Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E85 / E86 Z4 (2003-2008)

E85 / E86 Z4 (2003-2008)
E85 Z4 convertible and E86 Z4 coupe talk with our BMW gurus here.

Old 02-27-2007, 05:25 PM
Z4 Mvangelist

Mein Auto: 2003 M5-S2, 2002 540iT-S2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff View Post
Thanks, I've been trying to visualize RG-R's on the coupe for quite some time. Those look like they're 19's?
-Nope, 18s. 18x8.5 with 245/40R18s front, 18x10 with 274/35R18s rear.

They look larger because of the BMW roundel swap. It has smaller detail and shapes than the BBS logo, and tricks the eye into seeing the surrounding area (the wheel) as larger. It's sort of like a girl wearing a skirt with small polka dots - makes the butt look bigger by contrast.
Old 02-27-2007, 05:30 PM
TMS

Mein Auto: BMW
Ahh, cool. Actually, the tire sidewalls seemed too short when mentally comparing them to my stock wheels, plus there's a fair bit of openness between the wheel and disc rotor, so I flipped a coin and my guess came up wrong

Very nice track setup
Old 02-27-2007, 05:36 PM
19,585 Miles

Mein Auto: Z4 M Coupe 6LL93033
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palantirion View Post
-Nope, 18s. 18x8.5 with 245/40R18s front, 18x10 with 274/35R18s rear.

They look larger because of the BMW roundel swap. It has smaller detail and shapes than the BBS logo, and tricks the eye into seeing the surrounding area (the wheel) as larger. It's sort of like a girl wearing a skirt with small polka dots - makes the butt look bigger by contrast.
When you get a chance can you do some pics outside?
Old 02-27-2007, 11:52 PM
Z4 Mvangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Stygar View Post
When you get a chance can you do some pics outside?
-Of course. Hopefully this weekend I'll get some good shots.

Also, here is a link to my rather extensive Coupe @ Horse Thief Mile track day thread: http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=91235
Old 02-28-2007, 10:09 PM

Mein Auto: 2002 Z3 3.0i
Mods?

You put in a TV?, an iPod, took off the M badges, added the V-1, turned a fantastic sports car into a billboard by putting stickers all over it.
Am I the only one that sees something wrong here?
Terrible.
Old 02-28-2007, 10:22 PM
Calvinball Professional

Mein Auto: '07 M Roadster
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesAmazing View Post
You put in a TV?, an iPod, took off the M badges, added the V-1, turned a fantastic sports car into a billboard by putting stickers all over it.
Terrible.
No you are just the only one missing the obvious concept that reducing un-sprung weight as well as offsetting A/V weight or more likely reducing the overall weight is beneficial. I would suggest that it handles and accelerates slightly better than stock now with those important mods. The A/V stuff is trivial compared to the weightloss at the spindles.

I'm also missing the stickers "all over it".

Please regale us of the "proper" way to improve the breed, as perhaps you have done with your mighty 3.0i.

2007 Z4 M Roadster Sepang/Sepang-X/Black, Premium, Nav, BMW Strut Bar, Stubby Antenna, Dice, UUC clutch stop, Star Specs, and the rest joyfully stock.
Old 02-28-2007, 11:14 PM
Z4 Mvangelist

Mod 19
2-27-07
Applied black CF roundel stickers to all the roundels. They looked good on our black 540iT with RGRs, and I had a spare set, so I thought I'd try it out. I think it looks pretty good. Some pics:
[IMG]http://ebsart.com/images/Net%20Publication/Misc%20Scatha/Mod%2019.JPG[/IMG]
[IMG]http://ebsart.com/images/Net%20Publication/Misc%20Scatha/Mod%2019.JPG[/IMG]

I haven't had a chance yet to take any good outdoor shots with the new wheels, but I hope these will tide you over until I can get some better shots this weekend:

Quote:
Terrible.
-It's nice to have my first serious critic. At a glance, I'd agree with you as I also detest adding unecessary weight to sports cars. Here are my reasons and some numbers. I'll be curious to see if they change your mind.
1) NavTV/DVD setup. I did this first on my M5 before a long (11,000 mile) road trip two summers ago. It worked great and did a lot to relieve driver fatigue. Since then I've added it to our 540iT and MC because the weight isn't a lot and I REALLY hate the long boring drive through CA's central valley - which I'll be doing a lot in the Coupe to get to Laguna Seca, Infineon and Thunderhill later on. Also, like last weekend when stuck creeping along in bumper-to-bumper traffic en-route to the track it was a nice diversion and helped keep my blood pressure down.

