Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E85 / E86 Z4 (2003-2008)

E85 / E86 Z4 (2003-2008)
E85 Z4 Roadster, E86 Z4 Coupe, E85 Z4 M Roadster, and E86 Z4 M Coupe talk with our BMW gurus here.

Old 01-28-2011, 05:00 PM
Z4 Mvangelist

Mein Auto: 2003 M5-S2, 2002 540iT-S2
Quote:
Originally Posted by STIHLBOLTS View Post
Do they run the same class as you do?
-There are no classes in HPDEs. Drivers are grouped by experience and expected lap times. No one's racing, that would undermine the purpose of an HPDE. And Scatha's not a race car anyway. But if you were to club race a Z4 M Coupe it would probably be down a class from a C5 Z06 due to power/weight, but she'd still be quicker on most tracks.
Old 01-29-2011, 05:36 AM
Hat's On, Tops Down!

Mein Auto: 2008 Z4MR
I checked out this web site, http://www.nasaproracing.com/hpde/ I kept wondering what HPDE was. I got pretty excited after reading up, then pretty quickly realized there is no track even close to me where I can run my car. South Georgia is loaded with dirt tracks, drag tracks but no road courses.

Oh well, there's always sunday drives in the country.

Best regards

2008 Z4M Roadster
BMWCCA/ZSCCA Member
Old 01-29-2011, 06:09 AM
Underway on Nuclear Power

Mein Auto: Me
Quote:
I checked out this web site, http://www.nasaproracing.com/hpde/ I kept wondering what HPDE was. I got pretty excited after reading up, then pretty quickly realized there is no track even close to me where I can run my car. South Georgia is loaded with dirt tracks, drag tracks but no road courses.

Best regards

You are close to many good tracks... You will just have to drive a little.

Check out CMP (Carolina Motorsports Park) and Road America for starters...

Road America for christ sakes... Is Awesome....

Got to this site, register and search for the nearest driving event you can sign up for near you.

http://www.motorsportreg.com/
Furthermore, does legality establish morality?
Slavery was legal; apartheid was legal; Stalinist, Nazi, and Maoist purges were legal. Clearly, the fact of legality does not justify these crimes. Legality, alone, cannot be the talisman of morel people. - Walter E. Williams
Old 01-29-2011, 06:14 AM
Hat's On, Tops Down!

The Carliona track is 7 hours and Road Atlanta is 5-6 depending on traffic.

2008 Z4M Roadster
BMWCCA/ZSCCA Member
Old 01-29-2011, 06:27 AM

Quote:
The Carliona track is 7 hours and Road Atlanta is 5-6 depending on traffic.

So...........

I plan on a six hour trip to CMP and an eight hour trip to Road America this summer....
I would think that RA is closer for you than for me... for me it's 585 miles....
Slavery was legal; apartheid was legal; Stalinist, Nazi, and Maoist purges were legal. Clearly, the fact of legality does not justify these crimes. Legality, alone, cannot be the talisman of morel people. - Walter E. Williams
Old 01-29-2011, 01:54 PM
Z4 Mvangelist

Quote:

Best regards
-Road Atlanta is worth the drive. It's one of my favorite road courses (drove my M5 there back in 2005), great rhythm and flow. Since it's a long drive for you, plan it as a weekend trip. Get two days at the track, which is always better for learning anyway since the brain processes a lot while you sleep. I wouldn't be surprised if there were some FL tracks similarly accessible. And what about Barber Motorsports Park in Birmingham? Long drive I'm sure, but would make a great weekend.
Old 01-29-2011, 02:51 PM

Most of my HPDE's are two day events. More cost effective..
I plan on a three or four day trip to RA in Nov. The wife and I go. She does not want to drive. She just walks around, makes new friend and networks...plus my best friend and track buddy is going with his wife so both of them just pal around while we drive. He just can't decide if he is taking the Miata or the Corvette.

My home track is VIR and go there a lot since it's only three hours away. The new vehicle dynamics track, NCCAR is only 1.5 hours away.. With both of these tracks, we come off the track around four or five o'clock and just drive home.

