Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > General BMW Questions

General BMW Questions
Use this forum to ask general question about the BMW ownership and keep up on the latest BMW news. Direct all model specific questions to model specific forums below.

Old 08-31-2016, 09:14 PM

Mein Auto: 135i Coup
BMW Seats

I apologize for being off topic on this forum. I posted this on the 1 series form but no one is responding. There needs to be a general mechanical form that is not model specific. Anyway here goes.

I own a 2012 135i E-822/N55. it has the M-Sport package, which has what I believe are the sport seats. The seats are very good looking but they hurt my back. I mean really hurt. The lower back support feels like a large rock sticking in my back. If I adjust it another way it feels like a round steel rod going down the length of the seat top to bottom.

It feels like I am sitting on the seats instead of in them. I have had the car a year now and I have just put up with it because the rest of the car is so good. Now I am having terrible back pain, I am sure it is from those seats.

I have tried every adjustment there is on those seats and nothing makes it right, just a little less bad. I can hear the air coming out of the lower lumbar support but it doesn't go down enough. My wife has a 2013 Golf and the seats in it are fantastic. She hates the seats in my car. I am not a big guy, 5, 7 150lb. I feel this is set for someone over six foot, 180lb. I don't really need any extra support. Does anyone else have this problem? Is there a fix besides trading for an Audi? I really like my car but for those lousy seats.

David

Last edited by Rally1now; 08-31-2016 at 09:19 PM.
Advertisement
Old 09-01-2016, 06:00 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto:
You wrote that the lumbar support is too hard. You could remove the cover on the seat and replace the lumbar support materiel with a softer material. With the cover off you can experiment with various materials and shapes.
Old 09-01-2016, 06:54 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 X5D; 2016 428i
I've heard lots of laments about BMWs...everything from the steering to the control stalks.

This is a first.

In my mind, if you're uncomfortable in a BMW seat, then you'll likely never be comfortable in ANY car. In my opinion, BMW makes the best seats.
Old 09-01-2016, 07:02 AM

Mein Auto: '13 535xDrive; '98 Z3 2.8
I have "similar" seats in our 2013 X1 3.5 MSport ... they seem slightly more firm and a slightly 'smaller fit' than the multi-contour seats in our 2013 xDrive 535 BUT by no means "hard" with a lumbar issue. I suspect the OP hasn't managed to make the seat adjustments necessary to fit his/her physique OR might be better off shopping for vehicles that are more intended for comfort than secure seating. BTW I'm 5'11" / 185lbs - my wife is 5'10" / 135lbs and "older adults" so we are looking for seats that don't punish old bones and our BMWs meet that criteria perfectly!

And, I DO NOT RECOMMEND reconstructing the seats / padding etc!! That might compromise the built-in "safety features" engineered by BMW.

Good luck getting adjusted.

"Seek and ye shall find" ... start with your owner's manual!

Click on the MrRebates logo/link below for cash back savings at on-line stores like Tirerack!
Mr. Rebates
Old 09-02-2016, 06:51 AM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by luigi524td View Post
I have "similar" seats in our 2013 X1 3.5 MSport ... they seem slightly more firm and a slightly 'smaller fit' than the multi-contour seats in our 2013 xDrive 535 BUT by no means "hard" with a lumbar issue. I suspect the OP hasn't managed to make the seat adjustments necessary to fit his/her physique OR might be better off shopping for vehicles that are more intended for comfort than secure seating. BTW I'm 5'11" / 185lbs - my wife is 5'10" / 135lbs and "older adults" so we are looking for seats that don't punish old bones and our BMWs meet that criteria perfectly!

And, I DO NOT RECOMMEND reconstructing the seats / padding etc!! That might compromise the built-in "safety features" engineered by BMW.

Good luck getting adjusted.

Good points!

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > General BMW Questions
Today's Posts Search