Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Everything Else > Off-Topic

Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime safe" and in good taste. No personal attacks allowed. Political posting is restricted to the Political Science forum!

Old 02-25-2007, 05:04 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E36 M3
Have Trailer: No Title, No Tags No VIN. What to do?

A friend of mine and I bought an old motorcycle trailer off this guy to tow our bikes around to track days. My dumb ass looses the title on the way home . So, now we have a track day at VIR in 12 days, a trailer that works but not sure how to get a plate for it. The seller has applied for a replacement PA title (he applied a week or so ago) but I doubt it will come in time. The trailer is so old the sticker (or whatever) with the VIN number is long gone.

Anyone have any experience with this? Can I go to the DMV and get a new title issued if I have a bill of sale?

Ugg. I suck.
Old 02-25-2007, 06:05 PM
The King of Common Sense

Send a message via Skype™ to Dave 330i
Mein Auto:
Maybe you and Scott ZHP can cry together. http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...ght=ebay+title

Sorry.

Swim upstream. Go the other way. Ignore the conventional wisdom. If everybody is doing it one way, there’s a good chance you can find your niche by going exactly in the opposite direction", Sam Walton.

Last edited by Dave 330i; 02-25-2007 at 06:08 PM.
Old 02-25-2007, 06:06 PM
Go Gators

Send a message via AIM to BmW745On19's
Mein Auto: 745i
Go down to the DMV and register it as a new trailer, it costs $$$ but I think its your only solution if you don't find the title.

The Only 745i to Consider
Old 02-25-2007, 06:09 PM
The King of Common Sense

Send a message via Skype™ to Dave 330i
Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BmW745On19's View Post
Go down to the DMV and register it as a new trailer, it costs $$$ but I think its your only solution if you don't find the title.
Don't you need a bill of sale, and the VIN with the legal transfer of ownership to do that?

Or, you can tell DMV you welded it together in your garage.

Swim upstream. Go the other way. Ignore the conventional wisdom. If everybody is doing it one way, there’s a good chance you can find your niche by going exactly in the opposite direction", Sam Walton.
Old 02-25-2007, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BmW745On19's View Post
Thanks, that's good advice.

I don't mind the $$$ because right now I'm on the clock (12 days till VIR) and it's more then just me depending on the trailer. It was my f!ck up so I'll take the beating I've got coming.

The trailer has no VIN which I'd be a bit worried about. I can get a bill of sale no problem. I bought it off a friend of a friend and he's been cool with trying to get things straight.
Old 02-25-2007, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 330i View Post
Maybe you and Scott ZHP can cry together. http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...ght=ebay+title

Sorry.
OMG, poor Scott. At least my situation is my own **** up and will just need time to fix. The upside is he'll end up with a sweet Triumph .
Old 02-25-2007, 06:44 PM

Mein Auto: M3, 745li, Speclzd FSR Pr
Man PA is so tough on cars, registration, etc.... Do they still inpect your brakes?
Old 02-26-2007, 08:01 AM
We want the Lion!

Mein Auto: 03 ZHP, 01 X5, 73 MGB
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulmurphyhomes View Post
Man PA is so tough on cars, registration, etc.... Do they still inpect your brakes?
Yep, every year. They pull a wheel and inspect the pad thickness. The "safety" inspection has about 30 checks (horn, lights, wipers, no holes in the body, bumpers, signals...)

It's a racket to keep small shops in business...

About your only option is for the seller to apply for a duplicate title; takes awhile though. You dont own it, so there's nothing you can do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Bob View Post
JUST...LOOK...UNDER...THE...CAR....for Chrissakes....it`s like checking to see if a dog is male or female....
Quote:
Originally Posted by smolck View Post
A bimmer with forced induction should have a proper manual gearbox. Anything less is like french kissing your sister.
Old 02-27-2007, 04:52 AM

Mein Auto: Yes.
In Michigan trailers don't get titles. You just take your Bill of Sale to the Secretary of State office and they give you a license plate and registration. Trailer registration is also lifetime in our state, so you never have to renew.

If the trailer is brand new you need the Bill of Sale and Manufacturers State of Origin.

I've bought/registered 2 trailers, 1 brand new enclosed and one used open bed and I've never had to have anything inspected or anything, sounds like PA is a pain in the a$$.

Also, can't you tow a trailer without plates as long as the plate on the towing vehicle is still visible?
Old 02-27-2007, 06:47 AM
On Top

Send a message via AIM to SWISS Send a message via Yahoo to SWISS
Mein Auto: E30 S52 / S52 M roady
I would just go rebel style and use it with no papers, but I'm ganksta like that.