Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > General BMW Questions

General BMW Questions
Use this forum to ask general question about the BMW ownership and keep up on the latest BMW news. Direct all model specific questions to model specific forums below.

Old 08-21-2015, 11:48 AM

Mein Auto: car
Costs To Own: E46 M3 vs 335i

I'm torn between these sweet verts two cars I'm considering. I'd only get both with 6MT

How about a 2006 M3, the last year of the E46s vs. 1st gen 2007 335i?

The 335i has newer technology so I'd assume easier less costly maintenance. Also a hardtop so more practical vs. the soft top M3. By practical too, I mean better as a daily driver.

Any other experiences to share? Thanks fellas.
Advertisement
Old 08-21-2015, 01:02 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 74 2002Lux, 2002 M Roadst
All things being equal, any M Car will be more labor intensive thus expensive to maintain, than a non M. I owned a 2002 S54 M Roadster for nine years did all the maint myself from brakes to valve adjustments to VANOS service, and can speak from experience reference maintenance requirement's for the S54 power plant.
Old 08-23-2015, 02:02 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E39 530i
That's a tough question. On one hand, there's the "M-tax" on any M3-specific parts. On the other hand, the E92 is a more complex car and has turbos. As an overall statistical trend, I think the E92 would have repairs needed less frequently, but would bite harder once it occurs.

However, the history of the individual car is far more important than model statistics. So it's worth getting either car checked over very carefully.

Quote:
Originally Posted by holytrails View Post
The 335i has newer technology so I'd assume easier less costly maintenance.
Unfortunately, the overwhelming trend is that newer technologies cost more to repair.
Old 08-23-2015, 07:24 AM
Retired Fed

Mein Auto: 2006 M5 E60
And the choice is..... M