Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > 5 Series DIY

5 Series DIY
Knowledge Is Power! ~ The place for do-it-yourself threads on a variety of topics. Start a thread describing a particular job (oil change, cooling system overhaul, brakes, shocks and springs, etc.) or search for one you need help with!

Old 12-12-2014, 05:30 PM
Mein Auto:
Paint repair

Sooo pep boys sold me some BMW scratch cover up paint. I went home applied it as the instructions said and the colors don't match.....what to do? How do I get the paint off or reverse the procedure?? Help!
Old 09-22-2015, 05:54 PM
Mein Auto: 2003 530i Sport, Tundra
I have an old Tundra that I bought new years ago. It is in really good condition, but it had the typical door dings, chips & scratches that a 10-year old truck accumulates. Its a truck, and old truck at that, so I really shouldn't give a crap, should I?

I initially tried the touch up paint, and it looked worse!!! The truck had door dings, chips, scratches AND GRAFFITI!!! Man did I ever screw it up.

I spoke to my local Toyota stealership. They have a "reconditioning contractor" that stops by once or twice a week to do touch up work on their trade-in cars that they are going to put on the lot. I showed him my truck and we talked about it. He ordered the paint for my truck, came to my house and fixed every little dent and scratch for 250 bucks. Some dents were tapped out, others got bondo. He used a small paint sprayer like the ones used for model air planes. He blended the paint and after it dried, he buffed and polished it out. Its been a few years and the paint work still looks great.

I suggest that you call a few of your local stealerships and ask them if they have a "reconditioning contractor."
Old 09-22-2015, 06:21 PM
Nothing to read here...
Mein Auto: 2001 525i 5 spd
Well If you look for the color code, on the underside of the bonnet/hood near the passenger side shock, you should be able to find the bmw touch up kit online.

Of course its not just about apply and forget it. You must sand the area around the scratch down just enough to remove the clear coat, touch up the chip. You may need to apply multiple coats. Then after the touch up paint dries enough sand it down so the touch up paint is flush and even with the rest of the paint, clear coat it sand again and buff it all out.
There is a good diy by bluebee, ill try to link it.

Or if you dont want to do it yourself follow tx530i advice or visit a detail shop
The Crappitto-Stockitto

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > 5 Series DIY
Today's Posts Search