Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)

7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Discussion pertaining to the flagship BMW here.

Old 09-14-2012, 08:14 PM
Major

Mein Auto: 745 li
I know that my friends e65 2008 has white door handle lights. I wonder if its same system but different bulb
Old 09-15-2012, 12:28 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 745LI
Quote:
Originally Posted by ***CCCP*** View Post
I dont think thats going to work
I just got part of my shipment. 2 bulbs came today, I guess the other 2 are still in transit.

CCCP, did you try adjusting the fiber optic cable at the top of the light module? I believe you might get different results depending on how close or far the cable is from the light source. If it doesn't work we might have to make something that directs the light up the cable. I could be completely wrong, but if you still have the door panel off, I would try it. If not I will try tomorrow.

Did you do this in a garage where you could see the full effect of the new led bulb? Since you are doing it in the day it might be that they will be dim in the day and bright at night. My mtec Angel Eyes look ok in the day time, but really pop at night. The same goes for my led turn signals.

Hope this helps

Jeff
Old 09-15-2012, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JML6278 View Post
I just got part of my shipment. 2 bulbs came today, I guess the other 2 are still in transit.

CCCP, did you try adjusting the fiber optic cable at the top of the light module? I believe you might get different results depending on how close or far the cable is from the light source. If it doesn't work we might have to make something that directs the light up the cable. I could be completely wrong, but if you still have the door panel off, I would try it. If not I will try tomorrow.

Did you do this in a garage where you could see the full effect of the new led bulb? Since you are doing it in the day it might be that they will be dim in the day and bright at night. My mtec Angel Eyes look ok in the day time, but really pop at night. The same goes for my led turn signals.

Hope this helps

Jeff

CCCp, ooops didn't see that you posted at night. I guess you can see the. Full effect (or no effect as you said). You said you know what to do now in the earlier post. What do you mean? Is there another type of bulb that would be white that isn't LED?

Also did you get all your bulbs in a single package or 2 separate packages?

Jeff
Old 09-15-2012, 12:42 PM

Quote:
I know that my friends e65 2008 has white door handle lights. I wonder if its same system but different bulb
I just had another thought. If moving the fiber optic cable closer or further away doesn't produce better results, I wonder if lining the inside of the lightmodule with a reflective tape or something that would direct more of the light upward would work.
Old 09-15-2012, 01:53 PM
Major

Well i placed the cable verry very close to led light and result was same. My friend has e65 2008 and his lights are white. I went to a dealer today hoping they have bulbs for it but they dont ill figure stuff out.
Old 09-15-2012, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Well i placed the cable verry very close to led light and result was same. My friend has e65 2008 and his lights are white. I went to a dealer today hoping they have bulbs for it but they dont ill figure stuff out.
Does your friend have comfort access in car? If so the light is built into the handle. Are their any ba9s bulbs that are hyper white halogen?
Old 09-15-2012, 02:32 PM
Major

Yeah he does have CA. Im not too sure if there is a bulb like that
Old 09-15-2012, 02:38 PM

Quote:
His led is in the CA handle so it won't help our situation. We may need to makeshift something that connects to the end of the cable and surrounds the bulb completely forcing the light upward instead of letting it scatter. We could test that theory by using tin foil to make a tube that goes over the led bulb (but doesn't touch it).

I know it might sound crazy but did you try moving the cable further away from the bulb to see if it would make a difference? Worth trying if you have the panel still removed.
Old 09-15-2012, 02:59 PM

Quote:
If we can't go LED then this might be an option:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/JDM-Polarg-M...-/400274474431

They are 8w vs. the LED which are 6w (I think). The stock bulbs are 10w so that could be 1 reason why they arent working out.
Old 09-15-2012, 06:39 PM
Major

I think we need these ones
http://item.mobileweb.ebay.ca/viewit...d=120985387248
Old 09-15-2012, 06:45 PM

Quote:
I like that they are 10w, but they are blue. I don't know if it matters, but in addition to us needing ba9s bulbs, the part number on the stock bulbs is 64113.

Did you get a chance to try moving the fiber optic cable to see if it makes any difference?

Can't believe it's so hard to get this done. Hasn't someone else done this? We can't be the first to attempt this.