2) Seat heater/massagers. These haven't been added yet, but will be as soon as the manufacturer supplies us with new smaller heater elements. These I first installed on my wife's 540iT as we bought it used and I promised her seat heaters, which it didn't come with. They are very nice on the lower back and the massagers do reduce driver fatigue on long trips. Best of all, they weigh less than 5lbs per seat!

3) Adding a V1 is an asset to any sports car. I have no reason to defend that.

4) The iPod is lighter than adding a CD changer and much more functional. Again...long trips, boredom, etc. It's not like I'm adding 80lbs in amps and speakers

5) I didn't take off all the M badges, just the two on the sides. Remember, they were incorrectly installed by BMW, so I had to take them off anyway. For the time being I think it looks better. If I change my mind in the future I'll put them back on. Besides, anyone who can't tell it's a M without reading the badges is no one to concern myself with - I'm not one of those guys who gets off on parading my M logo around town.

6) Stickers all over it? You lost me on that one. There's just the one BMS sticker on the rear glass.

In summation:
All the AV and cosmetic mods added precisely 13.52lbs (mostly in the rear, which is a good thing for balance). Combined with the battery relocation and wheel/tire mods, my Z4 weighs 36lbs LESS than stock. It drives way better AND is also more ergonomic than it was stock. And there's more serious performance work to come, we're just waiting on vendors...

Last edited by Palantirion; 02-28-2007 at 11:17 PM.
Old 03-01-2007, 04:33 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2006 Z4MC #LL93158
Quote:
Originally Posted by BKH View Post
Will that create room for two sets of golf clubs (the acid test)
I get two carry bags (Ping & Ogio) into my car with no modifications. Need to reverse the bags over one another and the Drivers need to be removed and placed on top.

Dave
Old 03-01-2007, 04:40 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2006 Z4MC #LL93158
Quote:
-Of course. Hopefully this weekend I'll get some good shots.

Also, here is a link to my rather extensive Coupe @ Horse Thief Mile track day thread: http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=91235
What hot tire pressures did you end up running?

Thanks,
Dave
Old 03-01-2007, 10:46 AM

Mods?

I have just kept my car the way za Germans intended it to be. Your into mods and that is your personal taste. I do like the red leather shifter boot you installed and the stubby antenna. That is all I would have changed. How did you manage to get your car with out the front bumper drilled for a license plate? I am looking at purchasing a M coupe right now but will be putting the European plate on my car (since the front bumper has already been drilled).

J
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Image(42).jpg
Views:	301
Size:	265.9 KB
ID:	99506   Click image for larger version

Name:	Image(77).jpg
Views:	290
Size:	290.9 KB
ID:	99508  
Old 03-01-2007, 11:04 AM
TMS

Quote:
I have just kept my car the way za Germans intended it to be.
The Germans would let us order the car without the badges, it's BMW North America who won't give us a badge delete option. Unlike him, I also removed the one from the decklid. The exhaust and brakes are sufficient visual cues as to the car's identity.
Old 03-01-2007, 11:20 AM

badges

I don't understand why you would want to take off the M badges. No big deal I guess but not sure why. I would get rid of the front and rear orange and red round reflectors (North America) if anything.
Old 03-01-2007, 11:34 AM

Mein Auto: 01 Mc, 08 M3, Motorrad x2
Quote:
Terrible.
Welcome to Bimmerfest. Most of the people on this board modify, own, and enjoy their cars according to their own individual, personal taste. Your (or anyone else's) liking and acceptance is not required. Common courtesy and respect of others on this board is required. You may have posted what you did thinking it was important to voice your opinion, but ask youself "what good can come of it" before you post again.

I took off my M badges to make the car easier to clean.

Palantirion, if you want any of these posts cleaned up, let me know and I will take care of them for you.

14 R1200RT | 09 F650GS | 08 E90 M3 | 06 M Coupe | 01 M coupe
Old 03-01-2007, 11:46 AM
TMS

Quote:
I don't understand why you would want to take off the M badges. No big deal I guess but not sure why. I would get rid of the front and rear orange and red round reflectors (North America) if anything.
I removed them because their absence improves the appearance of the car. My front reflectors are painted. I left the rears red because they're translucent and lighted, and I felt that had some safety value.
Old 03-01-2007, 11:54 AM
Z4 Mvangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caddyshk View Post
What hot tire pressures did you end up running?

