Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E85 / E86 Z4 (2003-2008)

E85 / E86 Z4 (2003-2008)
E85 Z4 Roadster, E86 Z4 Coupe, E85 Z4 M Roadster, and E86 Z4 M Coupe talk with our BMW gurus here.

Old 10-11-2009, 11:19 AM
Z4 Mvangelist

Mein Auto: 2003 M5-S2, 2002 540iT-S2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Stygar View Post
Rain. I kept the cut piece in the trunk.
Never had an issue though with rain.
-Well, I didn't have time to try this mod, but I'll keep it in my "back pocket" for later.

The OCRC event was awesome. Unfortunately we had hot days (good for testing) with cold winds coming in the afternoon (bad for testing), so I get as much data as I had hoped for.

Between myself, my wife and Vinny we took 2700 pics, and I'm not finally done with the first round of processing. I'll post them on a thread soon, after I get my in-car videos sorted out.

More to come...
Old 10-11-2009, 02:16 PM
19,585 Miles

Mein Auto: Z4 M Coupe 6LL93033
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palantirion View Post
-Well, I didn't have time to try this mod, but I'll keep it in my "back pocket" for later.

Pull the whole thing like you said and see what happens.
Old 10-16-2009, 12:11 PM
Z4 Mvangelist

Mod #56, UPDATE
Due to the failure of my driver's side cupholder I decided to use the space to mount my Scangauge. This also allows for far better routing of the OBDII cable than before.

Then I fabricated this little aluminum bracket. Unfortunately I don't yet know how to weld aluminum, so I used JB Weld when necessary. I've left the finish rough for the time being, while testing its function.

The big hole is for the connector, the small hole allows access to the mounting screw:

The Scangauge itself lacks mechanical mounting points, so I had to use 3M mounting tape, which so far is holding up great:

Mod #60, UPDATE
I decided the best place to mount my boost gauge was between the main gauge panel and the MFD. This way it's easy to see out of the corner of my eye and it's away from the airbags. As it turns out it also makes it easier to route the vacuum line and lighting wires.

In this pic you can see the two metal spring clips that hold the air vents in place:

Look closely and you can see the small hole that allows access to one of the spring clips:

The radio comes out easily with two screws:

I routed the vacuum line through a rubber grommet in the engine bay and then through this hole under the aluminum dash cover. Strangely, there is nothing that clips into this hole Then I drilled a small hole that allowed me to route the line in the recess next to the tach:

Thanks to Ron for clarification of the wire colors/functions My wires for the tach light were routed through a gap under the dash and then through the same gap used by the vacuum line.

I made a small aluminum bracket to set the height and angle of the gauge. It adheres to the dash cover with 3M tape and then the gauge adheres to the bracket the same way. This ensures that it can me unmounted with no damage to the car.

Finished (for now):

Next I need to fabricate a cover for the gauge...

Last edited by Palantirion; 10-16-2009 at 12:15 PM.
Old 10-17-2009, 01:37 AM
Autofabricationilizer !

Mein Auto: BMW's,Syclone,Turbo Datsu
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Stygar View Post
Rain. I kept the cut piece in the trunk.
Never had an issue though with rain.
I'd think the whole piece removed would cause hood movement ? Its there as a gasket seal ,yes...but also for holding hood tolerance to a degree. Just a thought....at least fully removed and uncut would let you see what happens without destroying the OEM seal.

Old 10-22-2009, 06:06 PM
Z4 Mvangelist

For what it's worth I finally started uploading vids to YouTube. Behold...the magic of embedding...

Old 10-31-2009, 07:48 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Z4m roadster, E90 320d
it looks nice Can you tell the functions of wires by colour ?

Thanks
Old 10-31-2009, 10:39 AM
Z4 Mvangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by basar13 View Post
it looks nice Can you tell the functions of wires by colour ?

Thanks
-They are typically consistent, ibus can be several different colors. So to be safe I just ask Ron
Old 11-02-2009, 09:07 PM
Z4 Mvangelist

A little update: I took Scatha to Bullet Performance last week and used their smoke machine to leak-test the intake and all related tubes. There were a couple of small leaks, as AJ suspected after hearing about my dyno chart and how the car felt to drive, and I fixed them all.

