Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > General BMW Questions

General BMW Questions
Use this forum to ask general question about the BMW ownership and keep up on the latest BMW news. Direct all model specific questions to model specific forums below.

Old 02-12-2015, 06:14 PM

Mein Auto: 535i
The Official BMWhat App Thread - from iViNi-apps

Folks,

I'm starting this thread on behalf and on a suggestion from Parvis and Arian from iViNi apps and the guys who develop and support the Android and iOS BMWhat app.

This started by me asking them to improve the documentation for their apps. They have a page that lists all the coding parameters available in the BMWhat app, many of them didn't make sense to me or just didn't understand them. They suggested that I start a thread to collect feedback from everyone and they'll update the documentation, reply to this thread to directly address users concerns/questions and eventually consolidate all the feedback to update the manual and create a new FAQ's page.

So please go ahead and post your feedback and ask your questions. Let make BMWhat app better and easier.

The Coding page:
http://www.ivini-apps.com/coding.html

The original communication with Parvis:
Quote:
We will provide a document with 2 sections online soon

One public open FAQ section where everyone can post questions (and even provide answers) - this section is free to be modified by everyone not just members of your forum but everyone who likes to contribute

And a second public answered FAQ section where the Q&A from the first will regularly be consolidated and structured with verified answers by us that section will be locked for writing by the public but of course open for everyone to read

Please give us some time to put together the first answered FAQ section and you may start gathering the most frequently asked questions in the forum.

Once you gathered a list of questions we will put them into the open FAQ section together with all the other users who posted questions to this open FAQ section

Then we will go through these and transfer them to the answered FAQ making sure that the questions are clear and the answer are correct

Just please send me the link to your thread so I can read the questions already while they are being gathered and already prepare the first answered FAQ section accordingly

Many thanks

Parvis
Advertisement
Old 02-12-2015, 08:32 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E60 2009 530i
Okay then let's start it

Q: I have made chances in coding section, however, I get an error when the App tries to write the new codes to the car.
A: If ignition is on try when ignition is off. If ignition is off try when ignition is on. (For me sometimes it works when ignition is off and sometimes when ignition is on).

Q: Do I need to turn ignition on to be able to connect to the car?
A: Most of the times no, however, some cases ignition needs to be turned on to be able to connect to car. (I never need it)

Q: Why some ECUs are greyed out in the coding?

Q: Why some ECUs don't respond in diagnostics? (32 out of 64 respond on my car)

Q: Why does diagnosis work but coding?
Old 02-12-2015, 08:57 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 325i
I want to buy the product. I have a 2006 E90 325i and an LG G3 Android phone. What do I need to buy?
Old 02-12-2015, 09:13 PM

Mein Auto: E60 2009 530i
go to http://www.ivini-apps.com/apps_detai...t_android.html
Select your car from drop down list.

You will see what you need.
Old 02-12-2015, 09:56 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW 335i
Cool, so Parvis and Arian are on Bimmerfest and will be responding here? Ok, so someone asked what is the follow me home code? And I increased the angel eye brightness but really don't know if that worked or not. With stock bulbs will it make a difference or is it more for upgraded bulbs?
Old 02-13-2015, 01:04 AM
Past Sponsor

Mein Auto: BMW
Hi, this is Parvis + Arian from BMWhat

...thanks to all of you for using the app and supporting us so much.

We are getting more and more feedback and questions that we barely can handle them one by one on our own anymore without taking too much time away from actually working on the app.

The more I really appreciate the idea and effort of this thread.

We will do our best that this here will become THE place to post questions and get ANSWERS quickly and reliably.

Especially Arian our coding expert is very glad about that since the coding questions keep increasing with each new coding he puts in the app
The more questions are being answered here the more time he has again for the app :-)

To make all this easy to use and keep structured over time we will provide an online BMWhat FAQ document with the two sections

1. open FAQ
Please just gather all your questions and answers here in this forum first, then consolidate them and copy them to this section
I would expect copying a consolidated set of Q&A from this forum to the open FAQs once per week to start with should be OK
The open FAQ section is open to everyone from this and other forums so we can gather all open Q&A in one place
We will regularly work through the open FAQ section on weekends and transfer them to the "answered FAQ"

2. answered FAQ
This will be the "clean" FAQ - growing over time and providing finalized correct consolidated answers to frequent questions

We will provide a link to the first online BMWhat FAQ document shortly

Kind regards and best greetings from Munich

Parvis + Arian

Last edited by Parvis_+_Arian; 02-13-2015 at 01:43 AM.
Old 02-13-2015, 01:43 AM

Mein Auto: E60 530i i6 M54B30
I really appreciate you taking the idea of customer service and crowd sourcing to next level by opening the FAQs to us here.

