Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E85 / E86 Z4 (2003-2008)

E85 / E86 Z4 (2003-2008)
E85 Z4 Roadster, E86 Z4 Coupe, E85 Z4 M Roadster, and E86 Z4 M Coupe talk with our BMW gurus here.

Old 10-26-2007, 09:22 AM
Z4 Mvangelist

Mein Auto: 2003 M5-S2, 2002 540iT-S2
Quote:
Originally Posted by sixspeed View Post
I'lll start another thread - don't want to hijack this one!
-But put the link in here please.
Old 10-27-2007, 10:19 AM

Mein Auto: 2k1 330ci/SC
I was hoping for some real performance mods information.
Old 10-27-2007, 12:11 PM
My kine-a town.

Mein Auto: 335i, E350 Estate, F430
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmhives View Post
I was hoping for some real performance mods information.
So you decided to call us out with your very first post...?

For what its worth, just about every performance mod available for an M Coupe has been discussed in one way or another in this thread... weight reduction, exhaust, throttle bodies, software, suspension, brakes, wheels, tires... Sorry no turbo kits, blow off valves or NO2 here...
Old 10-27-2007, 05:28 PM
Z4 Mvangelist

Update
Well, the main idea I had for doing something "artistic" with my M Coupe has fallen through, at least in time for SEMA. So I've gone a different direction for the time being and gotten a local shop to wrap a few parts of the car so I can get a better idea of how it will look with a CF roof and a little flat black paint in selected areas. I have been told by BMS that a CF roof from IS actually on it way! We have a tracking number and everything After we get it installed I may follow through on the rear bumper and mirror paint.

Note: In the pics you may notice that not all of the mirror was wrapped by black vinyl. It was supposed to be, but I wasn't around during the wrapping and there's nothing I can do about it right this second

Also, here is an underside shot of the BMS exhaust. This one was built on the final jigs, 100% finished! So if you want one, start calling Chris!
Old 10-27-2007, 05:33 PM
TMS

Mein Auto: BMW
A CF roof looks good on a lighter colored car, but I'm not feeling the mirrors Earl. Also, if you really really want to do something cool with your diffuser, just look to Roman's car for inspiration. That is the one cosmetic mod I've seen that I really like.
Old 10-28-2007, 06:08 AM
My kine-a town.

Pal, have you checked out the Hartge CF mirrors? I'm not sure on all the details, but I'm considering them to go along with the CF roof.
[scratch that, just saw your post on my thread about the mirrors]

I'd be very interested in seeing some pictures of your roof when it arrives. Do you know if TCK cleared it or not? I ordered mine last week and opted not to pay the extra money to have them clear it. I'm sending it to my body shop for that...

Last edited by Luminor; 10-28-2007 at 06:12 AM.
Old 10-28-2007, 07:13 AM
///M

Mein Auto: 07 M Coupe
I like it...

07 ///M Coupe (Premium Package) Black Saphire Ext. Imola Red Int.

Best Website in the History of the Internet!
Old 10-28-2007, 05:05 PM
Z4 Mvangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luminor View Post
I'd be very interested in seeing some pictures of your roof when it arrives. Do you know if TCK cleared it or not? I ordered mine last week and opted not to pay the extra money to have them clear it. I'm sending it to my body shop for that...
-We're going to clear it after it arrives. I'm not sure who we're going to use, Chris will determine that.

Btw guys, I went to a nice BBQ with some Bimmerfest and M5board guys today. As it was organized by M5Board I posted pics on THIS thread.
Old 10-28-2007, 07:49 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Z4M coupe
Exhaust looks great cant wait to hear it. The roof will look good. Not sure about the mirrors and rear yet...
Old 10-28-2007, 10:34 PM
Banned

Mein Auto: Z4M
That car simply looks crazy!!! (in a good way )

Love the CF roof. The CF side mirrors remind me of Lambo's. Very nice looking. The only thing I'm not so sure about is the rear lower lip. From distance, it sort of looks like the rear bottom of the car was cropped off. Maybe I just haven't gotten used to seeing M-coupe like that.
Old 10-28-2007, 11:00 PM

Mein Auto: 2000 M Coupe
ha, for a minute there I thought it was CF. Nice concept.
Old 10-29-2007, 08:35 AM

Mein Auto: Alpine White Z4MC
For some reason I can't see the pics...

Alpine White Z4M Coupe
Old 10-30-2007, 12:58 AM
Z4 Mvangelist

BMS has finished its exhaust for Z4 M Coupes and M Roadsters. Using a combination of Magnaflow and scratch-built components the exhaust comes in Stage 1 (mufflers) and Stage 2 (mufflers and x-pipe) configurations. Both are hand-made and fit as good as they look!

