Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > European Delivery

European Delivery
The place to share your experiences and tips related to "ED"... View the ED Wiki -- View the Pick-Up Date Calendar -- Add Your Pick-Up Date to the Calendar

Old 11-05-2010, 01:29 PM
Awesome power!

Mein Auto: 2007 Alpin Weiss 335ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselsrule View Post
My mistake, I called it a license instead of a permit. It only cost me $15 at AAA and was worth the peace of mind. Besides Austria, here is a quote from the europeforvisitors website:

"The International Driving Permit has been around for decades, but now there's a new wrinkle: For the first time, at least one Western European country (Italy) requires drivers from outside the EU to have the IDP. Foreign drivers may also need the IDP in some Eastern European countries, such as Hungary. And even in countries where it isn't required, the International Driving Permit is worth having just to make sure that your driver's license is accepted by local car-rental agencies and traffic police."

From the travel.state.gov web site the number 1 tip for traveling abroad is "obtain an international driving permit"

So it's up to you if you get it or not, but whining is not allowed after you come back.
I've driven in Europe on over 20 different occasions, and only on the first two did I bother to get and IDP (and I do understand the destinction.) On the second occasion, I was told by the rental agency that they didn't need it and couldn't imagine a situation where I would. Obviously not an official statement, but I have taken that advice ever since. I didn't know about Austria or Italy (the latter case has to be a complete joke, given the way they drive there--I have lots of first-hand stories about that.) Mostly I ride the trains these days, so it doesn't usually apply, but I'll certainly look into the current situation more carefully the next time I drive.

2007 BMW 335ci, Alpin Weiss, saddle brown, SP, PP (tree trim), Step, hot seats. Mod free. As pictured: on SSR GT1s with Goodyear F1s. AKA "White Lightnin'"
2012 Mini Cooper Hardtop S in chili red with white mirrors, top and racing stripes. AKA "Big Red S."
Euro Delivery pics here: http://picasaweb.google.com/berford/GermanyAndSwitzerland2007?authkey=uGnlSSrqMTY
Old 11-19-2010, 07:39 AM
jrjmpls

Mein Auto: Lexus at the moment
Ed

I cannot say that I would recommend using ED. When I picked up my car in Munich it was around 10 AM. We wanted to visit the museum, etc. so the BMW folks offered to park it for me until we were ready to leave. When the time came, they couldn't find the car-said they didn't have a car for anyone with my name! Took them half an hour to find it.
I left the car in Munich on 27 Sep and I'm still waiting. In three days it will be 8 weeks since I dropped it off at Harms. It's been sitting in NY since 20 October and no one at BMW seems to care. I think for the price we pay for these cars, BMW should be expediting delivery-not allowing cars to sit in NY for 5 weeks!
My dealer doesn't do anything but claim to check every day to see it the car has moved. Somebody should be doing something to make it move! I have called ED myself to find out status because both the dealer and BMW Customer Relations don't seem to be able to do anything. It's not obvious to me that there is anybody at BMW that cares about customer satisfaction. This is my first BMW and my opinion of BMW so far couldn't be lower. This car better be great! Because, if it isn't, when I replace it in three years, it won't be with a BMW.
Old 11-19-2010, 07:50 AM
Awesome power!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrjmpls View Post
I cannot say that I would recommend using ED. When I picked up my car in Munich it was around 10 AM. We wanted to visit the museum, etc. so the BMW folks offered to park it for me until we were ready to leave. When the time came, they couldn't find the car-said they didn't have a car for anyone with my name! Took them half an hour to find it.
I left the car in Munich on 27 Sep and I'm still waiting. In three days it will be 8 weeks since I dropped it off at Harms. It's been sitting in NY since 20 October and no one at BMW seems to care. I think for the price we pay for these cars, BMW should be expediting delivery-not allowing cars to sit in NY for 5 weeks!
My dealer doesn't do anything but claim to check every day to see it the car has moved. Somebody should be doing something to make it move! I have called ED myself to find out status because both the dealer and BMW Customer Relations don't seem to be able to do anything. It's not obvious to me that there is anybody at BMW that cares about customer satisfaction. This is my first BMW and my opinion of BMW so far couldn't be lower. This car better be great! Because, if it isn't, when I replace it in three years, it won't be with a BMW.
Too bad about that. The dealer probably can't do much for you, but try calling BMWUSA customer service at:

BMW of North America, LLC
300 Chestnut Ridge Road
Woodcliff Lake, NJ 07677-7731
Customer Relations: 1-800-831-1117

Having done two EDs myself, I know what the wait is like (3 1/2 to 4 weeks in my case.) Yours is extraordinary, however. Good luck with getting the car soon and with the overall ownership experience when it gets to you.

