Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 02-14-2007, 09:31 AM

Mein Auto: 2002 BMW 320i
Key stuck in ignition

Hi,

Just wondered if anyone else has experience this - and maybe has a solution:-

Upon driving home, I park my car in the garage, put the car in "Park", apply the handbreak, switch off the engine and attempt to remove my key.

Key is stuck in the ignition and will not come out.

I have to restart the car - reverse and then drive forward slowly, stop, place the car in "Park" and try again.

Sometimes it takes 2 or 3 attempts before I can remove the key.

Car is 2002 320i with 68,000km on the clock

Anyone with any ideas?

Any help thoughts appreciated - thanks!

Nick
Advertisement
Old 02-14-2007, 09:46 AM
Keeping it surreal

Mein Auto: 2004 330Ci ZHP 3 pedals
Sounds like the neutral safety switch might be going bad....

Regards,
Bob
Old 02-14-2007, 10:03 AM

Mein Auto: 2002 BMW 320i
Thanks Fast Bob,

Excuse my ignorance - but what does the neutral safety switch do? And, is this going to be an expensive fix?

I have a pretty good indy mechanic I use, so I'll probably take the car in in the next day or so.
Old 02-14-2007, 10:45 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Send a message via MSN to icky
Mein Auto: 2006 325xi
Well.. I don't know if this is the same problem or not, but when I had my 2001 325xi it wouldn't let me take the key out sometimes. However, my problem was that I wouldn't put it into park all the way (automatic obviously). Is the 'park' light illuminating when you put it in?
Old 02-14-2007, 01:03 PM
Keeping it surreal

Mein Auto: 2004 330Ci ZHP 3 pedals
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick1 View Post
Thanks Fast Bob,

Excuse my ignorance - but what does the neutral safety switch do? And, is this going to be an expensive fix?

I have a pretty good indy mechanic I use, so I'll probably take the car in in the next day or so.
The switch was originally designed as a safety feature to prevent starting the car in gear.... now it`s one component in a system with multiple interlocks (yet another byproduct of our litigation-prone society). The switch itself could be faulty, or possibly the linkage is out of adjustment, causing the gear selector to not fully engage the PARK position, as stated by another poster.

Regards,
Bob
Old 02-17-2007, 01:02 PM
E46 325ci sport

Mein Auto: E46 325ci Sport
hi, i had the same problem not too long ago! with mine it was not engaging park properly. when i investigated i found a coin had fallen through the ashtray ( the actual ashtray bit is missing ) and was causing this! it had also damaged a small clip/plug type thing which was causing a light (like a small amber cog) where it says P,R,N,D..i removed the coin and replaced the plug and all is fine! hope this helps. p.s. remove the gear gaiter and you have enough acess to see if this is the problem!
Old 02-15-2008, 12:18 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 BMW 330i
Key Ignition Stock

Hello BMW team

I had the same problem with the key stock in the ignition and the problem was a penny coin stock between the shifter(Parking) and cable switch under the center console below the ashtrey hole. I remove the coin and problem resolve.

See you later my BMW People
Old 02-15-2008, 03:04 PM

Mein Auto: '08 128i
I had this problem Saturday! I eventually though pressed hard on the brake and turned the key and it unlocked. Didn't have any coins causing any trouble like others. Sure had me worried.
Old 02-15-2008, 03:24 PM
NADAVAN

Mein Auto: 2002 525it
I think the park interlock cable is out of adjustment. Try giving the lever a good shove forward after it's already in P. Then try to turn the key the rest of the way back and pull it out of the slot.

Post back and let us know what happens.
Old 03-24-2008, 02:02 PM

Mein Auto: Canada/US
Another reason for Key stuck in ignition

Just got it fixed under new car warranty. The plastic rectangular key has a small metallic BMW emblem glued on to it. Every one knows that plastic metal glued stuff will come off eventually. The metallic piece fell off into the big rectangular hole where the big plastic key goes. Then the key will not come out. Such problems do not occur in ordinary metallic keys in regular small key holes. This is a design flaw.