For more details and photos I suggest starting on PAGE 16 of my Z4 MC Mods thread, and keep on going. Also, feel free to respond here with questions.

The Stage 1 systems retail for $1,599, and the Stage 2 system retails for $1,998. You can also order the x-pipe by itself if you want a little more sound out of your stock exhaust or another aftermarket muffler-only system. It retails for $499.

BMS is offering a group buy on the Stage 2 systems for the first 10 Z4 M owners to sign up on this GROUP BUY thread. The group buy price for the Stage 2 system is $1,898! So if you're serious about dropping some weight, adding sizable midrange power with no software, and having a great sound, sign up NOW!

Last edited by Palantirion; 10-30-2007 at 01:15 AM.
Old 10-30-2007, 06:17 AM

Send a message via ICQ to RussRamz
Mein Auto: 2007 M6, 2008 M Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palantirion View Post
BMS has finished its exhaust for Z4 M Coupes and M Roadsters. Using a combination of Magnaflow and scratch-built components the exhaust comes in Stage 1 (mufflers) and Stage 2 (mufflers and x-pipe) configurations. Both are hand-made and fit as good as they look!

For more details and photos I suggest starting on PAGE 16 of my Z4 MC Mods thread, and keep on going. Also, feel free to respond here with questions.

The Stage 1 systems retail for $1,599, and the Stage 2 system retails for $1,998. You can also order the x-pipe by itself if you want a little more sound out of your stock exhaust or another aftermarket muffler-only system. It retails for $499.

BMS is offering a group buy on the Stage 2 systems for the first 10 Z4 M owners to sign up on this GROUP BUY thread. The group buy price for the Stage 2 system is $1,898! So if you're serious about dropping some weight, adding sizable midrange power with no software, and having a great sound, sign up NOW!
Has anyone tried replacing the OEM US Spec headers with the OEM European headers? The reason I ask is that the part numbers for the Euro M3 CSL headers and the Euro Z4 M headers are identical. My only concern is the mid section which has a different part number from the US to Euro version. It looks like in the Euro version, there is one pipe with one cat and one pipe without a cat. In the US version, you get two cats. I suppose an option would be some Evosport or Supersprint headers which delete the cats from the US Version of the headers, but I still haven't made up my mind on what route to take. I would be interested in hearing someone's thoughts...

2010 BMW 335d Sedan, Black Sapphire/Black/Aluminum
Old 10-30-2007, 07:20 AM
My kine-a town.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palantirion View Post

Engraved or not engraved?
Old 10-30-2007, 06:03 PM
///M

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussRamz View Post
Has anyone tried replacing the OEM US Spec headers with the OEM European headers? The reason I ask is that the part numbers for the Euro M3 CSL headers and the Euro Z4 M headers are identical. My only concern is the mid section which has a different part number from the US to Euro version. It looks like in the Euro version, there is one pipe with one cat and one pipe without a cat. In the US version, you get two cats. I suppose an option would be some Evosport or Supersprint headers which delete the cats from the US Version of the headers, but I still haven't made up my mind on what route to take. I would be interested in hearing someone's thoughts...
me 2...

07 ///M Coupe (Premium Package) Black Saphire Ext. Imola Red Int.

Best Website in the History of the Internet!
Old 10-30-2007, 10:10 PM

Mein Auto: 03 M5; 97 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palantirion@BMS View Post
Update
Well, the main idea I had for doing something "artistic" with my M Coupe has fallen through, at least in time for SEMA. So I've gone a different direction for the time being and gotten a local shop to wrap a few parts of the car so I can get a better idea of how it will look with a CF roof and a little flat black paint in selected areas. I have been told by BMS that a CF roof from IS actually on it way! We have a tracking number and everything After we get it installed I may follow through on the rear bumper and mirror paint.

Note: In the pics you may notice that not all of the mirror was wrapped by black vinyl. It was supposed to be, but I wasn't around during the wrapping and there's nothing I can do about it right this second
So is this how the car went to SEMA? Any other goodies you're not telling us about
We want lots of pictures of cars and the "female promotional experts"

"Control, Vision, Determination" These are the three fundamental components of the new generation race car driver!! SPEED is a by-product! -Memphis Raines
Old 10-31-2007, 12:03 AM
Z4 Mvangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussRamz View Post
-That's why it makes more power than our US cars. The Euro headers don't have cats in them, instead placing them downstream. It's a long, expensive and slipper slope to try to duplicate that idea on US cars. But it's something I will be investigating later on.

