BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

VinceTopasBlau3 - Got an Idea for Step

2K views 21 replies 10 participants last post by  sp330i 
#1 ·
Love the Step reversal and I actually use the M mode now, something I didn't do prior to the mod. But (and there is always at least one) I don't like to stay in the M mode for very long, I usually go into S and when I want the RPM control select my M mode gear and then more than not, go into D and back to S to be in sport mode ugain till the next time I want M. Here is the thing, in all your research, have you seen a way that the gear release button on the knob ( you know, that thing that gave me a black eye) could be used to reset the M mode to S mode as if you were to wire the S to D mode switch into that button? That way, I could be in M, then press the button and be in S again without having to move the shifter over to the D gate and back. Just an idea and would be VERY useful at least for me...

Keep me posted on the SMG switches! TIA :thumb:

#4 ·

Ha! Stepper geeks of the world unite! :D

Thumbs up to LilEccentricJ for the sound plan! :thumb:

I too felt the inconvenience going back and forth. Here's what I think: I doubt I can hook up the gear release trigger to activate the "S" mode again. The mechanism in the gear knob (with the trigger) looks a little hazy to me, unless I know how to re-stitch.

BUT...it can still be done with an external switch.The "S" mode is activated by a switch (as seen in ELE-151, Bentley). We activated this switch by swinging from right to left. I can however, try setting up a parallel switch to this "S" switch. This parallel switch can be built into the panel of switches along with the DSC, HK etc. Perhaps with the word "Sport"? ;)

So, if this works, that means you could be driving in "M", and all you need is press the "Sport" switch and you're back in "S". How does this sound?

Feedback pple! Feedback!! :D

#5 ·
Maybe wire a foot switch to the top of the dead pedal or a small bush button to install in the indicator plate that is wrong (for me) anyways, like right between the M - S? Anyway, this would be great!!!!

#7 ·
Re: ....

Hmmm. No, I think the "re-Sport" switch needs to be on the shifter, or it needs to be activated by your left foot. It's faster and easier just to rock the lever right-left than it would be to (1) take your eyes off the road, (2) find the button, (3) push the button.

The shifter needs a thumb-button on the left side.

VinceTopasBlau3 said:
Ha! Stepper geeks of the world unite! :D

Thumbs up to LilEccentricJ for the sound plan! :thumb:

I too felt the inconvenience going back and forth. Here's what I think: I doubt I can hook up the gear release trigger to activate the "S" mode again. The mechanism in the gear knob (with the trigger) looks a little hazy to me, unless I know how to re-stitch.

BUT...it can still be done with an external switch.The "S" mode is activated by a switch (as seen in ELE-151, Bentley). We activated this switch by swinging from right to left. I can however, try setting up a parallel switch to this "S" switch. This parallel switch can be built into the panel of switches along with the DSC, HK etc. Perhaps with the word "Sport"? ;)

So, if this works, that means you could be driving in "M", and all you need is press the "Sport" switch and you're back in "S". How does this sound?

Feedback pple! Feedback!! :D

#8 ·
replies...

LilEccentricJ: Installing the switch on the dead pedal is a big no-no. Why? Cos there is exactly where you will rest your foot. I bet there will be times you totally forgot about switch and accidentally step on it. You wouldn't want the switch anywhere else, like on the shift knob, where you might *accidentally* activate the system, even in "D" mode. But a small button on the bezel sounds like a better idea. Also, I am thinking of maybe using one of the phone button on the multifunctional steering wheel. I presume most of us aren't using that right?

Alee: What silver shifter? It's titanium shadow! :thumb:

fuselier: Like I mentioned to LilEccentricJ, on bezel is good, not on shifter. What if you're in "M" and shifts aggressively, perhaps on track or autoX, and you might occasionally end up in "S". As for your 3-step approach to activate a button, I never took my eyes off the road to deactivate the DSC, it's intuitively there.

#9 ·
Re: replies...

VinceTopasBlau3 said:
LilEccentricJ: Installing the switch on the dead pedal is a big no-no. Why? Cos there is exactly where you will rest your foot. I bet there will be times you totally forgot about switch and accidentally step on it. You wouldn't want the switch anywhere else, like on the shift knob, where you might *accidentally* activate the system, even in "D" mode. But a small button on the bezel sounds like a better idea. Also, I am thinking of maybe using one of the phone button on the multifunctional steering wheel. I presume most of us aren't using that right?
OK so steering wheel button or bezel button would work... but I would love to use that push button already in the shifter, there has got to be a way! You said stitching before, mine is wood like and it is a very simple part, maybe there could be a way to hollow it out for a switch... I'll think about that after I know how to tap into the switch.

#10 ·
Re: Re: replies...

