Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series

3 Series / 4 Series
The 3 Series / 4 Series Forum. If you would like to see all new posts in all the forums, click here.

Old 01-28-2002, 12:17 PM
pimpee

Send a message via AIM to LilEccentricJ
Mein Auto: 2004 GMC Duramax Diesel
VinceTopasBlau3 - Got an Idea for Step

Love the Step reversal and I actually use the M mode now, something I didn't do prior to the mod. But (and there is always at least one) I don't like to stay in the M mode for very long, I usually go into S and when I want the RPM control select my M mode gear and then more than not, go into D and back to S to be in sport mode ugain till the next time I want M. Here is the thing, in all your research, have you seen a way that the gear release button on the knob ( you know, that thing that gave me a black eye) could be used to reset the M mode to S mode as if you were to wire the S to D mode switch into that button? That way, I could be in M, then press the button and be in S again without having to move the shifter over to the D gate and back. Just an idea and would be VERY useful at least for me...

Keep me posted on the SMG switches! TIA :thumb:

New Sig SOON!!! Just need to find time to make an 11 MB flashing sig file for my new truck
Does anyone rememeber my BMW?
Ads by Google
Old 01-28-2002, 12:53 PM

Mein Auto: 330/540/318is/MB190SL
Know exactly what you mean, that would be great:thumb:
Old 01-28-2002, 01:27 PM
super-sexy

Send a message via AIM to Cowboy Send a message via Yahoo to Cowboy
Mein Auto: '02 325xiT
I've thought about that for a while now, and it would be BRILLIANT!

- Cowboy
Cowboy
Cowboy
Cowboy
******* src="http://www.rj3.net/bmw/misc/sig.swf?color=gradient" quality=high menu=false bgcolor=#bbbbbb WIDTH=160 HEIGHT=120 TYPE="application/x-shockwave-flash" PLUGINSPAGE="http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/download/index.cgi?P1_Prod_ Version=ShockwaveFlash">
RJ3
RJ3'02 BMW 325xiT Sport Wagon
RJ3Steel Blue / Sand / Myrtle Wood
RJ3PP / SP / CWP / HK / Bi-Xenon
RJ3PhatBox 30gb MP3 Player
Advocate of the E65 and E46
Old 01-28-2002, 01:53 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: bmw

Ha! Stepper geeks of the world unite!

Thumbs up to LilEccentricJ for the sound plan! :thumb:

I too felt the inconvenience going back and forth. Here's what I think: I doubt I can hook up the gear release trigger to activate the "S" mode again. The mechanism in the gear knob (with the trigger) looks a little hazy to me, unless I know how to re-stitch.

BUT...it can still be done with an external switch.The "S" mode is activated by a switch (as seen in ELE-151, Bentley). We activated this switch by swinging from right to left. I can however, try setting up a parallel switch to this "S" switch. This parallel switch can be built into the panel of switches along with the DSC, HK etc. Perhaps with the word "Sport"?

So, if this works, that means you could be driving in "M", and all you need is press the "Sport" switch and you're back in "S". How does this sound?

Feedback pple! Feedback!!

Technik Engineering ASA Stage 1 Supercharged E46 M54B25.
NASA TTD So Cal. Track blog: VSETrack

Old 01-28-2002, 02:15 PM
pimpee

Maybe wire a foot switch to the top of the dead pedal or a small bush button to install in the indicator plate that is wrong (for me) anyways, like right between the M - S? Anyway, this would be great!!!!

New Sig SOON!!! Just need to find time to make an 11 MB flashing sig file for my new truck
Old 01-28-2002, 02:32 PM
Super Moderator

Mein Auto: '13 E92 M3, '01 E46 330Ci
I'm still waiting for Vince to find a way to make the silver SMG shifter work on my car. That, followed by a launch control retrofit which does a neutral drop at 3500 rpm. :thumb:
Old 01-28-2002, 02:39 PM
Crotchety Old Fart

Mein Auto: 2009 328xiT, 2005 F650CS
Re: ....

Hmmm. No, I think the "re-Sport" switch needs to be on the shifter, or it needs to be activated by your left foot. It's faster and easier just to rock the lever right-left than it would be to (1) take your eyes off the road, (2) find the button, (3) push the button.

The shifter needs a thumb-button on the left side.

Quote:
Originally posted by VinceTopasBlau3
Ha! Stepper geeks of the world unite!

