Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 (2004 - 2010)

E60 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series (E60 chassis) was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E60 is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Old 02-24-2007, 06:53 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: MY07 530xi
IDrive display gone, no stereo . . .

I've got an appointment to take my car in for servicing, at least the 10th time in 11 months. This time the iDrive display is gone! I went to the store came out then nothing!
I just had the software upgraded because the Service Engine Soon display was on, now this. Anyone know if they're related problems with new software? I also noted that after the software upgrade that the Aux audio input level was way too low versus before the "fix".

Any information from thise having simular problems would be very helpful. I really hope BMW can get the gremlins out of the car this time!

Even though the car is only 11 months old, I've had too many trips in for servicing. I really like the car and enjoy driving it but the monthly visits to ther service center are annoying.
MY07 530xi Monaco Blue, Beige Interior, Steptronic, Premium Package, Cold Weather Package, Premium Sound Package, Sirius Radio, HD Radio, Navigation, Rear Sun Shades, Park Distance Control, Comfort Seats and Fold Down Rear Seats.
Advertisement
Old 02-24-2007, 06:56 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 BMW 550i
Quote:
Originally Posted by GolferEngineer View Post

I've got an appointment to take my car in for servicing, at least the 10th time in 11 months. This time the iDrive display is gone! I went to the store came out then nothing!
I just had the software upgraded because the Service Engine Soon display was on, now this. Anyone know if they're related problems with new software? I also noted that after the software upgrade that the Aux audio input level was way too low versus before the "fix".

Any information from thise having simular problems would be very helpful. I really hope BMW can get the gremlins out of the car this time!

Even though the car is only 11 months old, I've had too many trips in for servicing. I really like the car and enjoy driving it but the monthly visits to ther service center are annoying.
This almost certainly has to be a new-software problem. I took my car in due to the engine sometimes getting bogged down at low RPMs (and not downshifting). They didn't "find the problem" but did update the software. Since then, I have experienced at least 5 different times what you describe. In my experience, turning off the car and leaving it sit for a period of time causes it to recover. Turning the car off then immediately back on does not.

My Service Adviser had not heard of this, so if you happen to get it fixed and there's a TSB or whatnot, let me know what it is so I can point my dealer at it.

Thanks,
-jd
Old 02-24-2007, 07:02 AM
Happily Driving

Mein Auto: 2014 550i M Sport
Quote:

Did you try to reset iDrive?

Gone, but not forgotten:
2006 530i
, European Delivery June 2005
2008 335i Coupe 6MT, PCD November 2007
2011 550i M Sport, European Delivery May 2011

BMWCCA #350568
Old 02-24-2007, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me530 View Post
Did you try to reset iDrive?
How do I reset the iDrive
MY07 530xi Monaco Blue, Beige Interior, Steptronic, Premium Package, Cold Weather Package, Premium Sound Package, Sirius Radio, HD Radio, Navigation, Rear Sun Shades, Park Distance Control, Comfort Seats and Fold Down Rear Seats.
Old 02-24-2007, 08:13 AM

Mein Auto: '05 545i
Try rebooting iDrive. Press mute, CD eject & DVD eject simultaneously, and hold until iDrive shuts off and reboots.
Old 02-24-2007, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doogles View Post
This almost certainly has to be a new-software problem. I took my car in due to the engine sometimes getting bogged down at low RPMs (and not downshifting). They didn't "find the problem" but did update the software. Since then, I have experienced at least 5 different times what you describe. In my experience, turning off the car and leaving it sit for a period of time causes it to recover. Turning the car off then immediately back on does not.

My Service Adviser had not heard of this, so if you happen to get it fixed and there's a TSB or whatnot, let me know what it is so I can point my dealer at it.

