Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)

E36 (1991 - 1999)
The E36 chassis 3-Series BMW was a huge hit among driving enthusiasts from the first moment the car hit the pavement. The E36 won numerous awards over the years it was produced and is still a favorite of many BMW enthusiasts to this day! -- View the E36 Wiki

Old 04-06-2011, 10:05 PM
Smiling from gear to gear

Mein Auto: '03 540i M-sport
P0340 code remains after replacing CPS

My 328is is still giving me a CPS code, even after replacing the CPS twice from different manufacturers. I've investigated this for awhile now, and tested a few other parts I thought might be causing this problem

-tested vanos solenoid
-cleaned sticking vanos piston
-checked for frayed wires

I checked my o2 sensors, and my post cat sensor is not ocillating correctly (mostly staying at .9v and never going below .6v). Although I'm not sure this is related.

I really don't know if it is a wiring problem, because when the CPS sensor is unplugged the car will not start. I have the usual CPS symptoms rough cold starts, dying when not up to temperature, loss of power/economy etc...

Any ideas out there? Thanks in advance guys.

Note: P0340 is the only code on my computer

Last edited by LaCrosse540i6; 04-06-2011 at 10:07 PM.
Ads by Google
Old 04-07-2011, 05:27 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: rescued bmw's
well firstly, the rear o2 isn't supposed to follow the primary unit. if it did, that would be an indication of a nonfunctioning cat.

do you just have a scan tool, or are you able to get additional info?? are you able to see the cps signal, and did you check the freeze frame data for the specs??

is the connector itself solid and free of debris and tight fitting??

did you do a voltage drop test to the circuit?? what happens if you were to run a secondary ground on the ground circuit??

have you checked for tsb's in regards to this issue??

a power graphing meter would be a good tool to have to be able to have to check the signal, but i doubt it's going to be a faulty cps.

sorry to ask a lot of questions, but there are so many things that i 'see' without even thinking about it due to the past life as an automotive technician. it's a lot like trying to tell someone how to putt over the interwebs.

anyway, this is a place to start. i hope it offers some insight.

df
Old 04-07-2011, 08:02 PM

Thanks for the response DF. I'm using "torque" for android, I don't believe it can read CPS data.

I'll test the voltage and double check the connector this weekend.

I know there is a recall sticker present for the crank position sensor, but not the cam. Maybe I'll ring up the dealer and see if it was supposed to be done.
Old 11-09-2011, 05:14 PM

I know this is an older thread, but I thought I would follow up for anyone who might have this problem.

The first two sensors were aftermarket, I went OEM (VDO Siemens) and finally cleared the code.

The worst part is, the OEM sensor I bought from AzAutohaus was basically the same price as the aftermarket sensors!
Old 11-10-2011, 03:30 AM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: rescued bmw's
good to know. thanks for the heads up and follow up.

did you just guess at the reason, or did you notice something that tipped you off??

df
Old 11-10-2011, 05:21 AM

I read somewhere about another person who had a bad aftermarket sensor as well.

I checked everything else, and was out of ideas so I thought I would give it one last shot (OEM this time of course).

Glad to have the power back .
Old 04-09-2014, 02:06 PM

Mein Auto: 96 M3 / 99 K1200RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaCrosse540i6 View Post
I know this is an older thread, but I thought I would follow up for anyone who might have this problem.

The first two sensors were aftermarket, I went OEM (VDO Siemens) and finally cleared the code.

The worst part is, the OEM sensor I bought from AzAutohaus was basically the same price as the aftermarket sensors!
Thanks for the write-up.

My 96 M3 (recently purchased) is throwing a P0340 code

On cold starts you have to crank about 3 times
But runs fine otherwise, and start first time when warm

I got a cheapo aftermarket CPS and still throwing code after a short drive.
I will have to fork up the extra $$ to buy a VDO/Siemens one
and see it that solves the problem