Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 02-02-2007, 09:49 AM

Mein Auto: 335i
Clutch/transmission clicking/clunking noise

I just got my beautiful baby 335i sedan 6MT and I'm totally in live with her. There is one (hopefully) minor issue that started to bother me yesterday. I noticed that when shifting 1 to 2 or 2 to 3 at low speeds, the transmission makes some soft clunking/clicking sound as if there is some weak link somewhere in the assembly. There is also a feeling of some looseness or movement in the trasmission/drivetrain. Has anyone exprienced anything similar? For a comparison, my wife's 2005 A4 6MT does not make any sounds comparable to the one I described and the clutch/transmission feels very solid. However, I experienced hearing a very similar sound with the same feeling of instability in the clutch/transmission in my 2005 Legacy GT after I had installed an aftermarket clutch with a lightweight flywheel.
Advertisement
Old 02-04-2007, 05:45 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 325 manual
Clutch/transmission clicking/clunking noise

2006 325I MAnual
Have the same problem. BMW explains this with the fact that there is a double click with a viscous coupling. If this is a fact then BMW brought to market a half developed solution. I personally could not believe this. what I believe is that is some king of adjustment out of tolerance and that BMW shrugs it off.

I also had a transaxle replaced. It was 1” short and was making a clicking noise when changing direction from forward to reverse and then braking. The shaft was sliding back and forth 1”. The mechanics did not believe that the whole transmission did not blue in pieces.

I have brought back the cat to the dealer a couple of times until I have given up. I am not that impressed with the cal and the fact that the shocks are bottoming out often. I have driven a 2007 328xi. The suspension is radically different much improved.
Old 02-04-2007, 10:27 PM

Mein Auto: Mazda 3 Hatch
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATG View Post
I just got my beautiful baby 335i sedan 6MT and I'm totally in live with her. There is one (hopefully) minor issue that started to bother me yesterday. I noticed that when shifting 1 to 2 or 2 to 3 at low speeds, the transmission makes some soft clunking/clicking sound as if there is some weak link somewhere in the assembly. There is also a feeling of some looseness or movement in the trasmission/drivetrain. Has anyone exprienced anything similar? For a comparison, my wife's 2005 A4 6MT does not make any sounds comparable to the one I described and the clutch/transmission feels very solid. However, I experienced hearing a very similar sound with the same feeling of instability in the clutch/transmission in my 2005 Legacy GT after I had installed an aftermarket clutch with a lightweight flywheel.

+1 - I have 335i coupe with 1200 miles. When shifting from 1 to 2, I get more of clunk sound. However, I didn't notice anything until around 1000 miles. I don't hear anything when shifting from 2 to 3. I am gonna give it another 1000 miles to see if is just part of the break in. If not, I will probably take it in for service. I have always driven a manual car (both german and japanese) and have not ever felt anything similiar as well.
Old 02-05-2007, 09:13 AM

As it was expained to me yesterday by a service advisor, because of an enormous power and torque in 335i, the driveline was designed to have some movement in it, so that a very quick engagement of the clutch wouldn't damage the tranny (I'm not 100% certain that it's exactly what he told me, but it's close enough). The only way to avoid the clunking and moving feeling is to release the clutch pedal super-smoothly at low speeds. It's funny that I felt the same driveline movement on my legacy GT 05. Looks like there are some similarities in design imperfections. I'm wondering how the clutch/tranny feels on the 5-series.
Old 02-05-2007, 12:04 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E85 M-Roadster, E82 135i
Quote:
All E90s (and E46s for that matter) with manual transmissions can exhibit a slight clunking in lower gears at low revs due to windup in the dual mass flywheel used. Using more revs and/or shifting more smoothly (optimal matching of the revs especially) will eliminate this.
Old 02-05-2007, 12:20 PM

jsc, I played with the clutch over the weekend and totally agree with your advice. Can you explain what you meant by "windup in the dual mass flywheel?" Thanks.
Old 02-06-2007, 08:07 AM

Mein Auto: E85 M-Roadster, E82 135i
Quote:
jsc, I played with the clutch over the weekend and totally agree with your advice. Can you explain what you meant by "windup in the dual mass flywheel?" Thanks.
The flywheel is actually two pieces of steel separated by a vary hard piece of rubber, the wind-up in the flywheel can occur when the rubber is loaded then released. Usually most evident at high torque differential (engine torque mis-matched with transmission torque), low engine speed conditions.
Old 04-26-2007, 07:36 PM

Mein Auto: E90 335i 6MT
Good thing I found this thread, I have 300 miles and I am experiencing the same.
Old 04-26-2007, 07:54 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 335I COUPE
My 335I coupe has the same cluncking sound at 1500 miles when engaging the clutch from stand still or when shifting from reverse to first gear. I have not had any issues with the car so I was going to wait for the first service to have it look at. To me it sounds like to be exessive play in the drive shaft universal joints but from the preveous posts it could be normal by design but sounds like SHXX.
Old 04-27-2007, 08:23 AM

Mein Auto: 07 X3 and 335i
It is normal as jsc has stated. The duel mass flywheel also amplifies gear lash in the trans, joints and diff. Go wiggle the drifshaft back and forth and you feel what you hear. If the car wasn't so quiet, you would not hear this. if you want to hear a noisy trans, just go drive a vette or viper, or an infinity G35 stick and take a listen. The infinity sounds like the trans is going to fall out of the car. Their trans frikken rattle. Turn up the stereo and all will be good.
Old 04-27-2007, 12:38 PM

Mein Auto: E90 335i 6MT
I noticed this:

If I press the clutch in fast then I get the clunking noise.

