Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E85 / E86 Z4 (2003-2008)

E85 / E86 Z4 (2003-2008)
E85 Z4 Roadster, E86 Z4 Coupe, E85 Z4 M Roadster, and E86 Z4 M Coupe talk with our BMW gurus here.

Old 11-21-2013, 08:38 PM
Z4 Mvangelist

Mein Auto: 2003 M5-S2, 2002 540iT-S2
Custom car cover for UBER Z4

My Z4 MC Scatha is, for a while, banished from the garage to make room for my next Art Car. Obviously I would be concerned about wear and tear on her paint. But it turns out that a neighbor of mine recently quit her day job to start a small business of making custom car and boat covers. Serendipity indeed. Her background is broad in the tailoring arts, studying upholstery and coverings under her father as a youth. Fun trivia fact: she sewed a 40'x40' fireproof liner used on one of our space shuttles! Anyway, this project was far less challenging for her.

The material is waterproof boat-shrunk treated cotton canvas, with 100% boned, treated #12 cotton thread. This combination is non-scratching, waterproof and breathable.

It is quite thick and heavy compared to the lightweight POS covers you can buy at the corner store. As such there is no elastic. Janet says that elastic tends to break down quickly in an outdoor environment and instead tailors her covers for a snug fit. The cotton canvas is very tough and will last many years with proper treatment. I would dare say you could throw pocket change at the cover and the car would not be damaged.

As is my habit, pictures...

First she measured the car and made the basic cover. Then brought it over for tailoring:

Two days later it was ready to use. Unrolling:

Covering:

Note that I asked her to make two reinforced button holes for the two tow hooks Scatha always has installed. Normal covers wouldn't bother with those.

Removal is very easy, just a reverse of installation. Rolled up it looks like this:

Complete with carry bag:

Dropped in the trunk:

I'm quite happy with the product. I told Janet that if other Z's are interested she could use mine to make a pattern for tailoring out-of-state cars' covers. If any of you want to contact her, here is her email: janetgonzalez54@att.net

Note: I have no affiliation with the tailor beyond being a customer and neighbor.
Old 11-22-2013, 03:29 AM

Mein Auto: 01 Mc, 08 M3, Motorrad x2
Supercool! Love the in-process pictures.

14 S1000R | 09 F650GS | 08 E90 M3 | 06 M Coupe | 01 M coupe
Old 11-22-2013, 03:35 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 Z4 35i
If you are going to cover up a beautiful car like that, a customized car cover seems appropriate. Very nice and thanks for sharing.

Our family's Bimmers - 3 e89's (one turned in), e90 - 335d and e46 - 325i

Old 11-22-2013, 07:17 AM
Z ENTHUSIAST

Mein Auto: 06 3.0 si Z4R
Sweet
Old 11-22-2013, 09:20 AM
Hat's On, Tops Down!

Mein Auto: 2008 Z4MR
You always come up with the coolest ways of doing things. I ordered one of those Italian covers, but have never heard about making payment, might have to look ath this instead. But I sure would love to have ///M on the hood.

2008 Z4M Roadster
BMWCCA/ZSCCA Member
Old 11-22-2013, 04:34 PM
Z4 Mvangelist

Mein Auto: 2003 M5-S2, 2002 540iT-S2
Quote:
Originally Posted by STIHLBOLTS View Post
You always come up with the coolest ways of doing things. I ordered one of those Italian covers, but have never heard about making payment, might have to look ath this instead. But I sure would love to have ///M on the hood.
-Email her about it. I know she's done custom embroidery type stuff on past projects.