Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Bimmerfest 2014 > Previous Events > Bimmerfest 2007: Santa Barbara, CA

Bimmerfest 2007: Santa Barbara, CA
Mark it on your calendar, Bimmerfest 2007 will be held on May 5, 2007 at the Earl Warren Showgrounds!
Sponsored by Supersprint North America

Old 01-16-2007, 09:09 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '91 M5, Alpina B10 BT
Bad press for the "fest

Look at the shirt the kid is wearing in the top pic of this article. http://www.news10.net/display_story.aspx?storyid=23371

It's a complete shame what happened. A second grade teacher dies do to poor judgment from these kids. The kids will be going away for a while.

Greg S.

M5 Touring #1
Ads by Google
Old 01-16-2007, 09:39 AM
Carbon Calypso

Send a message via AIM to BMWALDO
Mein Auto: '96 328i; '82 320i
Rrr... Crap ya... Read that on bf.c
Old 01-16-2007, 10:48 AM
Just a Gigolo

Mein Auto: '02 540iA '05 M3

'05 M3 Track Beast - Ground Control coilovers - APEX Arc8's in Nitto NT01's - Fabspeed Headers - ESS Tune - Auto Club 1:58.5 - Streets 1:29.9
"You know, one of the hardest parts of my job is to connect Iraq to the war on terror."—President Bush; Interview with CBS News, Washington D.C., Sept. 6, 2006
Old 01-16-2007, 11:37 AM
Drives cars for a living!

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW 335i
I'm gonna guess there are not many of those shirts out there, so someone on here must know something.
Old 01-16-2007, 12:08 PM

Mein Auto: 97 White 328iC
I don't know who the drivers were, but here's a link to the article in the local paper:
http://www.sacbee.com/101/story/107841.html

Sorry, looks like the link is having a problem... Here's the text:

Regional digest: Police say woman killed in street racing incident
Published 12:00 am PST Sunday, January 14, 2007
Story appeared in METRO section, Page B2

Print | E-Mail | Comments (14)

FOLSOM -- A 53-year-old wife and mother on a weekend shopping trip was killed in a car wreck Saturday by a teenage driver who was street racing, Folsom police said.

The woman, driving a black Toyota Solara, was pulling out of the Folsom Premium Outlets and turning onto Iron Point Road when a red Dodge Stealth broadsided her about 2:45 p.m., said Officer Michelle Beattie, Folsom police spokeswoman.

As officers and a civilian performed cardiopulmonary resuscitation, an ambulance took the woman to Mercy San Juan Medical Center.

She was pronounced dead about 5 p.m., according to the Sacramento County Coroner's Office.

The coroner identified the victim as Susan McNew of Shingle Springs and said she was married with children.

Beattie said witnesses had seen the Dodge and a white BMW 5-series vehicle apparently racing and changing lanes erratically for some distance.

Witnesses said the cars had reached speeds of 60 to 80 mph in an area where the speed limit is 45 mph, and there was substantial weekend traffic, Beattie said.

"There were a lot of people out shopping and going to restaurants," she said.

The Dodge and the BMW each carried a 17-year-old male driver and passenger. The Dodge driver was taken to the hospital and treated for pain, then arrested. His passenger also was treated and released.

The BMW driver, who was unhurt, also was arrested. His passenger was sent home.

All the teens knew each other, Beattie said.

"They're all 17," she said. "They're all boys. They're all friends. A woman shopping and heading home is caught in the middle of their game and killed. It's tragic."

Both drivers will be charged with vehicular manslaughter and reckless driving, Beattie said. Their names were not released because they are minors.

No drugs or alcohol were involved in the collision, she said.

-- Hudson Sangree

And here's a link to the comments on the article:
http://www.sacbee.com/dyn/comments/s...&tie_to=107841

I'm thinking loss of vehicles and jail time would be in order for the drivers.

Last edited by wag-zhp; 01-16-2007 at 12:14 PM.
Old 01-16-2007, 10:33 PM
///Monster Energy!

