Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E85 / E86 Z4 (2003-2008)

E85 / E86 Z4 (2003-2008)
E85 Z4 Roadster, E86 Z4 Coupe, E85 Z4 M Roadster, and E86 Z4 M Coupe talk with our BMW gurus here.

Old 09-19-2007, 12:01 AM
Z4 Mvangelist

Mein Auto: 2003 M5-S2, 2002 540iT-S2
Update
Here is the only clean lap I got on video last Friday: CLICK HERE

It's a 1:32.66, which I'm happy with being my first time at Streets and all. Also, that lap was done with 7/8 of a tank of gas. Earlier I was running much faster with a 1/4 tank, but didn't correctly press play on my camera

Here are two pics a friend took for me. Thanks Shawn
Braking for turn 1:

Trail-braking into turn 1:
Old 09-19-2007, 05:40 AM
My kine-a town.

Mein Auto: 335i, E350 Estate, F430
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palantirion View Post
...that's why mine's on RS-GTs.
I guess I could've just looked at your sig...
Old 09-19-2007, 07:10 AM
Vivan los Bimmers!

Mein Auto: 06 Z4 M Coupe, 91 318is
Quote:
Could you talk or describe your camera setup?
How is it attached?
Old 09-19-2007, 04:18 PM
Z4 Mvangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by rimblas View Post
Could you talk or describe your camera setup?
How is it attached?
www.stickypod.com
It's a very good product. Sticks like mad (I've had it up to 145mph repeatedly) and isn't expensive.

The camera is a Casio EX-Z750. I like it because it's not a Sony...and because it can take video with no buffer - so I can record a whole run session at a time (when I don't forget to press record ).

Btw, here's one more pic from Shawn:

(The Coupe needs sway bars! Which should be arriving very soon)
Old 09-19-2007, 05:31 PM
Vivan los Bimmers!

Mein Auto: 06 Z4 M Coupe, 91 318is
Quote:
www.stickypod.com
It's a very good product. Sticks like mad (I've had it up to 145mph repeatedly) and isn't expensive.
Very cool!

Did you try attaching it anywhere on the inside. I would think it will not work on the dashboard because it's porous, right?
Would it fit on one of the side windows?
Old 09-19-2007, 05:46 PM
19,585 Miles

Mein Auto: Z4 M Coupe 6LL93033
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom @ eas View Post
The 2nd Video inputs and Camera install kits are now in stock, we'll have them placed on the website in a couple of days. Feel free to contact me with any questions you have.
Do you have links? Can't seem to find them at the site.
Old 09-19-2007, 06:06 PM
TMS

Mein Auto: BMW
Quote:
Very cool!

Did you try attaching it anywhere on the inside. I would think it will not work on the dashboard because it's porous, right?
I don't think I'd want anything inside the cabin that might come loose and go flying around.
Old 09-19-2007, 07:07 PM
Z4 Mvangelist

Quote:
Very cool!

-It works fine on glass. On my M5 I mount it to the underside of the moonroof and tether it to a rear window for stability. But that was with my (relatively) big Sony handycam. With the Casio I don't need a tether since it's so light.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff View Post
I don't think I'd want anything inside the cabin that might come loose and go flying around.
-A valid point! Although from my experience I would wager that the stickypod would break the glass before it would lose section during an impact. You have to be careful to pry up the suction cups one at a time to avoid pulling up your sheetmetal! And there's always tethers.
Old 09-20-2007, 07:28 PM
Z4 Mvangelist

Update
Today I installed Dinan's supplemental strut bars. They look really good next to the BMW strut bar. And they are back-cut slightly so they will break in an accident instead of hurting the car. Installation was an easy 10 minute DIY.

I also took some new shots to the FINAL BMS exhaust! Hurray - no more jigging! Anyway, the very last thing needed is BMS's logo etched on the tips, which should be done early next week. So as far as I know, you can order the Stage 1 (mufflers) and Stage 2 (x-pipe) now!

Jose weighed the BMW and BMS parts. The mufflers cut 18lbs, and the x-pipe cuts 3lbs relative to stock.

Old 09-20-2007, 09:44 PM
///M

Mein Auto: 07 M Coupe
I don't think anyone should get it for weight savings. If anything you want weight down low. I'd still get it cuz it looks and sounds hot tho

07 ///M Coupe (Premium Package) Black Saphire Ext. Imola Red Int.

