Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E85 / E86 Z4 (2003-2008)

E85 / E86 Z4 (2003-2008)
E85 Z4 convertible and E86 Z4 coupe talk with our BMW gurus here.

Old 02-12-2007, 01:22 PM
matching revs in

Mein Auto: Z4 M Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palantirion View Post
I may go that route with my M5, but the Z4 has to sunroof
The sunroof is a no-brainer tradeoff for the creases we get in the roof!
I think your approach to documenting everything you're doing to your car is cool. Keep up the good work!
Old 02-12-2007, 05:01 PM

Mein Auto: 08 E90 M3
Group Buy On Stoptech Kits !
Old 02-12-2007, 05:26 PM
Z4 Mvangelist

Mein Auto: 2003 M5-S2, 2002 540iT-S2
Quote:
Originally Posted by BKH View Post
P-man, where did you get that stubby radio antenna?
Micro Antenna, 4"
$20
Bimmian.com
Part Number #MNAAAABMY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast6 View Post
The sunroof is a no-brainer tradeoff for the creases we get in the roof!
I think your approach to documenting everything you're doing to your car is cool. Keep up the good work!
-Part of the documentation will be an upcoming spreadsheet listing: the mod, purpose, cost, vendor, part number, install time, weight change and weight location.

Tom, thanks for the suggestions. I already have TV In Motion hooked up, and I've got a DVD player running though a second AV input. I still need to run the IR repeater through to the cabin and tidy up some installation details, then I'll post pics. The backup camera might be neat to do later. So far I haven't had too much of a problem seeing behind me though.

Last edited by Palantirion; 02-12-2007 at 05:52 PM.
Old 02-12-2007, 08:46 PM
european auto source

Mein Auto: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palantirion View Post
Tom, thanks for the suggestions. I already have TV In Motion hooked up, and I've got a DVD player running though a second AV input. I still need to run the IR repeater through to the cabin and tidy up some installation details, then I'll post pics. The backup camera might be neat to do later. So far I haven't had too much of a problem seeing behind me though.
Run the IR sensor into the AC vent for a clean installation. Try to keep it near the screen since that is where you'll be trained to point the remote.

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG FACEBOOK YOUTUBE FLICKR INSTAGRAM
Old 02-13-2007, 09:17 PM
Z4 Mvangelist

Mod 14
2-13-07
Finished mounting and wiring for Microvision DVD player. Much thanks to Chris and Herm at BMS for instructing me when needed! Now for pics...

The yellow wire connects to constant power via a terminal under the black plastic cover.

Visible in this picture are the Tv Free and AV input wire harnesses, under the big black bracket and silver BMW Tv Module. The IR eye plug (small, black), power plug (4-pin, white), and AV plugs (yellow, red, white) can be seen on the left, below where the DVD player will be mounted. Also, you can see the stock trunk light temporarily strapped to the large black bracket (waiting for panel fabrication).

This is where I mounted the egg-shaped IR eye. Chris told me how to gently tuck the wire into the headliner and run it to the trunk. It was actually very easy - I only had to pop off the A and B pillar covers as all the trunk panels had been removed earlier. The IR eye is actually much less visible in the car than this picture would make it seem. The flash is like hitting it with a spotlight, and taking a picture with no flash was too blurry in my garage. Anyway, you get the idea.

The DVD mounted.

The DVD mounted, showing the whole trunk. It will be covered by a custom removable panel, which will be next on my work list.

This is the temporary location of the on/off switch that will allow me to power up/down the DVD player with the key out of the ignition (when gassing up the car, etc.). Once I fabricate the side panels I'll mount it properly in an appropriate location.
Old 02-16-2007, 07:02 PM
19,585 Miles

Mein Auto: Z4 M Coupe 6LL93033
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom @ eas View Post
Camera is mounted with double-sided tape and can be removed if needed:

The cable will go underneath the diffuser and through a grommet in the floor to the trunk area for connectivity.
Any pics of the keyhole camera mount?

Link to tv tuner/vid module installation manual?
Old 02-16-2007, 07:09 PM
european auto source

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Stygar View Post
Any pics of the keyhole camera mount?

Link to tv tuner/vid module installation manual?
Haven't installed the keyhole camera yet on the Z4, most are choosing the bumblebee since you can line up the camera on centerline rather than passenger-offset which takes some getting used to.

Email me directly for those instructions or anything else you need help on.

Old 02-16-2007, 07:24 PM
19,585 Miles

Quote:
Haven't installed the keyhole camera yet on the Z4, most are choosing the bumblebee since you can line up the camera on centerline rather than passenger-offset which takes some getting used to.
I assumed it went in a hole that you would drill.
Old 02-16-2007, 07:28 PM
european auto source

Quote:
I assumed it went in a hole that you would drill.
You could, I'm not sure many people would want to drill as this is permanent, rather than something that can be reversed if the vehicle is sold.

