We have plenty of non-stop flights from Vegas to London and none to Paris. That being said, on the journey East since I will practically lose a day, I'd rather get there quicker by flying non-stop. As far as what I want out of my trip, you can look at my last two ED's in my signature and get a good idea. I want to take in all the touristy sites, but I really want to enjoy things such as eating at good restaurants, shopping and nightlife. I really like exploring the ins and outs of the city, rather than standing in museums all day. Maybe one or two of the "must see" museums in each city at the most.

The other thing I want to know is if the public transportation in London and Paris is as good and clean as in Munich?
The Musee D'Orsay is one of the nicest in the world; I tell friends to forget the Louvre and Center Pompidou unless you have a really good reason to go there. There are lots of really nice cafe's and bistros near Montmarte and Sacre Coeur. Forget the French beer!

The Paris Metro is - well - French but is easy to use and cheap; the London Underground is not as sanitary as the U-bahn but is serviceable. Color blind people like me have some difficulty with the Underground routes; the Metro is easy.

Last edited by dkreidel; 12-26-2015 at 04:35 PM.
Old 12-26-2015, 05:23 PM
-- Robert S. Johnson 56FG

Mein Auto: 2008 535i
The three top cities in the world, are IMO, London, Paris, and New York. Get your best rates into one, your best rates out of the other, get hotels in the middle of things, near mass trans, and then go. These are World Class Cities, and each has anything, anything you want. Food. Entertainment. Culture. Everything. (The high speed rail from London to Paris, or the reverse, is actually pretty cool.)

Tell us what you like, decide what you like, it is there.

Bring, or, better when you get there, cash.

As we say in NY, money talks, bullsh!t walks. Cash is king.

535i, Monaco, Cream, Light Poplar, Comfort Seats, PP, Nav, ED.

Last edited by Kamdog; 12-26-2015 at 05:28 PM.
Old 12-26-2015, 09:37 PM

Mein Auto: '00 E46 Sedan & '14 6GC
Lots of good suggestions listed above. A handful of locations that I would add:
The British Museum - home of the Rosetta Stone and the Elgin Marbles.
Note all major London museums are free.

St. James Park - Prettiest of the London parks. Near:
Buckingham Palace and the "Changing of the Guard".
Houses Of Parliament - on the river.

Places outside London which can be enjoyed on a day trip:
Cambridge - punt along the "backs" of the colleges on the Rriver Cam. See Queens' and King's Colleges.
RAF Duxford near Cambridge - Spitfires and Hurricanes fly most days and some offer flights to the public.

Blechley Park near London - site of the breaking of the Enigma Code.
Hampton Court Palace - "donated" by Cardinal Woolsey to Henry VIII.
Old 12-27-2015, 01:23 AM
SECDEF

Great suggestions as usual! What are the best neighborhoods to stay in each city? I want to be near public transportation and preferably walking distance of the main tourist, shopping, nightlife areas if possible. Any hotel recommendations?
Old 12-27-2015, 05:08 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 320i
Quote:
Great suggestions as usual! What are the best neighborhoods to stay in each city? I want to be near public transportation and preferably walking distance of the main tourist, shopping, nightlife areas if possible. Any hotel recommendations?
On our ED we were in Paris and London.

We dropped the car off in Paris, never drove, but took the blue line from the airport to Gare du Nord then took the Eurostar to london, the current trains are horrible, they are dirty and no one helps you with luggage, but is the fastest way to get between both cities.

The Metro in Paris, just as good as the U-Bahn in Munich. London streets are crowded, so take The Tube, very clean, and really the best way to get around the city.

The problem with each city is, there is SOOOOOO much to see, and you will be told by people what to go see, when we go to a new city, each day we pick two place to see that day, this allows us to take our time and really soak in the new adventure.

We didn't think the people in paris were all that friendly, but we want to go back.

Fly into London round trip, take the Eurostar (they are getting new trains) round trip

Old 12-27-2015, 05:09 AM
Aviator

Quote:
London ->>>
St. Martin's Lane in Covent Garden is one of my favorites.
Dorset Square Hotel - I stay here often when working in the City. Quieter area than St Martins
Charlotte Street Hotel - good location, small hotel.

I've done 2 ED's into London, and stayed at Dorset Square since it was relatively easy to park the M5's nearby on the street.

in Paris - anywhere in St Germain Des 'Pres. Someone will have recommendations besides Georges Sanc which is very very nice.