Send a message via AIM to BMWE30freak
Mein Auto: 1989 325i
that sucks. I've done stupid things in my car before but nothing that stupid.
Old 01-26-2007, 09:14 AM
balla on a budget

Mein Auto: 325i, 525i (retired)

RIP Susan McNew

www.cardomain.com/id/shragon
Old 01-29-2007, 11:40 AM

Mein Auto: 87.325is
YES!!!RIP Susan Mcnew,and the her familys lost as well...........
Old 01-29-2007, 11:45 AM

Mein Auto: 99...540i
This is all to comon problem with young kids that think they can drive.....and have these cars that sport some serious power.

Really to bad for the family of the teacher!

Its Going To Cost How Much???????
Old 01-29-2007, 11:51 AM

Mein Auto: It's constantly changing.
My prayers and condolences go out to Susan McNew's family and loved ones.
Old 01-31-2007, 04:32 PM
Overly Intellectual

Mein Auto: 2002 M5, 1999 M Roadster
My condolences to Susan McNew's family too.

Interesting development from the news link: "Under a new state law that went into effect January 1, a driver found responsible for another person's death during an illegal street race faces a prison term of up to 10 years. The passengers in the two vehicles could also face charges under the new law if it is determined they played a role in encouraging the race."

That new law should be publicized in order to help in it's deterrent effect. If these guys had known about it, would they have raced?

While I don't think there should be a law preventing kids from having a powerful car, I think parents should do everything they can to prevent kids from acquiring cars with a power to weight ratio of more than 1hp/20lbs in their first several years of driving; and parents need to TALK to their kids about the risks.
Old 02-09-2007, 02:54 AM
...is never off duty.

Mein Auto: E46 323i & E36 328is
Folsom is the next town over from me. I about pissed myself when I saw that. They should be locked up for life.

One of the officer's that arrived on scene was a female and her child was tought by the lady that got killed. Talk about tough to see.

Old 02-11-2007, 02:27 PM
///Monster Energy!

I agree with the power to weight ratio. For the first year I had my licence I drove a Prius

Now I've got my E30 which I made pretty darn fast, but if I had that when I first started I have a feeling that it would be destroyed by now. Also, some kids are ALOT more responsible then others. I'm not saying that I'm REALLY responsible, but I got my pilots licence before I even drove a car for the first time

The main point is, kids need to learn to be more responsible these days. THey have WAY more freedom then they ever used to and much more responsibility.
Old 02-12-2007, 05:41 PM
A Really Crazy Car Girl

Send a message via AIM to 94is
Mein Auto: 94' S50B32 325is
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_m5 View Post
My condolences to Susan McNew's family too.

Interesting development from the news link: "Under a new state law that went into effect January 1, a driver found responsible for another person's death during an illegal street race faces a prison term of up to 10 years. The passengers in the two vehicles could also face charges under the new law if it is determined they played a role in encouraging the race."

That new law should be publicized in order to help in it's deterrent effect. If these guys had known about it, would they have raced?

While I don't think there should be a law preventing kids from having a powerful car, I think parents should do everything they can to prevent kids from acquiring cars with a power to weight ratio of more than 1hp/20lbs in their first several years of driving; and parents need to TALK to their kids about the risks.
I don't understand why a passenger should have to accept any liability for that.
1994 325is #94 IP

Old 02-15-2007, 08:43 PM
///Monster Energy!

Well, they could have provoked the race. Trust me, when I have other kids in my car I have a tendancy to be more stupid behind the wheel
Old 02-16-2007, 10:38 AM
A Really Crazy Car Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWE30freak View Post
Well, they could have provoked the race. Trust me, when I have other kids in my car I have a tendancy to be more stupid behind the wheel
Then thats your fault, not your friends. Unless someone holds you at gunpoint, you have complete control over what you do.
1994 325is #94 IP

Old 02-16-2007, 02:51 PM
...is never off duty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94is View Post
Then thats your fault, not your friends. Unless someone holds you at gunpoint, you have complete control over what you do.
It's called guilt by association and/or by accessory. Street racing is a crime.

