Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Bimmerfest 2014 > Previous Events > Bimmerfest 2007: Santa Barbara, CA

Bimmerfest 2007: Santa Barbara, CA
Mark it on your calendar, Bimmerfest 2007 will be held on May 5, 2007 at the Earl Warren Showgrounds!
Sponsored by Supersprint North America

Old 04-18-2007, 08:16 AM
It's not all that bad...

Mein Auto: 01 M coupe, 05 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_m5 View Post
I agree with everything you said, Chief. Just one question:

What do you mean by "was interviewed by a local fish wrap"?

Sounds like he is referring to the local newspaper. It alludes to the practice of wrapping fish in newpaper. Usually meant as an insult.
Old 04-18-2007, 08:44 AM
Overly Intellectual

Mein Auto: 2002 M5, 1999 M Roadster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt Martin View Post
Sounds like he is referring to the local newspaper. It alludes to the practice of wrapping fish in newpaper. Usually meant as an insult.
That's gross. Newsprint tastes nasty. Don't ask me how I know...

I thought he meant something else, like a female reporter in a tight skirt...
Old 04-18-2007, 12:30 PM
...is never off duty.

Mein Auto: E46 323i & E36 328is
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt Martin View Post
Bingo. A newspaper of poor reputation.

Old 04-18-2007, 02:21 PM
Tamer of the Mighty V8

Mein Auto: Black 1995 540i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad323i View Post
Bingo. A newspaper of poor reputation.

Surprise surprise!!!!
Old 04-18-2007, 02:29 PM
TMS

Mein Auto: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief915 View Post
I'll start by saying that when one of the locals that drive that street regularly was interviewed by a local fish wrap, said that there was plenty of un-abstructed view and had the driver of the car that was hit looked before she pulled out, she would not have pulled out.
That sounds an awful lot to me like blaming the victim. Too bad she didn't survive the crash to defend herself...
Old 04-18-2007, 03:16 PM
BMW EMPLOYEE

Mein Auto: E30 325IS
Victim?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff View Post
That sounds an awful lot to me like blaming the victim. Too bad she didn't survive the crash to defend herself...

What ur not thinking about is that there is more than one victim here. Yes, she lost her life in a tragic accident, she has alot of prayers and thoughts with her and her family.
What if these kids are being punished for something that is not their fault. Again, they are suspected of racing, were not proved to be racing.
If they are innocent of the crime they are being charged with, what kind of impact has the media and all the people that have already judged them have on their lives... no one deserves that. Is it ok that there are people that are trying to stick up for them? Can it be that there is no fault? Or is it that if it's not one person's fault it has to be the other's? Someone has to be to blame right? WRONG !!
Innocent until proven guilty...

Last edited by E30 325IS; 04-18-2007 at 03:22 PM.
Old 04-18-2007, 03:27 PM
TMS

Mein Auto: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by E30 325IS View Post
What ur not thinking about is that there is more than one victim here. Yes, she lost her life in a tragic accident, she has alot of prayers and thoughts with her and her family.
What if these kids are being punished for something that is not their fault. Again, they are suspected of racing, were not proved to be racing.
If they are innocent of the crime they are being charged with, what kind of impact has the media and all the people that have already judged them have on their lives... no one deserves that. Is it ok that there are people that are trying to stick up for them? Can it be that there is no fault? Or is it that if it's not one person's fault it has to be the other's? Someone has to be to blame right? WRONG !!
Innocent until proven guilty...
The only facts available are those in the article linked to in the original post. The Sacbee article seems to have been archived, although I recall it being in general agreement with the first article. The articles are likely quoting police sources for facts about the crash. I have no reason to doubt them.

If you'd like to post links to realiable sources of factual evidence that contradicts the news reports (i.e.: other news sources, police reports, court documents, etc.), then go for it. Otherwise, your opinion is noted and is no more valid than my own.
Old 04-18-2007, 05:36 PM
BMW EMPLOYEE

Mein Auto: E30 325IS
misunderstood

All I'm tryin to say is there is not factual evedence or proof of the situation available to the public or media. If all you have to go by is a news reports or what the media has to say think about how reliable your source is before you judge someone.
Old 04-19-2007, 01:50 AM
...is never off duty.

Mein Auto: E46 323i & E36 328is
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
Surprise surprise!!!!
Law agencies for the most part hate the media. BUT on the other hand, it serves as a checks and balances for our government (federal) making things public.

Quote:
Originally Posted by E30 325IS View Post
All I'm tryin to say is there is not factual evedence or proof of the situation available to the public or media. If all you have to go by is a news reports or what the media has to say think about how reliable your source is before you judge someone.
By the end of most articles, the writers opinion is usually tossed around in it. The Sac Bee is notorious for ripping the Sacramento Sheriffs Dpt. Unless there are clear facts and for sure direct quotes from an interview, never call it accurate. Even with interviews, reporters tend to slant the responses from my experience.

P.S. This thread awakens every other week!

Old 04-19-2007, 06:45 AM
Overly Intellectual

Mein Auto: 2002 M5, 1999 M Roadster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad323i View Post
Law agencies for the most part hate the media. BUT on the other hand, it serves as a checks and balances for our government (federal) making things public.
They aren't the only ones. The media isn't as unbiased and concerned with facts as it should be. Even in interviews.

There was a building burning next door to where I lived about 20 years ago, and there's this guy who says "check this out, I'm gonna tell those reporters I saw the whole thing." after he just showed up at the same time as everyone else . Sure enough, they interview him and it aires - and it was total B.S.

Not to mention, you always see them take stuff out of context to sensationalize. Plus, you know they have an agenda. It's "whatever will sell." It's not about the truth.
Old 04-19-2007, 06:19 PM
Bring the 'fest to Dallas

Send a message via AIM to Buyse13
Mein Auto: 01 325i ZSP
Media in general also tries to push teenagers into the ground as if we are the enemy on the inside and trying to create anarchy. And with a teacher involved it just makes it much much easier for the media to accuse the teenagers involved of racing and pinning all the blame on the youngsters before anyone that is reading the article has the chance to focus on the big picture rather than how the media targets teens in a blame game.

ya i know this sounds very much like i am saying "we are the true victims" but that is not what i am going for. Between the ages of 12 and 22 the media has predetermined as vile and rebellious no matter what the circumstances are. A person between those ages either wasn't paying attention, being intolerant, or at complete fault which results in something bad happening.

sometimes this is completely not true, but generally this is the case.