Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > General BMW Questions

General BMW Questions
Use this forum to ask general question about the BMW ownership and keep up on the latest BMW news. Direct all model specific questions to model specific forums below.

Old 01-29-2016, 09:05 AM

Mein Auto: 1998 BMW z3M
Good, bad and ugly

Can I get some of the knowledgable z fans to weigh in on a couple of questions that I cannot seem to get a straight answer too? Thanks.
1. Of all the available motors that are in z3 cars from 1998 - ?namely Which eng. do you like as far as power, responsiveness ,matinence demands,flaws,repetitive repairs,and possible longtivity? 1.7, 1.9, 2.3, 2.5., 2.8., 3.0 (and the designation of i after the decimated number which may or may not be present.Are these est. liter sizes?)
2. Back in the day (yes, I'm ancient) if your car made it to 120,000 miles, it was time for the bone yard.With all the innovations, improved car design and technical advances what is mileage expectations with these particular engines and when is it time to expect avg. end of life wear?
3.mt 1998 z3 has chrome hoops that are extremely thick in dia.Ihave not seen this type of hoops on any other z3s( or 4s) What could be the origin of these and why chrome.They are factory installed( or very good dealership).
4.Is there an M designation fortune z that isn't considered an M roadster?If they had badges on front and back,certain features that were used that weren't used in basic zs,largest motor,etc.The dealer looked it up a said it was an M but I just don't see it.Anybody can put emblems on the car.Is there a way to find out with the vin to see if it indicates a ""M package"?
I'm sorry for all the silly questions.Please accept my apology if I seem so un BMW knowledgeable ,as these kind of details are what make me nuts and this site has so many " BMWers that are ' brimming' full of esoteric information( sorry,I had too.)waiting at your convince.Thanks again!
Advertisement
Old 01-29-2016, 11:40 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2001 Z3
The i after the model number means it is fuel injected. The engine designation means liter size. The 3.0 is the largest non m engine available. I have a 2001 3.0i Z3. It has 225 horsepower with an inline 6 cylinder. I go back to the days of 36 month payments and hoping the car lasted the full 36 months. With proper maintenance a Z3 can easily go well past the 120k threshold. My car has a M logo leather stearing wheel which was standard on my model even though it is not an M model. I am pretty sure most M models have dual exhausts on both sides of the rear end. They also have a bigger engine such as a 3.2, stronger suspension and other things. I am no expert on the M models but I can say my Z3 is the most fun car I ever had and I have had MG's, mustang, camaro and thunderbird to name a few.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150715_171846.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	149.1 KB
ID:	548452  

Last edited by z3jeff; 01-29-2016 at 11:43 AM.
Old 01-29-2016, 12:17 PM
Bimmerfest.com Founder

Mein Auto: Ti Silver 03 M3
I think these questions would be better answered in our Z3 forum. I can move your thread over for you if you'd like?

Tim

See More Related BMW Stories

Tags
end of life mileage for a bmw, z3 chrome hoops, z3 eng.designations, z3 mpackage

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > General BMW Questions
Today's Posts Search