Old 02-16-2007, 08:34 PM
19,585 Miles

Quote:
You could, I'm not sure many people would want to drill as this is permanent, rather than something that can be reversed if the vehicle is sold.
Some of us were researching the PDC but like the camera better.
Old 02-16-2007, 08:41 PM
Z4 Mvangelist

Quote:
Some of us were researching the PDC but like the camera better.
-PDC should be easy (although expensive), just buy the Australian bumper and components.
Old 02-22-2007, 11:19 PM
Z4 Mvangelist

Here is the teasing part: I tracked the Coupe for the first time this last weekend (Horse Thief Mile, Willow Springs), but I'm not done processing pics and video yet. Sorry, I'm working on it. The pics are almost done. The video might take a while to edit down as I have about a hour and a half both inside the car and outside from the top of a hill. On now to other things...

Mod 15
2-22-07
Installed CG-Locks on both seatbelts. I haven't had a chance to test them out, but at Horse Thief Mile my thighs/butt were REALLY tight from bracing myself with the dead pedal in turns. Hopefully the CG-Locks will help at Willow in March.

Mod update
The MkIV armrest from LeatherZ is GREAT! I was skeptical at first, because I had to get used to the new arm positioning, but it is conclusively better than the stock position. It allows for similarly-easy shifting in normal street driving, and much more support for the arm during highway and track driving. The storage is also very good and the carpeted interior alows little to no sound to escape.

Update
I made my first component from scratch yesterday - a bracket to hold the BMW IMS bottle over the new relocated battery. This is part of my master plan to relocate not just the battery, but also the entire M Mobility system, tools AND owner's manual within the new trunk panels. Note: This bracket is rough and really just an operational template. I'm a crappy welder and if this bracket ever becomes part of a kit it will be professionally constructed. Anyway, I bought some 1/8"x3/4" bar stock at Depot and welded, hammered and grinded until I ended up with what you see here. So far it seems to work perfectly.

Here's a pic with the IMS bottle installed:

Lastly, I cut the left and right trunk panels (scary!) as they don't fit with the new battery and DVD player installed. Then I installed the remaining panels. What is left naked is what I need to fabricate my own panels for. In this pic you can also see that I cut away the top of the foam insulation from around the top of the rear shocks. This is to make it easier to adjust later on...which should be soon
Old 02-23-2007, 06:58 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 M Coupe
I like that tiny battery!

Maeve
Old 02-23-2007, 07:53 AM

Mein Auto: 01 Mc, 08 M3, Motorrad x2
Palantirion, I think it's really cool how you document all your mods in one thread. It's like a blog. If you ever need to go back and edit something and cannot (there is a lockout after so many hours) let me or AndyM know and we can make changes for you. Thanks for taking the time to post your experiences!

14 R1200RT | 09 F650GS | 08 E90 M3 | 06 M Coupe | 01 M coupe
Old 02-23-2007, 09:34 AM
Z4 Mvangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
Palantirion, I think it's really cool how you document all your mods in one thread. It's like a blog. If you ever need to go back and edit something and cannot (there is a lockout after so many hours) let me or AndyM know and we can make changes for you. Thanks for taking the time to post your experiences!
-Thank you very much Jon. I didn't know about the lockout. Hopefully editing won't be necessary (fingers crossed)!
Old 02-23-2007, 10:11 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Send a message via AIM to dwm Send a message via Yahoo to dwm
Mein Auto: 2002 M roadster
One word of caution on the CG-Locks... they work great, but their weight makes them want to wander into the door area without being reeled up. Easy to accidentally ding the door by closing one in the door somewhere. Train yourself now to always check before closing the door. And keep track of pesky passengers who won't be so careful (driving instructors tend to know the issue and usually won't make such a mistake, but other passengers...). I keep my passenger one latched most of the time.

They also work nicely for belting cargo firmly into the passenger seat. Say an overnight bag or a large bottle of water.
Old 02-23-2007, 11:46 AM

Mein Auto: E39 M5, E36 M3. E86 Z4 MC
Great thread - you need to sell this to me as a kit after you have it perfected! Love the battery mod. Will that create room for two sets of golf clubs (the acid test)? Let's do lunch next week or should we meet up for dinner in Santa Monica with the boys? One month of driving the M Coupe only and my E39 M5 feels like a land barge, no kidding!
Old 02-26-2007, 12:35 AM
Z4 Mvangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwm View Post
One word of caution on the CG-Locks... they work great, but their weight makes them want to wander into the door area without being reeled up. Easy to accidentally ding the door by closing one in the door somewhere. Train yourself now to always check before closing the door. And keep track of pesky passengers who won't be so careful (driving instructors tend to know the issue and usually won't make such a mistake, but other passengers...). I keep my passenger one latched most of the time.

