Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 02-04-2010, 07:15 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X3
Air Filter DIY

I remember seeing a DIY on replacing a Air Filter on X3, but not sure in which forum. Would appreciate if anyone could post the link or images on how to replace air filter on 2004 X3.
Thanks in advance.
Advertisement
Old 02-04-2010, 09:11 PM
Tar Heel Faithful

Send a message via AIM to AzNMpower32
Mein Auto: 2014 Mazda3 GT
Do you know where the engine air filter box is? With you looking under the hood, it's on the bottom right hand side, behind the driver's headlamp. It's 4 or 5 clips to undo and the top cover just comes off.
Old 02-04-2010, 11:24 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2004 X3 2.5i
One or two of the clips are hidden from obvious view, so you may have to feel around for them.

They are not all oriented the same way (up or down) to add further interest.

Without disconnecting the ducting, the top of the air box can be lifted just enough to get the old filter out and the new one in.

Looks something like the attached picture.

It might be worthwhile to clean out the inlet side of the box (the base) before putting the new filter in.

(This is where DIY adds value over a BMW technician working on a flat rate basis.)

A dustbuster works fine, or a painter's tack cloth.

To finish off, make sure all the clips are properly secured.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	airfilterjpg.jpg
Views:	348
Size:	104.0 KB
ID:	217267  
Old 02-05-2010, 07:12 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 X3 2.0d MT
Guys, how much $$$ is an air filter? Thanks
Old 02-05-2010, 07:51 AM

Mein Auto: '06 X3
It is one of the few DIY jobs on the X3 that anyone can do easily (watch those clips though). When I remove the stock air filter element in any of my cars or trucks I replace it with a K&N element. Then I just leave it in until I sell the car since it has been my experience that cleaning and re-oiling the element is where problems with the MAF arise (over oiling). Do I notice any performance gains? I like to think so, but can't prove it, but it does sound better under full throttle.

Last edited by UncleJ; 02-05-2010 at 07:53 AM.
Old 02-05-2010, 06:43 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X3
Thank you guys. I know where the air filter box is, but I was scared to pull off the cover after the clips were undone. I shall try again and post my findings and experience here. Thanks once again to everyone.
Old 02-10-2010, 06:28 AM
Bleed blue and white

Send a message via Yahoo to T1T2GRE
Mein Auto: 2011 1 Series M Coupe
Don't be worried - there's enough play to open the box enough to swap a filter w/o fiddling with the adjacent tubing and MAF.

Just be sure the clips are all locked down afterward. It may be useful to clip them down in a staggered fashion to avoid asymmetric closure, with a frustrating final clip closure (think of it like doing a headbolts).
Old 11-20-2012, 08:44 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 X3
Here is a link to a handy guide on how to easily change out your engine air filter and some suggestions on good quality OEM German filters that i have used. It's an easy and cheap way to make sure your engine is breathing clean air.

X3 DIY Engine Air Filter Change Guide

That's probably a bit of overkill for most people but i wanted it to be simple enough that anyone could try/do it. Hope it saves you some $$$.