I am really hopeful this will open up more time for development for you guys.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
Old 02-13-2015, 06:59 AM

I have questions about the brake force display, taking the coding page - I am confused about them, see my comments below:

LMA: Brake force display
active
not active
BMWhat: Brake lights turn on or flash when braking hard.
COMMENT --> Don't understand, description says on or flash, settings say active or not active - so what is it? active is on or active is flash?

LMA: Brake force display - tail lights
on
flashing
BMWhat: Customization for tail lights for brake force display.
COMMENT --> I'm confused I see other tail light settings below - what is this?

LMA: Brake force display - angel eyes
off
on
flashing
BMWhat: Customization for angel eyes for brake force display.

LMA: Brake force display - outer brake lights
off
on
flashing
BMWhat: Customization for outer brake lights for brake force display.
COMMENT --> What are outer brake lights?

LMA: Brake force display - inner brake lights
off
on
flashing
BMWhat: Customization for inner brake lights for brake force display.
COMMENT --> What are inner brake lights?

LMA: Brake force display - rear fog lights
off
on
flashing
BMWhat: Customization for rear fog lights for brake force display.
COMMENT --> Where are rear fog lights?

thanks.
Old 02-13-2015, 07:01 AM

One other point another use had noted - when querying ECU's it say X responded out of Y? What does that mean? Does that mean the other ECU's are not working?
What if I turn on the "alternative" connection method or deep query method, will that make more ECU's respond? What is the downside/disadvantage to using the alternative or deep query method? thanks.
Old 02-13-2015, 10:21 AM
BMW CCA 69606

Mein Auto: '10 535i '08 X5 '00 528i
Can anyone confirm the following:
1) battery registration works with the iPhone version?
2) Live data works with iPhone version?
How do I access both?
Old 02-13-2015, 11:31 AM

Mein Auto: 328i XDrive 2009
Battery registration worked for me on the iPhone.
Old 02-13-2015, 11:37 AM

I had to open the + box at the bottom of the page after connecting, then click on battery registration, then change from my dongles wifi back to phone to pay the in app charge(9.99), then back to the dongle wifi and reconnect to finish the registration. Kinda confusing!
Old 02-13-2015, 12:30 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 328i
It would be best to declare up front what the in-app purchases are and how much. Not clear which models these apply to.

Why does the "Speedometer Correction" not work on US models? Is this ever going to change?

Does the "Temperature Warning" refer to the air low temperature warning (snowflake) or some other temperature (Engine? High Air temp?).

What are "follow me home lights?"

Is there any easy way to determine which key is which (1,2,3,4)?
Old 02-13-2015, 05:42 PM
BMW CCA 69606

Mein Auto: '10 535i '08 X5 '00 528i
Thanks. I don't remember the + on the bottom of the screen previously, maybe there has been an update.

If I pay to register an E60 battery do I have to pay again to register an E70/E90 or other battery?

Any idea about live data via iphone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBMAN View Post
I had to open the + box at the bottom of the page after connecting, then click on battery registration, then change from my dongles wifi back to phone to pay the in app charge(9.99), then back to the dongle wifi and reconnect to finish the registration. Kinda confusing!
Old 02-13-2015, 05:52 PM

There was an update. The registration is a one time fee. You can register unlimited batteries. I haven't tried the parameters yet, but they're supposed to be improved.
Old 02-13-2015, 06:08 PM

Here's another one from the coding page:
JBBF: Number of windscreen cleanings until headlight cleaning
BMWhat: Head lights are cleaner every 3rd, 5th, 7th or 9th time the windscreen is cleaned.
COMMENT --> I don't understand are you saying the headlights will be cleaned after every X wipes or after X times the windscreen wiper is manually activated by pulling the windscreen splash and clear level?
Old 02-14-2015, 01:45 PM
Past Sponsor

Hello

we have prepared the document with the two sections now.

Please check here:
http://tinyurl.com/BMWhat-FAQ-EN

Also Arian already improved the explanation text for break force display in the app - it will be available in the next update.

Once you are ready please just consolidate all your open questions under the Community-FAQ in the linked document.

We will go through them regularly and transfer them into the Official-FAQ

Many thanks

Parvis
Old 02-14-2015, 09:10 PM

Thanks Parvis, I have few thoughts:
Questions from other forums which I also find relevant (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...21#post8905021)
1. What is a "blank" line in dashboard
2. What is KOMBI - Light sensitivity in OBC
3. What is - FRM - Seatbelt hand-over
4. What is FRM - Follow Me Home Lights

From your FAQ's link:
1. When talking about using backups, it would helpful to point out where the latest/last back up resides instead of the oldest. Also give a reference to which one should one use? the latest or oldest? If it's the latest then I would suggest point out where the latest resides (top/bottom - how is it named/numbered, I can't figure it out what when I see it)
2. Line 38 when you talk about LED, I'm sorry but I didn't understand the answer or the question. What does code LED lights mean? The answer was also just as cryptic

All together another note, it would good if you can put a FAQ on why do you need different hardware for android and ios? Why can't bluetooth work in ios and why can't wifi work on android.