Old 12-27-2015, 08:25 AM

Paris: we stay at the Hotel Britannique. It is not too expensive and is very conveniently located because it is more or less midway between the Louvre and Notre Dame. Being close to the river it is a short walk to the river boats - our favorite way to travel in Paris. You can use the boat to take you to the Eiffel Tower and anywhere in between. Across the river from the hotel is the RER (surface train) which you can use to get to Versailles. We spend a lot of time in museums. You can buy a day or multi day museum pass in the Metro and save yourself hours in waiting in the ticket lines of the Louvre and Versailles.

London: This year we stayed in an Airbnb flat in Mayfair. We liked the flat enough that we will probably stay there again this year. It was a block or two from Green Park tube station - good access (by tube) to Fortnum and Mason, Piccadilly Circus, Leicester Square, Covent Garden, Houses of Parliament, museums, shopping and the West End theater district and St Pancras and King's Cross stations for the Eurostar and Harry Potter fans. Close to Green Park (the park itself) if you want a pleasant walk in the "country" - free of cars and buses.

Last edited by Trinitony; 12-27-2015 at 08:27 AM.
Old 12-27-2015, 09:40 AM

Mein Auto: 15 porsche macan 13 328ix
We went to London and Paris last year in late May and early June.

I would start in the city that has a direct non stop flight from your airport. Detroit has non stops to several European cities including London and Paris.

We started in London and stayed at the Nadler in Soho. Great location and a new modern hotel with a small kitchenette. The museums, the Tate, the National Museum, and the British Museum are all free and are just the right size. All of the numerous theaters are in Soho. If you are into music and jazz, Ronnie Scott's in Soho may be the greatest club in the world.

Take the river cruise which is great. Hyde Park is great and is Harrah's Dept Store.

Take the Eurostar (the chunnel) to Paris. Book it in advance and the rates increase the closer you are to your departure date. It is an easy 2 hour or so ride.

We stayed in the St. Germaine area at the Hotel Verneuil which was 2 blocks from the Louvre and Museum de Orsay. The Louvre is exhausting and crowded. If you go buy tickets in advance or you will wait in line for an hour just to buy tickets. Hotel Verneuil is a very comfortable and quaint hotel. I would recommend booking their largest room. Great free breakfast and a very relaxing living room in the hotel.

We bought tickets early for the French Open Tennis in early June. Maybe our favorite thing in Paris.

Take the river cruise at night. On Friday evenings, everyone in Paris it seems picnics on the banks of the Seine.

Luxembourg Gardens, in St. Germaine, was one of the highlights. Also, check out Print Temps Dept Store and Galleries Lafayette Dept Store which are a block apart. Unbelievable architecture and Printempts has a free rooftop with great views of Paris.
Old 12-27-2015, 11:32 AM

Mein Auto: '16 LR Disco Sp + '13 X5d
London - we loved the London Eye, Tower of London, and Piccadilly Circus areas.

Outside London: Welsh countryside and castles in Wales.

Avoid: Stonehenge - now it's commercialized with awful long lines, pay to get in & park, too far to view compared to when I visited in the 1980s where you can actually touch the stones.....
Old 12-27-2015, 03:42 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 X1 x28i
Agree. Stonehenge can be avoided. Would recommend a day trip to Bath - lived there for 2 years. Small town but has some nice sights and Roman Baths to see plus Jane Austen's home and the Royal Cresent. It is a world heritage site
Old 12-28-2015, 03:35 AM

Mein Auto: 15' 435xi M-Sport ED
I recommend in Paris, making it to L'As du Fallafel for the best falafel I've ever had. It's kind of a scene, but definitely worth it for a quick bite.

I still use rick steves' guides and walking tours. He also has an app with walking tours as well.

I agree with everyone else, you don't need a car in either city.
Old 12-28-2015, 09:43 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 F10 535i
For an overnight trip from Paris, if you're interested in WWII history...

Take a trip to Bayeux via train. It's really cheap if you book in advance. Believe it's about a 2 hour trip between Paris and Bayeux.

As for a D-Day area tour, I suggest the following:

http://www.overlordtour.com/overlordtour-tour-3.html

The tour guide is really great (English) and the size of the group is limited. When I took the tour, it was 7 people total. You also get access to places other tours don't get.