It's a great way to get rid of any excess stress that the doctors say we all have too much of.

End of thread highjack...

Last edited by shipkiller; 01-29-2011 at 02:52 PM.
Old 02-01-2011, 06:11 PM

Mein Auto: 99 M Coupe
Quote:

Best regards
Depending where in south Georgia you likely aren't more than 3 hours from Roebling Road, Road Atlanta, or Barber Motorsports Park. Find a club that runs events at one of these tracks and get involved.
Old 02-02-2011, 04:44 AM

Mein Auto: Lots of different stuff
Quote:

Best regards
Roebling Road is your best bet. Nasa has schools there on a regular basis. The First Coast chapter of the BMW CCA (Jacksonville to Daytona) uses that track whenever they have schools. If you're on the west side of GA, the Heart of Dixie Chapter in B'ham uses Barber for their schools. That's a fun place too. The Peachtree chapter (all of GA) uses Road Atlanta. They have an event coming up in early March. All these chapters have websites you can check out. Start at bmwcca.org to find them.
'14 X1 M sport 3.5 Alpine White
'91 M5 Jet Black
'01 M3 Alpine White
Old 02-02-2011, 07:12 AM
Hat's On, Tops Down!

I live in the perfect place, I am 4 hours from Daytona, 5 hours from Atlanta, and 6 hours from Birmingham. Nothing like being in the middle!

I am going to be down for the Daytona 500 in a couple of weeks, I will see if I have time to find the club down there.

Thanks for all the pointers!

Best regards

2008 Z4M Roadster
BMWCCA/ZSCCA Member
Old 02-03-2011, 09:15 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 335i Dinan 3, Z4M Coupe
Unfortunately you can't run with the BMW CCA with the roadster, insurance requirments, at Road Atlanta. You can check with the Heart of Dixie chapter for their rules at Barber. The PCA does events at Roebling and they do allow roadsters.

'03 Ford Explorer "the big girl"
'6 330i "the Major"
'06 Z4M Coupe "Strider"
'07 Dinan 3 "little blackie"
Old 02-03-2011, 11:54 AM
Z ENTHUSIAST

Mein Auto: 06 3.0 si Z4R
You might want to try the Porsche group in your area. They will most likely let you run with them ( they do out here)
Old 02-03-2011, 12:02 PM
Z4 Mvangelist

Panoz ran the school at Road Atlanta when I ran there, and as far as I can remember they allowed convertibles. There was at least one Viper.
Old 02-03-2011, 08:29 PM
Z4 Mvangelist

For those of you not getting the BMWCCA LA Chapter newsletter Whispering Bomb, Scatha got a nice article on the back cover for the inaugural "Member Spotlight" section. I look forward to seeing future editions.

Last edited by Palantirion; 02-03-2011 at 08:31 PM.
Old 02-04-2011, 06:47 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 335i Dinan 3, Z4M Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palantirion View Post
Panoz ran the school at Road Atlanta when I ran there, and as far as I can remember they allowed convertibles. There was at least one Viper.
Sorry, I wasn't clear. Other groups including Chin, MVP, Dark Side, and PCA allow roadsters at Road Atlanta. The CCA doesn't. I apologise for brevity....

'03 Ford Explorer "the big girl"
'6 330i "the Major"
'06 Z4M Coupe "Strider"
'07 Dinan 3 "little blackie"
Old 02-04-2011, 09:31 AM
Hat's On, Tops Down!

I find it interesting that other groups would and BMW would not.

Best regards

2008 Z4M Roadster
BMWCCA/ZSCCA Member
Old 02-14-2011, 10:27 AM
Z4 Mvangelist

Zach Mayne, the guy who wrote/shot Scatha's articles for Bimmer and Performance BMW magazines, informed me that Scatha was nominated for Car of The Year in Performance BMW. Unfortunately voting has already ended, and due to the time lag between US and the UK when it comes to print publications I won't know the result for sure for at least another month. Win or not (I'm presuming not), it's an honor (and surprise) to be nominated.