LilEccentricJ said:

OK so steering wheel button or bezel button would work... but I would love to use that push button already in the shifter, there has got to be a way! You said stitching before, mine is wood like and it is a very simple part, maybe there could be a way to hollow it out for a switch... I'll think about that after I know how to tap into the switch.
I agree. Dead pedal :thumbdwn: panel switch :thumbdwn: Suggestions from me = 0

#11 ·
Big no-no on the shifter..

Here's why.

The PRND is one module (label this Module A) and the S, M+,M- is another module (label this Module B). Module A and B are parallel ciruits and they operate on a "OR" logic. Either you are using "D" or "S", in Module A or Module B.

Ok, if we build the switch into the trigger, tons of problems will arise. For instance, what if you're in "D" and wants to go to "R"? The trigger will have to be activated. That essentially sends a "S" signal to the transmission control unit. Before going to "R", you have to pass through "N". Now the unit receives both "S" and "N" signals, finally arriving at "R", the unit receives both "S" and "R".

Now..we wouldn't want to confuse our car do we? ;)

#12 ·
Re: Big no-no on the shifter..

VinceTopasBlau3 said:
Here's why.

The PRND is one module (label this Module A) and the S, M+,M- is another module (label this Module B). Module A and B are parallel ciruits and they operate on a "OR" logic. Either you are using "D" or "S", in Module A or Module B.

Ok, if we build the switch into the trigger, tons of problems will arise. For instance, what if you're in "D" and wants to go to "R"? The trigger will have to be activated. That essentially sends a "S" signal to the transmission control unit. Before going to "R", you have to pass through "N". Now the unit receives both "S" and "N" signals, finally arriving at "R", the unit receives both "S" and "R".

Now..we wouldn't want to confuse our car do we? ;)
Vince
Well thought out:thumb: I commend your creative ideas and in-depth analysis:D After all you were the original "reverso" kid:thumb:

#13 ·
Vince, you well put into words what I was feeling conceptually. Something felt square peg in round hole. Still, it seems like BMW could have come up with a way to go back to S without having to go thru D, like an extra pull after 5 or an extra push after 1, assuming you've done the Vinco (pronounced Vin so) Reverso.:D Did I give you an idea?:angel:

#14 ·
Maybe after Vince gets paddles working, he can get it back into SD by pulling on both paddles simultaneously.

I believe in the Ferrari F1 system, that brings up neutral, but maybe Vince can get it to do from M to SD.

-Al

#16 ·
johnlew said:
Still, it seems like BMW could have come up with a way to go back to S without having to go thru D, like an extra pull after 5 or an extra push after 1.....
I thought I was the only one who found this to be a little cumbersome. I typically drive in D, ocassionally will go to M but after I have finished play in M I may want to keep it in S. It just seems silly to me to have to go through this routine of sliding the shifter side to side to go from M to S (where I originally started).

My M3 will be a 5 speed. I'll just have to tollerate the clutch in LA traffic! :cry:

#18 ·
Replies

PM 325xiT: Thanks for your comments! Always trying to help the stepper community!:thumb:

johnlew: Not sure what you meant by the "square" peg. Care to enlighten me further?? ;)

alee:Thanks for the feedback about using the paddles. I have already been thinking about that all day. In fact, I might add an extra button to activate the paddles, even when the shift is in SD. Safety issue. :)

Chipster: Thanks for the feedback too!

Lastly to LilEccentricJ and johnlew, I bet that you guys will be so tempted to retrofit the paddles once the project is complete. :D Trust me it's the next best modification for a steptronic! :thumb:

=================

So...back to the "S" switch. Do we have other ideas floating around? Currently, we have the either the bezel button or the panel button or an existing button on steering wheel or this...

Notice the SPORT round button on the shift bezel. Size and dimension of this new bezel *should* fit onto our models. ;)

#19 ·
LilEccentricJ said:
Here is the thing, in all your research, have you seen a way that the gear release button on the knob ( you know, that thing that gave me a black eye) could be used to reset the M mode to S mode as if you were to wire the S to D mode switch into that button?
What do you mean it gave you black eye ? Did you switch out the knob for a new one ?

#20 ·
Re: Replies

VinceTopasBlau3 said:

So...back to the "S" switch. Do we have other ideas floating around? Currently, we have the either the bezel button or the panel button or an existing button on steering wheel or this...

To go back to S without having to go thru D, an extra pull after 5 or an extra push after 1 when in M mode. Any merit to this?

#21 ·
Re: Re: VinceTopasBlau3 - Got an Idea for Step

Alan F said:

What do you mean it gave you black eye ? Did you switch out the knob for a new one ?
When I did the Step reversal I hit my self in the eye with the shift knob. That sucker is on tight and when it come free there was no stopping it! I know there were warnings everywhere but who reads the instructions? :dunno:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.