Today I calibrated my boost gauge (it has a nut for adjustment) and drove the car several times, with power cycling at rest to verify that the boost gauge was still consistent. Out of gear, with the car warm, it pulls about 20 on the vacuum side. Flat out in 3rd gear it boosts up to about 7 1/4 (previously it stopped at 6 1/2). My air cleaner is filthy at the moment, so after I recharge it I'll get the car dyno'd again. The car pulls to redline more strongly than before, but most noticeable is the throttle response and midrange torque.
Old 11-12-2009, 04:58 PM

Mein Auto: 335
Pala, I just saw your radiator gasket thing, FYI there was SUPPOSED to be a gasket there already, not sure where it went.

TCK d/a coilovers, Stoptech 6/4 piston BBK, OEM CSL headers
Old 11-12-2009, 05:25 PM
Z4 Mvangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by blau335 View Post
Pala, I just saw your radiator gasket thing, FYI there was SUPPOSED to be a gasket there already, not sure where it went.
-Please remind me to which part you are referring...
Old 11-20-2009, 06:00 PM
Z4 Mvangelist

*UPDATE*
I have been investigating ways to increase the filter size of the CFR500 kit. Rerouting the filter to a new location is complicated, to say the least. So I did some digging on K&N's website and found a filter that is much larger than the RU-3130 supplied with the kit. One might think that it wouldn't fit, since the RU-3130 is a tight fit to begin with, but RC-4470 has an offset flange that allowed me to rotate the bulk of the larger radius into the empty engine bay below and left of the intake tube. The RC-4470 fits PERFECTLY! It's quite a bit easier to install than the RU-3130 too because it's about a 1/2" shorter. I could never get the RU-3130 on without applied quite a bit of pressure to it, which caused minor wrinkling of the filter screen over multiple installations.

Part RU-3130 Product Specifications
Product Style: Round Tapered Universal Air Filter
Base Outside Diameter: 4.625 in (117 mm)
Flange Inside Diameter: 3.5 in (89 mm)
Flange Length: 0.625 in (16 mm)
Flange Type: Centered
Height: 7 in (178 mm)
Top Outside Diameter: 3.5 in (89 mm)
Top Style: Rubber
Top Material/Finish: None
Filter Re-Oiling Amount: 0.86 oz (26 ml)
Weight: 0.9 lb (0.4 kg)
AREA: 284"sq

Part RC-4470 Product Specifications
Product Style: Round Tapered Universal Air Filter
Base Outside Diameter: 5.75 in (146 mm)
Flange Inside Diameter: 3.25 in (83 mm)
Flange Length: 0.75 in (19 mm)
Flange Offset: 0.5 in (13 mm)
Flange Type: Offset
Height: 6.563 in (167 mm)
Top Outside Diameter: 3.5 in (89 mm)
Top Style: Metal
Top Material/Finish: Chrome
Filter Re-Oiling Amount: 1.11 oz (33 ml)
Weight: 0.8 lb (0.4 kg)
AREA: 333"sq (a 17% increase in filter surface area)

Gotta run...I'll post pics soon.

Last edited by Palantirion; 11-20-2009 at 06:02 PM.
Old 11-29-2009, 03:00 PM
Z4 Mvangelist

Pics of my helmet, which I painted over the past few weeks: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...55#post4723555

Also, here is a pic of the RU-3130 vs. the RC-4470:

The RC-4470, installed:

Last edited by Palantirion; 11-29-2009 at 03:04 PM.
Old 11-29-2009, 04:01 PM

That filter wasn't a restriction (well it was cuz it was dirty as hell). The only thing you're gaining from that larger filter is a decrease in cleaning intervals. If you want some more power make it so you delete that 180 degree intake and put the filter on the back, you'll pick up some pressure and power and it's not going to heat soak anymore (possibly less actually) then where it is now.

But as a disclaimer that's only something someone who can log boost AFRs timing and knock should consider doing.

Old 11-29-2009, 04:35 PM
Z4 Mvangelist

Quote:
That filter wasn't a restriction (well it was cuz it was dirty as hell). The only thing you're gaining from that larger filter is a decrease in cleaning intervals. If you want some more power make it so you delete that 180 degree intake and put the filter on the back, you'll pick up some pressure and power and it's not going to heat soak anymore (possibly less actually) then where it is now.

But as a disclaimer that's only something someone who can log boost AFRs timing and knock should consider doing.
-Interesting, as the professional consensus (filter company reps and installers) back when I got the kit was that the air filter was far too small for the HP of the kit. Dinan's E46 supercharger filter is about twice as large as the one I'm running.
Old 11-29-2009, 04:53 PM

Quote:
-Interesting, as the professional consensus (filter company reps and installers) back when I got the kit was that the air filter was far too small for the HP of the kit. Dinan's E46 supercharger filter is about twice as large as the one I'm running.
Who exactly? The filter that comes with the kit IIRC should not even be a thought past 700hp at the low end guesstimate . Did you ask them to elaborate? Filter companies usually suggest filter sizes based off of cleaning interval not performance, mostly because they know you're not going to clean your filter every few weeks/month like you would have to where the filter just stops hurting which would be necessary for it to not become a performance restriction.

