Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)

E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)
E36/7 Z3 Roadster, Z3 coupe, Z3 M Roadster and Z3 M Coupe talk with our gurus here.

Old 01-04-2003, 11:22 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: //M Coupes
Interior - tools and cluster...

Getting ready to strip the interior of my coupe - everything but the dash. I've done the back before, all the way to the center partition and a-pillars, but never the center console area, doors, or footwell. Is there anything in particular I should be aware of - tricks / tips? Any special tools (ex. BMW radio removal tool) required or recommended?

Also, is it possible to purchase an empty instrument cluster? IE - the box that the gauges are inside. The parts disk shows only the cluster as a complete assembly (p/n 62 11 2 497 691). I'll be replacing the stock dash with a Stack 8100M (www.stackinc.com/st8100.html) and would like to locate it within an original housing while preserving the resale value of the cluster in the car.

Of course, I'm assuming the gauges will come out of the cluster... never had one in my hand...
Advertisement
Old 01-05-2003, 09:01 AM
A Clean Windshield

Mein Auto: 2000 Imola M Coupe
Dash Mod

I like the idea of changing the gauges. I would think the change would work if the height of the new gauge will fit in there. I was looking at something along these lines. Your Idad seems perfect of autocross rally and track. Very nice.

I like the look of the Z8 gauges. they seem to be the right size to swap for the stock ones. I would have to fabricate a new panel for them but whow are they nice, plus the clock is contained in the tach so I could add the oil pressure gauge in the clock slot and not have to add the A pillar mount.

Dinan suspension, M rotors /Axxis pads
Eurosport Cam Kit 1, touch lane change
Zaino polish, Beach Sand
Garys mirror adapter, S54 Oil Cooler
seat tilt coupling nuts, spare tire

"life's to short to drink cheap beer"

Old 01-05-2003, 10:48 PM
19,585 Miles

Mein Auto: Z4 M Coupe 6LL93033
Re: Interior - tools and cluster...

Quote:
Originally posted by DannO

Also, is it possible to purchase an empty instrument cluster
No.
Old 01-05-2003, 10:57 PM
19,585 Miles

Re: Interior - tools and cluster...

Quote:
I'll be replacing the stock dash with a Stack 8100M (www.stackinc.com/st8100.html) and would like to locate it within an original housing while preserving the resale value of the cluster in the car.
Of course, I'm assuming the gauges will come out of the cluster... never had one in my hand...
Not sure you can do this unless the unit you are adding is thin.
Plus the cluster has some ingots outgots stuff not sure you can eliminate. Is this the track car?
I have a cluster that I've been experimenting with. I can send it to you so you can see whats whats. You pay shipping both ways.
Old 01-06-2003, 09:04 AM

Yes, track car. The instrument cluster will be removed and replaced with this dash. I was just hoping to fit it in a stock housing out of respect.

What important in/out stuff might I have overlooked? I assumed it is all gauges and indicators.

I'll take you up on the loaner cluster. Let me know the shipping costs. Thanks for offering!

While I've got your attention - how do I get a radio code? The guy that sold the car to me doesn't have it.
Old 01-06-2003, 09:32 AM

I got started last night. Pulled everything out of the trunk area, center partition is removed, sound insulation, etc. Now I'm starting on the front and working back. Couple questions:

- How do you get the center console / oddments tray out? I've removed the 2 screws on either side of the tranny tunnel, the two screws behind the radio, the screw under the armrest area, and the 2 screws on either side of the tunnel near the center partition. All this per the pics starting with oddments*.jpg on Ron's site. It's very loose but still seems attached.

- How do I disconnect the radio? That connector is a beast. I followed the picture on the radio and levered part up, but am at a loss... does the whole connector come out or just the center part (inside what I levered up)?

- How do I remove the e-brake handle?

- If the radio has a blinking red light on it, is that enough to conclude that the car has an alarm system? I'm not sure and the key is a standard one, without arming buttons. If it has an alarm, do I need to do something before removing the radio?

I'll be setting up my website today, and will post pictures soon if anyone is interested.

If anyone needs any interior components for an '00 M Coupe (cosmos black / black), I'm your man.
Old 01-06-2003, 10:41 PM
19,585 Miles

Yes, track car. The instrument cluster will be removed and replaced with this dash. I was just hoping to fit it in a stock housing out of respect.
What important in/out stuff might I have overlooked? I assumed it is all gauges and indicators.
>>>Some stuff with the DME. With it being a track car, maybe OK. Look at the ETM group 62 if you have it. If not, I'll send you a pic.
I'll take you up on the loaner cluster. Let me know the shipping costs. Thanks for offering!
>>>Whatever is on the package when you receive it. I want it back in a timely manner.
While I've got your attention - how do I get a radio code? The guy that sold the car to me doesn't have it.
>>>You have to go to the dealer with the radio serial number. It's on the radio. You can also get it by pressing buttons on the radio but I don't remember the sequence. Same set up you use for GAL, I think.