Last edited by Srini; 03-24-2008 at 02:04 PM.
Old 01-02-2010, 01:12 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 330 CI
Key Stuck

OMG, I want to thank you all for your information. I was looking for any information I could find on how to get the key out of the ignition on my BMW 330 CI. My key would not come out of the ignition. I would have to put the car in park, turn off the key and then push the knob more into the Park position. I thought the coin blog would be to easy. I went outside, removed the ashtray and low and behold, there is a quarter in there. I was so excited. The key now comes out without and issues. Thanks again for your information.
Old 01-02-2010, 03:39 PM
It's all about me!

Mein Auto: 07-750LI, 12-X3, 01-330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabrinadeal View Post
OMG, I want to thank you all for your information. I was looking for any information I could find on how to get the key out of the ignition on my BMW 330 CI. My key would not come out of the ignition. I would have to put the car in park, turn off the key and then push the knob more into the Park position. I thought the coin blog would be to easy. I went outside, removed the ashtray and low and behold, there is a quarter in there. I was so excited. The key now comes out without and issues. Thanks again for your information.
LOL....this happed to my daughter yesterday in her 2000 328i. Key would not come out. She came home and told me so I went right to the site and did a search. Sure enough...it was a nickel that had fallen in there through the ashtray and we keeping the car from properly going into park and releasing the key! Thanks to the info on this forum, I knew exactly what to look for.

I love this site!

2007 750LI Barbera Red
2001 330Cic Orient Blue
2000 328i Jet Black(Sold)
2004 X3 Mystic Blue
2012 X3 Alpine White

Last edited by BobSC; 01-02-2010 at 06:11 PM.
Old 01-02-2010, 04:44 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Srini View Post
Just got it fixed under new car warranty. The plastic rectangular key has a small metallic BMW emblem glued on to it. Every one knows that plastic metal glued stuff will come off eventually. The metallic piece fell off into the big rectangular hole where the big plastic key goes. Then the key will not come out. Such problems do not occur in ordinary metallic keys in regular small key holes. This is a design flaw.
Sounds like you must have an E90 or other recent BMW vehicle. The E46s had conventional cut ignition keys.
Old 01-08-2010, 10:02 PM

Mein Auto: bmw
I tried pulling out the coin but i think i got it stuck somewhere underneath the shift console, any suggestions???
Old 01-08-2010, 11:42 PM
Das rampen abwarten

Mein Auto: 04 330xi,Audi A6,AlfaSpid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw330ci06 View Post
I tried pulling out the coin but i think i got it stuck somewhere underneath the shift console, any suggestions???
Where specifically was the coin lodged before you tried to dislodge it. Also what type of coin (quarter, dime, etc) was it. Does your inital problem still exist?
Old 03-25-2010, 05:25 PM

Mein Auto: 318i E46
HI, i'm from Peru and have the same trouble, key stuck at ignition, all in the car works fine, but something strange..... when i make a shift (R or D) both lights turns on, yes! both of them, and the car goes in reverse or forward as usual. I'll try to search a coin or something under the shift.
Old 03-26-2010, 03:34 AM

Mein Auto: 2005 M3 Coupe
When this happened to me it was a much simpler problem; the key blade was physically bent, so it took a lot of force to get out of the ignition. I took a pair of pliers, bent it back, and it's been working fine for almost 2 years now. I do have a manual transmission though, so I knew there's no key lock.
Old 09-04-2010, 07:35 PM

Mein Auto: 320i 2001
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by davehayes2204 View Post
hi, i had the same problem not too long ago! with mine it was not engaging park properly. when i investigated i found a coin had fallen through the ashtray ( the actual ashtray bit is missing ) and was causing this! it had also damaged a small clip/plug type thing which was causing a light (like a small amber cog) where it says P,R,N,D..i removed the coin and replaced the plug and all is fine! hope this helps. p.s. remove the gear gaiter and you have enough access to see if this is the problem!
I had the same problem and I couldnt take the key out so I decided to push hard to get "P"engaged and it did! the problem is that now I have the GEAR LIGHT ON!!!

The gears swift fine and everything seems to be ok, you mentioned "it had also damaged a small clip/plug type thing which was causing a light (like a small amber cog) where it says P,R,N,D..i" where can I buy that clip??? Is it an easy to do repair?

