Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 1 Series / 2 Series > E82 / E88 1 Series (2008 - 2013)

E82 / E88 1 Series (2008 - 2013)
BMWs throw back to the iconic 2002, with a renewed form and function. The smallest car in BMW's line up but still packs a punch. Available in coupe or convertible, powered by either an inline 6 in the 128 or the twin turbo rocket sled 135.

Old 01-26-2007, 06:48 PM
Special Agent

Mein Auto: Depends on the day!
US gets facelift and cabrio

Here is the link for more info!

http://www.mwerks.com/artman/publish...cle_1176.shtml
2006 325i ED 8/29/05: Retired

Advertisement
Old 01-27-2007, 05:33 AM
BMW FETISH!!!

Send a message via MSN to DominguesE30
Mein Auto: `97 BMW 318is
not bad not bad!
Well done on finding this info

Beeeeeeeee Eeeeem Double-YOU!!!!
Old 01-27-2007, 09:12 AM
Special Agent

Mein Auto: Depends on the day!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapezzul View Post
Here is the info from the link.... since not many people have replied I was suprised since this is great news!

America Will Get BMW 1 Series Coupe and Convertible

First models may arrive in early 2008

Jan 24, 2007

Bryan Joslin

Ever since BMW debuted the 1 Series in Europe in 2004, Stateside BMW enthusiasts have been asking if and when we will get a 1 Series. The answers to that basic question have been cloudy for a long time, but they seem to be getting clearer by the day.

BMW officials have consistently stated that the U.S. would not see the 1 Series until after it had received its mid-cycle updates. The carmaker traditionally utilizes 7-year product cycles with mild styling changes in the third year. Last week BMW released photos of the facelifted five-door hatch, along with pictures of the first new derivative, a three-door hatch. These will both be officially unveiled at the Geneva Motor Show in early March and arrive in European showrooms thereafter.

But the new hatch model is still irrelevant to the American market since BMW has stated adamantly that it does not intend to offer a hatchback in the States again. Their last hatch offering, the 318ti of 1995 to 1998, was a weak sales performer. Moreover, many felt the 318ti cheapened the BMW brand's upscale image. America wasn't ready for the concept of a premium hatchback then, and BMW doesn't want to take another chance on that in the future.

But knowing that we won't get a hatch leaves only more questions. Will there be a convertible, like the CS1 concept car that the 1 Series is based upon? If there is a convertible, will there also be a coupe? Does it make sense to offer a four-door sedan? If there is a sedan, can it spawn a true wagon? These questions, unitl recently, have only been answered with "neither confirmation nor denial." BMW spokespeople do not offically speculate on future product.

BMW CS1 Concept of 2002- Inspiration for 1 Series

But at the recent press introduction of the new 3 Series Convertible, an Automotive News staff reporter was able to coax some details of the 1 Series from Klaus Borgmann, the project manager for both the 1 and 3 Series. Borgmann apparently stated that America will see both a two-door coupe and a convertible. Both models should arrive here sometime in 2008. While BMW North America would not officially confirm these plans, a spokesperson did say that the Automotive News reporter was accurate in reporting the statement she received from Mr. Borgmann.

Engine options have yet to be confirmed, but BMW officials have said they do not plan to offer a four-cylinder engine here. The assumtion is they will employ a version of the magnesium/aluminum 3.0-liter six-cylinder that is currently found in the European 130i, as well as the 3 and 5 Series, Z4 Coupe and Roadster, and X3 and X5 sport activity vehicles. There is also a strong possibility the 3.0-liter turbocharged six from the 335i coupes and sedan could find its way into an M version of the 1 Series.

The other big question on everyone's mind is pricing. Clearly the 1 Series must be priced below the 3 Series. But how much cheaper is the question. If it is priced too closely to a comparable 3 Series, buyers may make the jump and 1's may sit on dealers' lots. Pricing it too far below the 3 Series could not only cheapen the brand image, it might also make the 1 Series unprofitable for BMW and its dealers, spelling early termination for the model here.

