Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 01-30-2007, 06:25 AM
Transporter

Mein Auto: E39 528iT & SPEC E30
Self leveling suspension problems

Recently purchased a 99 528iT 5sp man w/ sport package. It has 135k miles and all maintenance records. The Waterpump was changed at 75K but unfortunately the radiator was never replaced so it is due to blow anytime.

The current problem is the passenger side air-spring had a leak so I replaced that on Saturday, and no problems Sat or Sun (driver air-srping was replaced a year ago.) Yesterday and today the self-leveling idiot light has turned on. When I look at the car it looks to be lower on the passenger side. Are there sensors on both the pass and driver side to tell it how to self-level? Are the Xenon sensors also used for the self-leveling suspension?

I also want to upgrade the suspension and saw a few threads where the 540iT guys have H&R springs up front and Koni's front and back. Is there a similar setup for the 6cyl? So far all I found was Dinan, which I have heard good things about, but are expensive. They recommend using the rear sport shocks and the stealer wants $160 per shock. Where is a good place to purchase the rear sport shocks for that car. Bav Auto only lists the standard shock.

Any suggestions on the 6cyl suspension upgrades?
Advertisement
Old 02-11-2007, 02:23 PM
in HIS hands :)

Mein Auto: 03 m sport 540it
hi trentmw,

gee - i feel bad you havent gotten some answer. i'll give it my best shot, at your own risk. in blue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trentmw
Recently purchased a 99 528iT 5sp man w/ sport package. It has 135k miles and all maintenance records. The Waterpump was changed at 75K but unfortunately the radiator was never replaced so it is due to blow anytime.

The current problem is the passenger side air-spring had a leak so I replaced that on Saturday, and no problems Sat or Sun (driver air-srping was replaced a year ago.) Yesterday and today the self-leveling idiot light has turned on. When I look at the car it looks to be lower on the passenger side. Are there sensors on both the pass and driver side to tell it how to self-level? I BELIEVE SO. Are the Xenon sensors also used for the self-leveling suspension? DONT KNOW ABOUT THAT.

I also want to upgrade the suspension and saw a few threads where the 540iT guys have H&R springs up front and Koni's front and back. Is there a similar setup for the 6cyl? I'M **GUESSING** IF YOU HAVE THE SELF-LEVELLING IT SHLD NOT BE THAT DIFFERENT. So far all I found was Dinan, which I have heard good things about, but are expensive. I WILL DEFINITELY SAY THAT MY DINANS ARE AWESOME - FIRM ENOUGH, BUT COMPLIANT ON SMOOTH ROADS AT LOWER SPEEDS, ABLE TO SWALLOW UP SPEED BUMPS AT 20-25-30 MPH WITH NARY A COMPLAINT. They recommend using the rear sport shocks and the stealer wants $160 per shock. Where is a good place to purchase the rear sport shocks for that car. CALL MY SHOP - BMS IN SANTA ANA, CALIF, 1625 E Saint Gertrude Place
Santa Ana, CA 92705
(714) 429-0257 THEY WERE THE ONES WHO SOURCED THE REAR KONIS FROM HOLLAND FOR ME.
-Bav Auto only lists the standard shock.

Any suggestions on the 6cyl suspension upgrades?
GIVE THEM A CALL - TELL THEM JACK ASKED YOU TO CALL THEM. LOOK FOR CHRIS OR HERM. THEY CAN BE 'COLORFUL' WITH THEIR LANGUAGE, BUT THEY'RE GREAT PEOPLE I'VE NOW KNOWN FOR CLOSE TO A YEAR, AND A LOT OF WORK ON MY TOURING.

ALL THE BEST.

wife's '09 e91

"The LORD gave, and the LORD has taken away, blessed be the name of the LORD."
Old 02-15-2007, 08:44 PM
Resident Vulcan-Live Long

Mein Auto: 2002 530i sport
If a 2000 528 I has those Sport rims and the M steering wheel. Does that mean its sport package? do all sport packages have self leveling suspensions? sorry to ask Q's but do ALL bmws have self leveling packages? (528)
Old 02-16-2007, 01:52 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: e39 touring, e46 ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by SleekBMW View Post
If a 2000 528 I has those Sport rims and the M steering wheel. Does that mean its sport package? do all sport packages have self leveling suspensions? sorry to ask Q's but do ALL bmws have self leveling packages? (528)
Just the wagons with sport packages have the self-leveling suspension.
Old 02-16-2007, 02:59 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '11 335d, '00 540iT
Not true

On the 6-cyl wagons self leveling was an individual option. On the 540iT, it comes with it, not an option.