Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > 5 Series DIY

5 Series DIY
Knowledge Is Power! ~ The place for do-it-yourself threads on a variety of topics. Start a thread describing a particular job (oil change, cooling system overhaul, brakes, shocks and springs, etc.) or search for one you need help with!

Old 03-23-2011, 05:12 PM
5 Door'ing it!

Mein Auto: 99 528IT/10 Maxima
They say 5 minutes.

1999 528it Sport 5Sp
Old 11-04-2011, 04:03 AM

Mein Auto: e39 520I exe 96
Mine is also glued with epoxy. It dont come off when i tried to cut the epoxy. Does someone has some suggestions?
Old 11-05-2011, 10:28 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2001 530i
I replaced the adjusters on 2001 530i Hella HID headlights today using the procedure in this thread. The procedure worked well. Here are a few observations.

I used the aluminum adjusters from EAC which are threaded. I didn't need to cut threads in the adjuster with the screw.

Mark at EAC suggested baking the headlights at 210 F for 7 minutes instead of 5 minutes at 200 F. After I removed lens, I baked the headlights for two more minutes to ease the removal of the bezel.

I found that if I removed the HID bulb so I could see the auto-leveling motor ball and socket. This made it easier to reinstall the auto-leveling motor ball in the assembly socket. The ball came out of the socket to the right on both headlights.

I removed the socket from the reflector assembly to get the old plastic adjuster remnants out. This allowed me to use a small screwdriver to depress the retaining tab from the back of the socket so the screwdriver did not interfere with the ball removal.

I didn't realize how poorly the lights were working. This repair restored their performance.
OSRAM CBI

BMWCCA Member #337964
Old 11-19-2011, 09:55 AM

Mein Auto: 2001 530i
I stumbled upon a source of butyl rubber glue for headlights. My headlights went back together well and appear to be well sealed, but I thought it might be helpful to people replacing adjusters if the headlights do not seal well on re-assembly.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	oci-butyl-rubber-glue-03l.jpg
Views:	1023
Size:	73.3 KB
ID:	301752  
OSRAM CBI

BMWCCA Member #337964
Old 12-07-2011, 09:11 AM

Mein Auto: 525i
Smile Works on 00 525i

Quote:
Originally Posted by findog View Post
Just want to share my fix for 01 - 03 E39 Headlight adjusters. I found the parts at http://www.odometergears.com and thought I would give it a shot. Parts worked out great, it's nice to have headlights that don't point down.

PDF DIY -
Part 1 - http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/att...9&d=1165817474
Part 2 - http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/att...1&d=1165817580
Followed your instructions and got parts for £10 Great help Thank you 2000 525i
Old 01-31-2012, 06:33 PM

Mein Auto: 530i and 323i
Excellent writeup. I was able to fix my adjusters. Thanks a lot.
Old 02-08-2012, 03:35 PM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
For the record, there is useful headlight adjuster information here today:
- E39 (1997 - 2003) > 2003 530i Sport Headlight Adjustment - How
Your job, in return, is to read the suggested threads, where the best people will always add value to those threads, either by pictures or by descriptions, so the next person with the same problem stands on your shoulders.
See also: E39 Bestlinks & How to easily find what you need
Old 05-20-2012, 05:25 AM

Mein Auto: '03 E39 M sport / E86M
Hello all,
Looks like I have to deal with this issue at well. I have an '03, and the autoleveling headlights have stopped leveling when I turn the car on, and they point rather low on the road. I have not yet attempted to make any adjustments on my own. Mark@EAC, are you still working with these '03 assemblies? Is it pretty clear that I need new adjusters? Thanks all.
Old 09-04-2012, 06:28 AM

Mein Auto: 2002 530i
Hey, just wanted to drop by and say thank you for the excellent writeup! I followed it this weekend and now the lights adjust properly. Thanks again!
Old 06-24-2013, 10:51 AM

Mein Auto: 2003 BMW 530i
Why BMW has not recalled the headlights on the e39s is beyond me. This is a safety issue, since we have like maybe 10 feet of visibility at night when our adjusters are broken. After spending 4 hours trying to cut the epoxy on one housing, I decided to just drop $750 on a pair of new OEM housings I found on eBay.
2003 BMW 530i|Alpine White III/SandBeige|5-Speed|148,000 miles|17" BBS RK, 8.5" Front, 10" Rear|Eibach Front and Rear AntiRoll Kit|Solowerks S1 Coilovers|"Muffler Delete" Mod|ZHP Shift Knob|Mtech Front Bumper with T-bar Grille|M Sport Steering Wheel Swap|Auxiliary Input Mod

Do you live in or near Jacksonville, FL? Interested in hooking up with fellow BMW owners? Check out JaxBimmers!
Old 08-29-2013, 04:45 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 540i
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaveItK View Post
Good write up!