BMW 130 Coupe- Rendered by MWerks.com

The challenge for BMW will be resisting the tempation to market the 1 Series as an "entry-level" car. Instead, the 1 must be seen as a premium small car that appeals to a different buyer than the 3 Series. MINI has been successful in convincing buyers that small doesn't necessarily have to equate to cheap. Audi and Volvo are also trying their hands at this approach with the A3 and C30, respectively.

Among driving enthusiasts, there is strong sentiment that the 3 Series has grown too large and luxurious to be a true sports coupe. Many of them long for a smaller, simpler car with the driving dynamics BMW has become known for. The 1 Series coupe could possibly deliver on that desire, all the while holding its head high as a true BMW.

For those who are following the progress of the 1 Series, the next few months will certainly be exciting times.
2006 325i ED 8/29/05: Retired

Old 01-27-2007, 05:38 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '04 330i
That is big news. And it means I won't be buying any more BMWs. Except maybe a Mini.
Old 01-27-2007, 09:50 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 M3
I had liked the hatchback more then the coupe
Old 01-28-2007, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stylinexpat View Post
I had liked the hatchback more then the coupe
Yup - this rumor could still be out of date - but if it's true, BMW is being stupid yet again. The 1 series is not a sports car, it's only slightly more fun to drive than a 3 series. Making it a coupe puts it against tough competition. Instead of the most fun 3 door hatch, it'll become another expensive impractical sports coupe.

I'll take a slightly used Porsche, thank you. And if it's the 135i for $45k+, I'll take an M coupe.
Old 01-28-2007, 09:25 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg90 View Post
Yup - this rumor could still be out of date - but if it's true, BMW is being stupid yet again. The 1 series is not a sports car, it's only slightly more fun to drive than a 3 series. Making it a coupe puts it against tough competition. Instead of the most fun 3 door hatch, it'll become another expensive impractical sports coupe.

I'll take a slightly used Porsche, thank you. And if it's the 135i for $45k+, I'll take an M coupe.

I agree with you. If I were to pay over $40K or over my options would start to change as it would be quite an expensie car for that amount of money. Yesterday I went out with my friend in his new Golf V R32 and the body and interior on that car is much better and by far better then my 130i. It is even quieter then mine on the highway. Only two things that I like more is the inline 6 in mine and the rear wheel drive, as for everything else I don't see where my Bimmer is a better car then that VW R32. When the new R36 comes out then it should be one awesome car if one were to compare them stock but as far as the tuning scene is concerned the 135i will have lots of room for tuning where the new R36 will be pretty much limited. I don't know about the other people but that coupe is not as nice as the hatchback posted in other threads. That hatchback is really nice in Black..
Old 01-28-2007, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stylinexpat View Post
I agree with you. If I were to pay over $40K or over my options would start to change as it would be quite an expensie car for that amount of money. Yesterday I went out with my friend in his new Golf V R32 and the body and interior on that car is much better and by far better then my 130i. It is even quieter then mine on the highway. Only two things that I like more is the inline 6 in mine and the rear wheel drive, as for everything else I don't see where my Bimmer is a better car then that VW R32. When the new R36 comes out then it should be one awesome car if one were to compare them stock but as far as the tuning scene is concerned the 135i will have lots of room for tuning where the new R36 will be pretty much limited. I don't know about the other people but that coupe is not as nice as the hatchback posted in other threads. That hatchback is really nice in Black..
Yeah, I don't understand BMW's logic - how many sport coupes do they need? Z4, M coupe, M3, M6, 3 series coupe, 1 series coupe? It's ridiculous.
Old 01-30-2007, 08:02 AM

Mein Auto: '08 Porsche 911 C4S
i agree whole heartedly. The allure of the 1 series was the hatchback style.....to me an ideal "second car". Introducing the 1 series as a coupe and 'cabrio' is simply ridiculous IMO. i'm definitely turned off by the 1 series until such a time that BMWNA can pull their heads out of their aces and start to get with the program. I think simply looking at what Audi, Volvo, and Merc are doing with regard to introducing small compact hatches into the market is a big enough clue. I was trying not to, but maybe it IS time to go look at the A3 and/or the new VW GTI and put the MINI back on the list.
'08 Imola Red Z4M coupe