I stayed at the Hotel Reine Mathilde. They have an annex that is modern, well worth the price. Otherwise, the room will be quite small. Plenty to see in Bayeux too.
Old 12-28-2015, 09:51 AM

Also of note: Euro 2016 takes place in France in June and early July--the big European soccer tournament. So rates/spaces may be limited in Paris.

As for London, there's plenty to do. There are plenty of walking tours available for all tastes. Wife and I enjoyed the Harry Potter walking tour. Think there's one for James Bond as well and Jack the Ripper. If you're interested in Harry Potter, Warner Bros Studios in Watford (a short train trip via Euston Station--25 minutes) has an excellent tour.

There are also plenty of museums that are free (some mentioned above). I'll add the Natural History Museum. There's also a transport museum that I haven't gotten to in a few trips that is really good near Covent Garden, but charges an admission. There's also an Imperial War Museum in Lambeth that's interesting.

If you're interested in taking in a football game (provided you go during the season), there are plenty of teams within London to try and get a ticket to see a match (some harder to get than others), but well worth it.
Old 12-29-2015, 01:10 AM
SECDEF

Love all of your suggestions so far. I'd like to hear some of your opinions on when you think is the best time to visit? I think London would be very nice during the Christmas season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle11 View Post
Fly into London round trip, take the Eurostar (they are getting new trains) round trip
Why do you suggest this over flying into LHR and flying back through CDG?

Quote:
Originally Posted by calbears96 View Post
As for a D-Day area tour, I suggest the following:

http://www.overlordtour.com/overlordtour-tour-3.html
That does look very interesting to me. Which tour did you do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by calbears96 View Post
If you're interested in taking in a football game (provided you go during the season), there are plenty of teams within London to try and get a ticket to see a match (some harder to get than others), but well worth it.
When is the season?
Old 12-29-2015, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Love all of your suggestions so far. I'd like to hear some of your opinions on when you think is the best time to visit? I think London would be very nice during the Christmas season.

That does look very interesting to me. Which tour did you do?

When is the season?
1) I've done London/Paris over Christmas season. It's not too cold (40s/50s was my experience). I've also done late summer and that was fantastic as well. Keep in mind if you go during Christmas, some things will be shut down on Christmas day (tube, for one). Also, it's INSANE to go to Harrods on Boxing Day. There was almost no room to walk. Not doing that again.

2) I did the Band of Brothers tour that I linked to. Highly recommended

3) Football season runs mid August through end of May in England. Think it's similar in France. If you go during the Christmas season, there are plenty of matches--each team plays 3 games between Boxing Day and the New Years Day + 2.
Old 12-29-2015, 07:48 AM

Quote:
I'd like to hear some of your opinions on when you think is the best time to visit? I think London would be very nice during the Christmas season.
I do not remember the Christmas Season as being particularly remarkable. I don't think there are any Christmas Markets like there are in Bavaria. It's true that Regent Street, the shops and some other parts of London do a great job of decorating, but that's about all. Also the weather in London in December, though not particularly cold, probably will be cloudy and wet.

I would also avoid June, July and August. Too many tourists cluttering up the main sights. Also, some years there are heat waves (nothing like the temps of AZ) but very few hotels have A/C.

So my choice would be April, May, September or October. Those tourists are back at work and school and the weather should be moderate.
Old 12-29-2015, 09:09 AM
-- Robert S. Johnson 56FG

Mein Auto: 2008 535i
IMO, the best time to travel in the Northern Hemisphere is May-June. You get blossoms and flowers, and more daylight, and mild weather. Be prepared for rain, though.

You do need to decide what it is you like to see and do. To me, the British Museum was very rewarding, what with the Greek and Egyptian stolen artifacts. Taking in a London show was great, too bad we couldn't get tickets to Shakespeare at the Globe. We had no time to get out to Duxford and see the Spits and Hurris, but Buckingham Palace, and the changing of the guard were good, as was the commuter rail trip to Windsor Castle.

And I won't even get into how much I love Paris.

Your big task is deciding what you like and what you can squeeze into one day. We had to do an English pub, and a French Café as well.

535i, Monaco, Cream, Light Poplar, Comfort Seats, PP, Nav, ED.
Old 12-29-2015, 11:04 AM
Aviator

I work in UK all the time, and although I like the winter there you'd have to plan on snow and ice - and occasionally LOTS of it. For a first time visit Kamdog has it right.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Buyers Guide - Dealers, resources, pricing, tips and trick > European Delivery
Today's Posts Search