Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 (2004 - 2010)

E60 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series (E60 chassis) was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E60 is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Old 10-19-2007, 04:55 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '15 M3 DCT; '14 Stingray
Have never had the blank-screen problem in my E93, but in wife's 550i lt shows up with annoying frequency.

But may have a clue on the source (after dealer struck out on repeating the problem). I think it lies in the DVD player that holds the navi disc. Ejecting and reinserting the disc seems to cure it. Had to thump the dash with my fist to get the DVD to eject.

If same prob/cure repeats for me, intend to take car to dealer and request a swap-out of the DVD gear. Will post results.
Old 10-19-2007, 05:25 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 535
Someone asked earlier and I repeat: Is the I-Drive problem showing up only in vehicles with NAVI? We're considering ordering a 5-series without NAVI since we have a Garmin, but this problem would make me really crazy.
Old 10-19-2007, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diana View Post
Someone asked earlier and I repeat: Is the I-Drive problem showing up only in vehicles with NAVI? We're considering ordering a 5-series without NAVI since we have a Garmin, but this problem would make me really crazy.
Have no familiarity with iDrive/no-navi. If this combo uses a DVD to load the program, would guess comparable potential for issue (assuming my theory is right). If the program is loaded in some other way, would guess no probs.

IMHO, the latest BMW navi is pretty good and (with progress in RTTI data timeliness) will only get better. The 5-series gives you option of HUD. With BMW navi, it's a great combo (and no sense at all without the navi).
Old 11-03-2008, 09:40 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 1M on order!
Quote:
Originally Posted by diana View Post
Someone asked earlier and I repeat: Is the I-Drive problem showing up only in vehicles with NAVI?
I don't have nav and this just happened to me.

Any fixes for this yet?
Old 11-03-2008, 11:26 AM

Mein Auto: MY07 530xi
I've just been getting software upgrades every time it has happened!
MY07 530xi Monaco Blue, Beige Interior, Steptronic, Premium Package, Cold Weather Package, Premium Sound Package, Sirius Radio, HD Radio, Navigation, Rear Sun Shades, Park Distance Control, Comfort Seats and Fold Down Rear Seats.
Old 06-20-2010, 05:49 PM

Mein Auto: 04 X5 4.4 Sport
Our 05 530i iDrive screen died. No navigation on it. The only thing dead is the screen and the "ding ding" noise (door open, key left in etc) no longer plays. Radio controls buttons light up, but doesn't do anything.

I checked every fuse I could find, since it seems like a power issue, but all seem fine.

Any advice before I call the dealer?
Old 06-20-2010, 10:56 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 550i Sport w/SAT
Quote:
Originally Posted by y2khardtop View Post
Our 05 530i iDrive screen died. No navigation on it. The only thing dead is the screen and the "ding ding" noise (door open, key left in etc) no longer plays. Radio controls buttons light up, but doesn't do anything.

I checked every fuse I could find, since it seems like a power issue, but all seem fine.

Check the Micro Power Module (MPM) in the spare wheel well of the trunk. Often times they get wet and short out. If that happens, you lose the iDrive screen.

Look here and the links it contains for more info:
http://forums.5series.net/topic/9277...are-wheel-well

2008 Alpine White 550i w/Sport Package, Sport Automatic Transmission, Ventilated Comfort Seats in Beige Nasca Leather, Dark Poplar Wood, NAV, HUD, Active Steering, Comfort Access, Night Vision, Lane Deviation Warning, Active Cruise Control, Cold-Weather Package, Heated Rear Seats, Folding Rear Seats, Rear Sunshades, Rear Air Bags, Logic 7, HD Radio, Sirius Satellite Radio, iPod/USB Adapter.
Build completed June 4, 2007

2004 Alpine White 545i SMG -- gone but not forgotten!
Old 06-21-2010, 03:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2khardtop View Post

