Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 11-30-2006, 10:01 AM

Mein Auto: '11 X3, '13 X1
XM Antenna - spoiler or sharkfin?

I'm installing XM on a 2007 X3 and it looks like I have two choices (in addition to just sticking the antenna on the roof):

1) I can mount the antenna inside the rear spoiler. Has anyone opened the rear spoiler on an X3 and if so how many screws need to be removed etc?

2) I can use the Sirius antenna built into the sharkfin (I did this on my 325XI), but BMW made a assembly error on the 2007's and it looks like I will need to remove and reinstall the sharkfin to fix this. Has anyone actually removed the sharkfin and how big a deal was it?

Thanks for any advice,
Lou
Advertisement
Old 12-04-2006, 08:18 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2008 X3 3.0si
Quote:
Originally Posted by voerman View Post
I'm installing XM on a 2007 X3 and it looks like I have two choices (in addition to just sticking the antenna on the roof):

1) I can mount the antenna inside the rear spoiler. Has anyone opened the rear spoiler on an X3 and if so how many screws need to be removed etc?

2) I can use the Sirius antenna built into the sharkfin (I did this on my 325XI), but BMW made a assembly error on the 2007's and it looks like I will need to remove and reinstall the sharkfin to fix this. Has anyone actually removed the sharkfin and how big a deal was it?

Thanks for any advice,
Lou

I have XM on my 2004 and use the "Sirius" antenna built in to the sharkfin. I did have to shave a notch off of the connecting interface - but it plugs in and works fine.

Not sure how different the 2007 may be.
Old 12-05-2006, 04:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonoman707 View Post
I have XM on my 2004 and use the "Sirius" antenna built in to the sharkfin. I did have to shave a notch off of the connecting interface - but it plugs in and works fine.

Not sure how different the 2007 may be.
Thanks - I did try connecting my XM receiver to the coax coming from the sharkfin and no go. The XM receiver does not see the antenna. This is most likely because of the factory assembly error which I need to remove the sharkfin to fix. I am still searching for directions on how to do that.

Lou
Old 12-05-2006, 04:34 PM

Send a message via AIM to stangmatt66
Mein Auto: '07 BMW X3 3.0si
Quote:
Thanks - I did try connecting my XM receiver to the coax coming from the sharkfin and no go. The XM receiver does not see the antenna. This is most likely because of the factory assembly error which I need to remove the sharkfin to fix. I am still searching for directions on how to do that.

Lou
Other Bimmer websites have listed the sharkfin problem is known by BMW and a TSB has been issued. I assume you could take your X3 to the dealer to have them perform the TSB.

Edit: Found the post I saw, here: http://bimmer.roadfly.com/bmw/forums/e83/8118527-1.html
2007 X3 3.0si - ED 07/30/07 :: Montego Blue :: Sand/Black Nevada Leather :: Brushed Aluminum :: Steptronic :: Premium :: Heated Steering Wheel :: Heated Front Seats :: Premium Audio :: Navigation :: Xenons :: 18" Wheels

ED Timeline:
07/30 - Picked up in Munich, 08/02 - Dropped off in Munich, 08/16 - Set sail aboard the Boheme, 09/09 - Boheme arrived in Port Hueneme, CA, 09/18 - Redelivery

MSBCreations.com \ tumblr

Last edited by stangmatt66; 12-05-2006 at 04:38 PM.
Old 12-05-2006, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stangmatt66 View Post
Other Bimmer websites have listed the sharkfin problem is known by BMW and a TSB has been issued. I assume you could take your X3 to the dealer to have them perform the TSB.

Edit: Found the post I saw, here: http://bimmer.roadfly.com/bmw/forums/e83/8118527-1.html

Thanks - I saw that post and have a copy of the TSB. It shows how to modify the sharkfin, but not how to remove it to get at the wires. It refers to a repair instruction for the 7 series for information on how to remove and reinstall the sharkfin. I have not been able to locate these instructions.

