Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 01-06-2007, 11:42 AM

Mein Auto: 325i
325i oil change

I just purchased a 325i (2002) with aprroximately 39,000 miles. It is going to need an oil change in about two months which I am going to try to change myself. How do you reset the odometer that monitors when the oil should be changed? Is a special tool required. I hear some people talking about lights on the display that have to be reset also, but haven't seen any lights. When do they come on, if my car has them?

Thanks for the info. if anyone can help.
Advertisement
Old 01-06-2007, 04:14 PM
Ubergeek

Send a message via AIM to KrisL Send a message via Yahoo to KrisL
Mein Auto: 330i ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by unc****** View Post
I just purchased a 325i (2002) with aprroximately 39,000 miles. It is going to need an oil change in about two months which I am going to try to change myself. How do you reset the odometer that monitors when the oil should be changed? Is a special tool required. I hear some people talking about lights on the display that have to be reset also, but haven't seen any lights. When do they come on, if my car has them?

Thanks for the info. if anyone can help.

PLEASE Search the forum next time, this is asked about once every other week .

RESETTING OIL SERVICE INDICATOR:
If your OBC needs to be reset after completing your oil change, there are two ways. NOTE: If you miss a step, just turn the key back off and try again:

A. Model Year 1999 to Mid-2000: You should have the older round 20-pin DLC connector under your hood behind the battery terminal, you need to use a small length of wire to connect (short) pins 7 and 19 for 3-5 seconds with the ignition key in position 1 (Accessory).

B. After Mid-2000: You should not have the 20-pin DLC connector. You only need to hold the left odometer reset button while turning the key to position 1 (Accessory). Keep holding the button for 5 or so seconds until any of the following shows in the display: OIL SERVICE or INSPECTION with RESET or RE. Release the button and press it again for another 5 or so seconds until RESET or RE flash. While the display flashes, press the button one more time briefly. If done correctly, END SIA should show up for a few seconds. All done
Old 04-16-2011, 04:19 PM

Mein Auto: 325i
Procedure B above did not work for my 2006 325i. Here are the steps that actually worked (Thanks to RJ for original post over at FixYa.com):
1) Start the engine
2) Wait for the computer to get to normal
3) Press and hold the trip mileage reset button until a ! in a triangle appears. Your maintenance info will pop up.
4) Select the item to reset (not sure whether you select items with the trip mileage button or the scroll lever on the side wand--I only had one item to reset).
5) Press the side button on the wand attached to the steering wheel once. It will say "reset." This button is what you use to browse through your computer.
6) Press and hold it the second time for 5 seconds or so and it will show a check mark next to "reset" confirming it has reset.

Hope that helps! I was getting tired of searching the forums for this answer and getting the SAME wrong instructions over and over!
Old 04-17-2011, 03:20 PM
Ubergeek

Send a message via AIM to KrisL Send a message via Yahoo to KrisL
Mein Auto: 330i ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceFuzz View Post
Procedure B above did not work for my 2006 325i. Here are the steps that actually worked (Thanks to RJ for original post over at FixYa.com):
1) Start the engine
2) Wait for the computer to get to normal
3) Press and hold the trip mileage reset button until a ! in a triangle appears. Your maintenance info will pop up.
4) Select the item to reset (not sure whether you select items with the trip mileage button or the scroll lever on the side wand--I only had one item to reset).
5) Press the side button on the wand attached to the steering wheel once. It will say "reset." This button is what you use to browse through your computer.
6) Press and hold it the second time for 5 seconds or so and it will show a check mark next to "reset" confirming it has reset.

Hope that helps! I was getting tired of searching the forums for this answer and getting the SAME wrong instructions over and over!
Your 2006 325i is not an E46 - this is the E46 forum - that's why!
Old 04-19-2011, 06:19 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Touring and others
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisL View Post
PLEASE Search the forum next time, this is asked about once every other week .

RESETTING OIL SERVICE INDICATOR:
If your OBC needs to be reset after completing your oil change, there are two ways. NOTE: If you miss a step, just turn the key back off and try again:

A. Model Year 1999 to Mid-2000: You should have the older round 20-pin DLC connector under your hood behind the battery terminal, you need to use a small length of wire to connect (short) pins 7 and 19 for 3-5 seconds with the ignition key in position 1 (Accessory).

B. After Mid-2000: You should not have the 20-pin DLC connector. You only need to hold the left odometer reset button while turning the key to position 1 (Accessory). Keep holding the button for 5 or so seconds until any of the following shows in the display: OIL SERVICE or INSPECTION with RESET or RE. Release the button and press it again for another 5 or so seconds until RESET or RE flash. While the display flashes, press the button one more time briefly. If done correctly, END SIA should show up for a few seconds. All done
Not necessarily true. My mid year 2000 has both the round 20 pin diagnostic port under the hood, and the ability to reset the service intervals from the instrument cluster too. I don't use the 20 pin connector to do anything. I will either use the ALDL connector under the dash, or the trip meter button on the IP.