Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E85 / E86 Z4 (2003-2008)

E85 / E86 Z4 (2003-2008)
E85 Z4 convertible and E86 Z4 coupe talk with our BMW gurus here.

Old 03-06-2007, 05:16 PM
Z4 Mvangelist

Mein Auto: 2003 M5-S2, 2002 540iT-S2
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgali1 View Post
Thank you for commenting on the tires, I am very unhappy with the grip on the stock Conti's. My M roadster breaks traction way to easily with these tires, at no where near the handling limits of the car. I was going to get a set of PS2 however you seem to feel strongly that the RA-1's are a superior tire. I was wondering if anyone else can comment on replacement ties on the M cars. I want to get the best tire available for our cars. Also I was thinking of going to a 265 in the rear figuered the extra width would help a little any thoughts on up sizing? Thanks!
-The PS2 is the best all-around street tire you can buy. The RA-1 is, again in my opinion, the best dual-purpose street/track tire you can buy. If you want maximum DOT-approved dry traction and don't mind getting only 10k miles out of a $1200 set of tires, then the RA-1s are for you.

As for sizing, 245/40R18 (fr) and 275/35R18 (rr) fit perfectly. With a wider wheel than my 8.5 RGR I could see running 255s up front, but RA-1s don't come in that size. If you go with PS2s, I'd go for 255/35R18s and 275/35R18s on 18x9 and 18x10 wheels.

p.s. If you are keeping your stock wheels, you really shouldn't run larger tires than stock because you will get too much sidewall flex from the wider tires on narrow wheels. This, again due to size choices, means you will have to go with PS2s...unless an OEM rear wheel would fit up front, then you could run 245 RA-1s on all four corners. It's not ideal for absolute traction, but would be ideal for balance. It would also save you a little money vs. buying 4 aftermarket wheels.
Old 03-06-2007, 09:48 PM
ASC OFF

Mein Auto: 528i
wow i never really stopped to look at your car at the last meet (by raff).... but i want one of these now. that is a crazy car, guess i need a job haha.

This is with the NAWZ
Old 03-08-2007, 02:04 AM
Z4 Mvangelist

Mod 20
3-07-07
I applied the first of what will hopefully become many track maps from www.trackgraphic.com. Jim is a great guy to work with and will also do custom maps (I had him do an autoX course once). In case you are curious about the two Horse Thief Mile stickers, I used two because Scatha ran the track in each direction and HTM is a very different course when reversed.
[IMG]http://ebsart.com/images/Net%20Publication/Misc%20Scatha/Mod%2020.JPG[/IMG]

Mod 21
3-07-07
I am REALLY exited about this one! I read on this forum a while back that you can get more negative camber out of E46s and the Z4 by a simple adjustment to the strut mount bolts:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...+camber+adjust
In reality, you're just alligning the car outside of factory specs, but what works works! We did a proper allignment after the camber change and found the right side toe had changed too much, so that was fixed. If you do this mod I highly recommend paying for an allignment afterwards - just make sure they don't touch the camber!

Does it work? Hell yes!!! I drove the car immediately before the mod around our local "test track". Then I drove it immediately afterwards. The difference is not extreme, but definately noticeable. With 245/275 tires (slightly less stagger than the stock 225/255) the car finally feels prefectly balanced! By which I mean the car no longer fights with neutral-throttle understeer. To my surprise oversteer wasn't an issue either on the 70-mph S turns I tested on. The car just rotated happily I even ran into a case where I had to brake suddenly (abeit smoothly) while exiting one of the turns due to a Suburban stopping and the ensuing oversteer (IE: potential spin) was not severe and easily corrected by a slight change of steering input.

FYI: Remember that I am running RA-1s. You're experience will differ based on your tires, but I imagine the overall improvement in balance would be similar, even if the total grip was different.

p.s. The camber mod also gets rid of two pin screws that weigh a total of 0.01lbs

p.p.s. The factory understeer IS there for a reason: To keep the average driver from spinning the car as easily. This mod WILL make it potentially easier for you to spin your car. Be careful and progressive - LEARN your car!

Now for pics...
This is the strut tower top after the mod. See the little hole with a smaller threaded hole off-center in it? That's the maximum potential change, which amounts to -1.5 degrees.

Before:

After:

Really, there IS a difference in the angle. 1.5 degrees is difficult to see with the naked eye - especially in an imperfect snapshot. See it in person and it's pretty obvious.

Here is the allignment graph immediately following the mod, but before the allignment. Note the front right toe setting is off:

Some pics of it on the rack:

I didn't take a pic of the grin my face after driving it. Use your imagination.

Last edited by Palantirion; 03-08-2007 at 02:16 AM.
Old 03-08-2007, 07:22 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 07 Moupe
This has definitely become one of my favorite threads! Thanks for the continued notes and pix!

On the battery that you put in (and are talking about making a kit out of) ... what's the reality on this thing dying? In other words - you replaced a honking big one with a tiny one... will it last in every day use - especially one with short trips?

Thanks again!
Old 03-08-2007, 09:51 PM
Z4 Mvangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by peeti View Post
This has definitely become one of my favorite threads! Thanks for the continued notes and pix!