I don't think my dealer will consider the installation of a non-BMW XM receiver as justification for warranty work. If I was installing the official BMW Sirius receiver then things would be a lot easier.

Lou
Old 12-06-2006, 09:03 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 X3 3.0si
Quote:
I don't think my dealer will consider the installation of a non-BMW XM receiver as justification for warranty work. If I was installing the official BMW Sirius receiver then things would be a lot easier.

Lou
Tell a little white lie - your Sirius unit and install kit is on order from another dealer (Circle BMW for instance)...

Therefore - if they'll perform the TSB on your antenna - you can then install your "Sirius" unit yourself and save some $$$ and everyone can be happy.

Last edited by Sonoman707; 12-06-2006 at 09:36 AM.
Old 12-10-2006, 03:23 PM

Success

I managed to pull down the headliner enough to get at the antenna connectors on the bottom of the sharkfin. Swapping the connectors was fairly easy without removing the sharkfin itself. My XM receiver now works fine with the builtin sharkfin sirius antenna.

Lou
Old 12-16-2006, 07:54 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 Mystic Blue X3
Quote:
I managed to pull down the headliner enough to get at the antenna connectors on the bottom of the sharkfin. Swapping the connectors was fairly easy without removing the sharkfin itself. My XM receiver now works fine with the builtin sharkfin sirius antenna.

Lou
Would you mind posting pics of your setup? What XM receiver did you use? Where and how did you mount the receiver? If you have Nav, does the XM programming display on the Nav screen as well? I'm thinking of switching from Sirius, hence all the questions Thanks.
Old 12-17-2006, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpine rasta View Post
Would you mind posting pics of your setup? What XM receiver did you use? Where and how did you mount the receiver? If you have Nav, does the XM programming display on the Nav screen as well? I'm thinking of switching from Sirius, hence all the questions Thanks.
I can try to get some pics (very busy time of the year for me), meanwhile I will answer some of your questions.

I have nav and to the best of my knowledge there is no interface to display XM on the nav screen. I have a simple Roady 2 located in the top compartment of the arm rest and connected as follows:

antenna - connected to the sharkfin after doing the modification to the sharkfin mentioned above.

audio out - connected to the aux jack provided in the 2007 X3

power - hard wired to a switched power connection from the fuse box.

I need to select aux in to hear XM, the sound is very good. XM channels are displayed on, and controlled by, the Roady 2.

Hope this helps,
Lou
Old 12-17-2006, 09:55 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 Mystic Blue X3
Thanks. This helps a lot! Happy holidays!
Old 12-18-2006, 06:13 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 x3
What's the TSB #? You said in your earlier post "Thanks - I saw that post and have a copy of the TSB. " Please at least provide the TSB number there are many like myself looking for it. Many talk about it, however nobodys posted it. It's a TSB number is all we are looking for.

Thanks in advance.
Bob

Quote:
Thanks - I saw that post and have a copy of the TSB. It shows how to modify the sharkfin, but not how to remove it to get at the wires. It refers to a repair instruction for the 7 series for information on how to remove and reinstall the sharkfin. I have not been able to locate these instructions.

Lou
Old 12-18-2006, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstagt View Post
What's the TSB #? You said in your earlier post "Thanks - I saw that post and have a copy of the TSB. " Please at least provide the TSB number there are many like myself looking for it. Many talk about it, however nobodys posted it. It's a TSB number is all we are looking for.

Thanks in advance.
Bob
Go here - see post number 9:

http://www.x3world.com/x3-e83-forum/...tallation.html

Lou
Old 12-18-2006, 07:30 PM

Mein Auto: X3
Quote:

Lou
Actually, I'm interested in any pics you have that show how you were able to do this. How did you pull down the headliner enough - it sounds like there is quite some potential for damage there?
Old 12-19-2006, 04:15 AM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSY View Post
Actually, I'm interested in any pics you have that show how you were able to do this. How did you pull down the headliner enough - it sounds like there is quite some potential for damage there?
OK I'll try, but the official BMW instructions referenced in the TSB (if you can find them) would be a lot better. Sorry, no pictures - I did not take any when I was doing the work and don't want to go back and redo. Obviously you do this at your own risk.

