Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > General BMW Questions

General BMW Questions
Use this forum to ask general question about the BMW ownership and keep up on the latest BMW news. Direct all model specific questions to model specific forums below.

Old 08-19-2016, 01:35 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 528i
Does BMW dealer creates problems on purpose?

I feel like every time i take my bmw to the stealer for service, i have a new major issue 1-2 weeks later. i try not to take it to the stealer, but sometimes i want my car to be checked by bmw professionals. Yet i keep having new crazy problems after every time.
Am i the only one or is happened to you guys before as well?
Advertisement
Old 08-20-2016, 05:16 AM
Retired Fed

Mein Auto: 2006 M5 E60
Sure you're not, that's why most go to Indy shops
Old 08-20-2016, 05:48 AM
Nuclear engineer

Mein Auto: 2012 X5 35d (E70)
Quote:
Originally Posted by M5Fed View Post
Sure you're not, that's why most go to Indy shops
That/this is a good recommendation to Indies!

I've been to two dealerships and one Indy in 16 months. One dealership I am not likely to go back to, the other has not been dismissed yet. I'll always at least consult with the Indy first.
Old 08-20-2016, 09:22 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 320i, X3 and X5
Do this test, on a day when you feel great, no pains, nothing, go to the doctor and Ill bet he will find an unimaginable numbers of problems. the same happens with cars.
Old 08-21-2016, 12:13 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Robin128
Mein Auto: 340i M Sport,Volvo T5 man
Whenever, and wherever I place either car for maintenance, with or without warranty cover, I always get paranoid. Sitting in waiting room whilst MOT being performed is worse than the dentist.

Before I found a trusted Indy, what 30 years ago back in Swansea, any garage would rip me off. Anything from putting a screwdriver thru a cvj boot to saying they did more work when they hadn't.

Always a Pelican event...big bill.

One should treat others as one would like others to treat oneself.

Last edited by Robin128; 08-21-2016 at 12:16 AM.
Old 08-21-2016, 05:46 AM

Mein Auto:
Try www.bimrs.org to find a reputable indie shop in your area. Also, contact members of the local chapter of the BMWCCA for recommendations. Dealers prey upon on customers who know nothing about their car.
Old 08-23-2016, 04:45 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 528xi
Just because you only think you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you!
Old 08-23-2016, 05:01 AM

Mein Auto: 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyder1963 View Post
Just because you only think you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you!
I prefer the term "acute situational awareness."
Old 08-23-2016, 05:30 AM

Mein Auto: 128i Cabriolet '12
what...... not true at all, wrong analogy; my doc doesnt find anything wrong with me even when there is. evn my dentist doesnt try and rip me off.

Car dealers are about MONEY, there again most I've been to will just confirm all is ok (car dealers indy or otherwise)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgarciah View Post
Do this test, on a day when you feel great, no pains, nothing, go to the doctor and Ill bet he will find an unimaginable numbers of problems. the same happens with cars.
Old 08-23-2016, 05:32 AM

Mein Auto: 128i Cabriolet '12
ACTUALLY,,,, i see your point and feel your pain,

I swear (my last car) it was outta the shop for a good year , I did all the work and maintenance,

Then my garage was being reworked and I had to take it in for something minor,
my car went in there after 4 times in the same year for like different things

so yes,, I'm paranoid

"Yeah while the car is here, lets loosen this bolt so he has to come in, in a few months"
I swaer thats true

Quote:
Originally Posted by slevinkelevra View Post
I feel like every time i take my bmw to the stealer for service, i have a new major issue 1-2 weeks later. i try not to take it to the stealer, but sometimes i want my car to be checked by bmw professionals. Yet i keep having new crazy problems after every time.
Am i the only one or is happened to you guys before as well?
Old 08-23-2016, 05:41 AM
Nuclear engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaye944 View Post
[ ... ]"Yeah while the car is here, lets loosen this bolt so he has to come in, in a few months" I swaer thats true
That would be at least tortious if not criminal.

IMO that they are not taught to be gentle, careful and cautious and to follow published procedures.

DEF active and passive tanks are made of plastic with many penetrating fittings, thus relatively fragile. There is no BMW procedure to fill a DEF tank with a nozzle-hose-pump-tank rig, likely for the flow impulse - water-hammer - on going full against a tiny airstone vent filter. The BMW bottle fill procedure cautions to not overfill the DEF tank.
Old 08-23-2016, 06:18 AM

Mein Auto: 535i
I love my dealership, Sansing BMW in Pensacola.

Years ago, my E46 M3's wipers stopped working. The BMW diagnostic equipment said that a $400 control module was bad. The car was old, so they had to order the part from Germany. I had their 5 Series loaner for about five days, including a weekend. They pulled my car inside the shop over the weekend, and put it up on a lift to keep the after-hours cleaning crew from getting near it. (The service manager loved E46 M3's.) When the part came in, it didn't fix the problem. They started manually troubleshooting the problem and found a bad $2 relay. They charged me $90 for a hour's labor. That experience is what made me buy a 515i instead of a 911 this time around. Sansing almost bought the local Porsche dealership when it went belly up a few years ago. If they had, I'd be on a Porsche board now. Sansing's service, and the lousy sales experience at the local Honda and Hyundai dealerships, is why Frau Putzer's getting an X3 when the new ones come out.

We're moving to Tennessee in a couple of years. I dread having to go to another BMW dealership for service. I might schedule major service with our trips back down here.
Old 08-23-2016, 06:26 AM
Nuclear engineer

Diagnostic equipment once upon a time was chicken bones. Technology sufficiently advanced is not different from magic.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > General BMW Questions
Today's Posts Search