If I press the clutch in slower and smoothly then there is no noise.
Old 04-27-2007, 06:14 PM
Sup3rman

Mein Auto: '11 E90 AW M3/ '11 AW X5d
Quote:
Originally Posted by David1 View Post
It is normal as jsc has stated. The duel mass flywheel also amplifies gear lash in the trans, joints and diff. Go wiggle the drifshaft back and forth and you feel what you hear. If the car wasn't so quiet, you would not hear this. if you want to hear a noisy trans, just go drive a vette or viper, or an infinity G35 stick and take a listen. The infinity sounds like the trans is going to fall out of the car. Their trans frikken rattle. Turn up the stereo and all will be good.
Had a 350Z that I thought was going to fall out any minute.

2007 335i Coupe - 6MT Alpine White/Saddle Brown ED 5/23/2007 (retired)

ED Trip Report W/ Pics (And Engagement Story/Pics)
Old 01-25-2010, 07:00 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to razzy530
Mein Auto: 2007 530i 6 Speed
I just got my CPO '07 530i 6 Speed. I have the same sound at very slow speeds. It has to so with how we shift

2007 E60 530i - Current
2002 E39 530i - RIP

BMWCCA MEMBER #397411
Old 01-26-2010, 07:27 AM
Bad Lieutenant

Mein Auto: S65B40 Powered
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsc View Post
The flywheel is actually two pieces of steel separated by a vary hard piece of rubber, the wind-up in the flywheel can occur when the rubber is loaded then released. Usually most evident at high torque differential (engine torque mis-matched with transmission torque), low engine speed conditions.
Yes, that's a great description, jsc. I found this video a long time ago trying to explain this to my neighbor:

08 E90M3 6MT Alpinweiss/Schwartz/BMW Pedals/Dinan Exhaust/BMW Alcantara wheel
Old 01-27-2010, 05:22 AM
I love my beautiful wife.

Mein Auto: '01 325i
Drive an ///M and you'll really hear clunking!
moonroof:
Old 03-25-2010, 06:35 PM

Mein Auto: E92 335i Coupe
Hi to all

thread is quite old but have to ask.

I own 335i for 3 months now and had a new gearbox fitted yesterday
didnt hear it before( maybe to cold to drive with open windows) but now its annoing.
Every time I switch off my engine without clutch depressed there is a clunking noise coming from gearbox. I guess its flywheel.
Then when I press my clutch driving on 1st on low rev and speed I hear the same clunking noise.
And finaly when Im driving off from standstill once I put first , add a throttle and release a clutch I hear something similar again!!
If i put more throttle before releasing clutch its fine. But normally Ive got it every time driving off.
I know that sound from any modern car with DMF when trying to drive off with not enough throttle but I have it every time with rev about 1300 before clutch release.

Could anyone confirm that all these symptoms are normal on 335i?
Or maybe they should replace my DMF and clutch as well with gearbox.

My car is 45k and they said there was no need of replacing anything more than gearbox( some internal fault- grinding from 1st to 2nd)

thanks for any info

Last edited by neo61uk; 03-25-2010 at 06:37 PM.
Old 03-25-2010, 08:09 PM
Bad Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by neo61uk View Post
Hi to all

thread is quite old but have to ask.

I own 335i for 3 months now and had a new gearbox fitted yesterday
didnt hear it before( maybe to cold to drive with open windows) but now its annoing.
Every time I switch off my engine without clutch depressed there is a clunking noise coming from gearbox. I guess its flywheel.
Then when I press my clutch driving on 1st on low rev and speed I hear the same clunking noise.
And finaly when Im driving off from standstill once I put first , add a throttle and release a clutch I hear something similar again!!
If i put more throttle before releasing clutch its fine. But normally Ive got it every time driving off.
I know that sound from any modern car with DMF when trying to drive off with not enough throttle but I have it every time with rev about 1300 before clutch release.

Could anyone confirm that all these symptoms are normal on 335i?
Or maybe they should replace my DMF and clutch as well with gearbox.

