Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > Ask-A-Dealer

Ask-A-Dealer
Talk to our team of BMW Client Advisors. Get all of your buying/financing/leasing questions answered here!

Old 01-22-2003, 11:20 AM
Adolescent On-Call

Mein Auto: 330i
Angry WARNING - Rear Air Bags inactive!

If you ordered Rear Air Bags... They may be INACTIVE!!!

I ordered the Rear Air Bags, but the car was delivered with the bags "NOT ACTIVATED." (It took 3 weeks to finally notice the little sticker on the door frame.) So, I call service, and they say, "Oh yeah, you have to have the bags activated - I'll schedule an appointment. It takes half a day." BIG inconvenience! And, no one ever told me the things were inactive! Besides, what idiot at BMW decided to deliver cars with inactive air bags?!

Isn't it REASONABLE to expect everything on the car to ACTUALLY function, when the car is delivered?
Old 01-22-2003, 11:22 AM

Mein Auto: .
Re: WARNING - Rear Air Bags inactive!

Quote:
Originally posted by machmeter
If you ordered Rear Air Bags... They may be INACTIVE!!!

I ordered the Rear Air Bags, but the car was delivered with the bags "NOT ACTIVATED." (It took 3 weeks to finally notice the little sticker on the door frame.) So, I call service, and they say, "Oh yeah, you have to have the bags activated - I'll schedule an appointment. It takes half a day." BIG inconvenience! And, no one ever told me the things were inactive! Besides, what idiot at BMW decided to deliver cars with inactive air bags?!

Isn't it REASONABLE to expect everything on the car to ACTUALLY function, when the car is delivered?
it's a safety concern. If there are ever going to be kids in your back seat, leave them inactive

To clasp the hands in prayer is the beginning of an uprising against the disorder of the world.
Old 01-22-2003, 11:46 AM
Adolescent On-Call

Re: Re: WARNING - Rear Air Bags inactive!

Quote:
Originally posted by atyclb
it's a safety concern. If there are ever going to be kids in your back seat, leave them inactive
My car is an Official Child-Free Zone!

I understand the concern, but I knew the safety considerations WHEN I ordered the car, so I just assumed the bags would be active. Otherwise, what is one supposed to do - run to Service before and after every trip with a child? ON-OFF-ON-OFF?

There ought to be switch.
Old 01-22-2003, 11:57 AM
BMW Doc Emeritus

Mein Auto: BMW
I had them on my '99 323, and at that time they came active.

Around the time that I was negotiating the *****back and swap for my '00, there was a big thing in the news about the safety of side airbags, since there were few or no safety regulations that manufacturers had to meet. The study showed that the airbags were often inflating with excessive force, and they were a great risk for small children. As a result, BMW (as well as other manufacturers, I am sure...) deactivated the rear airbags. The front side airbags are active because both the driver and front passenger should be old enough and big enough to be safe in the event that the airbag deploys.

The airbags have been like this for over 3 years. It is a safety concern. BMW is not at fault here, it just sounds like your dealer forgot to mention this to you.
Old 01-22-2003, 12:36 PM
fahrer

Mein Auto: doesn't have rear fogs!
I realized it about my car after delivery as well.

I'm just planning to have them activated at my first free oil change.
(This month.)
Old 01-22-2003, 01:21 PM
Adolescent On-Call

Quote:
Originally posted by bluer1
I realized it about my car after delivery as well.

I'm just planning to have them activated at my first free oil change.
(This month.)
That's a good idea I hadn't considered - wait for a scheduled service to avoid the hassle. Thanks.
Old 01-22-2003, 02:29 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Nick325xiT 5spd Send a message via AIM to Nick325xiT 5spd Send a message via Yahoo to Nick325xiT 5spd
Mein Auto: M3 & 323i/999 KP
It does NOT take half a day to activate them. They can be done with the key preferences. When I went to VOB to have mine activated, they gave me a lot of crap about it until they realized that it was nice and easy.

They gave me some line about previous models requiring actual work to activate the bags.
1990 325is Brilliantrot/Tan
1989 325is S50B30US Alpinweiß/Black
1989 M3 Alpinweiß/Black S50B32 (321hp, ITBs)

Old 01-22-2003, 02:39 PM
BMW Doc Emeritus

Quote:
Originally posted by Nick325xiT 5spd

They gave me some line about previous models requiring actual work to activate the bags.
On some models, that is true. You have to take the door panel off and do some stuff inside the door.

Did they make you sign any authorization forms??
Old 01-22-2003, 02:42 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Nick325xiT 5spd Send a message via AIM to Nick325xiT 5spd Send a message via Yahoo to Nick325xiT 5spd
Quote:
Originally posted by DrBimmer
On some models, that is true. You have to take the door panel off and do some stuff inside the door.

Yep. Signed on the dotted line acknowledging that under no circumstances is BMW resonsible for the safety of anyone in the car.

Old 01-22-2003, 02:48 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 04 330 cic ED
Is it better, then, not to get the rear airbags? I'm looking at a convertible, so I figured it would be a good idea to have them.
Old 01-22-2003, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by jrubens
Is it better, then, not to get the rear airbags? I'm looking at a convertible, so I figured it would be a good idea to have them.
It's bad only if you have tiny children, and ESPECIALLY a car seat.

Old 01-23-2003, 01:48 AM
?

Mein Auto: 2013 740i
Quote:
Originally posted by DrBimmer

My Euro-delivered '03 530 also had the rear airbags deactivated.

And to activate them, the technician had to remove the door panel and physically connect the wires!

ian
Old 01-24-2003, 01:18 PM
Adolescent On-Call

Quote:
Originally posted by roots
My Euro-delivered '03 530 also had the rear airbags deactivated.

And to activate them, the technician had to remove the door panel and physically connect the wires!

ian
How inconvenient. BMW really ought to take care of this BEFORE the car is delivered. Simply ask us if we want the rear ir bags activated, have us sign the forms, etc., and then we could avoid the hassle.
Old 01-24-2003, 01:43 PM
BMW Doc Emeritus

Quote:
Originally posted by machmeter
How inconvenient. BMW really ought to take care of this BEFORE the car is delivered. Simply ask us if we want the rear ir bags activated, have us sign the forms, etc., and then we could avoid the hassle.
True, but it is one of those things like Car & Key Memory--- it is your dealer's responsibility to inform you about it if you do not already know it. It is not BMWNA's fault that the dealer forgot to do its job.

You bought your car from the dealer, not directly from BMWNA. Part of the purpose of the dealer is to sell the vehicle to the customer and then inform them about all the features of the new car upon delivery. Failing to mention the key programming, airbag activiation process, etc. is stupidity on the dealer's part.