Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Everything Else > Off-Topic

Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime safe" and in good taste. No personal attacks allowed. Political posting is restricted to the Political Science forum!

Old 12-17-2012, 10:00 AM
Here comes trouble!

Mein Auto: 2009 328i E90 :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plaz View Post
It's the equivalent of a "cable modem" -- I need something to take the coax feed and turn it into Ethernet. I don't really use its router functionality... I have but one device attached... the AirPort. And the Verizon router's WiFi functionality is disabled (by me).

I forgot to mention my Vonage router before too... and also my TiVo... so I guess it's 16 devices.
Interesting, I didn't know you could get FiOS over coax. I have fiber to the curb and then CAT-5 the rest of the way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by furby076 View Post
You will rue this day, RUE THIS DAY
Old 12-17-2012, 10:06 AM
•••••••

Mein Auto: '11 1M;'08 MCS;'02 325iT
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwinter View Post
Interesting, I didn't know you could get FiOS over coax. I have fiber to the curb and then CAT-5 the rest of the way.
That is interesting... I have fiber to my garage, then coax throughout the house. Your STBs take a Cat 5 input?
Old 12-17-2012, 10:13 AM
Here comes trouble!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plaz View Post
That is interesting... I have fiber to my garage, then coax throughout the house. Your STBs take a Cat 5 input?
Perhaps that is the difference. I only have FiOS internet service, no TV.

Quote:
Old 12-17-2012, 10:14 AM
•••••••

Quote:
Perhaps that is the difference. I only have FiOS internet service, no TV.
Ahhh, yes, that makes sense.
Old 12-17-2012, 11:53 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: A car
daim - I wish I could get those speeds...

Devices...

Our modem fronts up our cisco router, then we have 2 PCs on my desk, laptop, 2 PCs for Mrs wyb, 2 iphones, ipad, 2x PS3, 2xDVR, 1 Connected TV, 2 Connect AV receivers, Wii, wifi access point, Verizon mifi thingy 2 blu-ray players, then to the rack in the basement... 1 VoiP server, 1 test webserver, my media downloader pc, media pc, freenas box, 5 VoiP phones throughout the house, 1 ATA box with a fax on it - and I'm sure I forgot a couple of things - but that's 30+ devices (not counting switches of course) and I can only get 12mbit/sec... boohoo...

It's ALL perspective - get some. No - I am NOT addressing YOU!
Old 12-17-2012, 01:24 PM
Here comes trouble!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyb View Post
daim - I wish I could get those speeds...

Devices...

Our modem fronts up our cisco router, then we have 2 PCs on my desk, laptop, 2 PCs for Mrs wyb, 2 iphones, ipad, 2x PS3, 2xDVR, 1 Connected TV, 2 Connect AV receivers, Wii, wifi access point, Verizon mifi thingy 2 blu-ray players, then to the rack in the basement... 1 VoiP server, 1 test webserver, my media downloader pc, media pc, freenas box, 5 VoiP phones throughout the house, 1 ATA box with a fax on it - and I'm sure I forgot a couple of things - but that's 30+ devices (not counting switches of course) and I can only get 12mbit/sec... boohoo...
That's the most available? Ouch!

Hey, at least each member of the household usually one uses one device at a time, right???

Quote:

Last edited by cwinter; 12-17-2012 at 01:26 PM.
Old 12-17-2012, 02:04 PM
-- Robert S. Johnson 56FG

Mein Auto: 2008 535i

Verizon Fios, fiber to the house, coax to the computer.

I am on the 30 MB plan. We have two iPhones, an iPad, and a laptop connectible to the wifi, plus 3 Fios TVs, but I don't know what is now running out there.

535i, Monaco, Cream, Light Poplar, Comfort Seats, PP, Nav, ED.

Last edited by Kamdog; 12-17-2012 at 02:09 PM.
Old 12-17-2012, 02:35 PM

Quote:
That's the most available? Ouch!

Hey, at least each member of the household usually one uses one device at a time, right???
Yep - fastest I can get here is 12 down 3 up. CenturyLink techs working on the neighborhood told me I can get 40/20 from them - but when you call the muppets in their call centers, they tell me 12/0.8 - and as I run my own voip server, I'm not doing 0.8 up that's nucking-futs. Annoying thing is the engineers were ADAMANT that 40/20 was available 2 months ago here - sales people... say no-can-do.

yeah on the one device at a time - not strictly true... I have to throttle backups to the middle of the night and use the scheduler for downloading large files - anything into the multi-gig size is a no-no for 6AM to 10PM and if we're both on the phone (voip remember), backing up, netflix and trying to download a torrent - it's not a pretty deal...

Old 12-17-2012, 02:41 PM
Here comes trouble!

