Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > General BMW

General BMW
Use this forum to talk about general BMW news/stories and to chat with fellow enthusiasts about the direction that BMW is going in for their cars and/or motorcycles!

Old 06-29-2015, 04:36 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: honda civic
Question Question about buying, trading in used and non-BMW dealer

How do you determine the relative value when buying and trading in two different model year car? Like a 2010 528 vs 2012 328, etc? Do you go buy KBB value and pay the difference?

The other thing, what's the deal with a non-BMW dealer constantly buying BMW at auction and selling retail? Should I concerned? Carfax seems to show nothing, just one owner then goes to auction.

Thanks.

Last edited by whoever; 06-29-2015 at 04:39 AM.
Advertisement
Old 06-29-2015, 11:51 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 X1 xDrive28i
Figure dealers retail on the car you are buying minus trade-in for the car you are selling to him. Check a couple of sites KBB, Edmunds, NADA, etc. as they vary.
Old 06-29-2015, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimH46 View Post
Figure dealers retail on the car you are buying minus trade-in for the car you are selling to him. Check a couple of sites KBB, Edmunds, NADA, etc. as they vary.
So basically look around and guess the difference? I'm really bad at negotiating and stuff, that's why I'm usually buy new base model car. But a little tempted go for used this time.

Anyway, thanks for the tip, will check around.
Old 06-29-2015, 04:54 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 X1 xDrive28i
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoever View Post
So basically look around and guess the difference? I'm really bad at negotiating and stuff, that's why I'm usually buy new base model car. But a little tempted go for used this time.

Anyway, thanks for the tip, will check around.
No, not guessing. The sites will typically give you three numbers - dealer retail, private sale, and trade-in. Go to each site and look up the dealer retail for the car you are buying and the trade-in value for the car being traded in. Subtract the two. Do the same for each site to get a sense of how closely they compare. Hopefully they agree pretty well. However don't use the dealer retail number from one site and the trade-in number from another.
Old 06-29-2015, 06:45 PM

Mein Auto: 328i
If you're guessing you're not getting the best deal. Not that you'll get a bad deal.

Actually I believe in looking at the KBB dealer trade in on "good" condition low-end of the car you are BUYING. That's a little more than they paid for it. That's your anchor point on the negotiation of the car you are buying. This is how you can get the "inside info" on the used car you are dealing on. If a 31,000 used car has a 22k KBB dealer trade in, they paid 21k. That's their profit margin 10k. Your best bet is to private sale your used car for under KBB for private sale. That's a little out of my reach logistically though....

They will tell you they are losing money on the deal at that price. Look at this fancy dealership it's your responsibility to pay their rent. Their children are starving and only this sale will save them. The guy in back is angry at him for showing your offer. We wouldn't want the guy in back angry would we? Would you like a low cost OR a low monthly payment? You deserve this car, treat yourself right. etc....

The other dealers are selling below the BMW dealer used car price even at full retail because of the CPO warranty. A 29000 car with a cpo is 31000. A better warranty can be had at that other dealer from a third party for about the same price. They do it because.... BMWs sell and they're in the volume sale business. BMWs don't sit on their lots.

Check TRUECAR and EDMUNDS and KBB for the price of your used car for dealer trade-in. Those numbers are pretty accurate based on real numbers reported to motor vehicle departments and such. That should arm you.

Remember when you had to go to the library reference section and have to mimeograph the relevant KBB pages?

2013 328i "SnowWhite"
Old 06-29-2015, 06:47 PM

Mein Auto: 328i
p.s. the auction prices are always lower than KBB "Good" dealer trade in bottom price. That's how they "getcha". Your used car is never worth what it's worth. Their used car is always worth more than it's worth.

I have a lot of hate built-up to the auto industry and eager to help people not get ripped off.

PM me if you need more inforz
Old 06-29-2015, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimH46 View Post
No, not guessing. The sites will typically give you three numbers - dealer retail, private sale, and trade-in. Go to each site and look up the dealer retail for the car you are buying and the trade-in value for the car being traded in. Subtract the two. Do the same for each site to get a sense of how closely they compare. Hopefully they agree pretty well. However don't use the dealer retail number from one site and the trade-in number from another.
Great, will look into it.
Old 06-29-2015, 09:22 PM

Thanks for all the detailed guidance, this will help greatly.

I really want a E91 manual. But the only ones near me are sold by a Honda dealer. They don't seem to know what E90 is, or what package and option the car has. Even the model year seems questionable

Quote:
Originally Posted by wowblaise View Post
If you're guessing you're not getting the best deal. Not that you'll get a bad deal.

Actually I believe in looking at the KBB dealer trade in on "good" condition low-end of the car you are BUYING. That's a little more than they paid for it. That's your anchor point on the negotiation of the car you are buying. This is how you can get the "inside info" on the used car you are dealing on. If a 31,000 used car has a 22k KBB dealer trade in, they paid 21k. That's their profit margin 10k. Your best bet is to private sale your used car for under KBB for private sale. That's a little out of my reach logistically though....

They will tell you they are losing money on the deal at that price. Look at this fancy dealership it's your responsibility to pay their rent. Their children are starving and only this sale will save them. The guy in back is angry at him for showing your offer. We wouldn't want the guy in back angry would we? Would you like a low cost OR a low monthly payment? You deserve this car, treat yourself right. etc....

The other dealers are selling below the BMW dealer used car price even at full retail because of the CPO warranty. A 29000 car with a cpo is 31000. A better warranty can be had at that other dealer from a third party for about the same price. They do it because.... BMWs sell and they're in the volume sale business. BMWs don't sit on their lots.

Check TRUECAR and EDMUNDS and KBB for the price of your used car for dealer trade-in. Those numbers are pretty accurate based on real numbers reported to motor vehicle departments and such. That should arm you.

Remember when you had to go to the library reference section and have to mimeograph the relevant KBB pages?