On the battery that you put in (and are talking about making a kit out of) ... what's the reality on this thing dying? In other words - you replaced a honking big one with a tiny one... will it last in every day use - especially one with short trips?

Thanks again!
-No issues so far. It does have a dimished capacity, so I try to remember never to leave my headlights on with the engine off. I've had it off for a week with the trunk light on and off during panel construction. Afer all that it cranked slightly more slowly but still kicked off fine. After a short drive it cranked over just like normal. Time will tell how the battery ages...
Old 03-09-2007, 12:31 AM
10 YEARS!!!

Send a message via AIM to JT///M3
Mein Auto: 99 MCoupe/01 740iSport
not to be an ass, but I've read a few of your posts and you've spelled the word "excited" - "exited" - just thought I'd point that out.
99 MCoupe Arctic Silver---> Laguna Seca Blue - Sold
01 740i Sport Titanium Silver- Sold
04 X5 4.8is Estoril - Sold
98 M3/2 - His - Sold
97 M3/4 - Hers - Sold

Old 03-09-2007, 12:53 AM
Z4 Mvangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT///M3 View Post
not to be an ass, but I've read a few of your posts and you've spelled the word "excited" - "exited" - just thought I'd point that out.
-That's because I was excited!

Thanks for the correction.
Old 03-10-2007, 05:00 PM
Z4 Mvangelist

Today we took the Coupe to Cars & Coffee and a BMW meet in Brea. For pics, click here:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...=193130&page=2

Mod 22
3-10-07
If you own a Z4 M, then you know how irritating it is to try and hold anything still in the trunk. I have no idea why BMW did not include provisions for a cargo net, so I've taken it upon myself to fix their mistake. I bought an E36 cargo net from a dealership and four eye bolts from Home Depot. After a little drilling and tapping I screwed the eye bolts in and tightened the nuts. I did have to drill a little larger hole in the rear plastic panel for centering and clearance purposes. There are two rectangular holes in that same panel whose purpose mystifies me. So I threaded two velcro straps (also from Depot) through them and used them to add tension to the net. This will allow smaller items to be secured in the lower portion of the trunk.

Unfortunately I don't think there is a way to make a useful net mount arrangement with the stock battery tray. Maybe that can be an excuse to replace it with a BMS tray, hehe.

Here are some pics (remember, only the lower rear floor panel is finished - please excuse the mess):

Old 03-10-2007, 05:56 PM

Mein Auto: 08 E90 M3
Is that Cars and Coffee a regular event? every saturday?
Old 03-10-2007, 10:35 PM
Z4 Mvangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_hifi View Post
Is that Cars and Coffee a regular event? every saturday?
-Yep, rain or shine.
Old 03-11-2007, 12:07 PM

Mein Auto: 99 M3
Earl, wow your car is looking mighty sweet. Keep it up man!!
Old 03-12-2007, 04:50 PM
Z4 Mvangelist

So I'm killing time in Lancaster right now. Tomorrow I take the Coupe to the big track at Willow - its first time, my third. I'll do the usual pics and such, although this time I don't have a wife or friend to take exterior shots while I'm on track. Maybe I can get someone to shoot a few. I do plan to take in-car video though.

Before I left home I raised the pressure in all four RA-1s to 40psi from 32. The ride is a little harder, but not as much as I expected (a little firmer than stock). My mpg improved noticeably, from 22-23 to 25-26mpg in steady highway driving. Without furthur testing I'd say the wider and stickier RA-1s return roughly stock mileage if they are at 40psi and the OEM Contis are at 32-34psi.

p.s. Aside from the same psi, I am also running the same camber (-1.5) and toe (about .14) on all four corners. The car does track better on the highway with more toe. We'll see tomorrow if it remains agile as well.
Old 03-12-2007, 05:53 PM
Rest in peace, Coach

Mein Auto: '06 MZ4C, '09 WRX Wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palantirion View Post
Before I left home I raised the pressure in all four RA-1s to 40psi from 32.

You may want to bleed that down to about 32 again tomorrow morning before you get on the track. RA-1s turn slippery when over-inflated.
"Bench racing" about track times driven by professionals are like a bunch of nerds arguing which Princess Leia is hotter, the slave Leia or the no-bra jail-bait Leia. No matter how compelling your argument is, the plain and simple fact is, none of you will EVER get to hit that.
Old 03-13-2007, 04:16 AM
Z4 Mvangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK View Post
You may want to bleed that down to about 32 again tomorrow morning before you get on the track. RA-1s turn slippery when over-inflated.
-Lol, of course! I'm aiming for 40psi hot...
Old 03-14-2007, 11:24 AM
Rest in peace, Coach

So? How was it? Avakian was raving about how good your car was with the R-Comps. All day long he was telling me I've got to get R-Comps on my coupe. I've got a set of rears (275) waiting for a new set of rims in the garage (NITTO NT-01R), I'm waiting for the 255s to become widely available for the front.