Old 11-29-2009, 06:00 PM
Z4 Mvangelist

Quote:
Who exactly? The filter that comes with the kit IIRC should not even be a thought past 700hp at the low end guesstimate . Did you ask them to elaborate? Filter companies usually suggest filter sizes based off of cleaning interval not performance, mostly because they know you're not going to clean your filter every few weeks/month like you would have to where the filter just stops hurting which would be necessary for it to not become a performance restriction.
-Various racers and mechanics, one rep for a small filter company that tries to one-up K&N. I forget their name, as the conversation was almost a year ago.
Old 11-29-2009, 06:24 PM

Quote:
-Various racers and mechanics, one rep for a small filter company that tries to one-up K&N. I forget their name, as the conversation was almost a year ago.
Not very reputable sources, but I'm sure equally or more so reputable then you feel I am. I would suggest. though. you do your own research from reputable sources in regards to filter sizing though and you'll find filters can be much smaller then what most people say.

Old 11-29-2009, 06:33 PM
///Mtourage

Mein Auto: MPOWER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Schnitzer View Post
Developing through R&D is generally slow and incremental. I don't concur the "not successful" comment at all. We managed to reflect similar temps with 1/2 the exposed area aided with some lift and a low profile.
The new placement of the oil cooler (distancing away from radiator)...is a marginal change at best. Just think about that one for a second....heat exists in one unit-oil cooler (temp A)...and heat exists in another unit -radiator (temp B)

Temp A is generally has a zone of operation as does Temp B. They are not far enough apart in heat soak to really effect one another adversely.

I still feel ,personally....the heat issue begins at the entry of the system..which is ambient air at the air filter + Engine bay heat soak.

Get that filter out of the post heat zone (behind the radiator and away from the Compressor) and into a much cooler zone like we've talked about...and then you'll be starting with less taxation on the over-all charge system.

Think of heat soak like unsprung weight with suspensions. Its like a bad leverage.

I also feel a heat shroud for the compressor will help too...with a cool air feed to that environment as well.

In the mean time,regarding the side vent project..you could always go limp with the design and just have the big assed hole with a finish/trim ring.

Honestly...I feel more lift needs to be produced with a higher profile like I shared with you in order to fully take advantage of whats occurring. But it may create an eye sore somewhat.
Any updates on these parts? Tied pming you bu haven't got a response... Christmas is coming up quick!

07 Z4 M Coupe AW/IR
Old 11-30-2009, 02:57 PM
Z4 Mvangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by F360C View Post
Any updates on these parts? Tied pming you bu haven't got a response... Christmas is coming up quick!
-You PM'd me or Vinny?

Nothing has been done on the side vents due to work, illnesses and holidays. I have tested the latest vent design more, and will post the test data soon. Vinny's back in MO right now and he and I will go over the data and talk more when he gets back to CA.
Old 12-01-2009, 06:42 AM
///Mtourage

Quote:
-You PM'd me or Vinny?

Nothing has been done on the side vents due to work, illnesses and holidays. I have tested the latest vent design more, and will post the test data soon. Vinny's back in MO right now and he and I will go over the data and talk more when he gets back to CA.
PM'd Vinny... he said the front splitter was close to completion about a month ago and he would post some pics. Then he just feel off the map.

07 Z4 M Coupe AW/IR
Old 12-01-2009, 03:04 PM
Z4 Mvangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by F360C View Post
PM'd Vinny... he said the front splitter was close to completion about a month ago and he would post some pics. Then he just feel off the map.
IC. I didn't know his splitter design was close to completion, but then I'm not involved in that project either
Old 12-01-2009, 10:17 PM
Autofabricationilizer !

Mein Auto: BMW's,Syclone,Turbo Datsu
Quote:
IC. I didn't know his splitter design was close to completion, but then I'm not involved in that project either
Not to hijack....but I'm back in SoCal. The splitter DESIGN is completed....but the plug and mold are NOT. I guess that's an easy misinterpretation of words/meaning..

I'll post up as I have a hard part thats authentic and real.