My car is 45k and they said there was no need of replacing anything more than gearbox( some internal fault- grinding from 1st to 2nd)

thanks for any info
You will continue to hear that noise as long as you have the dual mass flywheel, it serves a very good purpose and has been a BMW standard for a long time. I would not replace the flywheel or clutch, the grind from 1st to 2nd is a different issue entirely. With BMWs, it's best to use finesse with the transmission.

Old 03-25-2010, 08:17 PM

Thanks for reply

so Youre saing that its normal with Dual mass flywheel.
But should I hear it even when starting from stand ?? Because thats what concern me the most.

I was driving some audis and mazdas with Dual mass and couldnt hear anything like this.
Is that only a Bmw flywheel noise??
Old 03-25-2010, 08:34 PM
Bad Lieutenant

Quote:
Thanks for reply

so Youre saing that its normal with Dual mass flywheel.
But should I hear it even when starting from stand ?? Because thats what concern me the most.

I was driving some audis and mazdas with Dual mass and couldnt hear anything like this.
Is that only a Bmw flywheel noise??
I sometimes hear it "snicking" into 1st if the car isn't totally standing still, I've always heard the dual mass flywheel since my first E34 535. I've come to get used to the strange BMW sounds, at idle, with the clutch out in neutral, you can hear all kinds of noises but none of my BMWs have had reliability problems unless they're abused. Shifting too fast and short shift kids put undue wear on the components in the transmission. The "knock" from the dual mass flywheel is normal. What you should try and do is increase your RPM shift point. Even with the 335i's bottom end torque, shifting above 3k rpm is kinder, expected and sounds better than shifting early.

The BMW noise over the other manufacturers is probably typical of BMW over-building their components. Believe me, if you don't like sounds like this, don't pick up an M model, they have very little noise isolation and use harder tranny mount bushings, etc. so every noise is transmitted. I like it as music but some find it annoying. I like to hear the mechanical sounds myself.

If you have a strange noise from a standstill, is the dealer only looking at the tranny or the rear end/driveline? With the clutch fully engaged, there should only be a slight noise as the dual mass flywheel stops.

Last edited by thekurgan; 03-25-2010 at 08:36 PM. Reason: ;)
Old 03-25-2010, 09:22 PM

Thanks again for great reply

I was driving some beemers before but in auto so maybe thats why never heard any of these noises before
what I hear from stand still is a little judder, clunk noise coming from the same area that all these noises before.
Its that specific clunking noise that You hear before car stall when You add not enough throttle but
its not that loud and I can hear it only when driving side to wall or other cars and sound is coming back to me.
Old 03-25-2010, 09:40 PM
Bad Lieutenant

Quote:
Thanks again for great reply

I was driving some beemers before but in auto so maybe thats why never heard any of these noises before
what I hear from stand still is a little judder, clunk noise coming from the same area that all these noises before.
Its that specific clunking noise that You hear before car stall when You add not enough throttle but its not that loud and I can hear it only when driving side to wall or other cars and sound is coming back to me.
Yes, almost like engine knock, yes? Sounds just like a dual mass flywheel clicking to a stop. You'll get used to the noise, play with the shift points, it's the way the BMW was supposed to be driven.

Old 04-06-2010, 01:47 PM

Hello again

After about a week of driving my new tranny I started to hear some new noise when reversing.

Whenever I reverse my car and I depress a clutch before stop I hear a clicking noise coming from rear end of my car. Its not there when clutch engage , only when its disengaging on reverse.
Is that normal as well?
I just started to accepting my gearbox clunking and now that new noise came out.
Really worried now.

Thanks for any advice
Old 01-14-2014, 09:59 AM

Mein Auto: BMW E92 328i
I am driving a 2007 E92 328i automatic. The clicking was really, really bad when starting in D or starting in reverse. When driving in sport mode, when the car downshifts due to breaking you could hear a loud click in the cabin, the click coming from the differential area.

I found the solution here: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=175885 and I gave it a shot.

I went to a local mechanic. He removed the whole exhaust and the driveshaft, there was no need to remove the differential. here are all the parts that were removed:

He applied the Loctite and we let it dry over night. This morning, I picked up my car, and voila - no clicking noise at all!!!! He charged me 75 Euros, and it was a 2-3 hours work.

I could not imagine in my wildest dreams that a bit of Loctite "glue" could solve this, since the clicking in my car was really, really bad. Even when I turn on the radio, I could still hear it clearly when it happens.

Here are some pics for better understanding if someone else wants to solve this:

Last edited by vedolino; 01-14-2014 at 10:00 AM.
Old 09-04-2014, 09:36 PM

Mein Auto: 335xi
Having the same issue with the clunk/shudder from 1 to 2. Has anyone had any luck with a new or aftermarket flywheel?
Old 09-05-2014, 04:22 AM

Mein Auto: 2007-335 HTC
leave it to BMW to take a single piece of metal and turn it into a multi pieces and create another problem

just wait till you put in a clutch and they tell you the flywheel has to be replaced at the same time,

take the fly wheel out and have it all welded together and see if that fixes the problem