The SS/Evosport route is obviously not CARB legal and can present some real problems when it comes time to get smogged. The other problem (and the more serious one) is explaining the differences in flow and readings to the US DME. It's not uncommon for E46s to have SES and other minor problems going the route you referred to. My thoughts are: while it may work "ok", it's not an ideal solution. I want my car to run PERFECTLY, or I'm not adding the mod.

Quote:
Engraved or not engraved?
-Not engraved. This was pretty much my call. I wasn't 100% happy with the engraver's alignment quality (98% is more like it), and I thought it best to go with clean tips that are 100% perfect. If you REALLY want the BMS logo on them, that could be arranged.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03BeastCharmer View Post
So is this how the car went to SEMA? Any other goodies you're not telling us about
We want lots of pictures of cars and the "female promotional experts"
-The car didn't go to SEMA. There were a bunch of last-minute setbacks and cancellations outside of my or BMS's control that kept the car from being shown. This won't effect my plans, just the method of display.

Last edited by Palantirion; 10-31-2007 at 12:05 AM.
Old 10-31-2007, 05:44 AM

Mein Auto: 99 M coupe
i like the rear black vinyl....

was the PLAN to do a motorsport flag??? bc thats my feeling for the placement

even if you say no, i think thats what you were going to do!
Old 11-01-2007, 01:13 AM
Z4 Mvangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by z3speed4me View Post
i like the rear black vinyl....

was the PLAN to do a motorsport flag??? bc thats my feeling for the placement

even if you say no, i think thats what you were going to do!
-Where would the flag go? Honestly, it never occurred to me. But it would look good, probably better on a white MC though.
Old 11-06-2007, 01:13 AM
Z4 Mvangelist

So, after several months I FINALLY got to look at my TCK CF roof. Unfortunately, it SUCKS!

Despite my repeated specification (and TCK's acknowledgement) that the roof was to be clearcoated, and thus that the CF layup must be perfect (even if minor imperfections in the gel were allowable), it arrived with numerous faults in the CF weave. After examination of the roof I have concluded that the guys who layed it up either were never told that it was going to be clearcoated, or they are completely incompetent.

Here are some pics I took illustrating the problems that were ALL inexcusably due to a lack of attention during production:

Old 11-06-2007, 09:02 AM
My kine-a town.

Quote:
So, after several months I FINALLY got to look at my TCK CF roof. Unfortunately, it SUCKS!

Despite my repeated specification (and TCK's acknowledgement) that the roof was to be clearcoated, and thus that the CF layup must be perfect (even if minor imperfections in the gel were allowable), it arrived with numerous faults in the CF weave. After examination of the roof I have concluded that the guys who layed it up either were never told that it was going to be clearcoated, or they are completely incompetent.

Here are some pics I took illustrating the problems that were ALL inexcusably due to a lack of attention during production:
Wow, I certainly will not be happy with my roof (enroute) if it looks like that...
Old 11-06-2007, 09:29 AM

I'm considering exhausts and am looking for the most bang for the buck.

So my question about yours as alternative to the incumbents (Supersprint etc) is: Aren't Supersprints on sale for around $2k? If they are proven and have big support etc, why would someone spend $2k on your stage 2? Not discounting the quality of your kit just trying to understand...

On the surface it seems the savings should be more significant or the kit should include more such as headers or something...

Or am I overlooking something?
Old 11-06-2007, 09:44 AM

Mein Auto: Z4 M Coupe
Quote:

There's no way that you should have to accept such shoddy work.
especially for what they charge....
Old 11-06-2007, 09:46 AM
Z4 Mvangelist

Quote:
Wow, I certainly will not be happy with my roof (enroute) if it looks like that...
-I would be shocked (and seriously pissed) if it wasn't similarly flawed as the one I received. But I wish you luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evoking View Post
I'm considering exhausts and am looking for the most bang for the buck.

So my question about yours as alternative to the incumbents (Supersprint etc) is: Aren't Supersprints on sale for around $2k? If they are proven and have big support etc, why would someone spend $2k on your stage 2? Not discounting the quality of your kit just trying to understand...

On the surface it seems the savings should be more significant or the kit should include more such as headers or something...

Or am I overlooking something?
-BMS's exhaust sounds better, looks better, give you more HP and TQ, fits perfectly (unlike many SS systems), and uses higher quality materials. BMS's exhaust is not the "most bang for your buck", because I'm sure you can find some discounted exhaust for less. BMS's exhaust is the best quality exhaust you can buy for a Z4 M for the same price as the mediocre alternatives.

Last edited by Palantirion; 11-06-2007 at 09:51 AM.