PS> I've been putting in tons of overtime,thats been the biggest delay....well that and the mass murder,lol.

Old 12-02-2009, 08:07 AM
///Mtourage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Schnitzer View Post
Not to hijack....but I'm back in SoCal. The splitter DESIGN is completed....but the plug and mold are NOT. I guess that's an easy misinterpretation of words/meaning..

I'll post up as I have a hard part thats authentic and real.

PS> I've been putting in tons of overtime,thats been the biggest delay....well that and the mass murder,lol.
Great to hear Vinny! Now lets see some pics.... thats all I will need to shoot you a deposit!

07 Z4 M Coupe AW/IR
Old 12-04-2009, 07:55 AM

Mein Auto: Z4 M C, 320d, Eclipse GSX
Quote:
-I've only uninstalled mine. RPI installed it because I wanted to see before/after dynos. It doesn't seem too hard, except for one screw that seems to be a PITA if you are only working through the grill hole. I'm gonna email Eloy and ask for a copy of the installation instructions, could be that I'm just missing something obvious.

-Only the "brake" light would come on yellow, and would clear upon restarting the car. No SES light ever came on.
Codes from Willow are as follows:
Anti-trap protection, electric window unit, front, driver's side
Anti-trap protection, electric window unit, front, passenger's side

2AB4 DME, internal fault: RAM checksum
Undefined fault code 0000
2F65 brake booster, system check
Undefined fault code 2A00

Airbag warning lamp (maybe because I have the passenger airbag turned off?)
Outside temperature sensor
Undefined fault code 22

93B2 Safety battery terminal (this one pre-dates the track day, and also won't clear)

E5C7 K-CAN communication fault

5DA3 Wheel-speed sensor: plausibility, front right
5D93 Wheel-speed sensor, plausibility, front left
5E19, Engine management, interface

All faults were cleared except the battery terminal and airbag faults.

Hi all
just 2 presentation words : this is Luca from Italy, owner of a Z4M CFR500, I bought Roman's kit last winter.

Sometimes I experienced failures very similar to yours:
in 4th gear, at about 7500 rpm, the engine "die" , the DSC and Brake lights turns on.
The engine, if I push the clutch, revs between 1000 and 1500 rpm, and no revs up if I push the accelerator pedal.
After all, if I (at about 110 mph...) turn off the ignition key and start the engine again, all the lights disappears...
The BMW diagnostic tool said :
DSC 5E19 interface : error not present now - B3450_L2_MS
DME 2F65 Brake booster - B1214_S54SSP
DME 2AB4 internal RAM checksum error - internal error B1214_S54SSP

The strange behaviour began just installed the ESS kit, and is not continuos, happens sometimes.

Called AJ, said "check all the installation, never heard something about"

During spring, summer and fall never happened: about 10 trackdays and the car was very fast and zero problems. Now in late fall, the behavoiur bagan again,2 nights ago was impossible go up about 90mph

Now the bmw check tool says "communication between DME and DSC impossible"

I begin to think is ambient temperature related.

The question is: AJ solved your problem or you get still the problem described in your old post ?

thanks to all

Luca
Old 12-04-2009, 08:54 AM
Z4 Mvangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cube View Post
Hi all
just 2 presentation words : this is Luca from Italy, owner of a Z4M CFR500, I bought Roman's kit last winter.

Sometimes I experienced failures very similar to yours:
in 4th gear, at about 7500 rpm, the engine "die" , the DSC and Brake lights turns on.
The engine, if I push the clutch, revs between 1000 and 1500 rpm, and no revs up if I push the accelerator pedal.
After all, if I (at about 110 mph...) turn off the ignition key and start the engine again, all the lights disappears...
The BMW diagnostic tool said :
DSC 5E19 interface : error not present now - B3450_L2_MS
DME 2F65 Brake booster - B1214_S54SSP
DME 2AB4 internal RAM checksum error - internal error B1214_S54SSP

The strange behaviour began just installed the ESS kit, and is not continuos, happens sometimes.

Called AJ, said "check all the installation, never heard something about"

During spring, summer and fall never happened: about 10 trackdays and the car was very fast and zero problems. Now in late fall, the behavoiur bagan again,2 nights ago was impossible go up about 90mph

Now the bmw check tool says "communication between DME and DSC impossible"

I begin to think is ambient temperature related.

The question is: AJ solved your problem or you get still the problem described in your old post ?

thanks to all

Luca
-I still have the problem, but it only happens at the track. When mine happens it also throws the brake booster and RAM error codes.