Best Website in the History of the Internet!
Old 09-24-2007, 04:41 PM
Z4 Mvangelist

Update
I'm back from Spring Mountain. I'm currently going over track footage and pics. They will be posted on THIS thread (due to the Bimmerfest limitation on pics per post) very soon. In short: It was a great weekend, tough track though.
Old 09-24-2007, 05:41 PM
19,585 Miles

Mein Auto: Z4 M Coupe 6LL93033
Quote:
Update
I'm back from Spring Mountain. I'm currently going over track footage and pics. They will be posted on THIS thread (due to the Bimmerfest limitation on pics per post) very soon. In short: It was a great weekend, tough track though.
You can do 16 pics per post.
Old 09-24-2007, 11:32 PM
Banned

Mein Auto: 3.0 E46, 3.2 E86
Quote:
Update
Nice meeting you and hanging out on Saturday, Earl. That was fun, eh?

I'll look forward to seeing the footage from the event. You've got my email, so if you get a chance, shoot those pics over my way...

See you in a couple weeks at the next event!
Old 09-24-2007, 11:58 PM
tire consumer

Mein Auto: 99 z3c
any chance of plugging a mic in and snaking it into the cockpit so we hear engine more than wind?

(great video though, especially for low-res.)
Old 09-25-2007, 01:27 AM
LOOCH CREW

Send a message via AIM to Alvizzo913 Send a message via MSN to Alvizzo913
Mein Auto: Sector 9
Wow. What a thread. Definitely one of the best threads I've ever read. I've enjoyed reading up on all the progress and can't wait to see what's next. Congrats on everything you've done, car looks incredible and the performance results speak for themselves.
Old 09-25-2007, 01:37 AM
Z4 Mvangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Stygar View Post
You can do 16 pics per post.
-I have a lot more than 16 to post!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bim Growl View Post
Nice meeting you and hanging out on Saturday, Earl. That was fun, eh?

I'll look forward to seeing the footage from the event. You've got my email, so if you get a chance, shoot those pics over my way...

See you in a couple weeks at the next event!
-Likewise. Looking through the pics I've taken I'll probably have to burn you a CD. I also bought hi-res photos on CD from the pro track photographer. He's going to send me a few of your Z4 too, so I'll include them on the CD. Until then, enjoy the low-res ones I'll be posting before I heard off to Buttonwillow on Thursday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyish View Post
any chance of plugging a mic in and snaking it into the cockpit so we hear engine more than wind?

(great video though, especially for low-res.)
-Yes. But not soon. I'm planning on installing a Chase Cam or equivalent, but it's down the to-do list a few spots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alvizzo913 View Post
Wow. What a thread. Definitely one of the best threads I've ever read. I've enjoyed reading up on all the progress and can't wait to see what's next. Congrats on everything you've done, car looks incredible and the performance results speak for themselves.
-Thank man! Stay tuned for more...

Last edited by Palantirion; 09-25-2007 at 01:45 AM.
Old 09-25-2007, 02:37 PM
Z4 Mvangelist

Here is the link to the bulk of the pictures:
http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/sho...=1#post1140330

Here's my favorite from the weekend:

Here is a short vid shot by Bim Growl of my Coupe going through Turn 2:
http://ebsart.com/images/Net%20Publi...ain-WinPor.wmv

Here is my onboard video of my 3:15.58 lap:
http://ebsart.com/images/Net%20Publi...ntain-10Mb.wmv

I don't think this was my fastest lap of the weekend, but it was pretty well representational of the Coupe's performance when driven by a less-than-perfect driver. And speaking of drivers, Bim Growl was pretty damn good. From my observations he was deep into the 3:19s - on stock Contis! He was actually as fast as the guy who brought the Ariel Atom! Seriously. I watched them for three or four laps and the gap between them was constant. The Atom was waaaaay faster in the straights, but from talking to the driver later it seems that the Atom (like the Elise) suffers in certain turns from having such a high rear weight bias. Again, for all the pics...go HERE.

BMS adjusted the Coupe's ride height again before I left on Friday. The current configuration doesn't rub at all, even on low shock settings. Measuring from wheel center to the fender cutout the front is 345mm and the rear is 352mm.
Old 09-25-2007, 05:57 PM
Banned

Mein Auto: Z4M
Update on TCK front struts:

Well, unfortunately, there hasn't been much news. :P TCK has sold 2 sets of coilivers with the new Koni struts but most likely neither of those 2 owners has had the kit installed on their Z4M's yet.

Pete's shipping out the whole front assemblies to me tomorrow, pre-assembled. So basically, I'll be the guinea pig. They won't be here until next Monday and I'll try to get ONE-side installed next week, drive around, and report back. If there's no noise, I'll have the other side and the rear set-up installed. If there's noise, I'm done with the TCK kit and will ask for my money back (they already gave me this option and have left it on the table for the last 7 months).
Old 09-25-2007, 06:25 PM
matching revs in

Mein Auto: Z4 M Coupe
Quote:
Um, YEAH!

