Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)

E36 (1991 - 1999)
The E36 chassis 3-Series BMW was a huge hit among driving enthusiasts from the first moment the car hit the pavement. The E36 won numerous awards over the years it was produced and is still a favorite of many BMW enthusiasts to this day! -- View the E36 Wiki

Old 02-19-2015, 11:30 AM

Mein Auto: '98 328i '99 R1100r
To paint or not to paint????

Does a paint job offer enough re-sale value to justify the expense? My '98 328i sedan has seen better days paint-wise. I've tried all the swirl removers and various heavy cut polishes and compounds but the scratches and stains are just too deeply embedded. I plan on keeping the car for 2 to 4 years before I move up to an M series and I want it to look decent but a high end respray would cost more than I paid for the car and I'm pretty skeptical of a Maaco $500 quickie. Thoughts or ideas?
Advertisement
Old 02-19-2015, 11:33 AM
BMW CCA Member

Mein Auto: 128i M, M3, 325is M-Tech
A respray is not a bad idea. Maaco should be avoided. They don't do good prep-work and they don't use high pressure/high velocity spray guns either. Try and talk to some shops. Offer to bring them parts first and have them paint them. And do it slowly if you are keeping the car for 2 - 4 more years. Once you're ready to spray the rest of the car, your other panels will already be painted and all you have left is the chassis. ;-)
Harry // 1995 Avus Blue M3 - 1994 Alpine Weiss 325is M-Tech (converted to a true M3 prototype) - 2010 Black Sapphire Metallic 128i M - Sport // BMW CCA #453346 - North Capitol Chapter
My 325is M-Tech Restoration Thread
Old 02-19-2015, 04:21 PM

Mein Auto: 1997 E36
Sorry if this is kind of off topic but, do you know of anyone or have experience with having the hood painted a different color scheme? I just saw this post and did not think I should make a whole other post about it. I am only asking because I own a white e36 and I was thinking of painting the middle of the hood black. Not the whole hood. Would you recommend? Kind of like this picture but just the center where the hood rises a little...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	eurp_1006_08_o+readers_rides+1999_bmw_m3.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	151.0 KB
ID:	493387  
Old 02-19-2015, 04:30 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Send a message via ICQ to dc_wright
Mein Auto: '96 328iC, '04 325Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMGuy View Post
Does a paint job offer enough re-sale value to justify the expense? My '98 328i sedan has seen better days paint-wise. I've tried all the swirl removers and various heavy cut polishes and compounds but the scratches and stains are just too deeply embedded. I plan on keeping the car for 2 to 4 years before I move up to an M series and I want it to look decent but a high end respray would cost more than I paid for the car and I'm pretty skeptical of a Maaco $500 quickie. Thoughts or ideas?
No matter what you do (save for covering with real gold plating or cut diamonds) a $3K car is a $3K car and you can only alter that by a limited amount, and then you have to find the right buyer. Instead of market value you have to look at "paid for" older cars from a cost of ownership perspective. If putting a $1,500 paint job on the car motivates you to keep the car for another 4-5 years, then it's a better investment than going out and buying a $15K car where you'll pay far more out of pocket over the same period, and lose several times that in depreciation.
Old 02-19-2015, 04:55 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 96 328is
Makes sense DC. I'm in the same boat right now. I finally got my E36 sorted and the way I want it. I love and adore the car and will keep it until it can't go no more. No matter how I add it up, the car is worth way more to me than what I can sell it for. I'm going to invest in a $3000 respray this spring and I'm not batting an eye about it. I look at it like you, once it's painted, the cost of ownership goes way down since everything else is done.
Old 02-19-2015, 04:57 PM
Please, call me Brian.

Mein Auto: Ducati 916
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnaz View Post
A respray is not a bad idea. Maaco should be avoided.
I wish I had kept my old 540i that I had Maaco repaint a door for me. Someone kicked the door and put a basketball sized crunch in it. The repaint was done 2 days later and it looked flawless, I was very impressed. I wonder how it's held up almost 3 years later..
Old 02-19-2015, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_wright View Post
No matter what you do (save for covering with real gold plating or cut diamonds) a $3K car is a $3K car and you can only alter that by a limited amount, and then you have to find the right buyer. Instead of market value you have to look at "paid for" older cars from a cost of ownership perspective. If putting a $1,500 paint job on the car motivates you to keep the car for another 4-5 years, then it's a better investment than going out and buying a $15K car where you'll pay far more out of pocket over the same period, and lose several times that in depreciation.
The car drives so well that it makes me want an M series but realistically I need to hang on to it closer to 4 years. I'll have my wife's car paid off by then. I hope I can get it done for $1500. So far I'm seeing $3000 and up. Fingers crossed I'll find a decent price.
Old 02-19-2015, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanVII View Post
Sorry if this is kind of off topic but, do you know of anyone or have experience with having the hood painted a different color scheme? I just saw this post and did not think I should make a whole other post about it. I am only asking because I own a white e36 and I was thinking of painting the middle of the hood black. Not the whole hood. Would you recommend? Kind of like this picture but just the center where the hood rises a little...
I see it done a lot but I don't know what it would cost. Maybe a DIY vinyl wrap sheet would work better for you. A single sheet probably wouldn't cost much and you could do it yourself in a mornings work. If you don't like it you can take it off pretty easily I think. Just skip the coffee when you install ;D
Old 02-19-2015, 07:32 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: rescued bmw's
or plasti-dip.

figure that i will be going this route with the ti if the weather ever gets better and i can put humpty dumpty together again....

