Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E85 / E86 Z4 (2003-2008)

E85 / E86 Z4 (2003-2008)
E85 Z4 Roadster, E86 Z4 Coupe, E85 Z4 M Roadster, and E86 Z4 M Coupe talk with our BMW gurus here.

Old 03-20-2007, 03:11 PM
Z4 Mvangelist

Mein Auto: 2003 M5-S2, 2002 540iT-S2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesAmazing View Post
Palantirion, you are the king of mods. When are you going to get rid of the reflectors (front and rear). I am waiting for someone to do it so I can find out how much it would cost and complexity (rear red reflectors are wired).
-At this point I'd recommend just painting them. Any other fix will require new body panels with no holes...and we don't want to get ahead of ourselves just yet...

Update: Dropped the car off at Costa Mesa Auto Upholstery this morning for Augie to use my crap-panels as "sketches" for quality pieces. After this is done it shouldn't be too hard to put together the various items into a kit(s).
Old 03-20-2007, 08:43 PM

Mein Auto: 2002 Z3 3.0i
I can't believe this! You've had the whole car apart already! I would think getting the holes filled in the bumper by a body man would be trivial! :P
Old 03-20-2007, 11:18 PM
Z4 Mvangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesAmazing View Post
I can't believe this! You've had the whole car apart already! I would think getting the holes filled in the bumper by a body man would be trivial! :P
-Actually I've only had the rear bumper off.
Old 03-20-2007, 11:59 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2006 M Coupe, 2007 Forest
Palantirion-admiring your tasteful, interesting mods. The factory should be taking notes. One one of your post you mentioned CA doesn't specifically require front plate attached to bumper. Do you keep your on the dash? I have been driving around without front plate attached taking my chances.
Keep up the great thread with your mods.
Bob
Old 03-21-2007, 03:15 PM
Z4 Mvangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by docarut View Post
Palantirion-admiring your tasteful, interesting mods. The factory should be taking notes. One one of your post you mentioned CA doesn't specifically require front plate attached to bumper. Do you keep your on the dash? I have been driving around without front plate attached taking my chances.
Keep up the great thread with your mods.
Bob
-I keep mine in the pouch behind the passenger seat. I figure at least the first ticket will be a normal fix-it. After that I may have to keep it more accessible so I can toss it up on the dash when needed. I'm also trying to twist Chris's arm to have BMS produce a cheap frame+clamp (my design) that would allow you to use the factory tow hook as an attachment point so no matter what you'll never have to drill into your bumper. He doubts enough people will buy them to make it worth his while to develop. I think he's wrong

Update:
I have been asked not to comment on the developements at StopTech until they are ready to release their product(s). I expect next week to be interesting, but I'm not going to say why.

Also, it looks like my TCK-developed Koni DA shocks are going to be ready and installed within the next few weeks (fingers crossed). These first units are hand-built by Koni NA. Later this summer TCK will have the regular production versions ready for sale.
Old 03-21-2007, 03:29 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 M Coupe, 2007 Forest
I would be one willing to purchase solution that would prevent drilling of bumper. Maybe you could take a poll and use the results as ammunition for production of frame and clamp.
Thanks,
Bob
Old 03-22-2007, 01:24 PM
Z4 Mvangelist

Update:
Pics from the Coupe's last outing at Willow Springs:
http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/sho...62#post1002562

Unfortunately my wife couldn't go with me so I have no shots of my Coupe on-track. gbogh took some, and hopefully he'll post them soon. As explained in the other post, I also took video but can't edit it yet due to my computer crashing. I hope to resolve that problem asap.

The RA-1s are awesome, everything I had hoped for in a tire. I was finally able to conquer my fear of turn 8 and mananged to push through at better than 120mph. I realize that the car is capable of much more than that...but you have to walk before you can run, right? My lap times were right about 1:42 flat, better than my best in my M5-S2 (1:46.8), but far slower than the car can do.

Bearing in mind that these numbers do not reflect the true potential of either car, here are some speed comparisons of my M5-S2 on PS1s vs my stock M Coupe on RA-1s at Willow:

turn 2
M5: 82, quickly fading to 79 after three laps
MC: 85 in warmup. 90, all day long

back straight
M5: 130
MC: 127

turn 8
M5: 110, pushing to 115 at exit
MC: 120, pushing to 125 at exit

turn 9
M5: 90 at exit
MC: 102 at exit

front straight
M5: 133 (redline in 4th), at braking zone
MC: 130, at braking zone
Old 03-22-2007, 06:46 PM
Dragon Master of TEXAS!

Mein Auto: '00 Z3-2.8L, '07 335i
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palantirion View Post
-......-Hey, great post! Yeah, I've heard that the smaller batteries can drain faster. I've been planning to get a battery tender, but I didn't have any recommendations. Any issues with the BT Jr.?....
Sorry for the LLLAAATTTEEE Reply, no issues with the BT Jr. Works like a champ! You just need to remember that you have to plug it in.
Great write up and mods so far!