Jeff
Old 09-15-2012, 07:22 PM
Major

I have no idea bro. Seems like ppl did this. Ive tried to move fiber optic cable really close to led light it was almost touching and it wasnt bright. And even if it help how would u make it stay closer to the bulb. It has that metal thing that clips into the plastic piece that is screwed to the door panel. Lights that i posted should work. Even tho they are blue im pretty sure result is going to be what we are looking for. Plus u asked if 4 bulbs came at ones- yes they did, they were both in my mailbox )) 2 different packages tho. 2 gray bags with bulbs wrapped in that foamy stuff
Old 09-15-2012, 07:27 PM

Quote:
I have no idea bro. Seems like ppl did this. Ive tried to move fiber optic cable really close to led light it was almost touching and it wasnt bright. And even if it help how would u make it stay closer to the bulb. It has that metal thing that clips into the plastic piece that is screwed to the door panel. Lights that i posted should work. Even tho they are blue im pretty sure result is going to be what we are looking for. Plus u asked if 4 bulbs came at ones- yes they did, they were both in my mailbox )) 2 different packages tho. 2 gray bags with bulbs wrapped in that foamy stuff
I got 1 gray bag with the bulbs wrapped in foam. I'll probably get the other bag Monday. Do you see any light from these bulbs? Is it enough to notice from a distance? If their was nothing else available would these bulbs be better than seeing that horrible yellow/orange that we see now?

Jeff-

Btw- how would the blue bulbs give us what we are looking for?
Old 09-15-2012, 07:53 PM
Major

U can see a bit but it was in a dark garage and it was hard to notice i honestly thought that the bulb went out as soon as i plugged it in but i went to the socket and i could see light coming from the top of it. Then i got closer to the door handle and saw that dim light. I would leave my ugly yellow ones lol. Dont want crappy white lights. How do u know that cars with CA have different set up? What do we need for that? Any info or pictures.
I think those blue ones are going to work fine by the time it goes through fiberoptic cable to that plexiglass tube in the door handle it should come out like what we want.
Btw. Do u know that red led in the door just above the door handle on the inside of the door. Is it same light bulb wer trying to figure out or its totally different set up
Old 09-15-2012, 07:54 PM
Major

Why dont u go play with the bulbs u got
Old 09-15-2012, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Why dont u go play with the bulbs u got
I'm going to tomorrow.
Old 09-15-2012, 08:08 PM

Quote:
U can see a bit but it was in a dark garage and it was hard to notice i honestly thought that the bulb went out as soon as i plugged it in but i went to the socket and i could see light coming from the top of it. Then i got closer to the door handle and saw that dim light. I would leave my ugly yellow ones lol. Dont want crappy white lights. How do u know that cars with CA have different set up? What do we need for that? Any info or pictures.
I think those blue ones are going to work fine by the time it goes through fiberoptic cable to that plexiglass tube in the door handle it should come out like what we want.
Btw. Do u know that red led in the door just above the door handle on the inside of the door. Is it same light bulb wer trying to figure out or its totally different set up
I was told by STUARTJOHN24 that the CA handles had the LED built in. If you want to get the CA handles they are expensive ($500 new $150-$200 on eBay) you also need to have the wiring harness, so if you have the soft close doors then the wiring is there, if not you are looking at installing a new wiring harness to accommodate the CA handles. If you want to do the CA retrofit ACE has posted a DIY. He has the soft close doors so his car was pre-wired to accept the CA door handles. I also hear that the CA door handles have problems and are very sensitive.

I think we should stick with trying different bulbs unless I find some way of getting the ones we have to send more light up the fiber optic cable. Not confident but I will try my best and report back tomorrow.
Old 09-15-2012, 08:52 PM
Major

i have soft closing doors but i dont want CA option its useless i dont think i will ever want car with CA option i just want white bulbs that work.... i was actually asking what kinda system is inside there can we have something like that by buying something to have same led light as CA handles have
Old 09-16-2012, 09:43 AM

Quote:
I'm going to tomorrow.
CCCP, I Installed the LED this morning while I was replacing the operating rod on my drivers side door. It got bent the first time I took the door panel off and didn't sit at te correct height when I locked/unlocked the door. Anyone taking the door panel off should be aware that if you don't lift straight up you can bend the rod easily. I've never done it since, and it's only a $9 part, but people should be aware.

Now back to out issue with the LED. I lined the inside of the upper plastic light module piece with reflective tape hoping it would somehow amplify, or redirect the light upward. Unfortunately that didn't seem to do much good. Their are 2 reasons why LED probably isn't the best choice for our bulb retrofit as I'm now calling it. 1. It doesn't seem to light up immediately. I noticed that it took a second or two to even see that it lit up. 2. Not enough light is being directed up, and these bulbs are only 6w while the stock are 10w. In addition 4 of the 5 LED's are pointing directly away from the small base of the fiber optic cable.

