Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E85 / E86 Z4 (2003-2008)

E85 / E86 Z4 (2003-2008)
E85 Z4 convertible and E86 Z4 coupe talk with our BMW gurus here.

Old 06-29-2007, 02:49 PM
Z4 Mvangelist

Mein Auto: 2003 M5-S2, 2002 540iT-S2
Update
Two more pics of the exhaust:

Mod 34
6-29-07
I removed my visor airbag decals. Contrary to what was posted in another bimmerfest thread, I did NOT use the blow dryer and spatula method. On the advice of my doctor (the master Tyrone) I tryied Goof Off. This stuff is the BOMB! It quickly disolved the binding agent of the sticker and then it simply peeled/fell of the visors. Best of all Good Off, being a liquid, gets into the cracks in the vinyl visor and wipes out the residue the sticker leaves behind. So far I've removed the stickers from my M5 (leather), Z4 MC (vinyl) and our 540iT (fabric) visors. I tried the heat/spatula/blade method on my M5's passenger-side visor and after 30 minutes of heating and scraping I was left with less than ideal results. I tried Goof Off on the driver's side visor and was done in less than 5 minutes with perfectly clean leather. I should mention that after Goof Off I moisturized the visors with their repsective treatment products. For leather I use Lexol Leather Conditioner, for vinyl I use Lexol Vinyl Treatment, for the fabric (or carpet) I use Lifter 1.

Z4 visor, before:

After:

p.s. I took some in-car video today. With luck I'll be able to edit and post it tonight...(still need exterior video)

Last edited by Palantirion; 06-29-2007 at 02:54 PM.
Old 06-29-2007, 09:24 PM
Z4 Mvangelist

Ok, I got the vids done. These are dumbed-down versions, but still better than YouTube quality.

The first one is in-car and shows various speeds and throttle loads.
Notes: There are some high-pitched rattles. That is my camera mount, NOT the exhaust or car! Toward the end of the vid I discovered quite suddenly that there is a significant dip in road. I wasn't quite completely airborn, but all four wheels got really light Anyway, the squeak you hear is my driver's side rear tire rubbing at impact. No damage was done.
In-car vid

The second vid I subtitled. If there are any questions, don't hesitate to ask.
Outside vid

p.s. I almost forgot to mention...the sound of these vids will vary A LOT, depending on what speakers you are playing them through. On my PC, there is way more bass during playback than in reality. On my laptop it's the exact opposite. So please don't take these vids as scripture, just a ballpark concept.

Last edited by Palantirion; 06-29-2007 at 09:36 PM.
Old 06-30-2007, 05:21 PM

Mein Auto: 08 E90 M3
Hi Guys,

I met up with Palantirion and checked out his exhaust system. I have to say that this system is really something special. Just by looking at the 4 massive exhaust tips you can tell that this system is going to put a smile on your face.

Surprisingly though, there is absolutely NO DRONE WHATSOEVER. We tried cruising in every gear and the system is loud when it needs to be and mild when cruising. Furthermore, the exhaust note is a delight, very growly and bassy without any tinniess. Credit this to a well chosen resonator section and well built x-pipe.

Definitely a thumbs up in my book. Quality, sound, driveability and looks all get an A+!

Steve
Old 07-01-2007, 06:04 AM
My kine-a town.

Mein Auto: 335i, E350 Estate, F430
How soon will the exhaust be reproducible? Price and availability?

What's the status on that Injen intake?
Old 07-01-2007, 09:12 AM
///M

Mein Auto: 07 M Coupe
Sounds great man...I'll add it to my to do mod list...

07 ///M Coupe (Premium Package) Black Saphire Ext. Imola Red Int.

Best Website in the History of the Internet!
Old 07-02-2007, 02:02 PM
Z4 Mvangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luminor View Post
How soon will the exhaust be reproducible? Price and availability?

What's the status on that Injen intake?
-I have no idea what the status for the Injen intake is, Bimmerforums has been offline for several days so I haven't been able to bug the owner of the prototype.

I spoke with Chris about pricing for the BMS exhaust. Bear in mind the production version has not been jigged so these number might fluctuate up or down when all is said and done. As I've mentioned, it's a 3-stage modular system. The mufflers will be about $1,500, the cat-delete resonator and the x-pipe sections will probably run about $750 each. But like I said, those numbers may change. I have called Jose about a time estimate, but he was out. My guess is that the production exhaust will be ready in 4-6 weeks, but again that's MY guess.

p.s. Autowave's dyno has broken and it will be at least a week before I can dyno the Coupe with the exhaust
Old 07-03-2007, 11:39 AM

Mein Auto: JB E90 M3 M-DCT
I just ordered one of the e46 M3 Injen intakes. It will fit fine. The only difference is that the Mz4 has a vacuum line in the intake tube, and the E46 M3 has it off the intake manifold. That port on the intake manifold exists on the MZ4, it's just got a plastic plug in it. (not sure why) The good news is that the Intake manifolds (for the non SMG E46 M3 and MZ4) are the same.