Quote:
Yep - fastest I can get here is 12 down 3 up. CenturyLink techs working on the neighborhood told me I can get 40/20 from them - but when you call the muppets in their call centers, they tell me 12/0.8 - and as I run my own voip server, I'm not doing 0.8 up that's nucking-futs. Annoying thing is the engineers were ADAMANT that 40/20 was available 2 months ago here - sales people... say no-can-do.

yeah on the one device at a time - not strictly true... I have to throttle backups to the middle of the night and use the scheduler for downloading large files - anything into the multi-gig size is a no-no for 6AM to 10PM and if we're both on the phone (voip remember), backing up, netflix and trying to download a torrent - it's not a pretty deal...
How do you run that? Just wondering, since in theory, 800 kbps is PLENTY to support 2 voice conversations simultaneously. Unless your server uses an awful coding scheme.

Quote:
Old 12-17-2012, 02:57 PM

Quote:
How do you run that? Just wondering, since in theory, 800 kbps is PLENTY to support 2 voice conversations simultaneously. Unless your server uses an awful coding scheme.
the voip server is on a dell server that does just about nothing - the conversation is fine with 2 - family have VoiP phones also - so we can in theory end up with 4 conversations running at once - and I'm not sure that the QoS is working that well - because we get jitter on the VoiP - it might not be setup optimally for codecs or something - the main problem is probably the son-in-law who works for us - he's on the phone a lot and that makes for jitter sometimes - and it's only sometimes. I actually don't think it's our setup - because it comes and goes - this cable provider sucks imo... I called this AM because I was only getting 1mbit up - they are send out an engineer tomorrow - the problem will be GONE tomorrow - it is basically gone NOW - even though I'm only getting 2.45mbit up - the jitter and ping are back to "normal" - so it's pretty ok on transferring anything - this AM... it was 130ms pings and garbage jitter according to pingtest.net.

Old 12-17-2012, 03:11 PM
Here comes trouble!

Quote:
the voip server is on a dell server that does just about nothing - the conversation is fine with 2 - family have VoiP phones also - so we can in theory end up with 4 conversations running at once - and I'm not sure that the QoS is working that well - because we get jitter on the VoiP - it might not be setup optimally for codecs or something - the main problem is probably the son-in-law who works for us - he's on the phone a lot and that makes for jitter sometimes - and it's only sometimes. I actually don't think it's our setup - because it comes and goes - this cable provider sucks imo... I called this AM because I was only getting 1mbit up - they are send out an engineer tomorrow - the problem will be GONE tomorrow - it is basically gone NOW - even though I'm only getting 2.45mbit up - the jitter and ping are back to "normal" - so it's pretty ok on transferring anything - this AM... it was 130ms pings and garbage jitter according to pingtest.net.
Your QoS might be fine but Century Link's QoS will treat any packet you send the same as those packets of other customers.

Most cellular voice codecs average less than 10 kbps. Of course, the old digital standard was 64 kbps for a DS0, which samples at 8 kHz per Nyquist, since the human voice encompasses about 4 kHz (really a bit less, there is guard band in there.)

Your jitter is likely due to QoS issues once packets leave your server, unless you contain the package completely within your VoIP server realm, which I don't think you do if you talk to someone outside of your family's home.

Quote:
Old 12-17-2012, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Your QoS might be fine but Century Link's QoS will treat any packet you send the same as those packets of other customers.

Most cellular voice codecs average less than 10 kbps. Of course, the old digital standard was 64 kbps for a DS0, which samples at 8 kHz per Nyquist, since the human voice encompasses about 4 kHz (really a bit less, there is guard band in there.)

Your jitter is likely due to QoS issues once packets leave your server, unless you contain the package completely within your VoIP server realm, which I don't think you do if you talk to someone outside of your family's home.
well the news is worse - most ISPs here use wholesale circuits from Level 3 and that company is run by demented chimanzees in my experience (if a data-center brags to me they have level 3 connectivity they go in the round-file when I am selecting locations for servers). Most of the DEN and north market is sewn up by Level 3... when we get jitter - I can traceroute most often and pick the effed up router from the list ... it's not hard and it's ALWAYS level 3 in my experience. It doesn't help that our wholesale voip origination and termination is handled out of Virginia...

Old 12-17-2012, 03:42 PM

Mein Auto: 09 135i
Quote:
well the news is worse - most ISPs here use wholesale circuits from Level 3 and that company is run by demented chimanzees in my experience (if a data-center brags to me they have level 3 connectivity they go in the round-file when I am selecting locations for servers). Most of the DEN and north market is sewn up by Level 3... when we get jitter - I can traceroute most often and pick the effed up router from the list ... it's not hard and it's ALWAYS level 3 in my experience. It doesn't help that our wholesale voip origination and termination is handled out of Virginia...
No Comcast Business where you are? First thing I did when I bought my house was go outside and unplug centurylink. 40/20 for 29.99 a month, can only imagine what the backend is like for that cheap, then they offer your priority service for an extra $14.99 a month. Their business packages are higher priced then Comcast the last time I checked, but you probably get better service if you go that route. I think 60/30 was $419 a month.
Old 12-17-2012, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ND40oz View Post
No Comcast Business where you are? First thing I did when I bought my house was go outside and unplug centurylink. 40/20 for 29.99 a month, can only imagine what the backend is like for that cheap, then they offer your priority service for an extra $14.99 a month. Their business packages are higher priced then Comcast the last time I checked, but you probably get better service if you go that route. I think 60/30 was $419 a month.
Nope - local cable market is BajaBroadband - a minor player - used to US Cable. Comcast is in the larger towns nearby. I'm on one of their "business" packages - but that just means they send me a tech when I tell them it's crappy and I get a different phone number to call - it's rubbish really. I'd actually take a centurylink connection at faster and balance them - my router will load balance or fail-over and I'd take the 2nd ISP as a fail-safe - then throttle-back the one I have least problems with. We're currently paying $80/month for internet I think -but Baja sent a notice that rates are going up 5% in the new year - why? Because they said it cost more to buy their TV stations which I don't use... grrr..