I was able to get mine apart and found out my adjusters are just fine!!! I've been using zip ties to hold the light higher thinking they were broken! Turns out, the lights are fine.. probably the fact that I'm so tall, maybe has a little to do with it me thinking the lights were too low
It might be your level sensor on the control arm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark@EAC View Post
Not only is EAC the only company in the USA who sells the aluminum repair parts, I offer to repair the 2002-2003 lights that will not open in the oven for you. Getting the lens off with a knife or blade is VERY difficult and you will not do so without sacrificing the seal of the light. I have a much better method that does not let moisture or fog build in the lights. I have been repairing these for about 4 years with fantastic results. If anyone would like to send theirs in just send me an email or PM.
I broke at least one of mine after a slight hit. But I'm not willing to do the work. Mine are 2001. Sorry about the offtopic but I found no contact info. I can not PM you or anything else.
Old 02-18-2014, 11:31 AM

Mein Auto: 530i and X5
Thank you Findog for your very detailed instructions and great pictures for performing this procedure. I bought my replacement adjusters, had all my tools ready to go, but was stopped short when I discovered my headlights are sealed with epoxy. (Thank you Oscswa for posting this important information!)

Although I did not succeed, Iím proud of the fact that I removed my headlight, tried to open it, and reinstalled my headlight all by myself. I felt the need to post to hopefully encourage some of you boys to try this. Iím a 42-year old house wife with little automotive experience and I was able to handle it.

ďExperience is what you get when you don't get what you want.Ē
Old 03-10-2014, 09:02 AM
Jobu

Mein Auto: 2003 530i, 2011 X5d
Hi folks,
Mine finally went. Is there any way to find out if my housing is epoxied before I start the DIY repair process???

Thanks!!
Old 06-17-2014, 11:14 PM

The headlight adjustment question came up again today ...
> E39 (1997 - 2003) > Headlight adjustment
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikolai View Post
How do you adjust the high beam as there is only one up/down knob?
Your job, in return, is to read the suggested threads, where the best people will always add value to those threads, either by pictures or by descriptions, so the next person with the same problem stands on your shoulders.
Old 06-19-2014, 04:26 PM

Here is useful information today ...
> E39 (1997 - 2003) > Headlight adjustment
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdl View Post
Nikolai

Edjack is correct. The relative aim of the low & high beam patterns is fixed by design & manufacture. One aims the low beam & the high beam is "automatically correct."

If you're asking the question because the high beam is mis-aimed after the low beam is set, the problem is in the bulbs. If the bulb's filament isn't in exactly the correct location with respect to its reflector the aim point &/or beam pattern will be "off."

1 One or other or both of the bulbs are not seated properly
2 or you have a poor quality bulb(s) - filament out of position
3 or the bulb's mounting flange is bent.

It would also be possible that the reflector assy or bulb mounting socket could be damaged if the lights have been handled roughly when replacing bulbs. Not likely, they're fairly robust, I've never seen it, but a theoretical possibility.
Old 06-20-2014, 04:43 PM

See also:
- Headlight aiming DIYs (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) & how to physically remove the BMW E39 Hella headlights (1) & how to twist out the headlight bulbs (1) (2) (3) including HIDs (1) & which stock H7 'halogen' bulbs to buy (1) (2) (3) & how to physically remove the front turn signal bulb (1) (2) (3) (4) & what front turn signal bulb to replace it with (1) & how to remove the angel eye bulb (1) (2) (3) & which stock angel-eye bulbs to buy (1) (2) (3) & how to retrofit halogen angeleye bulbs to LEDs (1) (2) (3) (4) & how to modify pre-facelift headlights to angel eyes (1) (2) (3) (4) & headlight plastic polishing & refinishing DIYs (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) & replacing just the headlight lens (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) & how to cross reference all light bulbs for any BMW E39 including for the headlights, stoplights, backup, blinkers, dome, vanity, side markers, licplate, parking, fog, trunk/boot, glovebox, etc. (1) & more information if you really want to know everything about broken headlight adjusters (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) & how to make your own headlight adjusters (0) (1) (2) (3) and a summary list of all your options when your headlight adjusters are broken (1) & headlight autopsy photos (1) (2) (3) & an explanation of the weird flat spot on the USA spec headlights (1) (2) & an explanation of HID versus conventional headlights and why the high beam is always a halogen H7 bulb (1) (2) (3) & the age-old argument of whether to buy aftermarket DJ Auto or Depo headlights (1) or OEM Hellas (1).