Old 02-16-2007, 04:30 PM
A Really Crazy Car Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad323i View Post
It's called guilt by association and/or by accessory. Street racing is a crime.
I agree that it is a crime, but I find it unfair that a passenger who has absolutely nothing to do with what's happening should be charged.
1994 325is #94 IP

Old 02-16-2007, 04:42 PM
TMS

Mein Auto: BMW
Quote:
The passengers in the two vehicles could also face charges under the new law if it is determined they played a role in encouraging the race."
Quote:
I agree that it is a crime, but I find it unfair that a passenger who has absolutely nothing to do with what's happening should be charged.
So would most people, which probably why the law was written to limit it to passengers who "played a role in encouraging the race."
Old 02-16-2007, 11:50 PM
...is never off duty.

Quote:
A lot of the law is written in such that the courts interpret and rule based on the individual cases and based on case law, Stare Decisis (previous court rulings). Then you factor a jury into the equation and you never know what to expect.

In law enforcement we use the term "charge up and charge all," meaning file any charge legally possible and let the DA (district attorney) decide what they want to pursue for court prosecution. This way the lessor included charges can be dropped while the heavier charges remain.

Remember: Police done press charges, they file them to the DA's office only. If the DA agrees, he/she will pursue the filings and charges will be brought.

Old 02-21-2007, 05:21 PM
Overly Intellectual

Mein Auto: 2002 M5, 1999 M Roadster
94is, Cliff:
I'm not a proponent of that law, just reporting what I found in the news report. My personal opinion is that kids (including me when I was young and foolish) will do stupid stuff at the slightest provocation. I had a supercharged Chevy Camaro Z/28 and loved to hear the sound of the engine roaring at redline through a tunnel or residential neighborhood, backwards on the sidewalk, whatever. OK, maybe not backwards on the sidewalk, but you get my point. However, I drove like a little old man when my mom was in the car.

Years of driving Japanese imports after that taught me patience. Now, I'm having more fun, but trying to stay mellow.

Passengers have an effect on how you drive. If you're running on Testosterone or have something to prove to someone who is, then "it's on." Sadly, passengers play a role. I think the government is trying to make passengers take some responsibility if they are instigating trouble. It's like "Conspiracy" law. You don't have to be the "trigger man" to go be guilty of conspiracy to commit murder.

So, as they say, it is what it is. C'est la vie. If you don't like it, start a ballot initiative. I'd start one, but I'm too apathetic. ...at least I vote...
Old 02-21-2007, 05:35 PM
TMS

Mein Auto: BMW
Quote:
Cliff:
I'm not a proponent of that law, just reporting what I found in the news report.
I know. I was just quoting you quoting the law.
Old 03-05-2007, 01:12 PM
A little new school

Send a message via MSN to JRoss22
Mein Auto: 2000 328Ci 5spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by 540Greg View Post
Look at the shirt the kid is wearing in the top pic of this article. http://www.news10.net/display_story.aspx?storyid=23371

It's a complete shame what happened. A second grade teacher dies do to poor judgment from these kids. The kids will be going away for a while.

Greg S.
The Drivers are both on house arrest right now. I have met the driver of the stealth. He is best friends with a guy at my work. Its a shame what happened but everyone makes mistakes and has to live with the consequences for the rest of there lives. I wouldn't be surprised if he has nightmares from the crash.
Old 03-05-2007, 04:21 PM
The only cars to drive...

Mein Auto: 2002, 3.0 CS, Z4 3.0i
"Spare the rod, spoil the child."

May their parents be charged as well.
Old 03-05-2007, 04:58 PM
Con Artist For Hire

Send a message via AIM to 1995_e36M3Blue Send a message via Yahoo to 1995_e36M3Blue
Mein Auto: 1995 M3 (Blue)
My condolences to Susan McNew's family.

Quote:
While I don't think there should be a law preventing kids from having a powerful car, I think parents should do everything they can to prevent kids from acquiring cars with a power to weight ratio of more than 1hp/20lbs in their first several years of driving
I do agree with you on the fact that Parents should explain these risks, I do not however agree on your opinion on whether or not parents should provide kids with powerful cars. It is my thought that by putting a teenager in a powerful car which they will in most cases cherish, that the individual will feel obligated to preserve this vehicle and not endanger themselve or the vehicle. I do belive that there is a limit to what a new/young driver should have access to as far as power though.

Every Aspect Counts
///My MySpace...