Thanks,
-jd
Yep! Mine did the same thing! I left it overnight and now its back on. I called the service department and I'm going to take it in next week for servicing. I'll let you know what I find out.
Old 02-24-2007, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stream View Post
Try rebooting iDrive. Press mute, CD eject & DVD eject simultaneously, and hold until iDrive shuts off and reboots.
Thanks for the help. The display came back on after I let it set overnight per the posts above. I may need this "reset" in the future. Thanks!
Old 02-25-2007, 03:46 AM

Mein Auto: 2004 BMW 530i
I just got my e60 back from the dealer and they updated my software to enable BT & MP3. About four days later my i-drive screen was completely blacked-out. This now has happened on three separate occassion already. I never had this problem before, so I must relate it to the new software update. I have an appointment next week, will keep you guys posted on what happens.

Last edited by JTRIZZO; 02-25-2007 at 03:51 AM.
Old 02-25-2007, 03:55 AM

Mein Auto: '15 M3 DCT; '14 Stingray
Same symptoms, same fix...
Old 02-25-2007, 04:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber Ducky View Post
Same symptoms, same fix...
What was the "fix"?
Old 02-25-2007, 04:06 AM

Mein Auto: '15 M3 DCT; '14 Stingray
Quote:
What was the "fix"?
1. Leave overnight. Worked twice for me.
2. Three-finger salute (CD eject, DVD eject, volume). Only tried this once, but seemed to do the trick ... but also ejected the dvd and when reinserted, iDrive came to life. So cannot sort out whether it was the 3-finger salute, time passing, or reinserting the disc.

Am on ProgMan 24.1, as I remember the worksheet.
Old 02-25-2007, 04:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber Ducky View Post
1. Leave overnight. Worked twice for me.
2. Three-finger salute (CD eject, DVD eject, volume). Only tried this once, but seemed to do the trick ... but also ejected the dvd and when reinserted, iDrive came to life. So cannot sort out whether it was the 3-finger salute, time passing, or reinserting the disc.

Am on ProgMan 24.1, as I remember the worksheet.
Thanks!

I hope BMW addresses this software bug ASAP.
Old 02-28-2007, 09:43 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 530i
Same crap happen to me this morning

Just had my software updated about a week ago to fix idling issues...got gas this morning and when I got back into the car, stuck in the key and saw "black" on my i-Drive screen.
Old 03-01-2007, 02:46 PM

Two days in the shop so far

Quick update: My car has been in the shop for two full days so far. BMW wanted the service folks to try a software update. My service manager said they'd try it but I'm sure they've been trying to make it fail since the update.

I'll keep you all informed.
Old 03-01-2007, 03:22 PM
Running around in circles

Mein Auto: E46 ZHP
I hope they fix it asap. 10 trips to the service department in 11 months seems a lot. You probably know all the valets by now Call BMWNA and raise hell. Maybe they'll ofer you a 535xi replacement

Previous Bimmers ( All sorely missed ):
2007 Mystic Blue 530i - ED 12-15-06
2003 Grey Green 330i
2003 Electric Red 325iTa

Angular velocity is where it's at

-Jay
Old 03-01-2007, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcatral14 View Post
I hope they fix it asap. 10 trips to the service department in 11 months seems a lot. You probably know all the valets by now Call BMWNA and raise hell. Maybe they'll ofer you a 535xi replacement

That would be sweet!
Old 03-02-2007, 02:29 PM

Not Fixed After 3 Days

I got the car back after they did a software update via PUMA.

Stopped at the store on the way home and the stereo settings and steering wheel buttons reset again! This was another symptom of my problem. I have to take the car back in Monday to further evaulation.

The car worked before the software upgrade for the O2 sensitivity which caused my check engine light to come on.

If there is anyone from BMW reading this - HELP, PLEASE!
Old 03-07-2007, 12:48 PM
BMW NA Customer Relations

Mein Auto: B M W
Quote:

I got the car back after they did a software update via PUMA.

Stopped at the store on the way home and the stereo settings and steering wheel buttons reset again! This was another symptom of my problem. I have to take the car back in Monday to further evaulation.

The car worked before the software upgrade for the O2 sensitivity which caused my check engine light to come on.