THANK YOU SO MUCH, I AM AFRAID TO DRIVE MY CAR because I dont want to damage the transmision.
Old 09-21-2010, 03:59 PM

HI Guys, I have been looking around for 2 weeks trying to find the NEUTRAL SAFETY SWITCH, or the SMALL CLIP PLUG so I can replace it and I can find the part! PLEASE HELP! The grears are fine but the GEAR WARNING LIGHT DOES NOT TURN OFF.

THANKS A LOT.
Old 10-14-2010, 03:20 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 645
I recently had the same problem. Searching the World wide web, I chance by this forum. True enough, when i removed the gear shift casing, there was a coin stuck there.

Just wanted to say a big THANK YOU to davehayes2204 and Huguin for penning the solution. U guys have been a big help.

Cheers
Old 10-14-2010, 07:22 AM
Supporter of Bimmer Lore

Mein Auto: 2006 325Ci
This is truly one of those immortal threads. And as I've said more than once, after seeing it reappear every so often, I have inspected, pored over and meditated on the Bimmer's console and have yet to figure how you guys manage to get a coin in there. Unless mine came with a special deluxe coinproof console OR all your shifter boots are very completely and seriously fukked up, I have yet to find a way how the damn coin finds ITS way into the shifter.....

Edit: of course, not having rugrats loose in the car, not ever and not in the forseeable future, may explain the cause and effect....

2006 325Ci

Last edited by jcourcoul; 10-14-2010 at 07:24 AM.
Old 10-14-2010, 11:35 AM

Smile Gear selector cable

Hi guys, I couldn't find the clip so I bought the whole gear selector but I don't know how to remove the gear selector cable from the transmission or even where is it located? I found on the transmission swap post how to remove the whole think from inside of the cabin but not the cable.

Thanks for your advise guys
Old 10-14-2010, 05:59 PM
I brew life

Mein Auto: 2005 ZHP, Wife's Prius
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabo Bimmer View Post
Hi guys, I couldn't find the clip so I bought the whole gear selector but I don't know how to remove the gear selector cable from the transmission or even where is it located? I found on the transmission swap post how to remove the whole think from inside of the cabin but not the cable.

Thanks for your advise guys
I'm not exactly sure what's going on with your situation, but have you gotten the code read(OBDII scanner at least, BMW specific if possible)? I have three pedals so I'm not exactly sure what else could trigger it. Get the code read so you have a better idea of the cause of the issue. As for the part, check out www.realoem.com and see what you can find there.

Has already been awarded the title "Destroyer of Sleep"
Old 12-18-2010, 09:00 AM

Mein Auto: 2002 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcourcoul View Post
This is truly one of those immortal threads. And as I've said more than once, after seeing it reappear every so often, I have inspected, pored over and meditated on the Bimmer's console and have yet to figure how you guys manage to get a coin in there. Unless mine came with a special deluxe coinproof console OR all your shifter boots are very completely and seriously fukked up, I have yet to find a way how the damn coin finds ITS way into the shifter.....

Edit: of course, not having rugrats loose in the car, not ever and not in the forseeable future, may explain the cause and effect....
It happened to me. I discovered the culprit this morning. A nickel was preventing the shifter from going fully into park, thus not allowing the key to be released from the ignition. If you pull out the little compartment immediately in front of the shifter, theres a hole below the part that comes out. I guess coins somehow find their way between the part that comes out and the actual place where it sits, and falls inside the hole into the shifter compartment. The nickel was in an obvious spot for this to have happened.
Old 02-11-2011, 07:41 AM

Mein Auto: 2000 740iL 255/35ZR20
Key stuck in position between start and off

I took the center console apart and checked everything but discovered nothing out of order except the flimsy ash tray being what it is. Checking the fuses proved to be futile. I decided to pull the negative battery terminal for a few minutes and that worked. The ignition released and I cleaned the lock & key with electrical cleaner just to be on the safe side. I discovered that the steering column does not lock reliably 100% of the time and has to be assisted by pressing the key hole. That may be the problem but not for sure. Hope this helps someone.