We would need a higher wattage series of LED lights pointing upward, and I'm not even sure that would make us happy. I think if we wanted to go LED we would need something custom work done where the LED was connected to the fiber optic cable via some sort of tube that forced all the light upward and didn't allow the light to get scattered like our setup does.

Since that isn't a likely option, we are back to Halogen. I think we need 10w or close and even though you think the blue bulbs will somehow give us the desired outcome, I think you will see blue if you go that route (CCCP). Right now I've been able to find an ultra white halogen bulb but it's not 10w. I will continue looking.

Maybe someone else can chime in with ideas of how to get this done.

Thanks,

Jeff
Old 09-16-2012, 12:01 PM
Major

Quote:
CCCP, I Installed the LED this morning while I was replacing the operating rod on my drivers side door. It got bent the first time I took the door panel off and didn't sit at te correct height when I locked/unlocked the door. Anyone taking the door panel off should be aware that if you don't lift straight up you can bend the rod easily. I've never done it since, and it's only a $9 part, but people should be aware.

Now back to out issue with the LED. I lined the inside of the upper plastic light module piece with reflective tape hoping it would somehow amplify, or redirect the light upward. Unfortunately that didn't seem to do much good. Their are 2 reasons why LED probably isn't the best choice for our bulb retrofit as I'm now calling it. 1. It doesn't seem to light up immediately. I noticed that it took a second or two to even see that it lit up. 2. Not enough light is being directed up, and these bulbs are only 6w while the stock are 10w. In addition 4 of the 5 LED's are pointing directly away from the small base of the fiber optic cable.

We would need a higher wattage series of LED lights pointing upward, and I'm not even sure that would make us happy. I think if we wanted to go LED we would need something custom work done where the LED was connected to the fiber optic cable via some sort of tube that forced all the light upward and didn't allow the light to get scattered like our setup does.

Since that isn't a likely option, we are back to Halogen. I think we need 10w or close and even though you think the blue bulbs will somehow give us the desired outcome, I think you will see blue if you go that route (CCCP). Right now I've been able to find an ultra white halogen bulb but it's not 10w. I will continue looking.

Maybe someone else can chime in with ideas of how to get this done.

Thanks,

Jeff
Well how bout i can buy those blue ones and u can by white ones see whats up
Old 09-16-2012, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Well how bout i can buy those blue ones and u can by white ones see whats up
The white ones are about $30 for 4. I hope they work. Not that $30 is a big deal, but I'd like to end this project with a good result and not have to keep trying new bulbs.

Good luck with your alternator issue.
Old 09-16-2012, 05:13 PM
Major

I hear you man.
Old 09-16-2012, 05:44 PM

Quote:
I hear you man.
I think I may be done with this project. I just took pictures of my door handles at night. While they are not bright, my goal has always been to get rid of the ugly yellow/orange light from my door handles. The light is there to let you know where the handles are if you happen to be in a dark area with no lighting. I mostly hated the contrast between my white LED's everywhere else and the yellow/orange. I'm not sure why having them very bright makes a difference. I can understand wanting the brighter LED's for the Angel Eyes, and that's why I got the Mtec's and replaced my other LED Angel Eyes which weren't bright enough.

CCCP, If mine are brighter than yours it would be because I put the reflective tape inside the light module upper housing. If they are the same and you just want something as bright as the stock ones just in white, then you will have to continue your quest. I may change my mind after seeing yours after you finally find the right solution for you.

Just for anyone else's information. Mine do not show up in the day time (or at least, not while it was sunny today) CCCP, can you tell me why you want them bright?

I have attached some pictures taken with my phone in a unlit area. Since I haven't done the other doors yet you can see the difference between these LED's and the stock halogen bulbs.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 1-1.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	40.3 KB
ID:	342115   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 2-1.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	41.0 KB
ID:	342116   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 3-1.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	41.1 KB
ID:	342117   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 4-1.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	38.9 KB
ID:	342118  
Old 09-16-2012, 05:53 PM
Major

Mine were like that too)) i dont know why i want them bright. I have bulbs i can throw them anytime. I just saw that my friends 08 has white and bright lights. So thats what i want. I wanna try those blue ones i showed u and thats it. Just to see how its going to look.
Old 09-16-2012, 05:54 PM
Major

Btw do they blink when u start the car