Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E85 / E86 Z4 (2003-2008)

E85 / E86 Z4 (2003-2008)
E85 Z4 Roadster, E86 Z4 Coupe, E85 Z4 M Roadster, and E86 Z4 M Coupe talk with our BMW gurus here.

Old 11-27-2012, 06:36 PM
(prev. SD335is & SDZ4MR)

Mein Auto: '06 Z4 MR | '11 335is E92
Do any Z3/E85 Z4/E89 Z4 have a locking glove box?

A DIY repair posted in the E9x forum on Bimmerfest regarding the E93 glove box lock got me thinking. When you lock an E93, not only is the trunk release and central lock/unlock buttons electronically disabled, like my 2006 E85, but the glove box release is also electronically disabled to keep anyone from accessing the glove box. The E93 glove box door has horizontal steel pins rather than a simple latch found on the E90, E91, and E92, and appears to be similar to the horizontal steel pins on an E85 glove box door.

Does any year/model of the Z3 have a locking glove box? How about earlier (pre-2006) or later (post-2006) E85s? I assume that the E89 Z4s have a locking glove box, since they were designed around the same time as the E93, can anyone confirm this? Has anyone actually added a lock mechanism to an E85?
Hers: 2011 335is Coupe (E92) | Le Mans Blue Metallic | Black Dakota Leather | Dark Glacier Aluminum | 6MT | ED 5/12/11
Also Mine: (On Order) 2016 M4 (F82) | Sakhir Orange Metallic | Black Full Merino Leather | CF Trim | M DCT | Adaptive M Suspension | 19" Black Alloy Wheels | ZEC | ZLP | ZDB | ED 5/13/16

Advertisement
Old 11-28-2012, 06:11 AM
M Mad

Mein Auto: M Roadster/M3
Z3 glovebox locks, but it only locks the glove box, not attached to anything else. Simple mechanical lock and release.

'95 Alpine M3 LTW
'00 Dakar M Roadster
'02 Topaz M3
Red/White SRF #4 (Chassis 561)
Old 11-28-2012, 06:15 AM
Underway on Nuclear Power

Mein Auto: Me
Yes, the MY 03-05 E85 has a locking glove box.
Furthermore, does legality establish morality?
Slavery was legal; apartheid was legal; Stalinist, Nazi, and Maoist purges were legal. Clearly, the fact of legality does not justify these crimes. Legality, alone, cannot be the talisman of morel people. - Walter E. Williams
Old 11-28-2012, 07:25 AM
(prev. SD335is & SDZ4MR)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipkiller View Post
Yes, the MY 03-05 E85 has a locking glove box.

Thanks. Odd that BMW would remove the lock in later years. I would think that a locking glove box in a convertible was a no-brainer. But then again, my S2000 didn't even have a glove box, only the between-the-seats storage console similar to the Z4.
Hers: 2011 335is Coupe (E92) | Le Mans Blue Metallic | Black Dakota Leather | Dark Glacier Aluminum | 6MT | ED 5/12/11
Also Mine: (On Order) 2016 M4 (F82) | Sakhir Orange Metallic | Black Full Merino Leather | CF Trim | M DCT | Adaptive M Suspension | 19" Black Alloy Wheels | ZEC | ZLP | ZDB | ED 5/13/16

Old 11-28-2012, 07:49 AM

When you lock the car, the glove box and storage box (between the seats) locks and cannot be opened unless you have the key. Even if the top was down and you reach in an press the unlock button, they will stay locked. So do the doors...
Slavery was legal; apartheid was legal; Stalinist, Nazi, and Maoist purges were legal. Clearly, the fact of legality does not justify these crimes. Legality, alone, cannot be the talisman of morel people. - Walter E. Williams
Old 11-28-2012, 08:07 AM
(prev. SD335is & SDZ4MR)

Quote:
When you lock the car, the glove box and storage box (between the seats) locks and cannot be opened unless you have the key. Even if the top was down and you reach in an press the unlock button, they will stay locked. So do the doors...
Yes, I discovered that shortly after buying my car when I locked my keys in the trunk! But my glove box doesn't lock when the car is locked. Is it supposed to? I looked in the manual and there is no mention of this. Or is this only in the 03-05 Z4?

Old 11-28-2012, 10:14 AM

yes and no. You have to pull a wire from a connector on the general module.

when I get home from work, I will post it up. I did this to my wife's Roadster. Works like a charm and I forgot I did the wire thing...
Old 11-29-2012, 04:15 PM
(prev. SD335is & SDZ4MR)

Quote:
yes and no. You have to pull a wire from a connector on the general module.

when I get home from work, I will post it up. I did this to my wife's Roadster. Works like a charm and I forgot I did the wire thing...
Reminder?

Old 11-29-2012, 04:25 PM

Sorry, got kinda busy at work.

This is only for the center storage compartment. This is an official BMW procedure.
-------------------------------------------------------------
Storage Compartment is Unlocked With Central Lock Button

MODEL
E85(Z4)

SITUATION
Customer complains that after locking the vehicle with the remote key, with the convertible top down, and then reaching in and pressing the central lock button, the storage compartment is unlocked.

CAUSE
The storage compartment is locked via the double lock signal.

PROCEDURE

1. Gain access to the general Module behind the glove box.

2. Disconnect the GM 54-pin black connector X253.

3. Remove the (SW) black wire from pin location 14 and install in empty pin location 52.

4. Recheck the function of the central locking system.

5. The storage compartment will always be locked whenever the vehicle is locked.

This modification takes approximately 20 minutes.

Note: After the modification is complete the customer should be made aware that while driving and the central lock button is pressed, the storage compartment will be locked. Pressing the central lock button again unlocks the storage compartment.

WARRENTY INFORMATION
This is not covered under warrenty.
Old 11-30-2012, 08:11 AM
Hat's On, Tops Down!

Mein Auto: 2013 335is
Sounds like a new project. Because mine does not currently lock, but I have always put anything of real value in the trunk if I left the top down when parked outside a place that I just ran into.

2013 335is Convertible
MODS:M3 Strut Brace / Smart Top Module / More to come
BMWCCA Member
Old 10-12-2015, 11:45 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2006 Z4 3.0si
glove box locking feature; yea or nay

Sorry to ressurrect this thread, but this is as close of an answer as I have come. I have an 06 3.0si roadster. Does my glove box have a locking feature (thus it would be broken or mis-programmed) or not? Thanks

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E85 / E86 Z4 (2003-2008)
Today's Posts Search