Last edited by Ron Stygar; 01-06-2003 at 10:43 PM.
Old 01-07-2003, 08:45 AM

Ok, on the cluster. No problem on turnaround. I only need it for a day or so and will get it right back to you. Thanks very much. I'll pp you the money when I get it.

I only have the ETK and TIS. Would appreciate a screencap of the panel you describe.

Thanks for the radio code info.
What's GAL?

BTW, is the coupe's computer programmable for "revolutions per minute" with changes to the rear tires?
Old 01-07-2003, 06:36 PM
19,585 Miles

I only have the ETK and TIS. Would appreciate a screencap of the panel you describe.
>>>OK.
What's GAL?
>>>Speed adjustable volume.
BTW, is the coupe's computer programmable for "revolutions per minute" with changes to the rear tires?
>>>Not that I know of. There is a K factor but I don't know how to change it. I moved the needle on my speedometer to make it right. The speed spider inside the differential develops nine pulses per wheel revolution.
Old 01-07-2003, 07:05 PM
19,585 Miles

I got started last night. Pulled everything out of the trunk area, center partition is removed, sound insulation, etc. Now I'm starting on the front and working back. Couple questions:
>>>Did you remove the headliner? If so, would you look and see if there is a part number on the antenna amplifier which is below the roof right under the whip antenna.
- How do you get the center console / oddments tray out? I've removed the 2 screws on either side of the tranny tunnel, the two screws behind the radio, the screw under the armrest area, and the 2 screws on either side of the tunnel near the center partition. All this per the pics starting with oddments*.jpg on Ron's site. It's very loose but still seems attached.
>>>Did you remove the gong, OBDII and flasher wiring? Check out the pics that begin with consolenot.
- How do I disconnect the radio? That connector is a beast. I followed the picture on the radio and levered part up, but am at a loss... does the whole connector come out or just the center part (inside what I levered up)?
>>>The whole connector moves back.

Last edited by Ron Stygar; 01-07-2003 at 07:07 PM.
Old 01-07-2003, 07:10 PM
19,585 Miles

- How do I remove the e-brake handle?
>>>Heat it up and pull.
- If the radio has a blinking red light on it, is that enough to conclude that the car has an alarm system?
>>>No. That is part of the radio.
Alarm module is behind the glove box if you have one.
I'll be setting up my website today, and will post pictures soon if anyone is interested.
>>>I'm interested
Old 01-08-2003, 01:03 PM

Thanks, Ron. Making good progress now. I haven't gotten to stripping the headliner yet, but I will soon. I'd be happy to look at the antenna amp for you then.

Here's where I'm at:

The subject:

Weight reduction program, as of this morning:

(do I get some red badge of courage from the Maddox brothers for this post? )

Parts removed:

(see anything there you like? let me know - it's all for sale)

No wonder the coupes have such a big butt - look at all the junk in that trunk!

I haven't weighed it yet, but will soon. Definitely over the 100lb mark now, and quickly approaching 200, I'd guess..
Old 01-08-2003, 01:05 PM

Couple of questions have come up along the way...

What is this battery connector for? First is the track car, with the connector loose and an aftermarket battery terminal, second is my 01 Coupe with the stock setup plus a lead for the track trailer lights.

Ron, here's the extra phone antenna cable you mentioned in the antenna thread. What's the other connector for? It was loose / unused under my console.

Two more ufc's (unidentified freakin' connectors):

I assume this is the gong? It was also loose under my console. I assume it's normally mounted on/near the little plastic cover near the driver's right leg.

Oopsie. The guys that rebuilt the car got a little ghetto with the steering wheel. Is this a harness that can be removed and replaced? I'll be selling the wheel, but I don't think it will fetch much in this condition. The car came with a new airbag, but it obviously wasn't hooked up correctly.

I assume this is the steering column side of the airbag hookup? What does that screw hold in? I assume it's not supposed to be that loose...

Next on the to be stripped list: door panels, seats, kick panels, glovebox, carpet and insulation, etc.