First, remove the D pillar inside trim pieces after freeing them from the rubber strip at the rear - these just pry off and are held by nylon push in clips. I used a plastic putty knife. See part number 10: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...75&hg=51&fg=55 Oh - there are lights in the trim pieces, just be careful of the wires. The lights are removed fairly easily.

Now you can free the headliner from the rubber strip.

After freeing the headliner, you can unclip it. There is one clip in the center just forward of the hatch. The clip is really tough, but I managed to get it off without damage. A replacement is cheap though. See part number 25: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...74&hg=51&fg=55

Surprisingly the headliner is fairly robust and I did not damage it. Now you can pull the headliner down and see the bottom of the sharkfin. Unfortunately it is behind the sun roof motor and bit hard to get at, but it can be done. You will need to follow the TSB from here on. This might be easier if you remove the C pillar trim, but I did not try that.

Reassemble in reverse order (don't you love it when people say that :-) )

Good luck,
Lou

Last edited by voerman; 12-19-2006 at 04:21 AM.
Old 12-19-2006, 06:54 AM
My Other Car Is A Bus

Mein Auto: 07 530Xi
Quote:
OK I'll try, but the official BMW instructions referenced in the TSB (if you can find them) would be a lot better. Sorry, no pictures - I did not take any when I was doing the work and don't want to go back and redo. Obviously you do this at your own risk.

First, remove the D pillar inside trim pieces after freeing them from the rubber strip at the rear - these just pry off and are held by nylon push in clips. I used a plastic putty knife. See part number 10: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...75&hg=51&fg=55 Oh - there are lights in the trim pieces, just be careful of the wires. The lights are removed fairly easily.

Now you can free the headliner from the rubber strip.

After freeing the headliner, you can unclip it. There is one clip in the center just forward of the hatch. The clip is really tough, but I managed to get it off without damage. A replacement is cheap though. See part number 25: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...74&hg=51&fg=55

Surprisingly the headliner is fairly robust and I did not damage it. Now you can pull the headliner down and see the bottom of the sharkfin. Unfortunately it is behind the sun roof motor and bit hard to get at, but it can be done. You will need to follow the TSB from here on. This might be easier if you remove the C pillar trim, but I did not try that.

Reassemble in reverse order (don't you love it when people say that :-) )

Good luck,
Lou

Holy crap! That seems awfully risky and difficult for the diy-er if you ask me. Does anyone know if the issue with the sharkfin not being completely plugged in will be resolved at the assembly point during the current model year?
Old 12-19-2006, 06:04 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 x3
Thanks Lou. Going to see the dealer tomorrow. I want to install a XM unit and use the sharkfin. Not intereted in the factory SIRUS

Bob
Old 03-25-2013, 04:47 PM

Mein Auto: E90 330i, E83 X3si
I know this is an old thread, ran into this issue while installing my sirius module today. Display is showing "No antenna".. Can someone please post a link to this service bulletin? Or PM me where I can find it? I searched all over and cant seem to locate it.

THanks!
Old 03-28-2013, 10:31 AM

Mein Auto: E90 330i, E83 X3si
Quote:
Originally Posted by x3ronnie View Post
Holy crap! That seems awfully risky and difficult for the diy-er if you ask me. Does anyone know if the issue with the sharkfin not being completely plugged in will be resolved at the assembly point during the current model year?
Not as bad as you think.. I can probably post some pictures on how to do it. I was able to pull the back of the lining down in 1 hour.. That is taking my time and going slowly. Be prepared to replace T clip in the rear of the head liner, very easy to break.

Satellite service bulletin is attached.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Sat_ant.pdf (1.27 MB, 26 views)