BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

low washer fluid warning....plenty of fluid left? (2007)

2K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  AzNMpower32 
#1 ·
All-

Has anyone else noticed this? The windshield washer warning light comes on, and stays on. However, when I check the resevoir under the hood, there is PLENTY of fluid left. I added some, and the light went off, and then came back soon. Again, plenty of fluid left. Probably half the the tank, which is a HUGE tank.

Faulty sensor or questionable design?

#2 ·
Mine comes on when there's approx <1/4 or 1/5 tank left, which isn't much if you have headlamp washers. The tank is huge, but it's not a perfect rectangle design because the wheelwell intrudes.

#3 ·
My '06 does the same thing. It's a huge tank, and there's always plenty left when the light comes on. However, I am usually able to add nearly 4 liters at that point, which shuts it up for a good while.

Mine came with the winter headlight washers. I don't like them. Here in the metro DC area, they aren't needed. You can't control whether they spray or not (they're linked to the windscreen washer), and they splash fluid all over your nice, clean hood.

I wish I could make them fire forward, for people who roll at the speed limit in the left lane with nobody in front of them. (No, just kidding. That would be too harsh.)

#4 ·
Mine came with the winter headlight washers. I don't like them. Here in the metro DC area, they aren't needed. You can't control whether they spray or not (they're linked to the windscreen washer), and they splash fluid all over your nice, clean hood.

I wish I could make them fire forward, for people who roll at the speed limit in the left lane with nobody in front of them. (No, just kidding. That would be too harsh.)
Where are you in the DC area? Here we get snow that never sticks on the road. So all that road spray blocks the windshield and forces you to use the washer fluid. Problem is, if your headlights are on (which they should be in poor driving conditions), the headlight washers will also squirt and they use a LOT of fluid. Just like how the rear washer sprays 4 times per one push on the stalk.

During the winter, I always joke that my X3 guzzles the washer fluid as fast as premium gasoline.

#5 ·
Thanks for all of the feedback, I guess it is just design.

I do agree about the headlight washers, I wish there were a separate button for those.

Anyone know if there is an easy way to disconnect just the headlight washers? I hate when I have a clean hood and it messes it up...Sometimes, if it is "dusk" conditions, I will shut off the lights when I wash. Not the best solution...

#6 ·
When I was stuck with low washer fluid in Canada with no place to buy more in sight, I would shut off the headlights for a sec, wash the windshield, then turn the headlights back on quickly. Not ideal, but so far its the best way.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.