df
Old 02-19-2015, 08:08 PM

Mein Auto: 1997 E36
Quote:
I see it done a lot but I don't know what it would cost. Maybe a DIY vinyl wrap sheet would work better for you. A single sheet probably wouldn't cost much and you could do it yourself in a mornings work. If you don't like it you can take it off pretty easily I think. Just skip the coffee when you install ;D
I will look into that. Thank you.
Old 02-19-2015, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drivinfaster View Post
or plasti-dip.

figure that i will be going this route with the ti if the weather ever gets better and i can put humpty dumpty together again....
df
Now that sounds different, never heard of that before. I've used it on tool handles before but not like that.
Old 02-19-2015, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanVII View Post
I will look into that. Thank you.
I just looked at dipyourcar.com site. Looks intriguing!
Old 02-21-2015, 10:19 PM
Import and Euro Fanatic

Mein Auto: 1998 328i 5 Speed
not sure if this is an option where you live, but there are schools that teach bodywork, vocational for highschool, and tech college level. sometimes you can get those places to paint your car for a minimal cost, because they need subjects to use for the students to learn.
Old 02-22-2015, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diptenkrom View Post
not sure if this is an option where you live, but there are schools that teach bodywork, vocational for highschool, and tech college level. sometimes you can get those places to paint your car for a minimal cost, because they need subjects to use for the students to learn.
There is and I suppose I should give them a call. It's Lincoln College, I scoured their website but I couldn't find any info on that sort of thing.
Old 02-22-2015, 02:34 PM

Mein Auto: E36 328i
I would suggest a vinyl wrap job. A good wrap will look just as good as a good paint job and cost much less. You can do it in the same color as the car so the interior side of the doors and the engine bay is the same color so some people can't complain. Most, if not all of the GT race car organizations use vinyl.
Old 02-22-2015, 11:44 PM
Warm Leatherette

Mein Auto: 1998 BMW 328is
A high quality full vinyl wrap will probably cost you north of $2-3k, if not more, and I'm not aware of any that can last more than 4-5 years.

Vinyl is not used in race applications for its durability, but rather for its ease of applying complex patterns that will most likely be damaged during competition.

1998 BMW 328is
1966 Pontiac GTO
2007 Subaru Impreza 2.5i 5-door
View my photos: Caught in the Wild
For sale: E30/E36 front sway links
For sale: OEM E36 328 catback

Last edited by ZeGerman; 02-23-2015 at 07:52 AM.
Old 02-23-2015, 07:36 AM

I looked into vinyl wraps and I got estimates starting at $3000. Might as well paint it for that money. The plasti-dip is looking better all the time.
Old 02-23-2015, 07:51 AM
BMW CCA Member

Mein Auto: 128i M, M3, 325is M-Tech
Quote:
I looked into vinyl wraps and I got estimates starting at $3000. Might as well paint it for that money. The plasti-dip is looking better all the time.
Vinyl wraps, while really awesome to do for small areas like a roof or hood, is not recommended for the entire car, especially because of how comparable it is to doing a respray (as others have mentioned). A proper respray will last MUCH longer than a vinyl wrap, however, make sure the shop knows how to prepare the surface before painting, or else it will last as long as Vinyl or a Maaco respray will last. Make sure that after a respray is done, you look over the paint VERY carefully, and bring your phone with you as well. Take different angle pictures as well. The paint should be cured enough (takes 1 week to fully cure in summer heat) and dried to the touch. If it feels moist or you see runs, do not take the car and have them hold on to it longer.

The camera comes in handy by allowing you to look at multiple angles at the same time, in different lights (use the flash) to get a sense of the contrast to ensure proper color matching was done. You will notice it more on a flash camera than you will with the naked eye under direct sunlight (in cases where the paint looks almost exactly the same as the rest of the car).

Plastidip is great, but it doesn't hide rust very well. So if you have traces of rust, make sure to take care of them properly. Don't just plastidip it and call it a day. And also, plasti-dip chips and scrapes MUCH more easily, and is a pain to repair again (or at least from what I've read on the Subaru forums - NASIOC).

If anything, do it right the first time, and properly. Get it resprayed and call it a day.
Harry // 1995 Avus Blue M3 - 1994 Alpine Weiss 325is M-Tech (converted to a true M3 prototype) - 2010 Black Sapphire Metallic 128i M - Sport // BMW CCA #453346 - North Capitol Chapter
My 325is M-Tech Restoration Thread
Old 02-23-2015, 09:31 AM

No rust just swirls and scratches and apparently the previous owner parked under a tree and never cleaned the sap off. Lot's of sap stains. It's too far gone for a detail shop to get out so I'm looking for an economical option until I get my wife's car paid off and I can move into an M3. I can do the plasti-dip for under $500 myself. Actually lot's of people are doing full car wraps these days. Buying the large sheets and increasing popularity is probably the price is going up. Spending $3K to $4K for a car I paid $4K for seems counter-productive. I just bought the car a recently. If I wanted an $8K car I would've bought one. My biggest failing was that I think they must've used some type of color match wax/polish on it because the first time I washed it I had a "Holy crap" moment at all of the suddenly visible paint flaws. There were a few before but it was suddenly crazy nasty looking.
Old 02-23-2015, 09:39 AM

Mein Auto: 96 328is
In that case you should mask the car yourself and go to Maaco for a cheap paint job. Especially since you don't plan on keeping the car.
Old 02-23-2015, 09:50 AM
Import and Euro Fanatic

Mein Auto: 1998 328i 5 Speed
if the school idea doesn't pan out, and you don't mind taking the time, do some of the prep work yourself and then take it to MAACO. the main problem with them is that they don't prep well. you can get them to do a 2 step paint job and if you do some of the more intricate prep work up front then they cant mess it up in that regard. I'm not saying go out and sand and primer the whole car, but if you do some problem areas up front then their quick prep would be good enough on the large areas.