Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 03-06-2007, 12:11 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 X3 3.0
2007 X5 Off Road

I'm considering getting a new 2007 X5 4.8, but I have a few questions.

I need an SAV b/c I have two dogs, and do a lot of mountain and road cycling. I really love the 20 in wheels (and am not too crazy about the 19's that come with the Sport package). How are the 20's off road? I don't do any real off-roading, just the occasional gravel road or grass parking lot when going to mountain bike. Can I use the 20's offroad at all? Or will I need to change them out every time I want to go offroad?

I live in Texas, so snow is not much of an issue, but I do take occassional cross country trips to the north. I'll likely get a 2nd set of 18" wheels and tires. Should I get snow tires or all-season? How are snow tires on the highway at 80+ mph? How long do they last? Any recommendation for tires that are good in the snow, light offroading, and decent on-road performance?

Lastly, does anyone know how much Discount Tire (or any other place) charges to swap a wheel set? I'm thinking I might change the wheels just for road trips to the north or on mtn bike trips when I know I'll be offroad.

Thanks.
Advertisement