They also work nicely for belting cargo firmly into the passenger seat. Say an overnight bag or a large bottle of water.
-Thanks for the tips!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKH View Post
Great thread - you need to sell this to me as a kit after you have it perfected! Love the battery mod. Will that create room for two sets of golf clubs (the acid test)? Let's do lunch next week or should we meet up for dinner in Santa Monica with the boys? One month of driving the M Coupe only and my E39 M5 feels like a land barge, no kidding!
-I doubt there is enough width to fit golf clubs, but I'll check asap. I did some calculations today, and the conversion effectively frees up 1 cubic foot (It seems like a lot more - think of it as 10% more space). I'd like to get together again, but I'm not sure when. The coming week is pretty jammed for me.

As much as I love my M5, I agree with your assessment!
Old 02-26-2007, 12:41 AM
Z4 Mvangelist

Mod 16
2-24-07
Applied Lamin-X 20mm clear lens protectors. These weren't sized quite as well as the ones I got for my M5, but once on they are pretty invisble. This will beat the hell out of taping them at the track!
ebsart.com/images/Net%20Publication/Misc%20Scatha/Mod%2016.JPG
[IMG]http://ebsart.com/images/Net%20Publication/Misc%20Scatha/Mod%2016.JPG[/IMG]

Today I made cardboard templates for the interior trunk panels. They look rough, but I'm ready to start cutting fabric. We'll see how it goes...

This pic shows the two side panels folded down. This will allow access to the M Mobility air pump and owners manual, and also my DVD player or whatever one wishes to stuff in the left pocket.

p.s. I also spent the day going through 350+ photos my wife took last weeked at Horse Thief Mile. It's taking me a lot longer than I thought, but I'm almost ready to post pics.

Last edited by Palantirion; 02-26-2007 at 12:56 AM.
Old 02-26-2007, 08:22 PM

Mein Auto: 07 Moupe
FYI. I've been watching this with keen interest for a while, but it goes toward the V1 discussion - especially if you take yours apart and move the sensors into various locations...

http://www.jaricdesign.com/display_modes.htm
Old 02-27-2007, 08:12 AM
The knights who say Ni!

Mein Auto: 2006 Z4 M Roadster
Quote:
Originally Posted by peeti View Post
FYI. I've been watching this with keen interest for a while, but it goes toward the V1 discussion - especially if you take yours apart and move the sensors into various locations...

Never saw that product before. Pretty cool, but website says it's no longer being sold

2006 MZ4 Roadster, Interlagos Blue, Light Sepang, CF Trim
CDV delete, OEM Strut Bar, Homelink

Old 02-27-2007, 08:25 AM
TMS

Quote:
Originally Posted by peeti View Post

Quote:
Note: The StealthOne is no longer available. If you are a current customer please see the support page for information on your StealthOne.
http://www.jaricdesign.com/products.htm
Old 02-27-2007, 09:44 AM
Z4 Mvangelist

The StealthOne is a very cool product, but not one I've ever felt I've needed. If I lived in a state where detectors are banned however...
Old 02-27-2007, 03:15 PM
Z4 Mvangelist

Mod 17
2-26-07
70mm BMW roundels for the new RGRs. Here they are mounted on the BBS center caps (after removing the BBS logo plate):
[IMG]http://ebsart.com/images/Net%20Publication/Misc%20Scatha/07,2-26,%20RGRs/DSC03887.JPG[/IMG]

Mod 18
2-26-07
Yesterday I took the Coupe down to BMS to get my new RGRs and RA-1s mounted.
Here is a nice pic of my Coupe reflected in Marshall's Black/Imola M3 Cabriolet:

This was actually my third trip for this very purpose The first set of RGRs, recieved more than a week ago, looked like this:

So we sent them back and had them (Zone Wheels) send us another set. The second set's finishes were a little closer, but still the rears were noticeably darker than the fronts So Chris called our guy at Zone Wheels, who got on the phone with BBS NA and had them: 1) Pull wheels in their warehouse in GA until they found a set that matched. 2) Overnight them at their expense to BMS. Props to Chris at BMS and Brad at Zone Wheels for sticking to their guns and sorting out the mess!

The third set looks like this:

Obviously there is some process variance between the plant that makes the 8.5" wheels and the plant that makes the 10" wheels, but these two are close enough in shade that they look fine on the car. Speaking of which, here are some pics (bear in mind that car had not yet been driven, so the suspension was still "pinched" up by the sticky tires after coming down off the rack):

p.s. According to my math, the car to-date weighs 35.95lbs less than stock, or 3267lbs. The weight saved from the wheel/tire swap was 4lbs per corner. Note that when we weighed my Contis they had been through two grueling track days and the RA-1s were "fresh off the boat". So the difference is probably closer to 4.5-5lbs per corner.

p.p.s. The RA-1s, despite not yet being broken in, stick like MAD!

Last edited by Palantirion; 02-27-2007 at 03:19 PM.
Old 02-27-2007, 05:21 PM
TMS

Thanks, I've been trying to visualize RG-R's on the coupe for quite some time. Those look like they're 19's?