2007 BMW 335ci, Alpin Weiss, saddle brown, SP, PP (tree trim), Step, hot seats. Mod free. As pictured: on SSR GT1s with Goodyear F1s. AKA "White Lightnin'"
2012 Mini Cooper Hardtop S in chili red with white mirrors, top and racing stripes. AKA "Big Red S."
Euro Delivery pics here: http://picasaweb.google.com/berford/GermanyAndSwitzerland2007?authkey=uGnlSSrqMTY
Old 11-19-2010, 08:12 AM
jrjmpls

I've talked to Customer Relations and they just say the same thing the dealer says-"It's still in NY". I just don't understand what BMW is thinking allowing this to happen.
Old 11-19-2010, 08:14 AM
jrjmpls

I've talked to Customer Relations and they say the same thing the dealer says-it's still in NY and we have no idea when it will be shipped. I just can't believe BMW allows this to go on this way. Don't they have any interest at all in customer satisfaction? There just no excuse for this performance on the part of BMW.
Old 11-19-2010, 08:25 AM
Awesome power!

Quote:
I've talked to Customer Relations and they say the same thing the dealer says-it's still in NY and we have no idea when it will be shipped. I just can't believe BMW allows this to go on this way. Don't they have any interest at all in customer satisfaction? There just no excuse for this performance on the part of BMW.
Try again...be strong. Might also help to go up the chain. Your wait is unreasonable. Tell them to put it on the next truck or reimburse what you're out-of-pocket so far (as a good faith matter.) BTW, where are you and who's your dealer?

Old 11-19-2010, 09:04 AM
jrjmpls

I'm in MN but the dealer is in Barrington, IL. I called the trucking company and they say it will be delivered to the dealer on Monday. I'll believe it when I see it. Where would you suggest I call to go up the chain?
Old 11-19-2010, 09:56 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2014 328i Sport Wagon
You're going to want to start calling EH Harms and BMW ED about now...

Find out where in the chain your car is, and work on the people holding it up.
http://www.bimmerfest.com/wiki/index...ng_Re-Delivery

Quote:
I'm in MN but the dealer is in Barrington, IL. I called the trucking company and they say it will be delivered to the dealer on Monday. I'll believe it when I see it. Where would you suggest I call to go up the chain?

E90 2011 BMW 328i xDrive M-Sport Sedan - Space Gray* - European Delivery
E90 2007 BMW 328xi Sedan - Montego Blue* - US Delivery
*gone, but not forgotten

Last edited by mrdirosa; 11-19-2010 at 09:58 AM.
Old 11-19-2010, 10:01 AM
Awesome power!

Quote:
First, see what happens Monday. (Some people have been know to tell the truth.) If not, I'd go to the owner of the dealership and/or aske for a supervisor at BMWUSA.

Old 11-23-2010, 01:19 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW 328xi
ED - Fabulous Experience!

Collected my 328i at The Welt yesterday - what a FABULOUS experience! Heading to the castles in Fussen today - more photos to come....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	035.jpg
Views:	408
Size:	114.0 KB
ID:	255794  
Old 11-24-2010, 11:05 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 335xi E90 JetBlack
Nice car, Congrats! Have a great time driving it. I agree ED is truly a wonderful experience, enjoy. Looking forward to more pics.
Old 11-27-2010, 07:30 AM

Mein Auto: Audi S4
Here is something you could only do in Germany. I picked up my 335d (m package :-P ) from the Welt on Oct 25th. And drove from Munich to Frankfurt the next day. That was the whole ED experience as I needed to travel out of Europe on Tuesday. Bottom line. 2 days of ED experience were great. I will do it agiain and will stay for at least 1 week. It is worth every single penny.
However, for those from LA, like my self, I recommend ED between March and September. It was really cold!!!!!!!!
:

Last edited by Jojo_la; 11-27-2010 at 07:37 AM.
Old 12-02-2010, 02:33 PM

Mein Auto: 07 335i coupe/ 11 135i
Couldn't drive the car due to the heavy snow.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ED 135i 11-29-2010 028.jpg
Views:	597
Size:	43.6 KB
ID:	256927   Click image for larger version

Name:	ED 135i 11-29-2010 342.jpg
Views:	528
Size:	98.0 KB
ID:	256928  
Old 12-02-2010, 06:35 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 335xi E90 JetBlack
Nice car, congrats!! Sorry to hear about the snow. How bad were the roads? I would imagine the Germans probably do a very good job at clearing the snow?
Old 02-09-2011, 05:10 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 335d
335d Euro Delivery write-up

My fiance and I took Euro Delivery of her new 335d back in September and I finally put into words, in a detailed write-up, our experience and adventure. I posted it on a new blog I've started as a hobby. If anyone's interested here's the link:

http://noseprintsontheglass.wordpress.com/

Enjoy!