Last edited by Palantirion; 02-14-2011 at 10:31 AM.
Old 02-17-2011, 03:40 PM
Autofabricationilizer !

Mein Auto: BMW's,Syclone,Turbo Datsu
Quote:
Zach Mayne, the guy who wrote/shot Scatha's articles for Bimmer and Performance BMW magazines, informed me that Scatha was nominated for Car of The Year in Performance BMW. Unfortunately voting has already ended, and due to the time lag between US and the UK when it comes to print publications I won't know the result for sure for at least another month. Win or not (I'm presuming not), it's an honor (and surprise) to be nominated.
Well congrats are in order then !! I know my coupe is lightyears away from being noticed by any mag !

Old 05-13-2011, 02:36 PM
Z4 Mvangelist

In case anyone has been curious why this thread has been so quiet over the past 3 months, go take a look at MOD #71 in this new thread: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...28#post6063528
Old 05-20-2011, 06:40 PM
Z4 Mvangelist

Scatha has new wheels. Sort of. These will not replace the RG-Rs, but will augment them. I have found myself in the situation that Scatha now is requested for more shows than before, and r-comps just don't have the post-track tread thickness for repeated long distance highway travel. So I bought a set of Michelin Super Sports and these are, for the time being, on a set of Apex ARC-8s.

They are stylistically a cross between the RG-R and MORR's VS7. Apex's Hyper Black is very similar to BBS's Diamond Black. The ARC-8 is actually lighter than the RG-R, by a small amount, and just as strong. But it's less than 1/2 the price.

Eventually I will refinish the RG-Rs and they will be the "show" wheels, and the ARC-8s will be the track wheels.

Pics of the ARC-8 and RG-R next to each other:

The ARC-8s have MUCH more space behind the spokes for a BBK, so much more that I took off the 18mm spacers I run with the RG-Rs and the ARC-8s still cleared the calipers by more than the RG-Rs with the spacers! But I wasn't sure about the ARC-8's clearance to the strut when not using the 18mm spacer, so I reinstalled it when I mounted the wheels. Below are frontal shots of the car spliced together, one side has the RG-R and one the ARC-8. They stick out the same amount with the same spacers.

Scatha, with the ARC-8s:
Old 05-21-2011, 12:51 PM
S54=Living on the Edge

Mein Auto: 2007 M Coupe, 2004 Audi T
Palantirion - your art work on Scatha is awesome. How is the ESS supercharger on the car holding up with regular track days? Is the car just as solid and reliable as it is in NA form (regular maintenence of course)?

STIHLBOLTS - If you can make it to a 2 day track event at Road Atlanta, you will enjoy your car like you never can on a public road. I highly recommend it - I made the 880'ish mile (one way) trip last year and plan to do it again this year. Brilliant track.

The esses ...

tnsbruce chasing me down ...
Euro headers w/relocated sensors|RPI scoop|K&N panel filter|KW V3s|OEM Strut Brace|RE RSMs|Zeckhausen CDV|SpeedBleeders|Stoptech Brake Lines|StopTech 4-pot BBK all around|SSR GT2-H 19x8.5/19x10|Potenza RE-11s
Texas Mile (March, 2010): 155.4 mph

Last edited by pal; 05-21-2011 at 12:54 PM.
Old 05-22-2011, 07:00 AM
Z4 Mvangelist

Btw, I just realized yesterday that Scatha is on street tires for the first time in 4 years, 85 days! (since the OEM Contis) Can you believe this is the same car!?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pal View Post
Palantirion - your art work on Scatha is awesome. How is the ESS supercharger on the car holding up with regular track days? Is the car just as solid and reliable as it is in NA form (regular maintenence of course)?

STIHLBOLTS - If you can make it to a 2 day track event at Road Atlanta, you will enjoy your car like you never can on a public road. I highly recommend it - I made the 880'ish mile (one way) trip last year and plan to do it again this year. Brilliant track.
-Thanks. The CFR-500 is holding up very well. Temps are great, limp mode is basically gone. I got a Blackstone report on my tranny fluid at it's first change. This showed above average aluminum, and they said that it may not mean anything if the number declines on the next service.