I should have taken him out for a ride in my car on the stock Contis.
"Bench racing" about track times driven by professionals are like a bunch of nerds arguing which Princess Leia is hotter, the slave Leia or the no-bra jail-bait Leia. No matter how compelling your argument is, the plain and simple fact is, none of you will EVER get to hit that.
Old 03-14-2007, 03:50 PM
Z4 Mvangelist

Quote:
So? How was it? Avakian was raving about how good your car was with the R-Comps. All day long he was telling me I've got to get R-Comps on my coupe. I've got a set of rears (275) waiting for a new set of rims in the garage (NITTO NT-01R), I'm waiting for the 255s to become widely available for the front.

I should have taken him out for a ride in my car on the stock Contis.
How was it? Tiring! I'm not used to pulling Gs like that for as long as I was out there. As usual I learned a lot, I know specifically where I need to improve most. And I have a good idea of the areas of the car's performance that need to be addressed. I got pics and vid, gonna upload as soon as I can.
Old 03-14-2007, 06:12 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: I keeps what I find
Who put on the Willow event??
Old 03-14-2007, 07:53 PM
Z4 Mvangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmos View Post
Who put on the Willow event??
-Driving Concepts.
Old 03-15-2007, 10:12 AM
Rest in peace, Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palantirion View Post
How was it? Tiring!

That's the thing with DCI schools, it's a freakin' marathon. They cram in a weekend's worth of instruction and track time in a single day. I think the typical group1 driver can get up to ~5 solid hours of driving? Last time I almost went through 2 tanks of gas on the 3.0.
Old 03-15-2007, 11:57 AM
Z4 Mvangelist

Quote:
That's the thing with DCI schools, it's a freakin' marathon. They cram in a weekend's worth of instruction and track time in a single day. I think the typical group1 driver can get up to ~5 solid hours of driving? Last time I almost went through 2 tanks of gas on the 3.0.
-More like 3 hours, but a SOLID three hours...but that's if you're not in A group and run double stints with both B and C groups after lunch

p.s. Interestingly, I got much worse mileage at HTM. I guess at Willow you are on the gas more, but moving much faster. And HTM is WOT/Brakes, WOT/Brakes, and so on...
Old 03-17-2007, 11:37 PM

Send a message via AIM to rgali1
Mein Auto: 06 M Roadster
Does anyone with Interlagos Blue want to get a group buy on paint so we can all do the reflector painting extra cheap?[/QUOTE]

Count me in the orange really looks out of place!
Old 03-19-2007, 12:42 AM

Mein Auto: 99 M coupe
in sorry i really dont mean to sound like an ass but i have read your threads and ive looked at your "mods," im just kinda worried that ....well, not just you...but anyone writeing this would sound like a "tool". it's just that the only decent mods ive seen or heard was the brake kit. are you at least gonna add any heavy mods?????? i just have a real hard time calling a sticker, or shift knob colors mods. i know your gonna take it personal and that isnt my intent but i dont think you can hardly call those "mods"??? like..... are there any engine mods or is it just for show???????
Old 03-19-2007, 12:45 AM

Mein Auto: 99 M coupe
oh yeah and in case for you spelling nuts out there dont tell me about my spelling errors.... i dont care.
Old 03-19-2007, 10:19 AM
Z4 Mvangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9Mcoupe9 View Post
in sorry i really dont mean to sound like an ass but i have read your threads and ive looked at your "mods," im just kinda worried that ....well, not just you...but anyone writeing this would sound like a "tool". it's just that the only decent mods ive seen or heard was the brake kit. are you at least gonna add any heavy mods?????? i just have a real hard time calling a sticker, or shift knob colors mods. i know your gonna take it personal and that isnt my intent but i dont think you can hardly call those "mods"??? like..... are there any engine mods or is it just for show???????
-I don't take it personally and I might as well explain what you brought up.

Everything I have listed IS a mod, as-in a modification of the vehicle. My goal with this thread is to list everything, down to the last detail, that is modified on my Coupe - including part numbers, vendors, cost, labor and weight change (these will come later in an Excel spreadsheet that I'm working on). The idea is that if someone likes any mod I can provide the necessary information for them to replicate it themselves. You never know what people will find interesting or appealing, so I document everything.

There are many significant performance mods in the works, but they unfortunately take time. Like the rest of you, I rely mostly on outside vendors to supply components. If they don't have a product for sale then I have to wait, or make it in-house. BMS and I have been working on a few in-house performance mods, but I'm not going to comment further on those at this time. For now, we are in a situation where much of the icing is done before the cake. It's a bit irritating (especially for me!), but that's the way of it for the time being. Try to understand that no one wants to get the "real" mods on the car more than I

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9Mcoupe9 View Post
oh yeah and in case for you spelling nuts out there dont tell me about my spelling errors.... i dont care.
-I reallize that you don't care, that's your choice. Just bear in mind that how you type is the only way most of us on this forum will ever know you. If you are haphazard with your language it is more difficult to understand your position and you are less likely to be taken seriously.
Old 03-20-2007, 12:35 PM

Mein Auto: 2002 Z3 3.0i
Palantirion, you are the king of mods. When are you going to get rid of the reflectors (front and rear). I am waiting for someone to do it so I can find out how much it would cost and complexity (rear red reflectors are wired).