I will just hook the vacuum line from the intake tube back to the manifold and we should be good to go. (since both are upstream of the throttle, you should get the same vacuum at either)

Not sure why they moved it.

This is the MZ4 part. Notice part 3 which connects to the fuel system.

This is the E46 M3. The assembly is different but connects to the same places (fuel rail and brake booster) Part 3 is a similar but slightly different part number (Because of the different hoses)

If I wanted to do this really nicely, I'd just order the e46 M3 part, and get the factory hose and hose connector. I should probably do that.

03 AIR SHUT-OFF VALVE 1 11617833212 $77.00 (according to Realoem)

Hm, it's pretty cheap, if the intake works out, I'll order one.

Anyhow, the heatshield from the E46 won't work, so I'll probably try running without it at first and making my own later, as well.

Hopefully I should have the intake today, and I'll post impressions and try to get the car dyno'd.
Old 07-03-2007, 11:43 AM

BTW, I ordered mine from http://www.ultrarev.com who has the silver and the black ones. (I got black)

http://www.ultrarev.com/product.php?productid=47070#

It shows up at $290.72
Old 07-03-2007, 12:10 PM
My kine-a town.

Holy Crap...that RealOEM.com site is fantastic...! Sorry if you've all seen it before and its old news but thats the first time I've stumbled across it.

What does the heat shield look like on that thing? Its not pictured on the site...

Last edited by Luminor; 07-03-2007 at 12:17 PM.
Old 07-03-2007, 01:31 PM
Z4 Mvangelist

One of my lingering reservations about Injen's CAI is the reduction in diameter at the MAF sensor. While this was shown to be beneficial on their dynos, it obviously restricts airflow past a certain point. I suspect that the reduction is necessary because their product is designed to run without any software mods. This would also match the fact that the intake lost HP vs stock in the higher rpm range.

Since I am planning to add Dinan throttle bodies and CAI (and maybe some other internal work later) I don't want a CAI that chokes my S54 or reacts badly with Dinan software. So I think my current plan is to have BMS custom fab an intake based on a Dinan E46 filter (much, much larger than the one Injen uses). This will be matched with Dinan E46 software. There shouldn't be any conflicts, and as always I will keep everyone informed.

The car goes back for exhaust jigging in two weeks, and work on the intake may start as early as next week. In the meantime I actually get to DRIVE it!

Last edited by Palantirion; 07-03-2007 at 01:33 PM.
Old 07-03-2007, 02:10 PM
My kine-a town.

Pal, you're killing me. I need some parts NOW!

Your posts of all the great custom work that will eventually trickle down to us is great, but it does nothing for my instant gratification issues...

Any word when Dinan is going to put out some software for our cars...it can't be that far off the current E46 offering...same for the throttle bodies, intake, cams, SUPERCHARGER, etc...

Also anyone heard of a titanium exhaust coming out for the M Coupe? I'm considering this rig from BMS, but would go with a blued tip ti option if available anytime soon.
Old 07-03-2007, 06:42 PM
Z4 Mvangelist

Quote:
Pal, you're killing me. I need some parts NOW!

Your posts of all the great custom work that will eventually trickle down to us is great, but it does nothing for my instant gratification issues...
-The world's smallest violin plays for thee. Hey, at least you get to DRIVE your car while all this is going on. I lose mine for weeks at a a time! And btw, remember that you CAN buy the BMS battery bracket kit now and cut 35lbs from your car. It's the cheapest weight reduction I can think of. And I've had mine run down to stone-cold-dead when it was in the shop for a few weeks not being driven - three times now. After a 15 minute drive the battery seems good as new and so far has shown no symptoms of losing its charge. I'm honestly surprised

Quote:
Any word when Dinan is going to put out some software for our cars...it can't be that far off the current E46 offering...same for the throttle bodies, intake, cams, SUPERCHARGER, etc...
-From what I've heard Dinan isn't in anything close to a hurry to make anything for the Z4 Ms. There are too few of them to sell parts to and Dinan seems to be leaning more toward high-ticket items like their 600+hp V10 for the M5/M6.

Remember, it's very possible that Dinan's E46 software will work on the Z4 Ms. Give me a few weeks as guinea pig and I'll probably know conclusively.