I second your feelings about Road Atlanta. I got to track my M5 there and it was an awesome track to drive! 2-day school would be better than my 1-day, since all people new to the track must do lead/follow for their first day.

p.s. Love the pics of the 2 MCs!

Last edited by Palantirion; 05-22-2011 at 07:02 AM.
Old 05-22-2011, 07:33 AM
S54=Living on the Edge

Mein Auto: 2007 M Coupe, 2004 Audi T
Quote:
-Thanks. The CFR-500 is holding up very well. Temps are great, limp mode is basically gone. I got a Blackstone report on my tranny fluid at it's first change. This showed above average aluminum, and they said that it may not mean anything if the number declines on the next service.

I second your feelings about Road Atlanta. I got to track my M5 there and it was an awesome track to drive! 2-day school would be better than my 1-day, since all people new to the track must do lead/follow for their first day.

p.s. Love the pics of the 2 MCs!
Interesting Re: transmission wear. Have you been sending your engine oil out to Blackstone as well? Given the propensity for bearing wear on the S54s, I would expect the additional power from the supercharger to make that worse.

As I get a bit better tracking this car (my first RWD car and the MC is a tricky one) I find myself running out of 4th gear 3/4ths of the way on long straights - car has no pull in 5th and I end up coasting in 4th to the braking zone. I like the stock gearing so adding power is starting to creep into the back of my brain - I know, I should work on improving my driving before that

The first session at Road Atlanta was scary and very humbling - but we got faster by the 3rd session. It was a blast after that.

Most of my track pics are here - some great ones taken by a professional outfit that visits VIR and Road Atlanta during their off season.

http://dertt.fotki.com/m-coupe/track-events/
Euro headers w/relocated sensors|RPI scoop|K&N panel filter|KW V3s|OEM Strut Brace|RE RSMs|Zeckhausen CDV|SpeedBleeders|Stoptech Brake Lines|StopTech 4-pot BBK all around|SSR GT2-H 19x8.5/19x10|Potenza RE-11s
Texas Mile (March, 2010): 155.4 mph
Old 05-22-2011, 06:06 PM
///M Coupe Pilot

Mein Auto: '08 Z4M and '03 530i
Pal - perhaps we can get a 2 for 1 ESS special on superchargers? I too feel the need for more power...

Saw 2 ///M Coupes on the Nordschleife today one blue that blew right past me and a black one in the parking lot. Anyone here?
3.91 diff | Ground-Control Sway Bars | RRT Rear Control Arms | UUC Short Shifter | KW Club Sport | StopTech BBK |

Old 05-23-2011, 01:34 PM
Z4 Mvangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by pal View Post
Interesting Re: transmission wear. Have you been sending your engine oil out to Blackstone as well? Given the propensity for bearing wear on the S54s, I would expect the additional power from the supercharger to make that worse.

As I get a bit better tracking this car (my first RWD car and the MC is a tricky one) I find myself running out of 4th gear 3/4ths of the way on long straights - car has no pull in 5th and I end up coasting in 4th to the braking zone. I like the stock gearing so adding power is starting to creep into the back of my brain - I know, I should work on improving my driving before that

The first session at Road Atlanta was scary and very humbling - but we got faster by the 3rd session. It was a blast after that.

Most of my track pics are here - some great ones taken by a professional outfit that visits VIR and Road Atlanta during their off season.

http://dertt.fotki.com/m-coupe/track-events/
-Engine oil has been tested twice since the CFR-500 and shows no unusual wear.

Btw, new pics are on www.myartcar.com from the BMWCCA events at Specialized Coatings and San Diego's Clean Car Contest. Scatha is also now featured on Just A Car Guy, one of the web's top automotive blogs.

Last edited by Palantirion; 05-29-2011 at 03:20 PM.