2000-2.8L Z3 StahlGrau Roadster (some mods) ~ 2001-335i (BONE STOCK!)
BMWCCA Tejas Chapter & iZ3 Project Coordinator for the San Antonio area
FEAR MY TWO SEATER!!!!!!!
Hello, I'm a MOD-A-HOLIC, check out my site to see my addictions! www.Z3POWER.net

Member Since May 17, 2002

Last edited by z3power; 03-22-2007 at 07:04 PM.
Old 03-25-2007, 01:19 PM
Z4 Mvangelist

Update:
The trunk panels from Costa Mesa Auto Upholstery are done and installed. I'm pleased with the results, although there are a few small things that will be changed for production versions. More on that later. For now, here are pics of the production prototypes.
Note: The carpet used by CMAU is very, very close to BMW's, but invariably the grain and color will be different under strong light like that from the flash in my camera. I tried to correct this in pshop to a more accurate representation of the panels as seen by the naked eye.

In the shop:

All panels removed:

All panels done:

Panel 4 open to access DVD player and shock:

Panel 3 removed to access M mobility kit, BMW tools, owner's manual and shock:

Panels 2 and 3 removed to access battery:

High-angle shot showing room gained over stock:

Stock:

Pricing for the kit at particular stages has yet to be set. I'll update that info as soon as I find out from Chris. We do still have to tweak some of the aspects of the trunk panels (different grommets, different fastening system, fine-tune curvatures, etc.). Most likely the battery bracket and battery will be sold as Stage 1, the trunk panels will be sold as Stage 2, and the cargo net and hooks will be sold as Stage 3.

p.s. I just found out that the first customer for the battery bracket is TC Kline, one for his Carbon Roadster and one for his Carbon Coupe
Old 03-29-2007, 01:02 AM
Z4 Mvangelist

Update:
I finally got around to installing the trunk switch for the Coupe's DVD player. No big whoop, here's a pic (sorry about the dirty trunk ):

Mod 23
3-28-07
I had Western Glass Tint tint the Coupe's windows with #38 ceramic. I had considered going with a staggered tint like we did on our other two BMWs, but given the window sizes and shapes I decided against it. I'm pleased with the results. Before/after pics:
Old 03-29-2007, 05:56 PM

Mein Auto: 07 Z4 M Coupe 07 X5 4.8
You are sick Great job with all of the mods and also the detailed reports. Would love to have detailed pricing and reviews on total package when completed. Great job keep up the great work

Patrick
Old 03-30-2007, 09:22 AM

Mein Auto: 07 Z4M Coupe
The tint looks nice... two questions:
1 - I presume this is not legal tint in California. Any concerns about that? I've always avoided it because I didn't want to attract attention
2 - Any issues with the dots on the windows, do you have any up-close pics or points on how that was handled?

I'd really like to tint my windows like that...

Dave
Old 03-30-2007, 03:02 PM
Z4 Mvangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracknut View Post
The tint looks nice... two questions:
1 - I presume this is not legal tint in California. Any concerns about that? I've always avoided it because I didn't want to attract attention
2 - Any issues with the dots on the windows, do you have any up-close pics or points on how that was handled?

I'd really like to tint my windows like that...

Dave
1- It's illegal, but:
a) I can probably get a doctor's prescription for it, as I have light colored eyes that are "more prone to cataracts".
b) The shop will strip your side windows, give you a receipt for the proceedure, and then reinstall the same tint for a low price.

2- Truthfully I haven't checked yet. I was told to park the car in the sun for 2-3 days so everything would cure evenly. It's been 3 days now, so I'll go check.

If I were to do it again, I'd go 38 on the side windows and 28 on the rear. Personal preference.

d90king, I'll post $ info as soon as the kit(s) are ready for sale.

p.s. I forgot to mention that WGT ordered some 4mm clean film for my windshield. With luck this will have good optical clarity and protect it from rock chips! Keep your fingers crossed
Old 03-30-2007, 03:22 PM

Mein Auto: 07 Z4M Coupe
Thanks for the reply, the car definitely looks nice with the tint. Let me know about those dots when you get a chance

Dave
Old 03-30-2007, 03:27 PM
Z4 Mvangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracknut View Post
Thanks for the reply, the car definitely looks nice with the tint. Let me know about those dots when you get a chance

Dave
-Will do.

p.s. I just got off the phone with Chris at BMS. I'll have StopTech's new 4-wheel kit on very soon...but no details until installation as per StopTech's request. BMS will be the "beta tester" for the kit.

