Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E85 / E86 Z4 (2003-2008)

E85 / E86 Z4 (2003-2008)
E85 Z4 Roadster, E86 Z4 Coupe, E85 Z4 M Roadster, and E86 Z4 M Coupe talk with our BMW gurus here.

Old 10-12-2015, 09:51 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 00 323i
Input on 2003 Z4 before purchasing

Hi All

I am an e46 owner, but have come across an 03 Z4 which I am considering to pursue. Since the engines are the M54, I am somewhat familiar with the engine and their needs per se (mostly do to the E46 sub-forum's wiki)

Anyway, the scoop on the vehicle in question: it is an 03 with less than 20k on the clock. Clearly the car was a w/e jaunt and has sat for most of its life. The carfax is clean and shows very little history beyond washes and reregistrations. In '13 the oil, brake, coolant fluids were all changed (by all accounts, 1st time ever). Between last year and this, its had 2 oil changes and 2 alignments from dealership.

Its a 12 year old car which has sat; its been on the lot for 2 months now .... the asking price - just shy of 20K !!!! Book on it is 11.5 at very best. My concerns are other deferred maintenance etc. I live in a fairly arid climate; so what comes to my mind is if the seals/gaskets and bushings are likely to be drying out (??). Another thing which came to mind is that the tires could be original ... ie 12 year old Michelins - which sidewalls could be dry etc.). I do intend to do a PPI but only if its worth my time based upon agreed price. (I am not afraid of as-is deals so long as I know what needs to immediately be done etc and the price is right etc). With car purchases, I tend to do a 'yes or no' lowball as-is subject to inspection deals, just to save time and money (i.e I won't go to the length of PPI's unless the $ makes sense upfront to do so)

So, would you pass for another year etc? Am I forgetting anything to take in account about the Z4's? The only thing which I see to read from time to time is something to do with the steering column. I'd plan to replace water pump and expansion tank as peace of mind precaution.

TIA
Advertisement
Old 10-12-2015, 01:14 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 Z4si
What packages, drive train , etc.? 20k is of course ridiculous. You will have to go through and do some repairs. It's a given when a car sits that long. If the seller agrees to your price and the car has all that you want on it, then maybe a good find. While the 2.5 with auto trans may be a reliable combo, a 3.0 with 6 speed manual is a way tougher find, so could potentially raise the bar a bit and make it worth the time and money investment.

Just as a guide, I paid 20k for an 07 Si 6 speed a year and half ago and the high book was 20. It was what I wanted, so paid the man. If book on this car is 11.5, then I'm guessing he's a bit high.....just a bit. LOL!!
Old 10-12-2015, 01:18 PM

Mein Auto: '06 M Roadster Imola/Blk
They are smoking pot if they think the car is worth 20k.... As you said 11.5k would be a good deal for them. 20k on the clock isn't always a good thing.
Old 10-13-2015, 09:00 AM

Mein Auto: 00 323i
Thanks for your input. It is a 3.0 6-sp which is why I am tempted etc. I don't think it has any packages, tbh didn't pay attention to if it did or not but VIN decode showed no indication. I'm going out on a limb to think and say that I'll have probably have about 2k worth of repairs, which obviously either wrap into a deal or subtract it from my offer. I obviously don't want to purchase a sieve!
Old 10-13-2015, 10:39 AM

Mein Auto: '06 M Roadster Imola/Blk
I would only consider purchase if the price was right and they let you take it to your own mechanic for an evaluation. The 3.0i cars had more options standard. You are better off if it doesn't have navigation. Could be an excellent deal if you buy right.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E85 / E86 Z4 (2003-2008)
Today's Posts Search