(retired)

'09 Black MB E350
'07 Monaco Blue X5 4.8i
'05 Titanium Grey 530i
'03 Sterling Grey 540i-6MT
'03 Electric Red 330i

'07 White Aluminum K1200r Sport
'04 Phoenix Grey R1100s
Old 01-30-2007, 08:32 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 325it / 5sp
I think they'll end up offering it in hatch format... look who's already there: Audi A3, Volvo C30, Mazda3 [note: these aren't necessarily direct competitors]. But, I definitely see a greater acceptance of these hatches than in years past (maybe people have finally realized that they can get decent mpg and utility without getting an SUV... go figure).
Old 01-30-2007, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunilsf View Post
I think they'll end up offering it in hatch format... look who's already there: Audi A3, Volvo C30, Mazda3 [note: these aren't necessarily direct competitors]. But, I definitely see a greater acceptance of these hatches than in years past (maybe people have finally realized that they can get decent mpg and utility without getting an SUV... go figure).
I think so too - I think the article is wrong. We haven't seen a coupe yet, not even disguised - it's doubtful we'll see one in 2008 in the US unless a disguised coupe shows up real soon.
Old 01-31-2007, 05:28 PM
Not Wearing Pants

Mein Auto: Moped
Quote:
I think so too - I think the article is wrong. We haven't seen a coupe yet, not even disguised - it's doubtful we'll see one in 2008 in the US unless a disguised coupe shows up real soon.
Yes we have seen disguised coupes.

Cab:
http://www.worldcarfans.com/spyphoto...ble-spy-photos

Coupe:
http://www.drive.com.au/Editorial/Ar...rticleID=22275
Old 01-31-2007, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueguydotcom View Post
Those coupe pics are like 3 years old at least?

But yeah, the existence of disguised cabrios would indicate a coupe is around somewhere too.

Still, if the US coupes are really 1 year away, we should see them barely disguised now. So either we're getting a hatchback, or we won't get the 1 til early 2009.
Old 01-31-2007, 06:09 PM
Not Wearing Pants

Quote:
Those coupe pics are like 3 years old at least?

But yeah, the existence of disguised cabrios would indicate a coupe is around somewhere too.

Still, if the US coupes are really 1 year away, we should see them barely disguised now. So either we're getting a hatchback, or we won't get the 1 til early 2009.
Stop saying that. My lease is up in March of 08. The 1/2 has to come here by then. I don't want to get a GTI! Meanie!
Old 01-31-2007, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Stop saying that. My lease is up in March of 08. The 1/2 has to come here by then. I don't want to get a GTI! Meanie!
I'm just hedging - I'm hoping for a hatchback 1.

You know we're getting the awd R32 this year too, right? (250 hp V6, DSG only)
Old 01-31-2007, 06:19 PM
Not Wearing Pants

Quote:
I'm just hedging - I'm hoping for a hatchback 1.

You know we're getting the awd R32 this year too, right? (250 hp V6, DSG only)
R32 probably isn't coming here as a 4 door. If I'm going GTI it's for utility first, driving fun second.
Old 02-01-2007, 07:15 AM

Quote:
R32 probably isn't coming here as a 4 door. If I'm going GTI it's for utility first, driving fun second.
Yes, it's confirmed 2 door only. Yes, I'd totally buy a 4 door manual turbo GTI over a 2 door-only DSG-only with the A3's V6. Boo on VW for that.
Old 02-01-2007, 07:20 AM
Running around in circles

Mein Auto: E46 ZHP
I like what I see

Previous Bimmers ( All sorely missed ):
2007 Mystic Blue 530i - ED 12-15-06
2003 Grey Green 330i
2003 Electric Red 325iTa

Angular velocity is where it's at

-Jay