Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > General BMW

General BMW
Use this forum to talk about general BMW news/stories and to chat with fellow enthusiasts about the direction that BMW is going in for their cars and/or motorcycles!

Old 09-05-2014, 10:09 AM
Mullini

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW sDrive 28i X1
If BMW ownership could be revoked...

If BMW ownership could be revoked, then I nominate the lady driving a newer 5 series in the carpool lane of the south 405 Wednesday afternoon, West LA. In a rare mile or two where traffic was moving, I noticed myself passing carpool lane vehicles, which should be moving faster than regular traffic at that time of day. Finally I came upon the reason - a lady driving a newer 5 series at about 50 mph, with both hands on top of her steering wheel, gripping her phone as she texted. And she had a passenger! She could have handed the phone to the passenger and said "text this for me." And no one behind her honked. Cattle.

A few miles down the road traffic the regular lanes clogged up and she passed me on the left, having put the phone down.

It's up to the police to see her and ticket her, whatever. But why did she have to be in a BMW? When she bought it, during the test drive did she think, "What a beautiful performing vehicle...can't wait to text in it..."?
Advertisement
Old 09-05-2014, 10:25 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 09 335Cabrio zsp/11 335d
Texting and driving =
Old 09-05-2014, 03:03 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 535xi GT
A true, moronic idiot who might one day qualify for a Darwin Award.

She is a poor representative of BMW drivers and should have both her ownership and driver's license revoked.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile appo
Old 09-05-2014, 03:46 PM

Mein Auto: 2002 540i 6 speed Sport
What is a BMW driver?
Old 09-05-2014, 11:32 PM

Mein Auto:
I've wished that prospective BMW owners could be "screened" by a panel of REAL BMW drivers. "Sorry, you're driving techniques and profile aren't up to our standards. As a result, you are restricted to driving a corolla"!

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 09-06-2014, 06:02 AM

Mein Auto: 09 335Cabrio zsp/11 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcozandrini View Post
I've wished that prospective BMW owners could be "screened" by a panel of REAL BMW drivers. "Sorry, you're driving techniques and profile aren't up to our standards. As a result, you are restricted to driving a corolla"!

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
too funny. I think some countries do restrict what kind of car a person can drive based on their drivers license classification. ie if you are too young, you are not permitted to drive a car with too much power. I don't know if you are not allowed to buy it, or just can't drive it on public streets. N4S
Old 09-06-2014, 06:56 AM

Mein Auto: 535i
When I see the driver of a car next to me texting, I lay on the horn. They always stop texting.
Old 09-06-2014, 07:30 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 550i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autoputzer View Post
When I see the driver of a car next to me texting, I lay on the horn. They always stop texting.
I tried this once. All it got me was the finger!!
Old 09-06-2014, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campfamily View Post
You pro'lly did it too early. You have to let them get engrossed in texting before summoning them back to reality with the horn.

A friend of mine did this, and the texting woman started swerving, over-correcting, and almost went off the road.
Old 09-06-2014, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel720 View Post
What is a BMW driver?

The two posts after yours should have given you an idea but for me it is someone who appreciates a BMW for what it brings as an experience and not merely a method to get from Point A to Point B. A BMW driver (likeany who drive other makes) recognizes the morons on the road who annoy, concern and threaten all the non-morons on the road.

There are already lots of those "out there" who dislike BMW drivers for all types of unfair, sterotypical reasons and the moronic texter reflects poorly on BMW drivers who would never do that.

Old 09-06-2014, 10:06 AM

Mein Auto: '13 Diesel X5 & MBZ R350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campfamily View Post
Better a finger than a gun pointed in your face.... Have you seen all the car to car shootings lately here in So Cal ???

Yeah, these drivers on the road scare me every time I take the BMW on the road - cringe is a better word...

Insurance - no wonder my rates don't drop after driving perfectly for the past 35 years and now that I am a "Mature Driver" I have to take a course online to keep my rate the same - what a shame other drivers have on people who pay for others mistakes....
Old 09-08-2014, 08:11 AM

Mein Auto: 08 650I Convertible
I noticed that both encounters on here were with "women" texting..

My father is 85 and takes AARP driving classes every year for insurance purposes..

At his last class the instructor said the most recent stats showed the most DANGEROUS drivers on the road are women 22 - 40, due to TEXTING and BLABBING on the phone..

Not sure if anyone else notices but most of the car commercials I see talk more about "blue tooth" compatability than handling...

I hope the insurance companies are nailing them like they did me as a "single male under 25" with a corvette when I was 19....
Old 09-08-2014, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick D View Post
I noticed that both encounters on here were with "women" texting..

My father is 85 and takes AARP driving classes every year for insurance purposes..

At his last class the instructor said the most recent stats showed the most DANGEROUS drivers on the road are women 22 - 40, due to TEXTING and BLABBING on the phone..

Not sure if anyone else notices but most of the car commercials I see talk more about "blue tooth" compatability than handling...

I hope the insurance companies are nailing them like they did me as a "single male under 25" with a corvette when I was 19....
Women 22-40: I believe it. The few men I've see talking and driving were going 20 MPH under the speed limit in the left lane. I guess they were doing that "for safety."

Congratulations on having a Corvette at 19... and living to tell about it. I bet the 19 year old honeys like that car.
Old 09-09-2014, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autoputzer View Post
Women 22-40: I believe it. The few men I've see talking and driving were going 20 MPH under the speed limit in the left lane. I guess they were doing that "for safety."

Where I live, your observation is just as applicable. Drives me nuts......