What are your impressions on the track?
Old 09-25-2007, 08:28 PM
Z4 Mvangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP20 View Post

Well, unfortunately, there hasn't been much news. :P TCK has sold 2 sets of coilivers with the new Koni struts but most likely neither of those 2 owners has had the kit installed on their Z4M's yet.

Pete's shipping out the whole front assemblies to me tomorrow, pre-assembled. So basically, I'll be the guinea pig. They won't be here until next Monday and I'll try to get ONE-side installed next week, drive around, and report back. If there's no noise, I'll have the other side and the rear set-up installed. If there's noise, I'm done with the TCK kit and will ask for my money back (they already gave me this option and have left it on the table for the last 7 months).
-Good luck man! And keep us posted. I myself have recently be burned with regard to a TCK product. BMS, on my behalf, ordered a CF roof panel for my Coupe almost a month ago. It was supposed to have been shipped around the 20th. So I called to find out when it will arrive when I got back home on the 23rd only to be told that it hasn't been produced and won't be anytime soon WTF I thought?!?!?! I made lots of calls and as it turns out, the supplier has not been very good at making the roof blemish-free. So if I wanted to paint the roof I could have one now. But since the whole point in my buying the roof is for the visual appeal and how it ties in to my BMS CSL license plate, that's not an option. So I won't have it on the car at Cal Speedway - which REALLY sucks because BMS is going to be a sponsor there and my Coupe is going to be in their display between run sessions. That would have been great PR for TCK too So, I don't know when I'll get it. I do know that Pete and TC are working like mad to get the supplier's problems resolved as obviously the delays are costing them $ too.

Oh, and speaking of money, I forgot to mention that BMS is running a special until the end of October: 10% off everything! That's parts, labor, service - EVERYTHING! That includes Dinan, BMW, Mini, wheels, tires, shocks, alignments, lighting - ANYTHING that you want, whether it's in-stock or not, whether it's local or shipped! Sounds like a good deal to me, and as you know I've always been happy with them, so I thought I'd pass it on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast6 View Post
Um, YEAH!

What are your impressions on the track?
-Sorry, I forgot to post the track map:

In general, I'd say it's a VERY technical, busy track. There's little chance to rest or think between turns - similar to Streets of Willow but over twice as long and faster in parts. I don't know if I would call the track "fun", but it was fascinating! I'll definitely be going back, and I definitely recommend it to other drivers. There are so many different lines through many of the turns (and the laps are so long) that it's very hard to figure out what really works best for you car and style. My instructor Emillio (sorry if I just butchered your name) pointed out that the key to driving the track fast is to pay attention to the subtle differences in camber among the various turns that, at a glance, seem very similar. This was a very good tip!

Last edited by Palantirion; 09-25-2007 at 08:43 PM.
Old 09-25-2007, 09:59 PM
///M

Mein Auto: 07 M Coupe
Damn, that looks exhausting.

07 ///M Coupe (Premium Package) Black Saphire Ext. Imola Red Int.

Best Website in the History of the Internet!
Old 09-26-2007, 01:40 AM
Z4 Mvangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dammmittt View Post
Damn, that looks exhausting.
-Not too bad physically, surprisingly. Horse Thief Mile is VERY hard on the body, despite being only a mile long. It's all up, down, up, down, up, down, and turning all the time - there is actually NO straight on the track. The closest is the the "front straight" that is broken by a long chicane. Spring Mountain is more mentally fatiguing though.
Old 09-26-2007, 06:59 AM
My kine-a town.

Mein Auto: 335i, E350 Estate, F430
Quote:
Originally Posted by GP20 View Post

If the sets you're referring to are the "TC KLINE MZ4 TRUE MATCH S/A COILOVER W/ DA FRONT" then one of the 2 sold is mine and its getting installed next Wed.

What is it, exactly, I should be listening for? I'm more then happy to give my feedback.
Old 09-26-2007, 08:28 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Z4m roadster, E90 320d
how much does the air conditioning wheighs
Old 09-26-2007, 11:41 AM
Z4 Mvangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luminor View Post
If the sets you're referring to are the "TC KLINE MZ4 TRUE MATCH S/A COILOVER W/ DA FRONT" then one of the 2 sold is mine and its getting installed next Wed.

What is it, exactly, I should be listening for? I'm more then happy to give my
feedback.
-Umm, did you just write that you are getting a single-adjustable rear with double-adjustable fronts??? Is that what TCK's new kit is? Or is that just an option? Now that I've tracked with them, I can't imagine giving up my rear bump adjustability!