Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E30 (1982 - 1993)

E30 (1982 - 1993)
God's Chariot. The E30 was produced primarily from 1982 through 1991. The cabriolet was the one exception which was produced through 1993.

Old 09-23-2015, 02:04 PM
Mein Auto: Jeep
Considering a Classic E30 BMW

Hello all!

Like the title suggests, I'm looking at purchasing what some might consider a classic BMW.

I'm looking for a black sedan, most likely a late 80s E30.

I'm looking to make it a daily driver, and enjoy modifying and upgrading.

From what I've read so far, intake and exhaust on an E30 yield little to nothing in terms of performance.

I've read some about the Kamotors' turbo set up, but having disposable cash like that isn't in my foreseeable future. Typically what I've done is save up and buy an intake, save up and buy or piece together an exhaust, save up and piece together a nitrous kit, same with a tuner.

From what I've read, there's no way to get around the large (to me) expense of either doing a swap, or going FI to get above the 200 whp. I suppose I could hack together a 20g turbo kit.

So I'm wanting an elegant, classic, black sleeper BMW sedan(love the old M5), that can also handle (or accept suspension mods), and be reasonably fast.

Was wondering if you guys had any suggestions.

Thanks a lot!
Old 09-24-2015, 12:21 PM
Bimmerfest.com Founder
Mein Auto: Ti Silver 03 M3
I moved your question to the E30 3 series forum, I think you'll get more help in here.

Old 09-25-2015, 04:43 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Mein Auto: E39 530i
Yeah, cheapest option is probably buy a car with a blown engine and swap in an M30 or M50.

But for more moderate gains, I've heard good things about the Miller kit: https://www.millerperformancecars.co...it-psik-detail
E39 wiki updated with bestlinks: http://www.bimmerfest.com/wiki/index.php/BMW_E39
Old 09-25-2015, 06:00 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Mein Auto: '91 E30
Originally Posted by sprawlcowboy View Post

Was wondering if you guys had any suggestions.
I own 2 E30 cars now and had own 10 different ones over the past 20 years. I've seen it all.
Don't waste your money on tuning on the stock engines anything. Keep it bone stock or do a M52 2.8L swap. It is easy to do and you won't spend a lot of money and you will have fun fast car. Turbo kits are always unreliable hack jobs.
Old 10-01-2015, 03:38 AM
Nick's Toys
Mein Auto: 323i E30 2-door
Turbo kits are always unreliable hack jobs
Wise words indeed !
Don't take life too seriously; no one gets out alive !
1984 323 currently being resurrected from the ashes
Old 10-06-2015, 12:43 PM
if it wasn't for that...
Mein Auto: M3, & The Wabbit
The whole not having a disposable income thing comes to mind with me... E30's are expensive, in just about every sense of the word. Current prices seem to be level but a good one is still 3,500-6,000. Not that I would be paying that much for one. People who have nice ones are keeping them, and if they do let them go its at a high premium.

24v swaps aren't cheap either, even if you get a M50 for $300 bucks you will spend at least 1k on everything else. My M52 swap was about $1800 dollars all said and done. While in high school mind you, (not my wisest decision).

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E30 (1982 - 1993)
Today's Posts Search