Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E30 (1982 - 1993)

E30 (1982 - 1993)
God's Chariot. The E30 was produced primarily from 1982 through 1991. The cabriolet was the one exception which was produced through 1993.

Old 11-23-2010, 12:21 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1986 327is
Stock eta with the 885 head, stock 885 cam, stock intake, stock eta exhaust with 19lb injectors (actually was stock 14.5psi inj raised to 65psi = 19lb) untuned made 134whp 145wtq, cranking pressure is 90psi across the board so it's around 8.3:1 (head was shaved cple thou to flat, didn't cc the chambers). The second dyno after tuning didn't peak as high, but made more under the curve - even returning to stock fuel pressure. The injectors went static after the 3nd pull of four - we didn't realize what happened till we went back over things and looked at the file, then confirmed on the 4th run by backing the inj pulse slightly and the thing back fired like crazy.

I don't get where this setup is making so much less according to the interwebz, two locals put their 2.5's on the dyno just to see (didn't even bother with afr's or printing the sheets, one pull each). One has a 272 IE cam, JimC chip, intake and cat-back - he made 156whp 140wtq. The other has headers, cat-back and intake, on the stock tune he made 138whp 132wtq.

If the cars are in perfect stock condition they supposedly made 170hp, what would that translate to the wheels?
Old 11-23-2010, 12:32 PM
an audience of One

Mein Auto: BMW M Power
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForcedFirebird View Post
Stock eta with the 885 head, stock 885 cam, stock intake, stock eta exhaust with 19lb injectors (actually was stock 14.5psi inj raised to 65psi = 19lb) untuned made 134whp 145wtq, cranking pressure is 90psi across the board so it's around 8.3:1 (head was shaved cple thou to flat, didn't cc the chambers). The second dyno after tuning didn't peak as high, but made more under the curve - even returning to stock fuel pressure. The injectors went static after the 3nd pull of four - we didn't realize what happened till we went back over things and looked at the file, then confirmed on the 4th run by backing the inj pulse slightly and the thing back fired like crazy.

I don't get where this setup is making so much less according to the interwebz, two locals put their 2.5's on the dyno just to see (didn't even bother with afr's or printing the sheets, one pull each). One has a 272 IE cam, JimC chip, intake and cat-back - he made 156whp 140wtq. The other has headers, cat-back and intake, on the stock tune he made 138whp 132wtq.

If the cars are in perfect stock condition they supposedly made 170hp, what would that translate to the wheels?
17% driveline loss is commonly accepted, which calculates to 28.9, for a whp of 141.1. My chipped (otherwise stock) M20B25 made 148whp on a DynoDynamics machine which are conservative in their numbers.
Old 11-23-2010, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan... View Post
To kind of back Firebird here, the owner of a local tuning/custom body shop drives a spray painted Rav4 as his DD, yet he works on older turbo porsches, newer AMG mercs, and is starting to work on more turbo tuner cars. He's got a very good rep around here, especially good since its such a small shop.
Thanks.

I have completed 8 turbo kits (two on my own cars) we have two cars at the shop now that were shipped from other states, one is a complete resto-mod, the other is in for a new drivetrain and turbo (both Camaros, what I "broke my shop teeth" on). Small shop with a few friends that come and help out in exchange for use of the shop. I have a full time job besides and work the shop nights/weekends and when construction is slow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by markseven View Post
17% driveline loss is commonly accepted, which calculates to 28.9, for a whp of 141.1. My chipped (otherwise stock) M20B25 made 148whp on a DynoDynamics machine which are conservative in their numbers.
I was being rhetorical lol. I know my car has about the same power as the 2.5, but the torque is higher and flat like a table top - has no problem keeping up with friends' "i" cars even with the 2.93 gearing. Every e30 owner who drives it comments on it's strength (more tq makes the car "feel" faster). Do you remember the torque numbers?

Last edited by ForcedFirebird; 11-23-2010 at 12:51 PM.
Old 11-23-2010, 01:02 PM
Please, call me Brian.

Mein Auto: Ducati 916
Quote:
Thanks.