Matt

[B]2011 335d

Retired: 2007 Z4 3.0i
Old 02-09-2011, 08:39 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 550i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karps View Post
My fiance and I took Euro Delivery of her new 335d back in September and I finally put into words, in a detailed write-up, our experience and adventure. I posted it on a new blog I've started as a hobby. If anyone's interested here's the link:

Enjoy!

Matt
Matt, yours is by far the best written post on ED that I have ever read. Your post was a delight to read from beginning to end, and like my ED experience, I did not want your excellent report to end. Congratulations! Hopefully, you will continue to post comments about your car; keep us informed through this forum if you post elsewhere.

By the way, I believe I am the fellow EDer you spoke with that night at the Marriott.

Thanks again for taking the time and effort to post. You and your fiancé, enjoy your car to the utmost!
ED on Sep. 28, 2010: 550i Dark Graphite Metallic, Oyster/Black Nappa Leather, Anthracite Wood Trim, Convenience Package, Driver Assistance Package, Premium Package 1 (Std.) & 2, Sport Package, Sport Automatic Transmission, Dynamic Handling Package, Active Cruise Control, Head-Up Display, Side and Top View Cameras, 4-Zone Automatic Climate Control.

Retired: 2008 528i Space Gray.

Last edited by Rafa; 02-09-2011 at 08:40 PM.
Old 03-29-2011, 01:08 PM
HerrDoktorProfessor

Mein Auto: '11 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karps View Post

Enjoy!

Matt
There is a small error in your blog. You mention that buyers have been doing ED since 2007. BMW has been doing ED for decades. Only since 2007 has it been at the Welt. Otherwise a great write up of your ED.
Old 04-27-2011, 04:00 PM

Mein Auto: M3 vert
12 hour Rule

12 hour rule. Complied.Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1731.jpg
Views:	620
Size:	100.3 KB
ID:	276445 Having a great time so far!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC_1768.jpg
Views:	471
Size:	119.2 KB
ID:	276446  
Old 04-28-2011, 07:27 AM
Happily Driving

Mein Auto: 2014 550i M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggle View Post
12 hour rule. Complied.Attachment 276445 Having a great time so far!
Dude- great looking car.

Gone, but not forgotten:
2006 530i
, European Delivery June 2005
2008 335i Coupe 6MT, PCD November 2007
2011 550i M Sport, European Delivery May 2011

BMWCCA #350568

Last edited by Me530; 04-28-2011 at 07:29 AM.
Old 04-28-2011, 08:50 AM
Awesome power!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggle View Post
12 hour rule. Complied.Attachment 276445 Having a great time so far!
What was it that Oliver said..."more, please."

Old 05-11-2011, 02:31 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 535i Sports Wagon
Here's my European Delivery story: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=540765.

2010 535i xDrive Sport Wagon (April 2009): Deep Sea Blue / Cream Beige / Sport, Premium, Cold Weather Packages
2011 335i xDrive Coupe (April 2011, European Delivery): Le Mans Blue / Oyster-Black / M Sport, Premium, Convenience Packages
Old 07-12-2011, 05:51 AM
Freude am Fahren

Mein Auto: 2014 550i xDrive M Sport
Here's a link to my rather lengthy trip report. CLICK ME!

Old 07-13-2011, 09:55 AM

Mein Auto: 535xi GT
Will try posting our delivery photo from my iPad but it may require looking at my Flickr account. We had a flawless delivery on Friday, July 8th followed by a trip south to Ardez (highly recommended if you love small, ancient, out of the way villages with modern bathroom fixtures and a good pub) then through four Alpine passes the next day to the Interlaken area. We got caught in a sudden, vicious storm while driving round the Thunersee: hail, broken tree branches, falling rocks and a boulder through the guard rail. No where to hide so we did the best we could under the slight protection of an overhanging roof. Got four small dings on the front hood but it sounded as if we were being slegehammered. Must have included several microbursts as we witnessed toppled pines and old oaks on the drive back to our apartment in Wilderswil. After being so careful during the previous few days on all kinds of challenging terrain it was ironic to suffer that kind of damage in less than five minutes at a dead stop.

Last edited by MarVar; 07-13-2011 at 09:31 PM.
Old 07-13-2011, 02:48 PM

Mein Auto: 128i
No Sales Contract Until VIN Assigned

Hi, I just agreed to purchase my first BMW for ED. The Iowa dealer has provided only a buyer's order, not a firm contract. Is this standard for ED? Thanks.
Old 07-26-2011, 08:23 AM

Mein Auto: BMW M6
I don't think I ever posted my trip here! It is pretty long but here you go: http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e60...e-up-pics.html

by far the best trip I have ever been on in my life. I hope to go back very soon for another delivery..whatever it is!