Quote:
Also anyone heard of a titanium exhaust coming out for the M Coupe? I'm considering this rig from BMS, but would go with a blued tip ti option if available anytime soon.
-I know of no exhausts for the Z4 Ms except SS, Remus (or am I wrong?) and BMS. None have a Ti-tip option that I am aware of. But Chris might be able to work something out with you since every BMS exhaust is built to order.
Old 07-03-2007, 06:51 PM
My kine-a town.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palantirion View Post
-And btw, remember that you CAN buy the BMS battery bracket kit now and cut 35lbs from your car. It's the cheapest weight reduction I can think of. And I've had mine run down to stone-cold-dead when it was in the shop for a few weeks not being driven - three times now. After a 15 minute drive the battery seems good as new and so far has shown no symptoms of losing its charge. I'm honestly surprised

-From what I've heard Dinan isn't in anything close to a hurry to make anything for the Z4 Ms. There are too few of them to sell parts to and Dinan seems to be leaning more toward high-ticket items like their 600+hp V10 for the M5/M6.

Remember, it's very possible that Dinan's E46 software will work on the Z4 Ms. Give me a few weeks as guinea pig and I'll probably know conclusively.

-I know of no exhausts for the Z4 Ms except SS, Remus (or am I wrong?) and BMS. None have a Ti-tip option that I am aware of. But Chris might be able to work something out with you since every BMS exhaust is built to order.
Spoke with the guys at BMS yesterday about the bracket. Its on my list of things to get soon. Did you guys have a chance to weigh the new exhaust yet? I'd be interested to know. 30lbs here and there adds up quickly.

BTW, do you know what the stock wheels weigh with the Contis from the factory?

I got the same impression when I talked to the folks at Dinan. I understand the low production numbers aren't real interesting to them but you would think they'd need to invest very minimal time to port the products over.

Last edited by Luminor; 07-03-2007 at 07:02 PM.
Old 07-03-2007, 07:01 PM
Z4 Mvangelist

Quote:
Spoke with the guys at BMS yesterday about the braket. Its on my list of things to get soon. Did you guys have a chance to weigh the new exhaust yet? I'd be interested to know. 30lbs here and there adds up quickly.

BTW, do you know what the stock wheels weigh with the Contis from the factory?

I got the same impression when I talked to the folks at Dinan. I understand the low production numbers aren't real interesting to them but you would think they'd need to invest very minimal time to port the products over.
-Regarding the exhaust, I'm sure it will be somewhere in the 30-40lb range of weight loss. Jose's "32lb" estimate came from weighing my OEM exhaust pieces and comparing the result to the components he used to make the BMS exhaust - except that he didn't have another resonator so he estimated that part. We'll know for sure after I take it in on the 16th. That's when the jigging process will start.

I checked my records for wheel weights. The best I can come up with on short notice is something I grabbed from someone else's post:
Quote:
MZ4 stock rims + stock Continential ContiSport tires
18x8 ET42, 225/45/18
18x9 ET 30, 255/40/18
Front: 52 lbs
Rear: 56 lbs
You can find the tire weights online and subtract to get the wheel weights.
Old 07-03-2007, 07:36 PM

Quote:
One of my lingering reservations about Injen's CAI is the reduction in diameter at the MAF sensor. While this was shown to be beneficial on their dynos, it obviously restricts airflow past a certain point. I suspect that the reduction is necessary because their product is designed to run without any software mods. This would also match the fact that the intake lost HP vs stock in the higher rpm range.

Since I am planning to add Dinan throttle bodies and CAI (and maybe some other internal work later) I don't want a CAI that chokes my S54 or reacts badly with Dinan software. So I think my current plan is to have BMS custom fab an intake based on a Dinan E46 filter (much, much larger than the one Injen uses). This will be matched with Dinan E46 software. There shouldn't be any conflicts, and as always I will keep everyone informed.

The car goes back for exhaust jigging in two weeks, and work on the intake may start as early as next week. In the meantime I actually get to DRIVE it!

The way a MAF works is that the sensor must be inside a tube of a given diameter for it to accurately meter air. The size reduction is necessary to make the MAF accurate. If you're getting custom software done, this restriction is obviously not there, but I really highly doubt that this would be much of a flow restriction. That said, really interested to see what Dinan comes up with! Although, the throttle bodies are not really a restriction, you'd find a lot more power in a custom intake manifold, I suspect.

And, darn. No intake when I got home.
Old 07-03-2007, 07:50 PM

Mein Auto: MKVGolf,R6,MCoupe,325Tour
Quote:
Ok, I got the vids done. These are dumbed-down versions, but still better than YouTube quality.