I have completed 8 turbo kits (two on my own cars) we have two cars at the shop now that were shipped from other states, one is a complete resto-mod, the other is in for a new drivetrain and turbo (both Camaros, what I "broke my shop teeth" on). Small shop with a few friends that come and help out in exchange for use of the shop. I have a full time job besides and work the shop nights/weekends and when construction is slow.
That sounds pretty similiar to the guy I mentioned. My uncle grew up with him, back when they were working on old muscle cars together. My uncle got into older mercedes, and his friend started into porsches. His shop is in his backyard, its actually an old barn modernized and turned into a shop. He doesn't do much in the area of tuning, but he can install/fabricate just about anything, I know he's made some of his own custom headers, and he has 4-5 different custom handbuilt exhausts that he bolts into his turbo beetle depending on his taste that month
Old 11-23-2010, 01:23 PM
an audience of One

Quote:
Thanks.

I was being rhetorical lol. I know my car has about the same power as the 2.5, but the torque is higher and flat like a table top - has no problem keeping up with friends' "i" cars even with the 2.93 gearing. Every e30 owner who drives it comments on it's strength (more tq makes the car "feel" faster). Do you remember the torque numbers?
I was typing as I was thinking "how does he not know this?"

IIRC the tq was 148 as well.
Old 11-28-2010, 05:06 PM

So, after dabbling with the mis-matched stock parts, decided to go a little different route. We have 5 885 heads now, 3 2.7 rotating assemblies, 2 2.5 rotating assy's and several 200 heads, so while driving the eta 2.7i, gonna build a spare block with some euro eta (high cr) pistons, a custom cam designed in my shop and a little porting.

I threw up in my mouth a little when doing a compression check and realized just how low the CR is - 90psi across the board ftl. Great for our turbo race cars, but for the suck on NA. Was going to keep going with the 2.7i (stock parts), but unless there's hairdryers involved, just not worth it - you are looking at about 150-ish HP max, tuned with all stock components. I am so used to seeing in the 200's for cranking pressure, we build a lot of high-CR v6's and generally see about 265psi cranking with a big cam and 11.5:1 SCR - yes we run pump gas on them even...

Last edited by ForcedFirebird; 11-28-2010 at 05:09 PM.
Old 11-29-2010, 01:42 PM

Mein Auto: '84 325e, '00 323i
Amazing what 3 points of compression will do. I guess you expected that cr when you put those heads on that block. So when do the turbo's go on???
Old 12-03-2010, 07:31 PM

It' actually .7:1 SCR change

SO...anyone have a line on some euro eta 525e pistons?
Old 12-05-2010, 12:27 PM

Got a deal in the works for a motor, hopefully it goes through and it will go in my car while working on the m20. 209bhp/225btq, can you guess what it is?

Old 12-05-2010, 08:55 PM

a small block Chevy?
Old 12-05-2010, 10:07 PM
East Bound And Down

Send a message via AIM to noexceptions325
Mein Auto: 325e,Jeep,240z,528i
M30B35
has the power and torque output you describe..

Built 325e too much to list, Heavily modified Jeep, Datsun about to get a 351, and now a 528i
Old 12-05-2010, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by e^2 View Post
a small block Chevy?
My SBC has way more than that

Quote:
Originally Posted by noexceptions325 View Post
M30B35
has the power and torque output you describe..
Trading the 327 TPI 10.8:1 SCR in my ElCamino for a full m30 swap - just got to bolt it in from another e30
Old 12-05-2010, 10:30 PM
East Bound And Down

btw i think they are actually rated at 208 HP tho right?

Built 325e too much to list, Heavily modified Jeep, Datsun about to get a 351, and now a 528i
Old 12-05-2010, 10:53 PM
tappa tappa toit

Mein Auto: hoopty
Wow nice find!!!!!
Old 12-06-2010, 03:00 AM
E34 Converted E30 Fanatic

Send a message via MSN to _Ethrty-Andy_
Mein Auto: E34 Touring AC Schnitzer
M30 = much heavier, less efficient, arguably less potential, neglible increase in power and less torque than a twincam... why would you?

E30 above Sold

E34 V12 Project Thread Here: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...=502437&page=4
Last updated 2nd January 2014
Old 12-06-2010, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethrty View Post
M30 = much heavier, less efficient, arguably less potential, neglible increase in power and less torque than a twincam... why would you?
Because I inherited elky with the motor already in it, need a motor for the bimmer while I build the m20, and this will bolt right in (full swap already done)

If I hadn't already started making custom headers for the m20, I would just boost the stupid thing, have 4 turbos sitting in my office right next to me. (2 to4e's, t25 and t3, all Garrett).