Thumbs up to LilEccentricJ for the sound plan! :thumb:

I too felt the inconvenience going back and forth. Here's what I think: I doubt I can hook up the gear release trigger to activate the "S" mode again. The mechanism in the gear knob (with the trigger) looks a little hazy to me, unless I know how to re-stitch.

BUT...it can still be done with an external switch.The "S" mode is activated by a switch (as seen in ELE-151, Bentley). We activated this switch by swinging from right to left. I can however, try setting up a parallel switch to this "S" switch. This parallel switch can be built into the panel of switches along with the DSC, HK etc. Perhaps with the word "Sport"?

So, if this works, that means you could be driving in "M", and all you need is press the "Sport" switch and you're back in "S". How does this sound?

Feedback pple! Feedback!!

Owner and operator of a 2009 328xiT, gray, chestnut brown leather, premium, cold weather, keyless, xenon, park assist.

Owner and operator of a 2005 F650CS, custom Corbin saddle, Givi topcase, ABS, heated grips, helmet spider.
Old 01-28-2002, 04:44 PM

replies...

LilEccentricJ: Installing the switch on the dead pedal is a big no-no. Why? Cos there is exactly where you will rest your foot. I bet there will be times you totally forgot about switch and accidentally step on it. You wouldn't want the switch anywhere else, like on the shift knob, where you might *accidentally* activate the system, even in "D" mode. But a small button on the bezel sounds like a better idea. Also, I am thinking of maybe using one of the phone button on the multifunctional steering wheel. I presume most of us aren't using that right?

Alee: What silver shifter? It's titanium shadow! :thumb:

fuselier: Like I mentioned to LilEccentricJ, on bezel is good, not on shifter. What if you're in "M" and shifts aggressively, perhaps on track or autoX, and you might occasionally end up in "S". As for your 3-step approach to activate a button, I never took my eyes off the road to deactivate the DSC, it's intuitively there.

Old 01-28-2002, 04:52 PM
pimpee

Re: replies...

Quote:
LilEccentricJ: Installing the switch on the dead pedal is a big no-no. Why? Cos there is exactly where you will rest your foot. I bet there will be times you totally forgot about switch and accidentally step on it. You wouldn't want the switch anywhere else, like on the shift knob, where you might *accidentally* activate the system, even in "D" mode. But a small button on the bezel sounds like a better idea. Also, I am thinking of maybe using one of the phone button on the multifunctional steering wheel. I presume most of us aren't using that right?
OK so steering wheel button or bezel button would work... but I would love to use that push button already in the shifter, there has got to be a way! You said stitching before, mine is wood like and it is a very simple part, maybe there could be a way to hollow it out for a switch... I'll think about that after I know how to tap into the switch.

Old 01-28-2002, 06:02 PM

Re: Re: replies...

Quote:
Originally posted by LilEccentricJ

OK so steering wheel button or bezel button would work... but I would love to use that push button already in the shifter, there has got to be a way! You said stitching before, mine is wood like and it is a very simple part, maybe there could be a way to hollow it out for a switch... I'll think about that after I know how to tap into the switch.
I agree. Dead pedal panel switch Suggestions from me = 0
Old 01-28-2002, 06:33 PM

Big no-no on the shifter..

Here's why.

The PRND is one module (label this Module A) and the S, M+,M- is another module (label this Module B). Module A and B are parallel ciruits and they operate on a "OR" logic. Either you are using "D" or "S", in Module A or Module B.

Ok, if we build the switch into the trigger, tons of problems will arise. For instance, what if you're in "D" and wants to go to "R"? The trigger will have to be activated. That essentially sends a "S" signal to the transmission control unit. Before going to "R", you have to pass through "N". Now the unit receives both "S" and "N" signals, finally arriving at "R", the unit receives both "S" and "R".

Now..we wouldn't want to confuse our car do we?

Old 01-28-2002, 06:51 PM
The Original Dr. Phil

Send a message via AIM to Dr. Phil
Mein Auto: 2012 135 coupe
Re: Big no-no on the shifter..

Quote:
Here's why.

The PRND is one module (label this Module A) and the S, M+,M- is another module (label this Module B). Module A and B are parallel ciruits and they operate on a "OR" logic. Either you are using "D" or "S", in Module A or Module B.

Ok, if we build the switch into the trigger, tons of problems will arise. For instance, what if you're in "D" and wants to go to "R"? The trigger will have to be activated. That essentially sends a "S" signal to the transmission control unit. Before going to "R", you have to pass through "N". Now the unit receives both "S" and "N" signals, finally arriving at "R", the unit receives both "S" and "R".

