Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 10-08-2015, 07:48 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 x35i
2011 x5 35i drivetrain clicking noise...(need help diagnosing)

40k miles on her

driving yesterday to work and developed a soft click as i let of the gas and when coasting around 40 mph.

since then it is louder and all the time when coasting and off the gas and even on slow acceleration....

I have been through the brakes last night looking for any lose parts because it sounded like a brake chatter but when i had the front passenger wheel up i rotated back and forth and heard clicking in toward the center of the vehicle.

I looked up you tube videos all not and seems like it was similar to a failed guibo but when i looked up the part on line the guibo was not a part that fit the x5 model....so may have entered some wrong stuff

anyone with anything like this issue or know of this and the resolution...

I am a DIY home mechanic and no ive not call the dealership yet, becuase they just say bring it in...and may have too.

Thanks for any and all help and guidance here!
Advertisement
Old 10-08-2015, 08:10 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 x-5
Not to sound funny but did you check the tires for any nails or large rocks wedged btw the treads? That would give you a ticking noise at any speed
Old 10-08-2015, 08:56 AM

Yes all tires checked. But good point actually I thought of that before, but the noise goes away every now and then for instance when you accelerate hard or brake.

Checked the tires when I took them all off to inspect the brakes last night also.

Thanks
Old 10-10-2015, 08:13 PM
Speed changes you!

Mein Auto: 2010 X5 xDrive35d
I had a similar issue with my 2010 a few weeks ago. It ended up being a small air-duct shaped metal plate was loose on the front driver side brake rotor dust shied. the rivets that attached it to the dust shield had come loose and it was hitting the rotor. It would make a click sound with each revolution of the wheel and would sometimes make a grinding noise as speed increased. I was glad to find it because I was convinced it was the start of a bad wheel bearing.
Old 10-12-2015, 08:55 AM

Thanks, succumbed to bringing it to the dealer this weekend. Just could not risk any major issue if I continued to drive it.

It is still under CPO so hopefully they will find it and it will be covered.

Went for a run with the tech foreman and interestingly enough he stated that he's never heard this before...?!

He did state that there was a recall for the drive shaft and they have seen some transfer-case issues $$$$$

No call back from them yet since Friday. We will see.
Old 10-14-2015, 01:32 PM

Followup - Dealer stated drive shaft failure which is under a recall....however apparently in the process of failing it cracked the transmission so that needs to be replaced.

They say it should be covered under the CPO but that they are developing the "story" that caused the failures and root cause.

Have not ordered parts yet... as they are waiting to hear back from BMW corporate for direction.
Old 10-14-2015, 02:56 PM
Freude am Fahren

Mein Auto: X5 50i
Quote:
Originally Posted by FasttrackX5 View Post
... however apparently in the process of failing it cracked the transmission so that needs to be replaced.

This is the first time that someone states that their "transmission was cracked by a drive shaft that was in the "process" of failing"... So the transmission cracked first ??? You need more clarification on that.

All other transmission destruction have occurred AFTER a complete failure of the u-joint attached to the drive shaft, which then causes the drive shaft to "flop" around and hit and destroy the transmission. Could it be that this failure occurred while the dealer was test driving the car again?

You don't want to end up with a "rebuild" transmission, which is what they'll give you under CPO.

This should be covered under the extended warranty: it covers all incidentals related to and involved with the drive shaft failure.

Insist on it. Know your rights! Ask for the drive shaft SIB and warranty bulletin and read for yourself what BMW promises you ... Don't rely on the SA telling you to trust him/her. They'll twist the information in such a way to get a few non-warranty dollars out of this!
BMWCCA #20645

Last edited by PAX5; 10-14-2015 at 02:59 PM.
Old 10-14-2015, 03:42 PM

Thanks, I will be heading over there in person tomorrow to follow up on it and seek these answers out
Old 10-21-2015, 12:29 PM

UPDATE:

Dealer provided full coverage, no out of pocket costs.

Replaced with "new" parts Drive shafts and Transmission under CPO. Specifically asked and was advised that no rebuilt, re manufactured or anything other than new parts were going in.

Parts came in end of last week, reassembly this week I am told.
Old 10-21-2015, 01:43 PM
Freude am Fahren

Quote:
UPDATE:

Dealer provided full coverage, no out of pocket costs.

Replaced with "new" parts Drive shafts and Transmission under CPO. Specifically asked and was advised that no rebuilt, re manufactured or anything other than new parts were going in.

Parts came in end of last week, reassembly this week I am told.
Congratulations!

I wonder why this dealer would repair under CPO ... Others who've had similar drive shaft failures had everything replaced under "extended warranty". CPO was never invoked.

I wonder if BMW's compensation to dealer is different under CPO vs Warranty.

Also, I'm still very skeptical that you are actually getting a brand new transmission.
BMWCCA #20645
Old 10-21-2015, 02:18 PM
Nuclear engineer

Mein Auto: 2012 X5 35d (E70)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Huffman View Post
I called to make an appointment today. There was initial confusion on the part of the call taker who said that my vehicle/VIN was "not part of the recall." I corrected him and we finished the arrangement. He assure me that damages consequent to a failed but satisfactorily inspected drive shaft would be covered.

Is there a quiet recall for some xDrive front propeller shafts?
Quote:
Followup - Dealer stated drive shaft failure which is under a recall....however apparently in the process of failing it cracked the transmission so that needs to be replaced. [ ... ].
Another anecdotal mention of a recall, this one involving a damaged transmission.
Old 10-21-2015, 03:22 PM
Freude am Fahren

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Huffman View Post
Another anecdotal mention of a recall, this one involving a damaged transmission.
Certain 2011MY actually fall under SIB 260114. FasttrackX5 has a 2011 (probably built in 2010) ...

But, AFAIK it's not a "recall" until the NHTSA says so.

Basically: "Manufacturers voluntarily initiate many of these recalls, while others are either influenced by NHTSA investigations or ordered by NHTSA via the courts. If a safety defect is discovered, the manufacturer must notify NHTSA, as well as vehicle or equipment owners, dealers, and distributors."
BMWCCA #20645
Old 10-22-2015, 01:54 PM

Built August/2010 - correct

Picking her up in the morning, $13k in parts.

Warranty deductible charge of $53.50....I'll take that any day of the week!

No warranty issues going forward and all coverage still in place.

Only concern off the top of my head is they have a lengthy list of things done under warranty to the SUV and believe if I go after another and trade this in at a BMW dealer these details will not help my cause, but no to be a pessimist I am overall very pleased with everything.

Bert Smith BMW in St.Petersburg FL hit it out of the park on this one.
Old 10-22-2015, 01:56 PM

For clarity - they were specifically covering everything under the warranty.

Not the CPO program.

Thanks!
Old 10-22-2015, 02:22 PM
Freude am Fahren

Quote:
For clarity - they were specifically covering everything under the warranty.

Not the CPO program.

Thanks!
OK, that makes more sense. Previously you stated that the repair were covered under CPO.

But, why the out of pocket "warranty deductible of $53.50"? It's not the amount, it's the fact that they're charging you.

CPO has a $50 deductible ... but warranty?
BMWCCA #20645

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search