Thanks,
Dave
Running CW I was 37fr and 39rr and CCW I settled on 37ff and rr. Note: These were not "hot" temps as I drove the car at 20-30mph for 5-7 minutes on the side roads to cool the brakes before I came into the pits. Because of the potential for oversteer at the downhill kink and the track-out elevation curves on several slower turns, running CCW I found the car behaved better with similar pressures front and rear. Running CW I wanted less traction in back to help rotation in the slowest corners.

Quote:
I have just kept my car the way za Germans intended it to be. Your into mods and that is your personal taste. I do like the red leather shifter boot you installed and the stubby antenna. That is all I would have changed. How did you manage to get your car with out the front bumper drilled for a license plate? I am looking at purchasing a M coupe right now but will be putting the European plate on my car (since the front bumper has already been drilled).

J
-I told the dealership that I would not accept the car if the front bumper was drilled. It's not specifically illegal to not have a license plate on your front bumper in CA. The vehicle code states that the license plate must be clearly visible from the front and not more than 38 (I think) inches from the ground.

I like to think that I am modding my car "za way Germans intended it to be". The car's original designs are always compromised by lawyers (front camber, Tv option) and marketers (no extended leather for Imola interiors ). I don't ever want the car to look like something BMW didn't make (hence adding the BMW roundels to the BBS wheels). I'm aiming for the look of a BMW "special edition", CSL-style, something like that. It's a work in progress, so we'll all find out together where it ends up...

p.s. Don't forget that the NavTV stuff are stock BMW components

Quote:
-I would ditch the reflectors in a hearbeat if it were that easy; they leave holes. The rear ones actually have a small wiring harness!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
Palantirion, if you want any of these posts cleaned up, let me know and I will take care of them for you.
-Thanks Jon, but that would be a little hypocritical of me. I've railed on other Bimmerfest car mods - I'm close to James' viewpoint on aesthetic mods. I'd rather see the forum remain a place of free expression, so long as there is some semblance of a constructive purpose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff View Post
I removed them because their absence improves the appearance of the car. My front reflectors are painted. I left the rears red because they're translucent and lighted, and I felt that had some safety value.
-That's a damn fine idea! How hard are the fronts to pry out?

Last edited by Palantirion; 03-01-2007 at 12:00 PM.
Old 03-01-2007, 12:09 PM

da Moderator

Correct me if I am wrong but I think I saw other people voicing their opinions (positive). I was just inquiring as to the direction he was taking with his car and he explained it. I don't agree with it as other's I am sure don't agree with mine.
I am sure he is not losing any sleep over it and I don't think it is necessary for you to power trip and intervene.
I don't think your avatar depicting a serial killer is necessarily appropriate.
I am enjoying the forum immensely as it has a lot of information available.

J
Old 03-01-2007, 12:15 PM

bumper woes

Your lucky you were able to keep the bumper without being drilled.
It is about $400 dollars to repair and paint a bumper so after a lot of rock chips I would consider getting the reflectors taken out and filled. If the rear reflectors have a wiring harness that might be more tricky. If your front bumper is drilled it is quite easy to have it filled and removed... once again about $400 dollars (CDN).
The OEM European plate bracket fits the holes so that is what I am going to do.

J
Old 03-01-2007, 12:25 PM

Actually Jon, sorry. I was just kidding. I thought it was Hannibal but I have no idea what it is.

Old 03-01-2007, 12:51 PM
TMS

Quote:
-That's a damn fine idea! How hard are the fronts to pry out?
I couldn't tell you. My car was involved in a collision just before Thanksgiving and among other things, the front bumper cover was replaced. I had the shop shoot the reflectors while they were painting stuff.