Old 12-17-2012, 04:00 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 530
Try this one:

http://www.ispgeeks.com/wild/modules...e=CapacityTest

It approaches testing by using increasing packet lengths (as I understand it), and advises you of the highest throughput you can attain without packet loss.

We have a 50M link in the building and I usually post in the 38+ range.

2007 530I
2003 325XI (gone)
2004 530I (gone)
2001 530I (gone)

BMW CCA Member 10+ Years
Old 12-17-2012, 04:00 PM

Mein Auto: 09 135i
How's your mobile coverage, probably get 3G that's faster? My buddy works out of his house in the sticks and uses a wireless point to point provider, but that can get expensive really quick.
Old 12-17-2012, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ND40oz View Post
How's your mobile coverage, probably get 3G that's faster? My buddy works out of his house in the sticks and uses a wireless point to point provider, but that can get expensive really quick.
Nope AT& coverage was crap here - moved to Sprint and it was EVEN worse - so they gave me some mifi thingy (I called it verizon, but it's sprint) - without that box which jumps on the broadband to give me a cell signal, the cellphone signal is a single bar to 2 bars on the ground-floor - 1 bar better upstairs, and 1 - nothing in the basement.

We have line of site wireless ISPs around here - but the hill is often covered in cloud and fog - and snow storms etc, kill that connection according to the neighbors who have it... ho-hum - we' really are on the best option available to us until someone brings fiber up the hill...

Old 12-17-2012, 07:29 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamdog View Post

Verizon Fios, fiber to the house, coax to the computer.

I am on the 30 MB plan. We have two iPhones, an iPad, and a laptop connectible to the wifi, plus 3 Fios TVs, but I don't know what is now running out there.
TWC LA

'13 320i Alpine White/Black/AT
Old 12-18-2012, 04:31 AM
•••••••

Quote:
Originally Posted by banglenot View Post
try this one:

http://www.ispgeeks.com/wild/modules...e=capacitytest

it approaches testing by using increasing packet lengths (as i understand it), and advises you of the highest throughput you can attain without packet loss.

We have a 50m link in the building and i usually post in the 38+ range.
79.9 / 38.9 / 99%
Old 12-27-2012, 10:09 AM
That Guy

Mein Auto: 99' 540i M-Sport

From my work PC

1985 335i
Black on Black coupe 5spd
R.I.P

1979 Trans Am 10th Anniversary
#16 of 5,683 made

KOI Import Parts-- 513-771-7777
Old 12-27-2012, 10:26 AM
Psychology Reversalist

Mein Auto: 528
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newman271 View Post

From my work PC
Old 05-19-2014, 09:50 AM
Super Moderator

Mein Auto: Fiver
Holy Moley, I just moved this weekend and hooked up the cable last night. And this is just the wireless connection with this new Netgear router/modem.

They explained that even though I only purchased "Turbo" speed which is up to 20 Mb/s, certain areas of LA and NYC just got a major speed upgrade, so I looked it up.

Quote:
Time Warner Cable Begins Major Internet Speed Increases in Los Angeles and New York City. April 22, 2014

http://online.wsj.com/article/PR-CO-...22-911458.html
Old 05-19-2014, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Dreamer View Post
Holy Moley, I just moved this weekend and hooked up the cable last night. And this is just the wireless connection with this new Netgear router/modem.

They explained that even though I only purchased "Turbo" speed which is up to 20 Mb/s, certain areas of LA and NYC just got a major speed upgrade, so I looked it up.
I wish...

Old 05-19-2014, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Dreamer View Post

test it again tonight during prime-time - when the most people are using streaming media (netflix, Amazon prime, hulu etc) - I wonder how much it drops then. Mine is normally 13-15mbit/sec during the day (I pay for a 13mbit/sec service) - but at night it can drop to 1.5 - that's the beauty of Cable - you don't get what you paid for in peak times generally... grrr..

Old 05-19-2014, 10:35 AM
Super Moderator

Mein Auto: Fiver
Quote:
test it again tonight during prime-time - when the most people are using streaming media (netflix, Amazon prime, hulu etc) - I wonder how much it drops then. Mine is normally 13-15mbit/sec during the day (I pay for a 13mbit/sec service) - but at night it can drop to 1.5 - that's the beauty of Cable - you don't get what you paid for in peak times generally... grrr..
OK, I will try tonight. But considering I thought I was paying for 20 and I'm getting 5 times that (over 100 (last night and this morning), I think I'll still be pretty happy even if it drops to half that.