If there is anyone from BMW reading this - HELP, PLEASE!
I'm with BMW of North America, LLC. I've passed this message on to a BMW NA Customer Relations Representative who will be in touch with you soon.
Old 03-07-2007, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vatkens View Post
I'm with BMW of North America, LLC. I've passed this message on to a BMW NA Customer Relations Representative who will be in touch with you soon.
Thanks!
Old 03-11-2007, 06:32 AM

I was hoping it was fixed but NO

My car had a PUMA software upgrade that BMW suggested to the dealer would fix the problem. Well, 10 days later the iDrive screen goes out again! I still don't have the audio levels for the Aux input corrected either. I was promised the Dealer would start a PUMA case but I haven't heard anything.

When I finally get this fixed, I'll post the resolutions.

Please BMW get it fixed- I love to have my car for even two months without having to visit for service!
Old 03-11-2007, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vatkens View Post

My car had a PUMA software upgrade that BMW suggested to the dealer would fix the problem. Well, 10 days later the iDrive screen goes out again! I still don't have the audio levels for the Aux input corrected either. I was promised the Dealer would start a PUMA case but I haven't heard anything.

When I finally get this fixed, I'll post the resolutions.

Please BMW get it fixed- I love to have my car for even two months without having to visit for service!
Old 04-01-2007, 08:00 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 530i
Same thing happened to me tonight...

'05 530i, just bought (CPO) with only 4,500 miles on it. Had Sirius installed by the dealer before picking it up. Two days after the purchase (today), I stopped on the way home from an out-of-town wedding. Came back to the car, and the idrive was "dead." No nav, no radio, no Sirius. Tried starting the car several times, thinking it needed to reboot, but that didn't work.

I drove it home with my wife in the passenger seat. We had a fairly long drive, so I took note of everything that was happening while the IDrive remained dormant. The Passenger airbag light above the mirror would flash intermittently (scaring my wife, who thought the airbag wasn't working). I thought it might be a problem with the DVD, so I tried to eject the disk. The DVD drive would not eject the disk when eject was pressed (did not know about re-boot trick at the time), and red lights around CD and DVD and mute button went off for a few seconds before coming back on. The small light above SOS flashed on and off every once in a while too (this may be normal, but I'm new to the car, so I noted it). When we got home, I brought our things upstairs and put the kids to bed. I went back down ten minutes later, and of course, it came right back on when I started the key. I rebooted the system for good measure with the three-button trick, but I'm taking it to be checked by the service department tomorrow anyway, because I am concerned about why this would happen (and also about the airbag light -- whether related to this or not). If anyone on this thread found a solution to this problem, please post it.

Thanks!
Old 04-01-2007, 08:02 PM
The King of Common Sense

Send a message via Skype™ to Dave 330i
Mein Auto:
Isn't trying to figure out i-Drive part of the driving experience of a BMW?

Swim upstream. Go the other way. Ignore the conventional wisdom. If everybody is doing it one way, there’s a good chance you can find your niche by going exactly in the opposite direction", Sam Walton.
Old 04-02-2007, 10:33 AM
Hofmeister kink ftw!1!!1!

Mein Auto: 2012 X5 35i Premium
+1 for me. Software update was done almost a month ago on my 2005 545i, and 3 or 4 times since then I've gotten the black iDrive screen, no radio, etc. Resetting the iDrive does NOT work to bring it back when it's blacked out like this.

I've let my service advisor know, and I'm hoping to hear back via this thread if a cause has been positively identified.

There seems to be a trend here; hopefully a definite cause and thus a fix will be found!
Old 04-02-2007, 10:44 AM

I hope they fix it this time!

All,
I'm scheduled to have my car upgraded tomorrow to fix the blank iDrive display problem. A PUMA software fix a few weeks ago didn't help and BMW NA contacted me and said the new software will be available 4/1/2007 to fix the iDrive blanking problem. Hopefully, this isn't an April Fool's joke! Even though BMW NA said only a software upgrade was required, the delaer is also replacing the control unit.

Please contact your dealer and BMW NA if necessary. In a way I'm glad to hear that a few more folks have this problem - please don't dismiss it since it should never happen.
On another note, I hope this "fix" also corrects the low Aux audio problem I've had ever since they did the software upgrade to fix the O2 sensitivity - this is when my iDrive problems started.

I realy hope to have good news for all of you in a few days.