The reflectors are attached with fairly thin double-sided tape, and the tape is much thinner than the red 3M stuff that the body shops use. You're best off buying new reflectors and using them to replace the existing ones. One of Ron's earlier posts has a part number and ETK price. There are a couple of hatches in the fender liner that give access to that area, and that may be enough access to remove and replace them.
Old 03-01-2007, 06:51 PM
///MTOURAGE

Mein Auto: E86 Z4 ///M COUPE
Most of the mods we perform are likey things BMW AG would like to impliment but as mentioned they have to appeal to a wide variety of customers, lawyers, and marketeers. So we ( enthusiasts) perform these mods at our own expense to 1.) improve on stock performance and 2.) personalize our cars to our own unique taste.
I left express intructions to the boyz at the Performance center to not drill holes and they told me when they arrived that they do not drill until the owner has arrived and it is requested. I will NEVER run a front plate on the ///M Coupe, and would pay 10 $40 dollar fix-it tickets instead of installing one, besides the broken front bracket excuse works real well so far Does anyone with Interlagos Blue want to get a group buy on paint so we can all do the reflector painting extra cheap?
Old 03-03-2007, 01:49 AM

Mein Auto: 08 E90 M3
Any update on the stoptech kit?
Old 03-03-2007, 05:00 AM

Mein Auto: 99 M Coupe, 02 530i
Weight Addition Mod

Looking Great Earl! Pay no attention to those silly comments (Mark) about the V1 and TV install. It's not a track car ALL the time! A fella's gotta have some other entertainment!

There's one mod you failed to mention. It made the Coupe go real fast, but it added a significant amount of weight! Letting ME drive it!!!!

Loved seeing the whole story behind the Coupe.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20070201_9999_33.jpg
Views:	4811
Size:	34.5 KB
ID:	99733  
Old 03-03-2007, 05:44 AM
Z4 Mvangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_hifi View Post
Any update on the stoptech kit?
-Nope. I know they are working on it and it will not entirely share components with E46 kits. I'll let you guys know as soon as I hear anything.
Old 03-04-2007, 11:16 PM
Z4 Mvangelist

This weekend we went to the Bimmerfest meet in La Canada. You can see my pics from the meet here:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...=1#post2214917

A fellow Z4 MC owner was kind enough to let me take a pic of his stock trunk, as I had forgeotten to do this before tearing out all my stock panels I've been working on my own panels, which is easier said than done. I finished the four necessary, but they suck. At this point I'll just refer to them as "sketches". I'm going to do some research and find a local shop that can use mine as examples and make good ones. Then maybe the whole shebang will be ready to put together as a kit! The two side panels fold down to access small storage areas (see cardboard template pics).

Here's a sort of before/after of his trunk and my trunk with my crappy hand-made panels:
[IMG]http://ebsart.com/images/Net%20Publication/Misc%20Scatha/Mod%2013,%20trunk%20panels.JPG[/IMG]

After the meet, we drove down to Borrego Springs to meet friends/family for dinner. Here are pics:
Leaving La Canada:

On the 210 east:

There's still a little snow on the mountains:

Driving down the 15, near Corona:

On the 76 (I think) heading out to Borrrego from the 15:

The start of the FUN roads:

Here's a shot of Borrego Springs:

Parked:

Heading to town:

The moon was awesome!

On the trip home at midnight the moon was SO bright that we pulled over, shut off the lights, let our eyes adjust, and drove back through four miles of canyons just by moonlight. It was awesome!

Going up through Julian (headlights back on) the drive was great too - nightime, no cars, heavy winds blowing leaves over the road, and Danny Elfman's Nightbreed playing

We stopped for gas in Lake Elsinore, and since no other cars were around I thought I'd take some pics:

Btw, the RA-1s are AWESOME tires, as if that needed to be said. I think they are slightly quieter than the Contis. They are harder over big bumps, but smoother over light high-frequency bumps. Overall I'd say ride quality is about the same, but will be better once we get adjustable shocks. Subjectively I'd say their grip is about twice as superior to PS2s as the difference between PS1s and PS2s. 8 days until Willow...

Last edited by Palantirion; 03-04-2007 at 11:22 PM.
Old 03-05-2007, 01:18 PM

Send a message via AIM to rgali1
Mein Auto: 06 M Roadster
Thank you for commenting on the tires, I am very unhappy with the grip on the stock Conti's. My M roadster breaks traction way to easily with these tires, at no where near the handling limits of the car. I was going to get a set of PS2 however you seem to feel strongly that the RA-1's are a superior tire. I was wondering if anyone else can comment on replacement ties on the M cars. I want to get the best tire available for our cars. Also I was thinking of going to a 265 in the rear figuered the extra width would help a little any thoughts on up sizing? Thanks!

Last edited by rgali1; 03-05-2007 at 02:38 PM.