Have you tried a reset? Search threads....
Old 09-23-2010, 07:43 AM

Mein Auto: E60 530dse
iDrive dead - no CD eject button to do 3 button reset

Guys - just joined this community today, hope you might be able to help. I have a 2003 model E60 530dse with a dead iDrive. I have the DVD drive for nav, but no CD drive (have 6 disc changer in glove box) hence can't perform the 3 button reset advised in this thread. I have tried holding the mute/volume button and DVD eject buttons simultaneously - nothing happens. Also disconnected the battery for around 15 mins - again no success. Ignition on the instrument cluster shows the warning triangle against the clock to reset the time. Car starts and runs fine. Any thoughts on how I resolve this myself? I'm in the UK and the car is a UK model (RHD).
Thanks a lot.
Old 09-23-2010, 07:12 PM

Mein Auto: m5
hi everybody. in 7 months this happened 3 times to me and i thought it was the heat(cause it all happened in july this year!). what helped me either leave it overnight or if i kept driving it would reboot itself in like 15 minutes completely back to normal
Old 03-15-2012, 09:24 PM

Mein Auto: 525i
idrive went dead

Hello every one. I've done a lot of reading about the idrive issue. I wanted to tell my experience and how I resolved it.

1st of my car was out of warranty 55K miles on it . I got in one morning to go to work and out of no where my sreen went black. My idrive knob spun freely. I was already thinking of the money this is going to cost me. Any how I hopped on the web and started researching and found out that my MPM ...micro power module was bad or so I hoped. I went to the dealer bought a new one for $155.00 came home installed and all was well again. I moved the MPM to a different location. It was a bad design issue putting such a sensitive electronic device in the bottom of the trunk under the spare tire. I moved mine to the driver side wheel well or compartment.

Any how I didnt need to reprogram anything just plug and play. I think I saved a lot of money because I can see where BMW would want to change everything and take $2800 from me like they've done to others....

Anything happens to your car My advice is READ READ and read some more...more than likely you are not alone.

thanks to all on bimmerfest....awsome site
Old 03-19-2012, 01:57 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 550i
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizzy23 View Post
Hello every one. I've done a lot of reading about the idrive issue. I wanted to tell my experience and how I resolved it.

1st of my car was out of warranty 55K miles on it . I got in one morning to go to work and out of no where my sreen went black. My idrive knob spun freely. I was already thinking of the money this is going to cost me. Any how I hopped on the web and started researching and found out that my MPM ...micro power module was bad or so I hoped. I went to the dealer bought a new one for $155.00 came home installed and all was well again. I moved the MPM to a different location. It was a bad design issue putting such a sensitive electronic device in the bottom of the trunk under the spare tire. I moved mine to the driver side wheel well or compartment.

Any how I didnt need to reprogram anything just plug and play. I think I saved a lot of money because I can see where BMW would want to change everything and take $2800 from me like they've done to others....

Anything happens to your car My advice is READ READ and read some more...more than likely you are not alone.

thanks to all on bimmerfest....awsome site
Do you have the exact part number for future reference?
Black powercoated OEM wheels, matte black kidney grills, shadowline rear "550i" emblems.
Reus Audio System
http://www.socal28.com/bmw/socal28bmw.htm
Old 03-19-2012, 02:44 PM

Mein Auto: 525i
Part number for MPM

Sure ,

BMW 61356982347 MPM / Located under spare tire inside trunk
Old 09-01-2012, 05:01 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 1 series convertible
Hi. My idrive is cutting out and (a bit later) restarting itself on a pretty random basis. It cuts out after about a minute (roughly). I've only just bought the car and I'm new to BMW so obviously I'm gutted. Are my problems similar to those above on this forum, or have I got a different problem. One desperate hope I have is that it might have something to do with the key (which is on low power). I'd welcome any advice if some-one has had similar experience.
Old 09-01-2012, 06:15 AM
Drink E85 & inject Meth

Mein Auto: 2008 535xi
Sorry. Your key has no effect on what is happening.
Old 03-29-2013, 04:56 AM

Mein Auto: 545i
Ive got a545i anmy i drive has gone out my radio seatbelt chimes an also the sensors on front bumper an bck bumper. The mpm module does not have any power coming out of it at all. Im asumeing the mpm is bad? Can sumone tell me where can get 1 or anybbody happen have a mpm forsale thanx