The first one is in-car and shows various speeds and throttle loads.
Notes: There are some high-pitched rattles. That is my camera mount, NOT the exhaust or car! Toward the end of the vid I discovered quite suddenly that there is a significant dip in road. I wasn't quite completely airborn, but all four wheels got really light Anyway, the squeak you hear is my driver's side rear tire rubbing at impact. No damage was done.
In-car vid

The second vid I subtitled. If there are any questions, don't hesitate to ask.
Outside vid

p.s. I almost forgot to mention...the sound of these vids will vary A LOT, depending on what speakers you are playing them through. On my PC, there is way more bass during playback than in reality. On my laptop it's the exact opposite. So please don't take these vids as scripture, just a ballpark concept.
It's kinda hard to tell, but your system sounds louder than my SS Race and X-pipe.

Not to threadjack, but for comparison sake, here is my vid:
http://s24.photobucket.com/albums/c1...rent=SSRac.flv

Eisenmann, Hamann and AC Schnitzer also make an exhaust for the M Coupe, but I've never heard of anyone with one.
Old 07-04-2007, 04:18 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2006 Z4MC #LL93158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaseme View Post
It's kinda hard to tell, but your system sounds louder than my SS Race and X-pipe.

Eisenmann, Hamann and AC Schnitzer also make an exhaust for the M Coupe, but I've never heard of anyone with one.
I think its just the resonation caused by the surrounding warehouses in Palantirion's video. BTW, thanks guys for the excellent footage. The prototype system sounds very much like the SS Race imo.

BTW - saw the Eisenmann Sport on a Z4MC at Mosport International on Monday - looked good, sound only marginally better then OE.
Old 07-04-2007, 01:09 PM
Z4 Mvangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaseme View Post

-The SS Race sounds similar to the BMS exhaust, but with a more hollow tone and it's a little tinnier in the higher rpms. Of course, it sucks just compaing vids

As far as I know, Eisenmann, Hamann and ACS do make cans, but I don't consider those to really be exhaust. There is a HUGE difference between designing a system tuned for a specific car and just slapping a pair of mufflers on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caddyshk View Post
I think its just the resonation caused by the surrounding warehouses in Palantirion's video.
-The resonance did get bounced off the buildings a bit, although I suppose one might want to consider that if you drive around a lot of buildings. After driving the car for a week I'm noticing that the exhaust can be very loud, OR nearly stock quiet - just depending on how you drive the car. If you keep the rpm very low (1500-2100rpm) and open the throttle a lot (say 40mph in 6th gear + more than 1/2 throttle) the bass will be substantial. The same speed in 4th or 5th gear will be much quieter for two reasons: 1) The gear moves the engine out of the small "bass zone" of the exhuast. And 2) You don't need as much throttle to maintain speed in the slightly lower gear, so you don't open the throttle as much, so it makes less noise. I hold 4th gear a little longer on city streets before shifting to 6th, or cruise in 5th sometimes. On the freeway there's no bass since even 6th gear is out of the "bass zone" after 45mph or so. It's interesting to me how with a still-stock airbox the sound generated by the car is so throttle-dependant. Anyway, ramble over, time to go to a 4th of July bbq...
Old 07-04-2007, 09:28 PM

Mein Auto: Z
I am inspired That sounds so nice!
Old 07-06-2007, 06:04 PM
Z4 Mvangelist

Update
Last weekend Steve brought his still-stock MC over to check out the BMS exhaust and so I could video the two back-to-back. Btw, his Sapphire Black Coupe was STUNNING!!! It was the cleanest black car I've ever seen!

Here's a pic:

Here's the vid

And here are some pics I took over near my brother's place:

Old 07-06-2007, 06:13 PM
Z4 Mvangelist

Here are some pics my friend gbogh from m5board.com took of my M5 and MC over the last year at various meets and at Willow Springs.

Pics of my Coupe at the Valley of Fire outside Las Vegas:

Here are some pics of my M5 at an m5board group run between OC and SD:

And pics of the Coupe at Willow:

The Coupe next to gbogh's M5 in the Willow paddock:

Thanks for the pics Gavin!
Old 07-19-2007, 12:20 PM
Z4 Mvangelist

Update
Been very, very busy the last week and a half. I'll elaborate soon. In the mean time, enjoy:
Old 07-19-2007, 12:33 PM
Banned

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Update
Been very, very busy the last week and a half. I'll elaborate soon. In the mean time, enjoy:

Old 07-19-2007, 01:22 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 M Coupe
Quote:
Update
Been very, very busy the last 20Publication/Misc%20Scatha/LOL.G]
Mind explaining a little more? Crazy

Maeve
Old 07-19-2007, 05:27 PM
TMS

Mein Auto: BMW
Quote:
Update

Ahem!