Only one panel remains in the rear and it's quite vexing - the lower trunk surround. The one that wraps around the trunk entrance and includes the plastic frame around the trunk latch, as well as the interior panel. I've found and removed some screws, but it's not budging. The hard plastic trunk surround has a bunch of what look like screw covers, but I can't for the life of me figure out how to remove them without badly damaging the part.
Old 01-08-2003, 01:09 PM

Mein Auto: 01 Mc, 08 M3, Motorrad x2
Looks good.

How do you have beige seats in a black interior? If you ask me, the beige interiors all should have had black carpet, trim, dash, and center console. But no one asked me.

I will buy your A/C switch and one of your heated seat switches if you are selling them and interested.

AndyM... notice the gong has a different part number for leather or plastic. Let me know how your grille mod works.

14 S1000R | 09 F650GS | 08 E90 M3 | 06 M Coupe | 01 M coupe
Old 01-08-2003, 01:27 PM
Suede Master

Mein Auto: '02 3.0i Z3 Coupe
Quote:
Originally posted by JonM

AndyM... notice the gong has a different part number for leather or plastic. Let me know how your grille mod works.
Yep. Will have to see if I can get the grill modded. Too much to do today to work on it though (damn Beige Mk2s!!!! )

08 E82 135i | 02 Z3 Coupe | 01 R1100S
Old 01-08-2003, 01:32 PM

Mein Auto: 01 Mc, 08 M3, Motorrad x2

Shift knob connector is the 2-pin one.

The small one is ash tray illumination. The large one I am not so sure. It could be the X400 phone connector, but I cannot verify the wire colors off the top of my head. Violet/White looks familiar.

That is the gong. Do you want to sell it?

14 S1000R | 09 F650GS | 08 E90 M3 | 06 M Coupe | 01 M coupe
Old 01-08-2003, 02:36 PM
Suede Master

Quote:
Parts removed:

I'm interested in some stuff. Drop me an email and we can talk pricing.

andymaddux@leatherz.com

Old 01-08-2003, 02:45 PM
19,585 Miles

Quote:
Originally posted by JonM
[IMG]

The large one I am not so sure. It could be the X400 phone connector, but I cannot verify the wire colors off the top of my head. Violet/White looks familiar.
Phone power/mute connector X400 it is.
Old 01-08-2003, 03:26 PM
TD

Mein Auto:
Quote:

Parts removed:

Please PM me or email me. I am interested (in what depends on what exactly is in that pic and what's not spoken for yet).

PM me with the button below or email me at tdm3@comcast.net.

Thanks.

Tom

Last edited by TD; 01-08-2003 at 03:28 PM.
Old 01-08-2003, 05:00 PM

Quote:
How do you have beige seats in a black interior?
Jon, the seats are from a 2.8l z3. The car was rebuilt for a guy that wanted to register it for street use in CA (so had to pass inspection -> seats) but convert it soon after to a race car. So the seats were a temporary solution for him.

Thanks to everyone for the part identification!

Those of you that expressed an interest in parts should anticipate an email from me.
Old 01-10-2003, 09:25 AM

Ron - I pulled the headliner this morning, but had to head in to work before checking on the part number you were asking about. I'm looking for something in the radio antenna area, correct?
Old 01-10-2003, 09:27 AM

Is it possible to pull the door panels without this tool:

Old 01-10-2003, 09:40 AM
Suede Master

Quote:
Is it possible to pull the door panels without this tool:
Yes. I use a right angle dental pick from Craftsman. They have a very nice set that includes the right angle dental pick, magnetic pick-up tool, grabber and small mirror for less than $20.00. I use these tools more than anything else in my tool chest.

Remove the 'joysitck'-it pulls straight off. Using the right angle tool, hook the inside of the mirror switch and pull it straight out. I can take pics later if you need them.

Old 01-10-2003, 10:18 AM
19,585 Miles

Quote:
I'm looking for something in the radio antenna area, correct?
Yes. Right below the whip, inside is a 2.5 by 4 inch silver box (amplifier). Part number is on the bottom of it. The whip attaches to the top of this box.
Old 01-10-2003, 10:48 PM

More stuff removed tonight. Seats, rear wiper, rear license plate holder (just to see what it would look like w/out), rear carpeting, passenger side airbag, driver side knee bolster, washer resivour, etc. Headliner was removed this morning before work.

Some pics:

If you ever wondered what your M Coupe would look like without the rear wiper and license plate holder:

(M badge is missing)

Sans carpet:

What's behind the glovebox:

Ron, here's what you were looking for:

The part number is 65 21 8 401 358. Hope that helps.