Besides, who says the m30 has no potential? My friend just dyno'd over 600whp with a stock bottom end, MLS and studs for the top end
Old 12-06-2010, 09:18 PM

Why not put the small block in the BMW?
Old 12-06-2010, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by e^2 View Post
Why not put the small block in the BMW?

Cause it's my daily. Not going to do an intensive swap, the m30 is a bolt-in. Thought about putting the 327 in my Firebird since I just sold the TT motor, but want to keep it a Firebird, and not a (pseudo)Trans AM lol. To put the 327 in an e30 will require custom motor mounts, custom tranny mounts and custom driveshaft to say the least - more than a day or two swap.

Have the PT Cruiser I can drive, but it's a POS, worst car Dodge ever made - cool idea with nothing to back it.

Well, this is all stemming if the kid and I seal the deal. Have a spare eta motor that might just go in and put the stock harness back in if it falls through. (4500rpm again, yeah )
Old 12-18-2010, 07:21 PM

My e30 has been parked for a few days since the shift linkage popped off and haven't had time to work on it with the other cars in the shop, but thought you might like to see what just came in the mail from Ireland

Old 12-19-2010, 12:00 AM
East Bound And Down

I was gonna do this ^ when i swapped over to my german check gauges but since i got my OBC working properly i enjoy my friends reactions to all the functions and then playing the guessing game of how old my car is

but i might change my mind.. take a picture of how you wire it up

Old 12-19-2010, 12:07 AM

Quote:
I was gonna do this ^ when i swapped over to my german check gauges but since i got my OBC working properly i enjoy my friends reactions to all the functions and then playing the guessing game of how old my car is

I will if it goes in this car. My panel works great and is accurate, but the last light I had burned out, need to solder in an LED, or something lol. Currently with tuning the Motronic, I see a partial throttle MPG in the 27's mixed driving, and that's with 22.4lb.hr injectors.

4 wires on the back, that's about as far as I have gotten lol.
Old 12-19-2010, 07:54 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to bimmeupscottiee
Mein Auto: 1987 325is
I have one too wiring is simple. If it didn't come with a pigtail you can use the female end of a power mirror plug. you have to break off the clips that snap the mirror pulg together but after that its pretty simple. Here is the wiring setup there are numbers on the clock heres how they hook up

30-power
31-ground
58k-illumination power
31g-illumination ground

And these are the wires you have to cut and connect to

red/white-power
brown-ground
gray/red-illumination power
brown/white-illumination ground

Its simple. And looks awesome.

"I knew a guy who bought a used car through a newspaper. Ten years later...bam...Herpes."
Old 12-19-2010, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmeupscottiee View Post
I have one too wiring is simple. If it didn't come with a pigtail you can use the female end of a power mirror plug. you have to break off the clips that snap the mirror pulg together but after that its pretty simple. Here is the wiring setup there are numbers on the clock heres how they hook up

30-power
31-ground
58k-illumination power
31g-illumination ground

And these are the wires you have to cut and connect to

red/white-power
brown-ground
gray/red-illumination power
brown/white-illumination ground

Its simple. And looks awesome.
Thanks! Yeah I figured it was constant power/ground and then power/ground for the light, but it's easier with the pinout numbers you posted.

Yeah got the pigtail with it, and this is one of those rare occasions I bought something from the forums since it was a good deal. Most guys want close to $100 for a Euro clock, but I got it for $28 shipped lol. My friend in the Navy is stationed in Italy and said he is going to bring me back some Euro smileys and grilles, but we will see if he is able to snag them before leave next month.
Old 12-19-2010, 10:38 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to bimmeupscottiee
Mein Auto: 1987 325is
Quote:
Thanks! Yeah I figured it was constant power/ground and then power/ground for the light, but it's easier with the pinout numbers you posted.

Yeah got the pigtail with it, and this is one of those rare occasions I bought something from the forums since it was a good deal. Most guys want close to $100 for a Euro clock, but I got it for $28 shipped lol. My friend in the Navy is stationed in Italy and said he is going to bring me back some Euro smileys and grilles, but we will see if he is able to snag them before leave next month.
Cool Im looking to get a set of smoked euro smileys. And no problem for the info.

"I knew a guy who bought a used car through a newspaper. Ten years later...bam...Herpes."
Old 12-19-2010, 01:48 PM
an audience of One

Quote:

+1. I use the temp and date functions on a regular basis, and I used the 'range' when I had the M20. The owner of the company I work at rides in my car about twice a year. Each time he's in my car he mentions how cool it is that such an old car has an OBC