Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series

3 Series / 4 Series
The 3 Series / 4 Series Forum. If you would like to see all new posts in all the forums, click here.

Old 01-25-2002, 10:15 AM
Account closed at users request

Mein Auto:
Question Questions installing a Momo shift knob

I just ordered a Momo Cobra Aluminum and leather shift knob. I thought I read somewhere that the 2001 models have a screw that must be removed before pulling straight up to remove the old knob..anyone have info on this? Done it recently?
Ads by Google
Old 01-25-2002, 10:40 AM
King of Rear Clunks

Mein Auto: 01 325iT, 88 M6
There is a screw under the pattern bezel, but its only there to help hold the thingie that keeps the knob from twisting .

Just pull as usual.

How would a MOMO knob, which I believe screws on, stay on the shifter?
Old 01-25-2002, 10:41 AM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally posted by Kaz

How would a MOMO knob, which I believe screws on, stay on the shifter?
I dunno! Seen pics from the past with alternate momo's on BMW's, I'm trying to find out.
Old 01-25-2002, 10:42 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 325i
Momo Knobs

I believe that the MOMO knob has a setscrew at the base which with an allan wrench will secure it against the shift rod. At least that's how it used to work when I put one on my '86 VW Scirocco....
Old 01-25-2002, 10:50 AM

Mein Auto:
Talked to the Rep at Seattle Auto, they said the Momo is not threaded, comes with rubber gaskets, and a set screw, you can set it at different angles too I guess.
Old 01-28-2002, 04:02 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2001 BMW 330ci
also replied on the main board...

Quote:
Originally posted by Ripsnort
I just ordered a Momo Cobra Aluminum and leather shift knob. I thought I read somewhere that the 2001 models have a screw that must be removed before pulling straight up to remove the old knob..anyone have info on this? Done it recently?
Ripsnort, I used to have the Momo Cobra knob too. I have since switched to the alum/leather BMW M-knob.

To install the momo:
the momo knob is split into 2 pieces, a base part and the knob portion. you have to first pull out your old stock knob (pulls straight up). then, push the new momo base part down as far as it will go on the stick. the top knob portion goes on after that and this is the part that actually gets tightened onto the shaft. There are 3 or 4 little screws that hold it on solidly. after that part is tight, you push the base part up and twist it onto the bottom of the top knob portion to cover up the screws.

Hint, there will be a slight gap from the bottom of the knob to the shift boot when you are done because the momo knob is shorter than stock. to get rid of that gap, after the knob is attached , flip the shift boot inside out and use tape or a rubber band to secure the shift boot higher up so that it starts right where the bottom of the new knob is.

hope that helps.