Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E36 /7 Z3 (1996-2002)

E36 /7 Z3 (1996-2002)
E36/7 Z3 roadster and coupe talk with our gurus here.

Old 01-01-2003, 04:13 PM
A Clean Windshield

Mein Auto: 2000 Imola M Coupe
Coupe Roof Rack Choices

I have seen many are using a Thule rack instead of the BMW one. Any reason for this or are they one and the same?

Dinan suspension, M rotors /Axxis pads
Eurosport Cam Kit 1, touch lane change
Zaino polish, Beach Sand
Garys mirror adapter, S54 Oil Cooler
seat tilt coupling nuts, spare tire

"life's to short to drink cheap beer"

Ads by Google
Old 01-01-2003, 07:19 PM
19,585 Miles

Mein Auto: Z4 M Coupe 6LL93033
Re: Coupe Roof Rack Choices

Quote:
Originally posted by bob lindquist
I have seen many are using a Thule rack instead of the BMW one. Any reason for this or are they one and the same?
Don't know.
I have the BMW ones.
Paul @ South Motors BMW in FL will discount 25% from suggested retail, plus shipping. 1-800-883-7278.

Old 01-02-2003, 04:52 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E86 Z4 M Coupe 7LM08376
I too have the BMW roof rack, but since I carry my track tires on the roof, I went with the more substantial Thule Lapplander basket:
http://www.lumenique.com/Cars/mcoupe...ations_pg1.htm

Jim Millet
2000 M Coupe
Old 01-02-2003, 10:32 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 00 M Coupe, 08 135i
Long time lurker, first time poster:

I have the Thule 753 rack, the reason for using it is two fold, security and cost. First, the bolts that hold it on to the roof are keyed with a post, so a standard allen cannot remove them, very simple and secure. Second, the rack is $200 cheaper than the BMW part, I got mine for $140. Bonuses are that it's all black, just more subtle, and it sits about an inch lower than the BMW rack, which makes for less wind noise while it's on. It also seems that the BMW rack is just a relabelled Thule for more than double the cash, now if Thule just made an S54 MCoupe for $23k!

The only potential downside is that the Thule 753 needs minor manipulation to fit an MC, as it was intended for 3er's and 5er's. The front setup works perfect, but since the roof of our car tapers as it goes back, you have to modify the undereside of the rear crossbar with a grinder or metal snips. Very minor work, three centimeters per side, cut into rather soft aluminum. Email if you want directions.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	side_640.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	282.0 KB
ID:	6226