Now..we wouldn't want to confuse our car do we?
Vince
Well thought out:thumb: I commend your creative ideas and in-depth analysis After all you were the original "reverso" kid:thumb:
Old 01-28-2002, 07:18 PM

Vince, you well put into words what I was feeling conceptually. Something felt square peg in round hole. Still, it seems like BMW could have come up with a way to go back to S without having to go thru D, like an extra pull after 5 or an extra push after 1, assuming you've done the Vinco (pronounced Vin so) Reverso. Did I give you an idea?
Old 01-28-2002, 07:21 PM
Super Moderator

Mein Auto: '13 E92 M3, '01 E46 330Ci
Maybe after Vince gets paddles working, he can get it back into SD by pulling on both paddles simultaneously.

I believe in the Ferrari F1 system, that brings up neutral, but maybe Vince can get it to do from M to SD.

-Al
Old 01-28-2002, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by alee
Maybe after Vince gets paddles working, he can get it back into SD by pulling on both paddles simultaneously.

I believe in the Ferrari F1 system, that brings up neutral, but maybe Vince can get it to do from M to SD.

-Al
Maybe, but chances are I'll be up a street without a paddle.
Old 01-28-2002, 07:58 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 540-6spd 10/02 build
Quote:
Originally posted by johnlew
Still, it seems like BMW could have come up with a way to go back to S without having to go thru D, like an extra pull after 5 or an extra push after 1.....
I thought I was the only one who found this to be a little cumbersome. I typically drive in D, ocassionally will go to M but after I have finished play in M I may want to keep it in S. It just seems silly to me to have to go through this routine of sliding the shifter side to side to go from M to S (where I originally started).

My M3 will be a 5 speed. I'll just have to tollerate the clutch in LA traffic!
Old 01-28-2002, 08:04 PM
pimpee

Quote:
Originally posted by johnlew

Maybe, but chances are I'll be up a street without a paddle.
I'm thinking the same thing since I won't be swapping my steering wheel or rewiring the current one.

Old 01-28-2002, 09:39 PM

Replies

PM 325xiT: Thanks for your comments! Always trying to help the stepper community!:thumb:

johnlew: Not sure what you meant by the "square" peg. Care to enlighten me further??

alee:Thanks for the feedback about using the paddles. I have already been thinking about that all day. In fact, I might add an extra button to activate the paddles, even when the shift is in SD. Safety issue.

Chipster: Thanks for the feedback too!

Lastly to LilEccentricJ and johnlew, I bet that you guys will be so tempted to retrofit the paddles once the project is complete. Trust me it's the next best modification for a steptronic! :thumb:

=================

So...back to the "S" switch. Do we have other ideas floating around? Currently, we have the either the bezel button or the panel button or an existing button on steering wheel or this...

Notice the SPORT round button on the shift bezel. Size and dimension of this new bezel *should* fit onto our models.

Old 01-29-2002, 05:01 AM
Here since day one

Mein Auto: 535ix, GL450, 991S, NSX
Re: VinceTopasBlau3 - Got an Idea for Step

Quote:
Originally posted by LilEccentricJ
Here is the thing, in all your research, have you seen a way that the gear release button on the knob ( you know, that thing that gave me a black eye) could be used to reset the M mode to S mode as if you were to wire the S to D mode switch into that button?

What do you mean it gave you black eye ? Did you switch out the knob for a new one ?
Old 01-29-2002, 05:05 AM

Re: Replies

Quote:

So...back to the "S" switch. Do we have other ideas floating around? Currently, we have the either the bezel button or the panel button or an existing button on steering wheel or this...

To go back to S without having to go thru D, an extra pull after 5 or an extra push after 1 when in M mode. Any merit to this?
Old 01-29-2002, 07:54 AM
pimpee

Re: Re: VinceTopasBlau3 - Got an Idea for Step

Quote:
Originally posted by Alan F

What do you mean it gave you black eye ? Did you switch out the knob for a new one ?
When I did the Step reversal I hit my self in the eye with the shift knob. That sucker is on tight and when it come free there was no stopping it! I know there were warnings everywhere but who reads the instructions?

Old 01-31-2002, 08:45 PM
Be a race car Daddy!

Send a message via AIM to sp330i
Mein Auto: '01 330i SP, PP
Vince, I really like your idea of the phone button for switching from M to SD.

How about using two other buttons for shifting +/- too!

I wasn't interested in the step retro, but now I am. Can you send me your URL for the retro instructions.

Thanks!