Thanks
Old 02-15-2015, 08:15 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 535i
I did a copy and paste of the BMWhat coding list just for our E60s (US only) and combined repetitive key 2 - 4 details into one to slim down the document.

What are all the newly added LMA "voltage monitoring" parameters about? What do they do and why would they be useful?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf BMW BMWhat E60 Coding Specs..pdf (77.0 KB, 1218 views)

2008 535i Monaco Blue
PP, SP, SAT w/paddles, ARS, CA, L7,
NAV, PDC, Heated F Seats, SIRIUS,
iPod+Aux, Bamboo Anthracite Trim,
Gray Dakota Leather
Old 02-15-2015, 10:28 AM

Mein Auto: 325xi wagon
This oil indicator would be way cool

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...ight=oil+gauge

Also some suggestion such as
add cdc or 6fl
for those retrofitting this option
turn off SOS in Kombi
For those retrofitting and aftermarket Head Unit.
Switch between
Hi Fi and L7 output for radio or idrive/nav
Old 02-15-2015, 02:40 PM

Mein Auto: E60 530i i6 M54B30
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctuna View Post

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...ight=oil+gauge

Also some suggestion such as
add cdc or 6fl
for those retrofitting this option
turn off SOS in Kombi
For those retrofitting and aftermarket Head Unit.
Switch between
Hi Fi and L7 output for radio or idrive/nav
I already requested them to enable MP3 playback. Perhaps we need to request these options more often to raise our voices...

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
Old 02-15-2015, 02:42 PM

Another one - this one I'm truly confused, what the difference between corrected speed and true speed? If true is the actual speed then what is corrected speed and why would one want it?

KOMBI: Digital speedometer correction
active
not active
BMWhat: Active: corrected speed is displayed in dashboard Inactive: true speed is displayed in
dashboard
KOMBI: Speedometer correction
active
not active
BMWhat: Active: corrected speed is displayed in dashboard Inactive: true speed is displayed in
dashboard/nDoes not work on US models.
Old 02-16-2015, 01:23 AM
Past Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrx5 View Post
Okay then let's start it

Q: I have made chances in coding section, however, I get an error when the App tries to write the new codes to the car.
A: If ignition is on try when ignition is off. If ignition is off try when ignition is on. (For me sometimes it works when ignition is off and sometimes when ignition is on).

Q: Do I need to turn ignition on to be able to connect to the car?
A: Most of the times no, however, some cases ignition needs to be turned on to be able to connect to car. (I never need it)

Q: Why some ECUs are greyed out in the coding?

=> the app asks many more ECUs that actually are present in the car just to ensure that as many ECUs are being identified as possible - for example it checks vearious engines - and of course there is only one in the car. Also this text should be displayed in the app itself during diag...

=> you mean diag works and coding not or vice versa?
if diag works but coding not it most often depends on te connection to the ECUs - diag is possible for older BMW models with BT/WIFI - but coding requires for the older BMW models the cable on Android or the new WIFI adapter for iPhone
Old 02-16-2015, 01:24 AM
Past Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BashedBarrique View Post
I want to buy the product. I have a 2006 E90 325i and an LG G3 Android phone. What do I need to buy?
=> please check www.ivini-tech.de

there you find all the info on adapters, models, for Android and iOS
Old 02-16-2015, 01:29 AM
Past Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunnypuppy View Post
One other point another use had noted - when querying ECU's it say X responded out of Y? What does that mean? Does that mean the other ECU's are not working?
What if I turn on the "alternative" connection method or deep query method, will that make more ECU's respond? What is the downside/disadvantage to using the alternative or deep query method? thanks.
Q: One other point another use had noted - when querying ECU's it say X responded out of Y? What does that mean? Does that mean the other ECU's are not working?
=> please see above the question regarding why do not all ECUs respond...

Q:hat if I turn on the "alternative" connection method or deep query method, will that make more ECU's respond? What is the downside/disadvantage to using the alternative or deep query method?
=> alternative connection can be used for certain cars if the app cannot connect after several times - normally one should not need to change that setting
=> "deep query method" will try to investigate all the queried ECUs several times even though they did not respond - whether they are present or not. So it takes much longer but kind of forces the ECUs to respond that require several requests - normally this is not required - but for ECUs with problems it can help to get the ECU to respond.
These 2 settings should be used in combination with only selecting the ECU in question and not all - sinc eit takes much longer than with the normal settings

See More Related BMW Stories

Tags
bmwhat, bmwhat app, bmwhatapp

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > General BMW Questions
Today's Posts Search