Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > General BMW Questions

General BMW Questions
Use this forum to ask general question about the BMW ownership and keep up on the latest BMW news. Direct all model specific questions to model specific forums below.

Old 08-22-2015, 04:38 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 335I e90
leaving the car for 3 months

I'm in a vacation right now, and is it okay to leave it 3 months without driving it or start up the engine?? If I do, what will happened and what can I do?
Advertisement
Old 08-22-2015, 05:38 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto:
Several things need to be done before leaving the car for 3 months:
- fill the gas tank
- optional - add Stabil fuel stabilizer to the tank
- fresh oil & filter change
- hook up an intelligent battery maintainer to the battery (do not use a "trickle charger")

Alternatively, you can remove the battery and store it in a refrigerator (yes) to prevent discharge. But, the battery will need to warm up a bit before using.
Old 08-22-2015, 05:45 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 X5 35d (E70)
Put it up on blocks, deflate the tires slightly, cover them, or remove them to indoor storage.
Old 08-22-2015, 08:21 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 335I e90
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcozandrini View Post
Several things need to be done before leaving the car for 3 months:
- fill the gas tank
- optional - add Stabil fuel stabilizer to the tank
- fresh oil & filter change
- hook up an intelligent battery maintainer to the battery (do not use a "trickle charger")

Alternatively, you can remove the battery and store it in a refrigerator (yes) to prevent discharge. But, the battery will need to warm up a bit before using.
I remember I filled up my tank with premium gas, but I didn't change my oil and hook up the battery. My oil has about 500miles on it, and what will happen to my battery?
Old 08-22-2015, 09:06 AM

Mein Auto: 2016 340i Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by ycy.yeung.cy View Post
I remember I filled up my tank with premium gas, but I didn't change my oil and hook up the battery. My oil has about 500miles on it, and what will happen to my battery?
In three months you can just about bet that it will be dead. I would put a float charger on it. If you go to Amazon and search for "Deltran battery tender" you will find one that is the same one BMW sells with their own brand on it.
Old 08-22-2015, 09:24 AM

Mein Auto: '07 328iT.'13 Boxster
Quote:
Originally Posted by ycy.yeung.cy View Post
As BMW specifies a yearly oil change, I wouldn't change the oil again. But (especially if your gas contains ethanol) I would definitely add fuel stabilizer to the gas tank and then drive the car briefly to circulate the treated gas. And, yes, hook up a battery tender or be prepared to deal with a dead battery upon your return.

Tom