TCK Koni-doubles are also on their way...
Old 03-31-2007, 11:03 AM
in HIS hands :)

Mein Auto: 03 m sport 540it
earl,

holy smokes! i FINALLY remembered your monstrous thread! it has taken me 2 days to wade through it! absolutely love it. you are absolutely nuts, in the good sense. bookmarked, my friend!

your knowledge, but mechanical and performance-wise, and pics of course, made my day.

may not have an m coupe, may never get one, but this is worth the read.

wife's '09 e91

"The LORD gave, and the LORD has taken away, blessed be the name of the LORD."
Old 03-31-2007, 03:16 PM
Z4 Mvangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by aw/ir02smg View Post
earl,

holy smokes! i FINALLY remembered your monstrous thread! it has taken me 2 days to wade through it! absolutely love it. you are absolutely nuts, in the good sense. bookmarked, my friend!

your knowledge, but mechanical and performance-wise, and pics of course, made my day.

may not have an m coupe, may never get one, but this is worth the read.
-Thanks Jack. You know, I DO refer to it as "my Jack thread".

tracknut, the tint looks ok. The "dotted" areas have an even line where the tint didn't stick, so in my case it looks like a slightly lighter silver line up close. From medium/far distance it's invisible. It would bother me if the line was uneven, but it's pretty good.
Old 04-01-2007, 11:13 AM
Dragon Master of TEXAS!

Mein Auto: '00 Z3-2.8L, '07 335i
Talking

Great work on the trunk's modification!

2000-2.8L Z3 StahlGrau Roadster (some mods) ~ 2001-335i (BONE STOCK!)
BMWCCA Tejas Chapter & iZ3 Project Coordinator for the San Antonio area
FEAR MY TWO SEATER!!!!!!!
Hello, I'm a MOD-A-HOLIC, check out my site to see my addictions! www.Z3POWER.net

Member Since May 17, 2002
Old 04-04-2007, 12:25 AM
Z4 Mvangelist

Update:
Met with a Vorsteiner design rep at BMS today. Interestingly, they are located in Orange, and I'm also in Orange - small world! I dropped the Coupe at BMS off for a while; I'll be in Japan for a week starting next Saturday. While I'm gone we're hoping to have the BBK and TCK coilovers installed.
Old 04-05-2007, 05:06 PM
Z4 Mvangelist

Update
I was down at BMS again today, going over some plans for the car. Nothing to publicize yet, but I came up with a personalized license plate that we all liked and sums-up our goal with the car:
[IMG]http://ebsart.com/images/Net%20Publication/Misc%20Scatha/BMS%20CSL.jpg[/IMG]

It has been ordered.
Old 04-16-2007, 08:54 PM
Z4 Mvangelist

Update:
I just got back from a weeklong trip to Japan. Surprisingly, no StopTech kit came in while I was away. Chris will hopefully convince them that Bimmerfest is coming up soon... But the TCK Konis came in and BMS will start installation tomorrow.
Old 04-20-2007, 02:09 AM
Z4 Mvangelist

Update:
Still no brakes from StopTech. Supposedly they will be brought in by a StopTech technician tomorrow or possibly Monday But BMS got all the rear suspension done today; TCK d/a Konis, 600lb Vaught springs, GC lower control arms and TMS bushing limiters. Tomorrow they should finish up the front suspension and then we'll just be waiting on StopTech...

p.s. The rear suspension cuts 6.5lbs from the car, all from the springs.
Old 04-21-2007, 08:21 AM
Z4 Mvangelist

Update:
No brakes from StopTech today, but Chris is pretty confident they will arrive on Monday. In the mean time, BMS finished the front suspension upgrades. This comprises TCK d/a Koni struts with 500lb springs and TCK camber plates (modified by BMS to not cause strut tower load stress). Some pics:
[IMG]http://ebsart.com/images/Net%20Publication/Misc%20Scatha/Mod%2025.JPG[/IMG]

Once the brakes come we'll get it on the ground and dial in the ride height - I can't wait! I've also ordered a BMW strut brace which hopefully will be in by next Wednesday.

If you are curious, the suspension on the whole has cut weight by another 6.2 lbs, but all at the rear. This is all from a reduction in spring weight vs. stock, but in the front the 4lbs/side cut from the springs is matches by a 4lb/side gain from the camber plates. To-date, I estimate my Coupe's curb weight has dropped from 3303 to 3262. More to come...

Oh, and I noticed this cool little "M" stamping in the oem rear lower control arm:

p.s. I forgot to post yesterday that I had applied the "silver" front reflector decals from dansdecals.com and they match pretty closely - more closely than orange anyway! Here's a pic:

Last edited by Palantirion; 04-21-2007 at 08:29 AM.
Old 04-23-2007, 03:13 PM
Z4 Mvangelist

Update:
Got a call from Chris at BMS and StopTech HAS sent out the kit for my car. It should arrive tonight and be installed by the end of tomorrow (I hope). That will leave me one day to get used to the car and double-check everything before heading out to Willow Springs for an HPDE on Thursday to test. Pics to follow...
Old 04-23-2007, 04:11 PM
YOU ARE NEXT!

Mein Auto: 00 528it, 03 C230 Komp
Wow man, the car is looking good. Are you going to bring that one to the BBQ, would love to check it out some more in person.